• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants My Unaswered Meth Questions

blight12

Bluelighter
I am sure some of you know me and my silly meth posts a while back. I have been a member for a while, using meth for the last 2 years and have done a ton of research on amps/stims in the hope of combining my first hand experience with knowledge to formulate a complete picture and opinion, mostly for personal benefit.

I haven't been here much lately as my usage has diminished quite a bit over the last year, however I still use here and there and feel the need to reconcile some of my knowledge and experience on the topic so I can hopefully move on completely. Being an info nerd i feel I need to understand a topic fully before i feel i can "walk away" happy.

I would usually avoid making silly "why did meth do this and this posts", as they are never taken seriously, but there are still a few questions, based on my experiences, that I am still unsure about. I thought I would make this final post on the topic to see if there where any real answers or not.

These are a random collection of queries that I have been unable to explain to my self to a satisfactory level. Many of these may sound like familiar symptoms on face value but it is the overall circumstance and specific situation when considering all factors like time/dosage etc that makes them strange to me. I will explain further below when its appropriate.

1. Meth and the digestive system. Its common online that there are issues here, but I have not found a clear explanation. Usually I will experience total digestive shut down with only increased "gas" which can last as long as 4-5 days, usually only as long as I am under the influence directly. I would usually need to come off the drug completely before the digestive system will operate again. Of course this can be concerning and dangerous depending on how long it lasts. What exactly causes this effect?

2. Increased body temp on alcohol. This is tough to explain and can easily be written off as normal, however my experience is very specific. Yes its common that stims and amps cause increased body temperature, however there is a very specific and certain situation I would like to clarify.

Usually after about 1-2 full days of being high and onwards, and then consuming alcohol, I often enter a state of a perceived extreme increase in body temp resulting in profuse sweating which after many experiences and analysis, does not seem to have any cause related to external influences or meth alone. Even being very euphoric this feeling of overheating and sweating is noticeable concerning which is a good indicator to take notice.

To clarify, I could consume very high doses of good meth over 4-5 days without sleep, food, much water etc and as long as i never touched alcohol I would never experience intense heat and sweating, even if my BT was very high throughout.

However if i consume alcohol after about 24 hours of high dose meth use, it can often result in a significant "fever effect" causing very heaving sweating and extreme overheating/fever no matter the external temp. This is not your common meth temp issue, but noticeably different and extreme, which is the point i am trying to make.

Lastly, to throw a curve ball indicating its a very specific timing issue, I could consume very large amounts of meth and alcohol initially within the first 24 hour window and this would never ever occur. It seems to only occur if alcohol is used after 24-36 hours from the first dose. The required timing element specifically makes this very noticeable symptom stand out and very strange to me.

My thoughts are that the vasodilation from the alcohol combined with the increased body temp from the amp is to blame, but that is just an uneducated guess. I would like more confirmation and medical detail on this if at all possible?

3. I have often seen benzos mentioned as treatments of high does stim use and even overdoses, even as far as assisting with the direct health/physical effect of the stim.

My understanding however was the the benzo treated the psychological issues of the stim and/or merely masked (but didnt treat) the negative effects, since physically it cannot directly mitigate the stimulant or reduce the potential health risks associated with the stim itself.

For example, its often said that downers mask the symptoms of stimulants and thus its easier to overdose on either. This would indicate that no matter the amount of benzo used, the risk of XXX stim dosage is still as harmful, therefore the benzo didn't really help at all in terms of the health risk, only masked the symptoms. Is this correct or do benzos actually reduce the physical health/OD risk of stimulants directly in some way?

And if so, does alcohol often a similar benefit, and what would be the risk of alcohol use for this purpose as apposed to a benzo, due to the similar mechanism of action?

Overall I am very interested in the physical effects and risks of amps and alcohol together since in my experience it seems to help in all areas, however it is never recommended here. Why its a concern is not really clear to me? Its especially interesting since benzos are recommended, however alcohol is cautioned against even though they have very similar mechanisms of action?

Norepinephrine release and SNS stimulation. I would like to confirm if dilated pupils are specifically related to norepinephrine or SNS stmulation, dopamine release or both? If both, which has the greater effect or affinity for this effect on the pupils.

Another seemingly obvious question, however in my consistent experience, I will only ever experience an effect on pupils after its obvious that SNS stimulation has kicked into a high degree, IE 24-48 hours of continued high dose meth use. Even when extreme dopamine release and euphoria is obviously in effect in the beginning period of use, pupils are not effected until SNS stimulation is obvious such as vasoc and other physical factors.

My theory is that norepinephrine is mostly to blame for this physical symptom. For this reason I use my pupils to judge SNS stimulants and potential for upcoming negative effects

5. Lastly related to the above.
I would like to clarify if the action on SNS stimulation from meth for example lasts longer then the effect on dopamine. In my experience the SNS stimulation always outlasts the desired dopamine stimulation and therefore when in a situation of redosing, such as a multi day meth binge, its possible to "add up" and compound the negative SNS stimulation without the desired dopamine effects keeping pace?

At least that is my regular experience in practice this seems to occur however im not sure exactly what is actually occurring physically. Perhaps they have equal durations of effect but dopamine runs out faster after some time and norepinephrine does not, causing the effect later in a binge? Can anybody clarify?

I think that's if for now. Thanks in advance.

The digestive system operates on meth. I had friends who used heavily and still ate a lot and were very healthy / were able to add on a generous amount of muscle/Body mass (seemingly without logical/rational explanation; considering the anorexic-like effect it has on many, many people).

Don't use alcohol and meth together. Very bad combo; I watched someone have a life threatening overdose from this combo.

Unfortunately, methamphetamine masks the effects (partially or completely) Of most drugs. There's not a lot of traditional downers that will completely cancel meth's effects. It's best to save benzos as "only as needed" for assisting with come downs or meth-Induced anxiety.

DO NOTE: ALCOHOL HAS SEPARATE EFFECTS that benzodiazepines do not; and because alcohol has 5-HT (serotonin) and NMDA effects, it is a BAD combination drug for meth if you're trying to reduce the effects of meth.

Alcohol can and will potentiate meth. Often it is not pleasant.

Pupil dilation is a bad indicator of intoxication due to relative light levels, etc.

I would recommend to forget about your pupil constriction/dilation.

Yes; the PNS effects outlast CNS effects. This might have to do with D/L isomers. Or, individual variations in pre-existing norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin levels.

Last edited:
^ An addition to the dont use alcohol, you mentioned Benzodiazepine and Alcohol have a similar mechanism of action... this is totally wrong.

Not because both are possitive allosteric modulator of GABAa it doesnt mean they dont have other effect on there own. Alcohol MOA is very large... Alcohol is a positive allosteric modulator of GABAa, it also antogonise nACh, AMPA, NMDA and Kainate, it agonise 5HT3 and Glycine, Have action on K+, Na+ and Ca2+ Voltage gated channels and also have indirect action on Dopamine.

^ thank you for listing how complicated the MOA for ethanol is.

You can of course imagine how I felt watching someone I used to care about shake uncontrollably an delirious from shooting 1.7g of crystal meth AND having downed most of a liter bottle of 92 proof rum.

I was sure they would die and was very thankful to watch them pull through. I know I would have died given the same dosages. Of course I would never willingly down so much drugs like that; I enjoy living.

1. Meth and the digestive system. Its common online that there are issues here, but I have not found a clear explanation. Usually I will experience total digestive shut down with only increased "gas" which can last as long as 4-5 days, usually only as long as I am under the influence directly. I would usually need to come off the drug completely before the digestive system will operate again. Of course this can be concerning and dangerous depending on how long it lasts. What exactly causes this effect?

increased stimulation of gastric muscles from the norepinephrine release. Also, amphetamines increase basal metabolic rate... so it may be your body naturally trying to keep up with an increased caloric demand, too.

However if i consume alcohol after about 24 hours of high dose meth use, it can often result in a significant "fever effect" causing very heaving sweating and extreme overheating/fever no matter the external temp. This is not your common meth temp issue, but noticeably different and extreme, which is the point i am trying to make.

Lastly, to throw a curve ball indicating its a very specific timing issue, I could consume very large amounts of meth and alcohol initially within the first 24 hour window and this would never ever occur. It seems to only occur if alcohol is used after 24-36 hours from the first dose. The required timing element specifically makes this very noticeable symptom stand out and very strange to me.

No idea about this.

For example, its often said that downers mask the symptoms of stimulants and thus its easier to overdose on either. This would indicate that no matter the amount of benzo used, the risk of XXX stim dosage is still as harmful, therefore the benzo didn't really help at all in terms of the health risk, only masked the symptoms. Is this correct or do benzos actually reduce the physical health/OD risk of stimulants directly in some way?

And if so, does alcohol often a similar benefit, and what would be the risk of alcohol use for this purpose as apposed to a benzo, due to the similar mechanism of action?

You are correct - benzodiazerpines don't truly reverse the effects of amphetamines, they just mask the psychological symptoms of amphetamine overuse by acting as sedatives/relaxants. Alcohol will also do this to an extent, but neither are good 'antidotes' and don't exactly make amphetamine any safer.

Norepinephrine release and SNS stimulation. I would like to confirm if dilated pupils are specifically related to norepinephrine or SNS stmulation, dopamine release or both? If both, which has the greater effect or affinity for this effect on the pupils.

I think it's norepinephrine release. Maybe adrenergic agonism.

I would like to clarify if the action on SNS stimulation from meth for example lasts longer then the effect on dopamine. In my experience the SNS stimulation always outlasts the desired dopamine stimulation and therefore when in a situation of redosing, such as a multi day meth binge, its possible to "add up" and compound the negative SNS stimulation without the desired dopamine effects keeping pace?

Don't confuse pleasurable effects with dopamine release: dopamine is not the "pleasure chemical".

Either way - yes, the stimulant effects of methamphetamine are more persistent (and tolerance develops to them slower) than the euphoriant effecs.

^ An addition to the dont use alcohol, you mentioned Benzodiazepine and Alcohol have a similar mechanism of action... this is totally wrong.

Not because both are possitive allosteric modulator of GABAa it doesnt mean they dont have other effect on there own. Alcohol MOA is very large... Alcohol is a positive allosteric modulator of GABAa, it also antogonise nACh, AMPA, NMDA and Kainate, it agonise 5HT3 and Glycine, Have action on K+, Na+ and Ca2+ Voltage gated channels and also have indirect action on Dopamine.

Where do you learn this stuff?

Thanks guys, i appreciate the responses, this clarified a lot for me.

I find it interesting that there is not definite or direct cause for the digestive issues. I was almost certain this was a common thing with a clear cause since amps will always instantly constipate me as long as its in effect, days at a time if necessary, even until pain occurs. Must be an individual thing for me then as suggested...

If I could just clarify one last thing. The alcohol use and risks with stimulants has always interested me since i see the warnings but its never clear what the risks are exactly. Also I find alcohol usage with meth increased the pleasurable effects considerably, not only through "taking the edge off" but enhanced euphoria as well.

This is especially true when adding alcohol at the point where peripheral stimulation seems to be in full effect, usually later on in a binge, day 2-4, often resulting in constant "rushes" not even experienced in the beginning. I see you mentioned it will potentate meth which is very interesting, and fits with my experience. This i did not expect since i considered alcohol just another downer and similar to benzos.

Anyways, i just wanted to clarify exactly what the risks are with the alcohol and meth combo. I see the technical details mentioned above, however could you confirm the potential health risk and effect on the body in laymans terms, besides the potentiation?

For example, does it cause strain on the heart, increase the risk of seizure ect. If you could clarify what could potentially occur with this combo or what risky effects its having on the body, I would really appreciate it.

I had instant and seriously painful and huge bloating after taking a shot towards the end of my using, I rarely used anything with the meth, I was very particular .. I am still very curious about that

Last edited: