• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids my stint of dilaudid IV. A warning and a Question moving fwd...

AbsolutDoc

Bluelighter
Hi Bluelight,

First off, let me say thank you in advance to everyone on here. I've been reading this website for awhile now and love all the great feedback and advice from everyone. Second, I hope I'm posting in the correct forum (I believe I am).

Here's the deal, two years ago I had emergency abdominal surgery because I had Pancreatitis. I was in the ICU for 2 months and the regular hospital for another 2 on top of that. During which, I had tubes into drainage bags coming out of 5 different places in my mid section plus a completely open wound 2 feet wide across my stomach and about 8 inches tall. My entire digestive track was diverted and re-routed around a tear in my duodenum, which was a complication from an endoscopy to asses my pancreatitis.

I couldn't eat or drink ANYthing, not even a SIP of water. I was given a small amount of ice chips a day. My only satisfaction was the pain meds they were giving me. It was an IV shot every 4 hours, which was dilaudid, all I remember is them telling me it was stronger than morphine. Now, I've done my fair share of coke and X and I've had friends that were hooked on H real bad when I was in college, and I never got it, I never understood the depths of their addiction. Until this. Let me tell you I fully understood addiction right then and there. I remember literally staring at the clock watching the second hand tick around, which would turn the minute hand, which would turn the hour hand - closer and closer to the time of my next shot and I was able to push the button for the nurse to let them know I needed more.

Sometimes they would be busy or fuck around and not bring it right away, and every minute seemed like an eternity. When I finally got the shot it was indescribable feeling, but it could best be explained like a warm fuzzy rush of pure "goodness". It was like finding out you're going to Disneyland as a kid, on Christmas Eve, from Santa himself, while having an orgasm.

The only thing I hated was that they would always fuck with my tubes and bags right after administering it and ask me to move this way, roll that way and sit up and lie back. I just wanted to be left the fuck alone and enjoy it! Because before I knew it, that feeling would be gone and I would be left with another 4 hours until my next "hit". To be honest, I was in constant pain and I don't think it really helped to actually block the pain but it just felt so damn good it's like I didn't care about the pain or maybe it made it worthwhile.

They eventually switched me to another floor that didn't have remote heart monitoring capabilities. See, I was hooked up to electrodes that monitored my heart rate and it displayed outside my room and at the nurse's station, not to mention right to an iPod sized device attached to me that they watched closely as they gave me the shot. This all because my heart rate would drop considerably when administering the shot. So this new floor is important because now I could no longer receive the "medicine" intravenously. When the nurse came in for the first time to give it to me she broke the news to me as she swabbed my arm just below my shoulder on muscle for the shot. I thought oh that's no big deal. I remember thinking that because I said to the nurse "Oh, no big deal!" and laughed a little to make things light. Well right after the injection I quickly realized that it was actually a really, REALLY big deal! I felt nothing. I had no rush! No warm fuzzy feeling! No fucking Santa on Christmas Eve telling me about Disneyland, Nothing! I had no satisfaction! Which is what it became, something normal and expected. I eventually stopped craving that IV rush but I will never forget that feeling.

That said - I don't know what would happen if I had that in an uncontrolled environment. The rush is SO good that I don't see how I would be able to ever wait 4 hours in between doses. When it came near for another dose I couldn't think of anything but that. The nurse would come in and ask what I was watching and I would have no idea. I was only thinking about the next dose.
There was a couple of times where my heart rate plummeted and they had to stop midway through or wait until a better reading on my monitors because it was too dangerous to administer. That is why I will never shoot hydromorphone. I wouldn't be able to trust myself with something THAT amazing and also that dangerous.

I've been reading a lot of posts where people are talking about it or thinking about it. And all I can say is "Don't do it". It is the epitome of something that is too good for you. The rush is so good but SO incredibly short you'll want it constantly and there is no end in sight until you run out or something way worse.

Right before my release they switched me to OxyContin 10 mg's 2x day with a couple of 10mg oxycodone IR every 4 hours for breakthrough pain. I was on that for a couple of months as I was still kind of immobile at home. Then they weened me down to Percocets and before long I was on just Advil. Then the hernia's started...

I had 4 abdominal hernia operations in the span of a year. My surgeon eventually put a mesh implant in my abdominal wall, which stopped the hernias but created more pain. Apparently a lot of people who have this procedure have pain as a major side effect. So much so that 10-15 years later they're searching like crazy for a doctor to take it out. Only, no one will because the mesh becomes a part of your body, intertwining with your nerves and muscles. It would be way too difficult or impossible to remove. I've learned this from other forums and from other doctors who have heard of many mesh implant sufferers.

I seem to be lucky (so far) as I only take 2-3 percocets a day OR 3 Dillie's. One of which is oral and the rest I insuffulate. I found that at first it was easier to spread out and use more acutely and accurately. Like; if I just had a random pain I would snort a line or two and I would forget about the pain rather than eat a whole pill and wait 20-30 minutes for it to kick in and have it last for a whole 4-6 hours which I sometimes felt I didn't need.

Which brings me to my dilemma - I have an appointment with my pain management doctor in a couple of days. He's been prescribing me Percocets 5/325 #90 /month, but this last month he wrote me Dilaudid 4mg #90/month. He says it's a safer drug to be on long term. I'm supposed to tell him what I think I would like to go with from here on out on Thursday, September 17th.

I'm battling with myself on which one I should choose. I do love the energy and general well-being Percocets give me (orally) and I do like to sniff on top ( I know Perc's are dumb to snort because of the apap/tylenol, but I can't resist. I swear it does something.) But I do like the feeling the dillies feel (only when snorted, to me it's waste to eat them. They don't do shit). For this past month I've been fortunate that I had plenty of Percocets left over from last month on top of this month's Dilaudid script and I was combining the two. I found it gave me a perfect feeling of energy and high. Kinda like doing coke while boozing. Even though they're opposite they work well together. I've told him they gave me both in the hospital (kinda not true) but he said he couldn't write a script for both at the same time.

So what does everyone think I should go with? My other option is I was going to see what he thought of switching me to just straight oxycodone IR's without the apap, maybe ER's, too? Or is that pushing it? I did have straight oxy's before oral and sniff, but can't remember them being quite as good as percocet. All though the ER's and IR's together would be nice. I have about 20 Dillies left and I'm thinking of saving them for strictly night time, I pop a xanax and rail a couple of lines and i'm off to dreamland.

Thanks for listening!
~Doc
(not a real doctor, just a nickname)

Last edited:
"Dilaudid 4mg #90/month" - That is what I'd choose if it were me. Percocets are OK but if Oxycodone is the choice, it really should be the one's without the APAP. That is what I get for BT, 15mg/4 a day. They are really pretty good for that purpose. It sounds like the Dilaudid script you mention is is an IR type of med. I've actually heard really good things (on this and other forums) that Hydromorphone ER (I think that's what Dilaudids are) version is quite good. Then maybe you could get something additionally for BT. I'm not sure if that is an option for you but for long-term pain management, an ER type of med is usually considered a better alternative than an IR. It tends to eliminate the short-term ups and downs of IR meds. Good Luck!

You're becoming an opiate fiend, but at least you are aware of it. Whatever you do, never inject that dilaudid yourself... It will be the end of you.

Anyways, I believe that oxycodone is the better choice because oxycodone has a good oral bioavailability, while hydromorphone / dilaudid has a very low oral bioavailability. But they are more potent so it comes down to, which one provides you the longest pain relief? Go with that.

Yeah I agree, Beach. I think the best (and most normal) option I've had recently was the oxy ER's 2x/day with some oxy 5mg for BT. I'm just a little nervous about bringing that/those options up because I might sound like a seeker, even though I'm planning to use them as intended, it always seems that way when someone 'requests' oxycontin I feel. Thanks for your feedback Beach!

pbuilder... Yeah i'm totally in love with opiates. If I can stay at this low level, meaning just enough to stay pain free and generally upbeat, I feel like I'll be winning. See, what brought me to have pancreatitis in the first place was self medicating (HARD) with alcohol. Even when I was released from the hospital after almost dying... as soon as I could muster enough energy to walk far enough to the liquor store... I did. I didn't mix pills and booze, I was careful of that. Slowly as the pill scripts ran out I went back to alcohol. To the thing that almost killed me.... sick.

However, after all these hernia surgeries, being in pain management and on a steady diet of low strength opioids, I've been enjoying life and able to not crave a drink 24/7. I mean, I'm able to sit in a bar with people who are drinking and be totally fine with my iced tea. The truth is; the strength comes from the fact that I know I can pop off to the bathroom and sniff a little to take that edge off, but fuck it's gotta be better than drinking myself to death.

Last edited:
Hmm. I'm the biggest IV dilaudid fiend on earth, yeah don't bang those pills, it's not worth it!

TBH, oral oxy is really damn good as a long-term pain med...stop snorting percocets though! APAP can kill the cells in the lining of your nose, oxy doesn't absorb super well this way, and its....snorting tylenol lol. EAT THEM!! Just eat them! %)

Morphling, thank you! You are the first person I've read on here that's had a legitimate NEGATIVE reason to not snort Perc's! Everyone I've seen always just said "it's not worth it" or "it'll clog up your nose". After about a few months of snorting perc's I've noticed damage to my nose and I began to alternate nostrils to give one a break as the other one "healed" and I KNOW it was bad... but sometimes you have to hear it from someone else, you know? ;)

And I think that's why I'll also like just straight oxy's (no apap) because well I just love to fucking snort shit TBH! To examine it deeper, I like the feeling of knowing I can have instant relief if and when I need it.

yeah dilaudid feels like heroin to me, real nice while its happening, but for some reason I don't think its worth it. I guess you have to do it for awhile and then you get tired of the game.

REALLLL nice. but way too short and too intense. I'm looking to live life just one little level above normal, not high as a kite or chasing a fix 24/7

I've only done the dilaudid IV and loved the rush but they wore off very fast. If they wear off as quickly snorting them(I don't know) Id go with the oxys. I take oxys IR for pain and I swear by them,plus they do give you a little boost of energy.Also if you are overdoing your script don't continue with the percocets,as I'm sure you know that Tylenol(in high doses) is worse on your liver then any opiate.

I've only done the dilaudid IV and loved the rush but they wore off very fast. If they wear off as quickly snorting them(I don't know) Id go with the oxys. I take oxys IR for pain and I swear by them,plus they do give you a little boost of energy.Also if you are overdoing your script don't continue with the percocets,as I'm sure you know that Tylenol(in high doses) is worse on your liver then any opiate.

Snorting dilaudid definitely lasts longer than IV for sure. I can go sometimes an hour before needing a refuel. As far as the Tylenol point, that is the reason I'm suspecting my doctor wants me off them for long term pain management. So it looks like I might bring that up with him tomorrow and see if I can get him to suggest plain oxys, so it doesn't look shady with me straight out asking for them.

When you say you swear by the oxys IR. You are snorting them I assume? Or oral, or both?

Well he put me on Morphine Sulfate ER, generic MS Contin. I've been taking it for 3 days and it SUCKS. It's 2 a day at 30 mg. I asked for something for breakthrough and he said just take Advil (ibuprofen). Its terrible, I still have pain and there is no good mood feeling either. I am so irritable and I threw up the first two days taking it. I'm calling him tomorrow and saying to put me back on percocets because I suggested that I've taken oxy for BT pain before when I was released from the hospital along with ER Oxycontin. He basically said no to oxycodone ir's and that whole set up.

Funny thing is, is that he offered to up my hydromorphone to 8mg.
Should I have taken that offer?
I'm calling him tomorrow because I can't wait a whole month and be on this shit meds.

Last edited:
He might want you to bring the rest of your pills with you,just hope you didn't take more then you were prescribed!

I was thinking something similar, to bring them showing him that I don't need them and he can dispose of them "properly". But I didn't think of the other side of it... That he'd actually want to see that I didn't take them or sell them. thanks namnoc!

That reminds me of the second time I went to him the nurse gave me a cup and said "we just need a urine sample" I thought 'ok I guess to see I'm i'm railing lines of coke along with it I guess'. Anyway I couldn't pee because I had just peed while waiting in the waiting room. She looked at me and took pity and said "well you're new here, right?.. just make sure next time you.. ahem.. have enough to for a sample, because otherwise we wont be able to give you another script."
And then it hit me and I asked outright - "oh so you want to make sure I'm not selling them or something?"
she said "yes exactly".

I thought about that on the way home, looked at the amount prescribed and thought I could get by on half or 2/3 the meds he wrote me... sell the rest and just make sure I take some right before the next visit. That feeling left my head a little quicker than it came in. I don't want to fuck up my life anymore. I did enough of that in the past. By the way: they haven't tested me since.

Another thought (tandem) I remember another month I dumped out all my percocets and took a pic. of them, and thought damn that looks good. then I remember one of my friends got arrested and was in the local paper for trying to fraud a pharmacy for an oxycodone script and I thought , damn I bet she'd pay for a pretty penny for 10 of these or something.. but then I was like WTF am I thinking? She probably had to go get court ordered rehab, nevermind any jail time/probation/fines.. and here I am thinking of making a few extra dollars on someone else's misery. Damn, that's exactly how drug dealers think and why they should be removed from the planet. Not the stand up,"good guy" dealers that notice when someone might have a problem and deal for only recreation. I'm talking the guys on the street that would tell someone to pawn their mother's jewelry for cash to give someone a fix. That's scum of the earth.

Sorry rant over. Maybe these pills do have an upside? ;)

That'd be a big ole YES SIR~!

[/QUOTE]I'm calling him tomorrow because I can't wait a whole month and be on this shit meds.[/QUOTE]

I was prescribed MS-Contin a long time ago in my PM life and just like you, it wasn't for me. I actually got sick from them and it was like my body was totally rejecting them. I ended up quickly going back to the doc and he switched me to OxyContin right then and there. And BTW, I don't think I took him the leftover meds and he never asked for them. I don't remember what came of those pills but I'm pretty sure I didn't take them since they made me sick as a dog. Also, my body took to the Oxy like a fish to water. Everything was taken right on time and it all just clicked. I've never been so happy I didn't get stuck with those MS-Contins for any longer than I was and the doc was so agreeable to switching me over. I was afraid he was going to tell me to stick it out for a month and let's see what happens. Hell, I might have ended up in the hospital at the rate I was going.

Anyway, a big yes on the hydromorphone 8mg. and a big "I can totally relate" to your experiment with MS-Contin. I hope things are going better these days!

"I'm calling him tomorrow because I can't wait a whole month and be on this shit meds."

I was prescribed MS-Contin a long time ago in my PM life and just like you, it wasn't for me. I actually got sick from them and it was like my body was totally rejecting them. I ended up quickly going back to the doc and he switched me to OxyContin right then and there. And BTW, I don't think I took him the leftover meds and he never asked for them. I don't remember what came of those pills but I'm pretty sure I didn't take them since they made me sick as a dog. Also, my body took to the Oxy like a fish to water. Everything was taken right on time and it all just clicked. I've never been so happy I didn't get stuck with those MS-Contins for any longer than I was and the doc was so agreeable to switching me over. I was afraid he was going to tell me to stick it out for a month and let's see what happens. Hell, I might have ended up in the hospital at the rate I was going.

Anyway, a big yes on the hydromorphone 8mg. and a big "I can totally relate" to your experiment with MS-Contin. I hope things are going better these days!

"I'm calling him tomorrow because I can't wait a whole month and be on this shit meds."

haha! Seems like everyone is in the same boat about getting these 8mg Dilaudids.

I'm glad to hear someone else has the same side effects as I did on MS Contin. On another thread someone made it seem like I was crazy for not thinking MS Contin was good. It made me sick, irritable, generally uneasy and didn't help with pain relief.

I just made an appointment with him tomorrow at 2pm US EST.
I will give an update after. I will try one more time to switch to an OxyContin Er with IR's for BT. But I doubt it will fly. On my other thread someone kind of convinced me that Dilaudis were better than I thought. I thought they were just good for sedating pain relief and "nodding off". That's why I would do a line or two with a xanax before bed. But i've noticed that i've been using it in situations to not only deal with BT pain but situations that require energy and alertness and they've been pretty great. Not that *removed from reality type high*, but just enough to feel it.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is that the Morphine Sulfate ER 30 mg gave me a nice baseline that the 4mg Dialudid played off of. So if I ask to discontinue the ER and i'm left with just the 4 or 8 mg D's, will I have the same effect. Either way I have only 20 or so 4 mg D's left so I have to see him to either add to or replace the MS Contin.