• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Education my school blog: help me get good grades + listen to me bitch

deficiT

Sr. Moderator: NSADD, DC, & TDS
Staff member
Hey ladies and lords, I thought I'd start a thread documenting my school work. Currently Fall '21 semester at baltimore county community college, I have 6 credits worth already that I transferred in with... Taking 3 courses for a total of 9 credits, the idea was to ease myself into the college thing since it's been such a long time since I've been in school, so I stuck with just the three classes instead of four. Beginning to think I should've stuck with just 2... but it is what it is. I'm here now, I'm gonna do it.

The three courses are :
Communications 101
English 101 intro to college composition
Intro to Human Services Counseling

The main thing I'm sweating about at the moment, is my mid term for communications. I have to talk in front of the class for 10 full minutes. The prompt is "career". He wants us to use props and shit. Seeing as how my current career goal is to be a counselor, I thought I could involve bluelight somehow, in specific the recovery support, and community forums. Could bring in my laptop as a prop. The important thing is that I have to showcase my main idea. Which I still have to nail down what exactly that would be.

My idea was to go over the mission statement to start, and then maybe do a section on each recovery forum, and maybe a couple of the community forums too. Could also show the workload that accompanies all the positions i've held, mod, smod, and admin. Could talk about recruiting mods, stopping spammers, could even show the process of giving a warning to someone. If you wanna volunteer as tribute, let me know!! (i'll reverse it)

Anyways, I think I have enough fodder here to studder through a 10 minute presentation.

What do you guys think? On point, or bad idea?

Brother I have an MA in Communication Studies. Hit me up and we can work it.
oh tits we should've been talking weeks ago... damn I've got till the week of the 18th for my mid term.

I can decide to go on either Mon, wed, or friday. If i go monday i can get 110, wednesday max of 100, and friday max of 90 pts.

My suggestion is to bring something else in addition to a laptop as a prop.
Something harmless that has to do with drugs. Like everyday objects that can be used as paraphernalia, like a soda can or a light bulb. That would be informative as well as interesting when you put those things out and people are like wtf?

My suggestion is to bring something else in addition to a laptop as a prop.
Something harmless that has to do with drugs. Like everyday objects that can be used as paraphernalia, like a soda can or a light bulb. That would be informative as well as interesting when you put those things out and people are like wtf?
haha and here i was trying to distance myself from the "drugs' aspect... lol but it could certainly make sense to dive right into it too

If you can do a presentation about BL without emphasizing drugs, I’d give you an A.
Yeah lol, like I was gonna try and focus on the recovery support and community parts of it. Drugs will definitely have to be spoken on at least a little bit, I'm just trying to figure out how much I should reveal about myself.

Like idk if I want to actually tell them I'm in recovery or what? If I can talk about my own life, that would make the ten minutes a lot more doable that's for sure.

I got an A in oral communications in college. A in Composition I and II. You can be a promoter of BL for speeches. Some of mine were on spanish as a second language, Nutmeg as a hallucinogen, and video games as a stress reliever. Yeah I was younger and the theme changes, but it's still your voice. Good Luck @deficiT

Hey ladies and lords, I thought I'd start a thread documenting my school work. Currently Fall '21 semester at baltimore county community college, I have 6 credits worth already that I transferred in with... Taking 3 courses for a total of 9 credits, the idea was to ease myself into the college thing since it's been such a long time since I've been in school, so I stuck with just the three classes instead of four. Beginning to think I should've stuck with just 2... but it is what it is. I'm here now, I'm gonna do it.

The three courses are :
Communications 101
English 101 intro to college composition
Intro to Human Services Counseling

The main thing I'm sweating about at the moment, is my mid term for communications. I have to talk in front of the class for 10 full minutes. The prompt is "career". He wants us to use props and shit. Seeing as how my current career goal is to be a counselor, I thought I could involve bluelight somehow, in specific the recovery support, and community forums. Could bring in my laptop as a prop. The important thing is that I have to showcase my main idea. Which I still have to nail down what exactly that would be.

My idea was to go over the mission statement to start, and then maybe do a section on each recovery forum, and maybe a couple of the community forums too. Could also show the workload that accompanies all the positions i've held, mod, smod, and admin. Could talk about recruiting mods, stopping spammers, could even show the process of giving a warning to someone. If you wanna volunteer as tribute, let me know!! (i'll reverse it)

Anyways, I think I have enough fodder here to studder through a 10 minute presentation.

What do you guys think? On point, or bad idea?
i think that communications classes are a joke, and I am concerned for anyone who thinks its hard.

Yeah lol, like I was gonna try and focus on the recovery support and community parts of it. Drugs will definitely have to be spoken on at least a little bit, I'm just trying to figure out how much I should reveal about myself.
Well if anybody sees your username while you're doing your admin. and modding demonstrations then I wouldn't worry too much about what you reveal about yourself in those ten minutes!

Prediction: a huge spike in NMI posts of the "curious" type! :ROFLMAO:

Well if anybody sees your username while you're doing your admin. and modding demonstrations then I wouldn't worry too much about what you reveal about yourself in those ten minutes!

Prediction: a huge spike in NMI posts of the "curious" type! :ROFLMAO:
True lol. I'm not actually very concerned privacy wise, I'm pretty much an open book.

It's a bit risky to bring Bluelight into school work, you just have to consider that it will bring into focus the idea that you are associated with drugs, which may or may not be a bad thing to have attached to your academic "career". That said, in my freshman communications class, I did a speech/presentation on the usage of tropane alkaloids by witches and it was very well received, the teacher was super interested and so was the class. So just know your audience I guess is what I'm saying. Which I'm sure you already have thought about. My recommendation would be to not in any way let them know what your handle is on here. Bluelight really is a great resource for the harm reduction side of drugs, so if you focus on that and try to minimize exposure to other areas of the site, you should be good as long as those involved in teaching the class are not some sort of hard liner anti-drug types. Unfortunately it's been my experience that you don't want to reveal that you have experienced addiction issues in something that could reflect on your professional life. In some cases it's okay, like at my job, I ended up humorously (in retrospect) fucking up and revealing to my boss that I had been a serious opiate addict for years and took ibogaine to get off them. Turns out his brother has struggled with heroin addiction for years and he is no teetotaler and it brought us closer, but had it been someone else at my work that found out, it might have been professional suicide. So that is the thing I would be very careful of. Attitudes towards addiction have softened in recent years, but there are still a lot of people that look down on it and you need to make sure you're not going to shoot yourself in the foot.

All that said, I think it's a very cool idea to use Bluelight, which is one of the oldest and most respected harm reduction resources out there, into your academic experience. :)

Those 10 minutes will go pretty fast. Get in....make your point....showcase our huge health and recovery section.... close with a funny story about one of us ( you can use me as an example ) and there goes your 10 minutes.

And if you choose to share anything personal about yourself keep it lighthearted and ambiguous.

Good luck.