• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My secret

I was wondering why you guys advised her to limit benzos to the night and didn't encourage her to get some more. Seems to me even taking a rather high dose of Lorazepam for a week or so doesn't really hurt, does it?

To the OP: You might want to buy some Kratom and/or Kava Kava capsules from Ebay or Amazon. And if this attempt failed you should try it again with more Ativan and some Kratom. But please avoid taking the Ativan daily for any longer than a week, at all costs. Addiction to Ativan and other Benzodiazepines will affect your daily life even more and detox from Ativan takes months and is even worse than Codeine detox.

Welcome. I am so glad you decided to share your story with us. I wish you the best in your recovery and I know you will find the support you are seeking here. Sending you best wishes! PM me anytime if you need some encouragement or a kind word!

Hello friends
ok, I just got home from work after a 12 hour brutal day and I was in such a bad mood until I came here and read all your posts on this thread!!! OMG-I'm really grateful for all your feedback-I read everyone's posts twice!!!
i think I might be in the best mood in my FIVE days without pills!
i was just going to lay on the couch ( what's new)-but I think I will go for a walk Instead

I really miss the feeling those pills gave me. It's crazy-what I wouldn't do to feel like that-except take those damn pills.
I'm looking everywhere for something that will give me that "good" feeling. I bought b12 and b6 vitamins, a multi vitamin, some 5-htp, and magnesium and calcium. It's almost a trigger choking all those damn pills down

herbavore-I agree that I must have some depression of some type. If you look at my life, you would not think I deserve to be depressed. I live in a nice house, have a great husband and daughter, and an awesome career. But I have ZEROS friends, ZERO social life. I lost my brother, dad, then my mom and now I'm an orphan, I guess-both my parents had small families, so I'm pretty much alone now. I'm sure my depression comes from all that-I took care of my parents when they got sick, and it was 4 years in total before they and both passed, so that's probably why I don't have any friends any more

I'm not trying to have a pity party-we all lose people we love, and if we just sit in a corner and cry about it, life will pass us by-but I think I drugged myself through it a bit. I just kept increasing my medication a little at a time, from like 6 t-3's a day to 6 or 7 100mg codiene pills a day. It's crazy how that happened. I could take 10 of them and I would feel exactly the same. There was no getting higher any more. It was just maintaining.

Im probably babbling. Ok-I'm going for this walk before the mood leaves me!!

thanks again for your support-did I mention you are all I have?��
thanks for listening

I don't think you have to have an outwardly horrible life or even any major trauma to suffer from depression--it's more a disconnection with yourself than anything and it can have so many causes. Getting isolated during those years when you were care-giving for your parents whilst trying to hold down your job and also be a mother and wife was no doubt a herculean effort! I can very well imagine that you and lots of your needs got lost in those years. It makes me think even more that some sort of personal development class or seminar or retreat would work well for you because you would be meeting other people whose goal is to let their guard down and improve their lives (and selves) as well as getting guidance for how to approach a paradigm shift in your own life.

You are doing great and I'm so happy that you found support here. Bluelight is an amazing community full of some of the most caring people I have ever had the pleasure to get to know.<3

Hey sim....thanks very much. I enjoy reading. Your posts. I thought a lot about your journal idea and I think I will start one. When my mother first got sick, I wanted to keep a detailed report of how she progressed-partly because I have a slight chance of getting her horrible disease one day, and I wanted to remember what went, when-isn't that horrible!?? So the thought of ever journaling again wasn't so appealing. But it has been a year now and I think that it might help me at least get some shit down on paper -you know, get it out of my head and make room for some better stuff up there!!!
anyway, thanks for the support, I hope you know I appreciate it

Hello herb-I hope you do some kind of drug counselling. For a living -you are sooooo good at this
i think a personal development class would be a great idea-because I am stuck. 100% stuck. Even once I feel better and hopefully get some clean time, I'm afraid I won't be ok. I don't even have the slightest idea how to find something
like that. I guess google will be my friend
thanks agsi for all your great suggestions and your support

Hello friends
have I mentioned that I have 5 days off pills !!!!
its also 4am and I'm wide awake.
Pi went for that walk-I went a little late, walked for about an hour and a half. Got home close to 10, I was so tired so I laid down and poof, I just woke up, wide awake.
I don't have much to say except that I, really glad BL is here
I hope you are all having a good sleep right now
peace

wow, thats quite a burden. swim has been using amphetamine for 29 years and has spent the last 12 "out of the (speed) closet" and sincerely wishing to quit and putting in serious efforts to live recovered. Serious efforts include med management and psychiatric counseling, 4 inpatient rehabs, out patient rehabs, 12- step participation (step work, working with a sponsor, volunteering time, many hundreds of meetings), geographic changes, isolation from community, immersion in community, giving up swim's career, and more. Looking from the outside in, swim thinks bringing that shit to the light will immediately reduce the severity of that grinding depression. Swim also thinks losing that stupid ass job would probably be one of the best possible things for you. Who wouldnt be depressed if they existed solely to earn big bucks in middle management, I mean re-he-he-he-ly, is that how you want to spend the sum of your one shot at life? SWIM's lived those lies and SWIM's tried to stop "cold turkey" rather than seek help that would leave a paper trail resulting in, in, in....well, Telling the GD truth. Do yourself a favor and lose the shame. You have a medically recognized illness with a predicatyble syndrome of common pyschosocial maladaptations to life. SWIM can only guess at the course of your life under your plan for beating addiction but it reminds me of a bet at the horse races. Sounds harsh, SWIM knowS, but its the truth and people like you and SWIM are experts at denying reality and wasting precious time. SWIM'd wish you a miracle if SWIM "believed" but SWIM does not. SWIM does believe in, seeking medical and spiritual help, finding the courage to tell the truth, examining self in a community of like minded individuals, in dropping bullshit facades requiring bull-shit jobs in bullshit consumer economies, in favor living a simple, routine life, free from drug dependence, out of the bed and directly in the lives of those who might still love you and might be willing to forgive all the hurts, just so long as you are sincerely trying to live better today. swim hopes that you are more sucessful than SWIM has been and you don't find yourself, despite so much hard work over 12 years, back on it, AGAIN. SWIM recommends that you tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, job be damned. use that insurance to go to detox and 30 days of inpatient rehab. Swim promises, it'll be ok and you'll come out feeling like a million bucks and ready to finally get started on sobriety. The real deal isn"t behind those closed doors. They get you ready to achieve sobriety in the real world. sincerely wishing you to be sober and happy.

Hello What does swim mean? I assume that is your name. Thanks for the input. It sounds like you have 30 years of using behind you and a number of clean ones! I thought a lot about what you said, swim, and while i appreciate your advice, i am only 6 days off the pills, and im trying this for the first time. Throwing away a 25 year career is not an option for me. I love my job. It is one of the only things that kept me grounded-my commitment to whatbindo probably kept my addiction below what it could have become.

I dont know what unemployment is like where you live, but it is 10% where i live. I may never get another job like this again. Im not willig to lose my home, car, my daugheters education and future, ect-so that i can walk away , to go away to feel better. Tat spunds selfish for me-although i would not judge another that chose that path.

I have to at least give this a shot.... Please accept my decsion to try this. Thankss again, i hope you are having a good day

MONGOLLOYDBRIDGES Welcome to Bluelight. <snip> I would also caution you to be mindful of calling OP (original poster)''s employment a"stupid ass job". You do not know any details of OP's job or OP herself. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg-i am laughing at myself!!!
swim-that is hilarious.
Why would one use this acronym when you can be anyone you want to be in this wonderful cyber world.?
anyway, my apologies for thinking that was a name.
Im not nearly as stupid as i sound sometimes
hugs, friend-
i hope you are having as pain free day as your body allows.

I just kept increasing my medication a little at a time, from like 6 t-3's a day to 6 or 7 100mg codiene pills a day. It's crazy how that happened. I could take 10 of them and I would feel exactly the same. There was no getting higher any more. It was just maintaining.

Hi Imtryin,

Codeine is a prodrug, that means it is not active itself but is metabolized into something active after ingestion. Codeine is metabolized into Morphine by an enzyme called CYP2D6 and only about 400mg can be metabolized at once. That's the reason why taking more than 400mg didn't have any effect for you.

Some antidepressants like Venlafaxine (Effexor) indirectly effect the opiate receptors, so they can be particularly helpful to people who suffer from depression AND are recovering from an opiate detox.

BTW congratulations on toughing it out so far. I wish you all the best.

Hi Imtryin,

Codeine is a prodrug, that means it is not active itself but is metabolized into something active after ingestion. Codeine is metabolized into Morphine by an enzyme called CYP2D6 and only about 400mg can be metabolized at once. That's the reason why taking more than 400mg didn't have any effect for you.

Some antidepressants like Venlafaxine (Effexor) indirectly effect the opiate receptors, so they can be particularly helpful to people who suffer from depression AND are recovering from an opiate detox.

BTW congratulations on toughing it out so far. I wish you all the best.

Well ell that makes a lot of sense -I really wasn't getting much of a different feeling, but I kept upping the dose to keep trying
i am going to look Into Effexor, thanks for the advice

hey NSA-you are amazing.
Pi have read through the first 2, and plan on continuing. The first article on PAWS says that basically you will never totally get through it is you use other mood altering substances. What do you think about that! I know that is the NA way, and many recovering addicts beleive you can not recover from active addiction if you drink, or smoke the odd joint, or take something else. I am so conflicted with this-not because I donthise things, but because it would be odd if I could NEVER do those things. ( not take pills, I think we can all agree I can not taken pills)
thanks in advance

Good morning friends !
im going into day 6-I can hardly beleive I am going into day6!! That gabapentin really must help, in conjunction with the Imodium and the vitamins-becasue somehow I am not sick. Mostly my withdrawl have been the hardest in my head. I crave for the " feeling" about. Hundred times a day. But I'm not puking, or in the bathroom all day long. Or sick in bed. I had RLS for about 2 days-and I was hot and cold for a couple of days-but the physical part of this has really been manageable. There were a few times over the years when I ran out of pills , and once when I left them all at Disney world -OMG -those times I was sooo sick. I thought I was going to die. That's why I think the gaba really works well. Too bad I have no way of getting more. Or maybe I won't need anymore. I have about 10 left ( I got more from my house cleaner, but that was all she had-she thinks I have nerve pain). I wonder if you can get addicted to them. Are they even a narcotic? I had never heard of them before, actually. I'll have to look that up.
So guess what I did after work yesterday? I called a lady I know and asked her if she wanted to get together for tea ( I hate tea, but I didn't really want to drink)-she said yes and we got together for almost 2 hours. It was much easier than I imagined. She is a very nice lady, and not "uppity" like a lot of the people I know, so I enjoyed it very much. Maybe we will become friends.
So this is the best I ha e felt in 6 days-can you tell?
i normally sleep in very late when I don't have to get up for work early, but I was up at 7am. Not sure what I should do, although my house is in chaos, so there is much for mei to do-but I dont k wo where to start
so I think I will go to work
i hope you are having. A good day
thanks for listening

That's great that you reached out to socialize. If it turns into a friendship, awesome. But even if not, it's a great step to get out of the introversion and secrecy that addiction cultivates in us. my own preference is to roll into some spiritual equivalent of the fetal position and block everyone out... i think it's one of the reason's i've found NA meetings helpful.

6 days... excellent work!!

hey NSA-you are amazing.
Pi have read through the first 2, and plan on continuing. The first article on PAWS says that basically you will never totally get through it is you use other mood altering substances. What do you think about that! I know that is the NA way, and many recovering addicts beleive you can not recover from active addiction if you drink, or smoke the odd joint, or take something else. I am so conflicted with this-not because I donthise things, but because it would be odd if I could NEVER do those things. ( not take pills, I think we can all agree I can not taken pills)
thanks in advance

Thank You:)

I would consider taking a year off all substances besides caffeine. I would give up opiates for the rest of your life unless they are absolutely necessary. You do not need to tell yourself that your never going to do them as this often causes a strong addictive push. Some common techniques to manipulate our own heads around this is the "just for today" approach of the fellowships. "just for today im not going to use".. all of us can make it a day. So we just start stringing together days. Another technique is to tell ourselves that when we get very close to our deaths we will use again. When the time comes I doubt we will even want to waste our last time here all messed up on bloody opiates, but it can help relax our minds a bit.

Again amazing work on the detox. Detox is rough, but in the end it ends up being the "easy" part. The unconscious mind is where the addiction comes from and the unconsciousness mind is more naturally more powerful then the conscious. This is especially true in people who are addicted, but true as well in people who are not.

A better explanation of what im talking about is linked in the "divided self" chapter in the brain and addiction thread. These two threads also have a bunch of good addiction information.

Addiction Guide
The Brain and Addiction

Many people end up with problems controlling the use of other substances once the quit their DOC. A very common one is taking up alcohol or benzos in the place of opiates. This includes some people who never had any sort of a problem with alcohol.

Most people are out of any PAWS in under eight or nine months. What we want to promote to achieve this in the most comfortable way is to stop manipulating the brain chemistry and promote it returning to homeostasis and also promoting neuro regeneration and plasticity. The quickest and most comfortable way to do this is to stop manipulating and instead promote the healing we need.

I would consider starting to tapper off the loperamide. Its actually an opiate that has effects very similar to morphine, but is flushed so quickly from the blood brain barrier that it does not cause much if any intoxication. It is a very positive medication for many people detoxing opiates, but it will need to be tapered off at some point and then there is a chance that PAWS and addiction symptoms may appear or increase. So as you are contemplating/tapering the lope it may be very beneficial to create, develop, and begin to implement strong plans to deal with these.

Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

Keep knocking out the great work.:) Recovery is a journey, not a race to a destination. The cure to addiction lies in changing how we travel rather than reaching a finish line.;)

Hello friends
well i dont see my post from yesterday! My one week off pills day and it didnt post. I must have hit a wrong buton!
so here i am , working on day 8!!
i still have a couple days left of the gabapentin, and then ill be clean from all substances
im hoping that what will be almost 2 weeks of gaba use i wont have some type of withdrawl to them-i swear they are a miracle withdrawl drug!! I had some uncomfortable moments physically, but nothing like i should of had
i still dont feel emotionally well, i think ive mentioned that enough times, but today os a good day.
Im going to get some fresh strawberries from a local farm today and then, you guessed itt-im going to work.
My daughter dances all day again today, so i. Just going to go in until shes done, then im going to cook dinner for the first time in forever. Ribs on the bbq, roasted vegtables, noodles and a salad. Thats about as fancy as i get. Hopefully this dinner goes well.
Oh yeah, and another walk at some point today-inam still not at a walk per day yet
i hope you are all having a great day
thanks for listening