• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Naltrexone.

d896629

Bluelighter
Two and half months ago, my doctor prescribed me three different drugs: [1] lorazepam [Ativan], [2] trazodone, and [3] naltrexone.

I have found the trazodone to be pretty useless as a sleep aid, and it sort of felt like...opioid withdrawal honestly. I think at 100mg [2x 50mg pills] it made me feel the skin crawling sensation and restless leg syndrome that opioid withdrawal gave me. So I stopped using it.

Lorazepam definitely worked for me - as benzodiazepines work for me, but I'm terrified to use them for even a few days in a row. As I know how horrible opioid withdrawal is, and everything I hear about benzodiazepine withdrawal tells me that it is even worse.

Naltrexone...I have been very hesitant to fill this prescription.

My doctor said that I needed to wait five days since I last used an opiate agonist in order to use it. I would say I'm pretty well done with opiates, as Kratom has helped me get through that, and I want to give my receptors a long break before using them again - and only use them again under the strictest of circumstances.

My question is:

If I used Suboxone three days ago, is it safe to take Naltrexone? I'm not seeing much online about this. It doesn't appear to be an issue, but I just want to make sure.

Also, while on this topic - if I go a full month using nothing, then use Suboxone recreationally, how many days does it take to become addicted? I only ask because I can only get Suboxone in as little as 2mg pills, and that lasts me about three days. I would get less than that, but I just can't. Would three days be enough to form a dependence? Once, the person I go to only had 8mg, and I ended up using it for six days straight. I'm at a point now where I would rather break it apart and throw away three quarters of it, but with my luck - I would end up getting a quarter that had less active ingredient [as I understand that it is not guaranteed that the entire pill contains a uniform amount of drug].

LASTLY...also on this topic...if a person uses three days of Suboxone then three days of methadone, then repeats for a total of 12 days...will they be addicted to...? One or the other? I just don't understand how the cross-tolerance aspect words with full opioid agonists and partial opioid agonists [as the Buprenorphine in the Suboxone is a partial agonist]. I know that a person could hypothetically rotate oxycodone and Xanax on a three days on / three days off schedule, and somewhat skirt addiction, as they are a completely different drug. I'm just wondering how that works with full and partial opioid agonists.

Oh...and out of curiosity, a friend of mine tells me that I am the only person he knows who gets a massive recreational benefit from Suboxone. To the point where if I use 1mg over a 24 hour period, I worry that I am overdosing. Is it normal for people to get this sort of effect from Suboxone?

I'm assuming it's bad form for me to bump my own thread. I apologize for doing so, but I filled my Naltrexone 50mg prescription, and I don't want to start it without getting some insight from some of the extremely knowledgeable members of the Bluelight community.

That being said - to my original point, regarding bumping my own thread - did I perhaps post this thread in the wrong forum? :oops:

Dude, I would help but I’m in no way an expert on Naltrexone. Most of the Americans are currently sleeping but they will be up in a few hours and can help. @schizopath should know something too if he’s about.

Im not that informed about naltrexone as theres a multiple variations of it as far as I know. I bet you will get an informed answer from some of the older members.

I’m curious about this as I’m on Suboxone and would like to try to use low dose naltrexone for fighting cancer (heard amazing things) obviously there’s contraindications here but I’m curious if low dose or ultra low dose could be used without interacting with the buprenorphine.

-GC

I’m curious about this as I’m on Suboxone and would like to try to use low dose naltrexone for fighting cancer (heard amazing things) obviously there’s contraindications here but I’m curious if low dose or ultra low dose could be used without interacting with the buprenorphine.

-GC
Hi. See my post to you in the MDMA thread just now, I referred to an incredible avenue of safe, side effect free treatment, which I would strongly urge any cancer patient to consider.

If I used Suboxone three days ago, is it safe to take Naltrexone? I'm not seeing much online about this. It doesn't appear to be an issue, but I just want to make sure.
After three days off Suboxone, I would say probably not. I’d wait until day five or six to be safe if your goal is to avoid precipitated withdrawals.

Also, while on this topic - if I go a full month using nothing, then use Suboxone recreationally, how many days does it take to become addicted

I think we need to define ”addicted” here. Are you referring to tolerance? If you’ve been using opioids for a period of time, brief abstinence from them doesn’t “reset” the addiction.

To the point where if I use 1mg over a 24 hour period, I worry that I am overdosing. Is it normal for people to get this sort of effect from Suboxone?

Buprenorphine typically has the most recreational benefits at low doses, as far as worrying that you’re overdosing, that doesn’t seem to be normal and unlikely if you’re not opioid naive, have no allergies to opioids and are not using any other drugs or alcohol.

-GC

I’m not sure about the nuances between naloxone and naltrexone, but I would think barring some caveat I’m unaware of, it would be very similar to the naloxone already in Suboxone in terms of ultra- and low-dose naltrexone/naloxone goes.

Both seemed to get lumped together in the studies I’ve read, but I’m sure there are contraindications unique to each.

I’m not sure about the nuances between naloxone and naltrexone, but I would think barring some caveat I’m unaware of, it would be very similar to the naloxone already in Suboxone in terms of ultra- and low-dose naltrexone/naloxone goes.

Both seemed to get lumped together in the studies I’ve read, but I’m sure there are contraindications unique to each.

That was sort of my thought as well...I know that individuals on full opiate/opioid agonists need to wait a period of time [my doctor said five days] before commencing Naltrexone. But the buprenorphine in the suboxone is a partial agonist, so I'm not sure what difference that makes, if any, in terms of the wait period. I guess I'll either wait the full five days, or start with 1/10th of a 50mg Naltrexone pill, if I do start early, lol.

I self-administered a 4mg Narcan/Naloxone nasal spray once during a time period where I was using very little, relatively, going several days off between what little I was using, and it was still a very uncomfortable two hours. So I don't want to make any mistakes here.

I was thinking about that when I read your post a while ago. I started wondering if a opioid naive person were to take naloxone/naltrexone if they would experience any type of discomfort initially as it displaces any endogenous opioids bound to the receptors. Naltrexone and naloxone is prescribed for pruritus to do exactly that, so I’ve always wondered what mechanism there is for our body’s natural ability to deal with pain when on these medications long-term.