• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

NARCAN

midgy

Bluelighter
Has anyone ever Od'd or felt like they took fent when not expecting it and administered Narcan to themselves? Is this even possible in an actual situation? I know Overdosing can be immediate, but I don't shoot any drugs. Only up the nose or mouth.

I’ve done a shot of heroin and ran to my
Kitchen to grab the narcan. I decided against using it that day and was okay. However most of the time that I’ve overdosed it’s been undetectable. Once I even overdosed while driving and put my seatbelt on but was so high the thought of pulling over or doing something about it was beyond my mental capacity (I snorted heroin 5-10 minutes earlier) I crashed on the highway and ended up being narcan’d by a state trooper which probably saved my life.

Most of the time this is unrealistic scenario, especially IV. I’ve seen someone overdose within 15 seconds of removing the needle boom out on the floor.

Most of my overdoses I’ve just woken up like damn what the fuck happened, even from snorting.

I’ve done a shot of heroin and ran to my
Kitchen to grab the narcan. I decided against using it that day and was okay. However most of the time that I’ve overdosed it’s been undetectable. Once I even overdosed while driving and put my seatbelt on but was so high the thought of pulling over or doing something about it was beyond my mental capacity (I snorted heroin 5-10 minutes earlier) I crashed on the highway and ended up being narcan’d by a state trooper which probably saved my life.

Most of the time this is unrealistic scenario, especially IV. I’ve seen someone overdose within 15 seconds of removing the needle boom out on the floor.

Most of my overdoses I’ve just woken up like damn what the fuck happened, even from snorting.
You overdosed literally 5-10 minutes later? That seems like a long time. Why did it take so long you think compared to other times?

You overdosed literally 5-10 minutes later? That seems like a long time. Why did it take so long you think compared to other times?

Depends on the amount taken and the strength of the dope honestly as well as tolerance. And honestly it was probably more like 20 minutes later. Snorting isn’t instant some people overdose 30 minutes - 1 hour after dosing

Has anyone ever Od'd or felt like they took fent when not expecting it and administered Narcan to themselves? Is this even possible in an actual situation? I know Overdosing can be immediate, but I don't shoot any drugs. Only up the nose or mouth.
Not me. Interesting question though.

Closest would be taking stimulants when i felt like i was uncontrollably nodding off and wanted to stay awake at all costs. Not a good solution.

Depends on the amount taken and the strength of the dope honestly as well as tolerance. And honestly it was probably more like 20 minutes later. Snorting isn’t instant some people overdose 30 minutes - 1 hour after dosing
Whaaaaat really? Surely you would be nodding like crazy though before actually falling out, right? I use very little, average around .3 - .5/g per day up the nose which really isn't THAT much. I don't generally nod out until late at night after a full day etc... I go to the gym almost daily and eat pretty healthy as well. I really want to try the burnese method with the subs to get off this shit once and for all.

One time after we shot up in the car my boyfriend was driving us home and absolutely nothing seemed out of place, we were having a conversation i was watching the usual scenery on the 5-10 minute drive. We pull in our driveway and the conversation seemed to take a weird turn and i was looking at him in the drivers seat, then i turned and he was standing next to the passenger door holding me by my shirt. I kept asking what the hell was going on and he said I had been out the whole ride home but he didn’t realize how bad until we got home and i didn’t open my eyes or move when he said my name. He had gotten out, ran around to my side and was shaking me, slapped my face several times(hard) until i finally came out of it. I didn’t believe him i kept insisting i remembered the whole drive and repeated our conversation, he said nope never happened. I was out like a minute after the shot. Thankfully i came out on my own but it was so bizarre.

Not me. Interesting question though.

Closest would be taking stimulants when i felt like i was uncontrollably nodding off and wanted to stay awake at all costs. Not a good solution.

I agree. This really is an interesting question and one that I think has been overlooked thus far, which isn't good. The nature of addiction to Opioids often makes intravenous injection the proverbial "last stop" before jails, institutions and/or death. Being an IV user often implies that an individual is taking risks with their usage. I really am not at all aware of the statistics here, but I would wager purely off the top of my head that injection usage accounts for the vast majority of Opioid overdoses.

The short answer here is yes. You can definitely administer Naloxone (Narcan) yourself if you think you're in a bad situation. If you overdose by IV injection, you're not likely to have any time to gather your Naloxone and administer it before you drop. If you insufflate or even use by the intramuscular route, you have significantly more time to analyze your state and decide if you need to intervene.

I think as daily users of Opioids, we definitely know rather quickly whether something is not right or we have done too much. Like I said, when we IV, we realize we've done too much, but this is literally seconds before unconsciousness typically. I think by other routes of administration all the way up to intramuscular, you probably do have time to administer the Naloxone. I feel like this would only be truly effective, however, if you preplan and make sure you have your Naloxone nearby and assembled (sometimes you have to put a cap on the barrel, screw it in etc.).

I'm with Negrogesic, this is a really interesting topic and one that I've kind of mused over in the past. I'd love to hear from other people; opinions, experiences and so on. Really good question OP!

I agree. This really is an interesting question and one that I think has been overlooked thus far, which isn't good. The nature of addiction to Opioids often makes intravenous injection the proverbial "last stop" before jails, institutions and/or death. Being an IV user often implies that an individual is taking risks with their usage. I really am not at all aware of the statistics here, but I would wager purely off the top of my head that injection usage accounts for the vast majority of Opioid overdoses.

The short answer here is yes. You can definitely administer Naloxone (Narcan) yourself if you think you're in a bad situation. If you overdose by IV injection, you're not likely to have any time to gather your Naloxone and administer it before you drop. If you insufflate or even use by the intramuscular route, you have significantly more time to analyze your state and decide if you need to intervene.

I think as daily users of Opioids, we definitely know rather quickly whether something is not right or we have done too much. Like I said, when we IV, we realize we've done too much, but this is literally seconds before unconsciousness typically. I think by other routes of administration all the way up to intramuscular, you probably do have time to administer the Naloxone. I feel like this would only be truly effective, however, if you preplan and make sure you have your Naloxone nearby and assembled (sometimes you have to put a cap on the barrel, screw it in etc.).

I'm with Negrogesic, this is a really interesting topic and one that I've kind of mused over in the past. I'd love to hear from other people; opinions, experiences and so on. Really good question OP!
Where can people get Narcan? I am in FL and have never seen or heard anyone around with it?

Where can people get Narcan? I am in FL and have never seen or heard anyone around with it?
Not sure, I would check walgreens or CVS, I'm sure they are readily available over the counter. I wonder if narcam would work with a xanax OD

Not sure, I would check walgreens or CVS, I'm sure they are readily available over the counter. I wonder if narcam would work with a xanx OD
Hey man, found this for you. Hope it helps.

Quote:

Good to know: In the United States, naloxone is classified as a prescription medication, though it is not a controlled substance. While it is legal to prescribe naloxone in every state, dispensing the drug by medical professionals (including physicians or other licensed prescribers) at the point of service is subject to rules that vary by jurisdiction. In the following states, you can purchase naloxone from a pharmacist directly without getting a prescription from a doctor: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Hey midgy. So, in Florida specifically, they have what's called a standing order for dispensing at the pharmacy. What I believe this implies for you, is that you can purchase Naloxone from a pharmacy without training in its use, which was previously required by more antiquated Naloxone-access laws. In New England including the South like Boston and Providence and Vermont all have a similar law in place, but Naloxone is also widely available free of charge through Harm Reduction programs like syringe-exchanges.

I have never had to actually buy Naloxone myself, but I'm proud to say I've Narcan-ed three people in my life, one of whom overdosed on the very dope that he stole from me, so, for those who doubt the humanity of Keif' Richards, there is still a shred left. Anyway, CVS is the most widespread Pharmacy chain in the country and they offer the most competitive pricing as far as I've found.

You're going to pay about $30.00 for a pack of 2 Intranasal Naloxone Doses. It's worth it obviously, but this is a typical case of a public not fully realizing how addicts function. Paying 30 dollars for something extra when you're barely able to afford your drugs every day, makes that 30 dollars a pretty effective barrier for access to actual addicts.

For this reason, I think it's really important to check out local syringe-exchange programs for free supplies. I've been to a few up here and the general practice is to turn in your used doses at which point you will get new ones.

Where are you located in Florida exactly? I can contact some syringe-exchanges in your area if I know where you are. You can do the same just as easily, but let me know if you want further assistance.

Not sure, I would check walgreens or CVS, I'm sure they are readily available over the counter. I wonder if narcam would work with a xanax OD
Narcan only works with opioids so not with Xanax, which is a completely different class of med.
The antidote for benzos ODs is called flumazenil and it's not available to buy over the counter. It's also IV only so wouldn't be easy to administer it for someone who's got no IV training in an emergency. It's used in hospital settings only.

The link is a UK one but it's just to explain what the substance is. It's not gonna be different in any other part of the world.

Last edited:

That was my experience. The rush was insane, but it just wouldn't stop. Basically dead within seconds, but due to friends administering CPR until the paramedics arrived, I lived to shoot another day... :\

This is crazy. This question is literally the reason I came on this website in the first place. For some background I'm a daily heroin user smoke about half a gram a day and use about a half gram to a gram of meth every day sometimes I shoot the meth but usually I smoke it. Okay so basically I couldn't get a hold of any heroin all day and all I could find was this terrible shitty low grade heroin cut strongly with fentanyl —which I really detest but I didn't want to be dope sick. So I sat in bed and smoked TEENY amounts of the fent-laced-smack I had found from a friend. I kept passing out (but partly bc I was like in my effing bed and in pajamas so it wasn't always exactly a "NOD" per SE) and then I would wake up like every one or two hours and I would hit the fent-dope-shit each time I awoke...don't ask I just was in a weird mood so did this like all night. By morning I smoked a decent sized hit of the fent laced heroin crap that I had and I started feeling like I was goin to OD. I just felt my breathing was weird andy vision got strained and I just had this feeling that I had over done it from smoking all night like that. (in hindsight, I am unclear on whether I was just being paranoid and actually probably wous have been fine...i suspect that is the case but ...well read on you'll see)...Okay so here comes the good part. LIKE A DUMBASS , I self administered narcan with the nasal spray. Like within two minutes I felt CRAZY HORRIBLE LIKE LITERALLY HAVE NEVER FELT THIS BAD IN MY LIFE. it sort of felt as if I went I to some kind of hyperspeed wormhole space tunnel thing idk. That's just how it felt. Like tunnel vision and this whooshing feeling of speeding air felt like it was rushing by my head constantly. Very debilitated. Felt inhuman and nauseuas and just fucked up as hell man. Also I projectile vomited like never before somehow making it to the toilet thankfully. After puking some and still feeling terrified and still experiencing the "wind tunnel" of doom thing, I decided to call 911. I just thought maybe I was going into precipitated withdrawal ,or, shoot, maybe I am allergic to narcan — because I am telling you I had a VERY STRONG AND VERY NEGATIVE reaction to the stuff. I still believe this cannot be the standard way this stuff (narcan nasal spray) affects people. The doctors didn't know what to make of it either , which also implies that not everyone reacts this way to it (narcan) - even WITH opiates in their system. ANYWAY : All the way to the ER I was screaming and they probably thought I was a nut job but somehow they didn't send me to psych thankfully at cedars hospital. All I remember was being freezing and not at all able to feel normal and like I think I was in shock. I also remember I kept yelling/screaming uncontrollably — no like Literally I couldn't help it or control these outbursts. Weird. I've never EVER in my life experienced a feeling like this. It was AWFUL AND VERY scary. I still am not 100% that that was a standard reaction to narcan , but seeing as it can revive people and bring them back from practically death with stopped breathing etc. , like, that just tells you that it is hella strong shit and certainly must do a number on your body to jolt it out of a sedated unconscious state of any standard opiate OD. Baha! Yo, AND MY DUMB ASS TOOK IT WHILE I WAS AWAKE, just — it's a very strong strong kick in the pants so use caution.. if you have opiates in your system when you take narcan, it REVERSES THEM ~ Very quickly! Which strips all the heroin and or fent from your receptors and blocks them and so you experience HELL pretty much. Luckily this crazy feeling wore off within like two hours of being at the hospital (stuck in the hallway of course since I was just your lowly junkie so I didn't get a room or anything fancy.) Most people will just say that that WAS precipitated withdrawal that I experienced, (which I get it - that makes sense to assume) but my response to that is that I've been dope sick countless times and this felt NOTHING like dope sickness. It did feel like I was possibly dying or being possessed by demons or maybe I was in shock idk.

That evening, I learned the following from someone working in a rehab, and I still am wondering if this is true or valid at all even ; but they claimed that : IF I REACTED THAT STRONGLY TO THE NARCAN , then I can assume that I WASSS in fact ODing on the fent I was smoking, bc SHE CLAIMED — it ONLY would cause an insane reaction like that if there was an actual OD taking place.

My issue or question with that line of thinking is that , —wouldn't having ANY traces of opiates in you cause it to be RIPPED away from your receptors in the same way , so like, — even if I was NOT ODing on the fent that morning, that tornado of terror I went through could have been set off even by the fact that I am a daily heroin smoker and so I obviously still had some heroin in my system, regardless if I hadn't smoked the tar in like 12 hours+.. Well, additionally bc I def also had that gross fent-heroin mixture I had in me — but point being : →* I'm wondering if I was just being paranoid and jumped the gun and if none of that was necessary , or if I actually did the right thing and , even tho the experience was gnarly and terrifying, — I might have actually saved my life and might have actually been the absolute right move for me to have done right then.*. hard to know for sure.

I would LOVE AND APPRECIATE any input, knowledge, info, or feedback responding to these inquiries at the END of my post here.

★★★Also, this is important : PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER ME THIS IF U CAN : >>> does any one know how long before I will be able to get high again....bc it's been 24 hours and my receptors must STILL be blocked by that narcan shit, bc I am smoking heroin and meth and FEELING NOTHING which is NOT IDEAL. I mean, in not exactly dope sick, but I can't get high either. I'm wondering how long until this stuff is out of my system bc I want to smoke again!★★★

[P.S. - I am always very very careful, plus I don't shoot up my black EVER, so this was DEFINITELY my first and Only experience ever getting even CLOSE TO an OD before. Never actually thought i would be in that position. So, yes I will be careful in the future and yes I learned from this experience. I don't plan to ever touch fentanyl ever again until I die. That shit ain't for me. Yuck. ]

Hope my description made sense and was clear.

But dead ass y'all, — do NOT play around with narcan. It is not a joke. That shit was HORRIFYING. AND I'm fine and alive so that's great. But I just so curious if I did that for nothing or if there is any way to know now whether I was indeed actually in need of the narcan aka if I was truly even OD ing to begin with that fateful morning.

FUCK that shit. Scariest experience of my life. I don't know WHAT I was thinking. Really really gnarly day and experience man. Wouldn't wish it upon Hitler bro. SCARY SHIT IM NOT KIDDING.

K PEACE.

-KIM FROM LA! :)

Last edited: