• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc my turn...LEXAPRO

deos68

Bluelighter
i tried prozac i wasnt able to find a right dose either A. it wouldnt do anything or B. make me feel like complete shit stuck on the bottom of a shoe

so again back to the doc and she told me about lexapro which according to her is the newest of the SSRI's
i have a few days to decide if i want to try it

if anyone has taken lexapro pros and cons?

Currently taking Lexapro 10 mg / day, I see little to no side effects. My advice is definately give it a try.

I currently take 40mgs of Lexapro and started a few months ago.

I had been having significant social anxiety and significant depression and have seen a significant improvement in both.

Many people around here like to claim this kind of thing is only placebo but I don't believe that it is in my case.

I had also been on Prozac and it had once worked for me but eventually failed to help so I switched to lexapro.

thank you both for the replies the thing that got to me was that prozac needed a good month or 2 before you feel anything but that wasnt the case for me
seen reports lexapro can kick in as fast as a week or 2 is that right?

does it help with panic disorder as well ?
i got "diagnosed" with anxiety/panic disorder, ocd and mild depression

I took Lexapro for about 4 months, it worked great, but I eventually found it starting to drift off a bit, I was getting minor anxiety attacks far more often then I should have, and had a straight up panic attack at one point.

I think for me, it's just cause it's related to Citolopram, which did the same thing.

Switched back to Zoloft, and it's working far better for me.

However, I would say to definitely give it a shot, it's actually extremely easy on the body, and there's no real harsh side effects except for a bit of drowsiness the first week.

and yea, it work for panic disorder, I have anxiety/panic and depersonalization syndrome, and the Lexapro did work on the anxiety, (I take Lamictal for the rest).

Zoloft has always worked for me. I use to take them during the day.

i swear i got dizzy by the time i got out the doc apt she threw a crap load of different ssri's at me
my biggest issue right now is mild anxiety random panic attacks and a severe hyperventilation which escalates into bigger things i can deal with the ocd because it turned into a cleaning ocd i have a thing for cleanliness ha
i always feel a need to take a deep breath for no reason
well back to square one thanks for the input guys def check out lexapro im debating between lexapro and zoloft
plus she renewed my benzo script :) cant complain

Try Lexapro first. It's a LOT easier to switch from Lexapro to Zoloft, then the other way around. Zoloft is a lot harder on the body.

Also, Lexapro is an SSRI, while Zoloft is an SNRI.

The both affect serotonin, but zoloft also affects norepinephrine, if you switch off Zoloft to Lexapro, you'd lose that norepinephrine affect, and have a harder transition.

Try Lexapro first. It's a LOT easier to switch from Lexapro to Zoloft, then the other way around. Zoloft is a lot harder on the body.

Also, Lexapro is an SSRI, while Zoloft is an SNRI.

The both affect serotonin, but zoloft also affects norepinephrine, if you switch off Zoloft to Lexapro, you'd lose that norepinephrine affect, and have a harder transition.

Zoloft is an SSRI.

I currently take 40mgs of Lexapro and started a few months ago.

I had been having significant social anxiety and significant depression and have seen a significant improvement in both.

Many people around here like to claim this kind of thing is only placebo but I don't believe that it is in my case.

I had also been on Prozac and it had once worked for me but eventually failed to help so I switched to lexapro.

you mean ciralopram rather than escitrolopram right..

the he max dose of lexepro(escitrolopram is 20 mgs)

I took when Lexapro at one point when I suffering from severe panic attacks and depression. It helped me tremendously the first time around. Though, after discontinuing it and trying to pick it up again, it was a lot less effective.

In theory Lexapro should have less side effects than most other SSRI's due to the fact that it's highly selective at SERT with low affinity at NET.

i talked to the doc over the phone seems she wants to start me at 2.5mg of lexapro and then work myself up if needed
another question
how is drinking beer on lexapro?
although i know its not ideal bt i did it anyway on prozac never had any neg side effects other than getting hammered easily

Drinking on Ssri is no problem at all.. It won't make you more drunk like a Benzo would.

2.5 is a very low starting point

Drinking on Ssri is no problem at all.. It won't make you more drunk like a Benzo would.

2.5 is a very low starting point

yeah but since i do react different like i have a zero tolerance to benzos so she wanted to start me off at 2.5mg then work up if needed
guess the least amount that gives me therapeutic effects is the best isnt it?

Yeah it's better to work up. You have to trust your doc over me or any other random on line. But ssri's are fine to drink on from my and I think most experiences,