• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

my opinion on benzodiazepines and barbiturates

Lol i didn't think mine or ones memory could get anymore screwed than with benzos.... Helooo barbs :|

Heh. Anterograde amnesia with some barbiturates is so much more significant that they make that from benzodiazepines seem like merely forgetting your car keys or the day's date in comparison

This is not universally the case, but some of the very short-acting barbiturates—the ones used for anaesthesia—don't just mix up your memory, but absolutely obliterates it in a fashion redolent to an atom bomb versus a shanty house.

Aww, don't quit out now. We're almost at my favorite part. To willingly engage another in argument, only to recourse to a craven surrender at the mildest indication of your defeat is nothing but cowardice; it's a pusillanimous cop-out and shows you haven't got the gumption to either a.) convincingly argue your contentions, or b.) the decency to concede that you're wrong and to change your opinions accordingly.

And I never said you ever said benzodiazepines are necessarily more effective, so you are probably arguing over nothing.

Therein lies the paramount mistake: you continually confuse and conflate safety with therapeutic efficacy. The two concepts are not connected. A substantial therapeutic window can coexist with a negligible therapeutic potential,and vice versa.

For the most part, yes. When it comes to how effective barbiturates are relative to benzodiazepines as drugs for ameliorating or assuaging anxiety, insomnia, a plethora of parasomnias, delirium tremens, seizures, hypertension, panic attacks, depression, social phobias, agoraphobia, intrusive thoughts, OCPD, catatonia, psychotomimesis or psychosis—there simply is no comparison.

Again, a barbiturate is to a benzodiazepine for anxiety or insomnia as caffeine is to (d)methamphetamine or methylone for psychostimulation.

I agree. And that's why pharmaceuticals are produced with specific formulations and dosages. The difference between a toxin and a drug is the dosage. Since the LD50 is lower for barbiturates compared to benzodiazepines, all that means is less of the barbiturates is used.

Barbiturates, it seems we're all too eager to forget, were prescribed for decades by clinicians and medical professionals all over the world, and they only obsolesced out of our culture's cyclical drug hysterica and fervent pharmacophobia.

Every decade has its worst drug ever. There's always some drug epidemic to popularise and proliferate through media for a burgeoning in revenue and viewership.

What's your point? Benzodiazepines are almost as demonized as barbiturates, and there exist countless articles (several entire pages of Wikipedia, alone) arguing anything from benzodiazepines are the most dangerous prescription drugs in existence (q.v., 1.) Benzodiazepines: Dangerous Drugs; 2.) Is This the World's Deadliest Pill?).

My point is that it can be equally demonstrated that clonazepam and other benzodiazepines are of no therapeutic value, insofar as we are to erroneously equate ineffective therapy with deleterious side-effect profiles.

By your reasoning, clonazepam is ineffective as a therapy because, like barbiturates, it comes with severe and numerous intrinsic risks and adverse effects.

No, not even figuratively is this well-taken or veridical. Anxiety is fear in the absense of something tangible or palpable with which to actually fear.

For example, fear arising from being immobilised on the tracks of an oncoming locomotive is not anxiety, but fear. Anxiety is like the disquietingly amorphous and unknown but imminent cousin of fear. Anxiety is the response to a potential threat or calamity, whereas fear is a response to a real threat or calamity.

If my positive anecdotes about barbiturates are inconsiderable, so too are your positive anecdotes about benzodiazepines

With a sufficiently responsible individual, yes it can and has. I personally have used barbiturates since I was 17 years old and have done so on a regular basis for almost five years hence—I'm 21, now.

One is not supposed to do any of these activities on any sedative or hypnotic drug.

The dosage is what matters, here. Too much clonazepam can make daily activities much more laborious than too little secobarbital.

Moreover, why would anybody want to do anything whilst high on secobarbital, except have sex and lounge around?

Nobody takes barbiturates just for nice, relaxing drive across the countryside or up the block to the corner store.

You really quite are. But you'll never admit to it here. And so, I've nothing further to say.

I'm more getting tired of it because I've been tired physically lately and this isn't worth the time.

But MOST of the points you make are well put here and now that you put it this way, I agree with MOST of them IF the dosage of barbiturate is actually low enough that one can live one's daily life on it and do the aforementioned activities on it with lowered anxiety...which if it's the case Does NOT make me wrong...because I never tried to argue to the contrary.

So far the ONLY thing you've made me concede, is that I was unaware it was really likely that there was such a thing as a low enough dosage of barb to able to live day to day on.

I figured that at that low a dosage they'd probably be ineffective.

None of your other points prove me wrong or really even contradict me.

I will say that I think this statement you made is not 100% correct:

"No, not even figuratively is this well-taken or veridical. Anxiety is fear in the absense of something tangible or palpable with which to actually fear.

For example, fear arising from being immobilised on the tracks of an oncoming locomotive is not anxiety, but fear. Anxiety is like the disquietingly amorphous and unknown but imminent cousin of fear. Anxiety is the response to a potential threat or calamity, whereas fear is a response to a real threat or calamity. "

This is not true IMO.

Anxiety is also having GREATER fair than is necessary in regards to a REAL threat.

I also believe that one can actually have the RIGHT level of fear to a real threat, but not be able to control themselves accordingly to be capable of responding properly due to their nerves, and that this would also be considered clinical anxiety and something to treat with a benzo.

Case in point that beta blockers are very often prescribed for this reason, to steady the nerves for situations like having stage fright where embarrassment really COULD threaten one's potential and livelihood.

However, beta blockers more directly treat the physical symptoms rather than the mental ones which benzos treat.

If I am up at night worrying about a REAL thing I have to do the next day, like take a test, and I am ruminating, that is still clinical anxiety which can be treated with a benzo because despite worrying about a REAL threat I am not able to calm myself to a reasonable degree.

In such a situation I have effectively used benzos, as well as alcohol and other substances, but I'd argue all are cases of medicinal usage even of what would be considered "recreational" drugs to aid me.

One might argue that a "healthy" enough person could use meditation, auto-hypnosis, breath counting or simple visualization to calm themselves to whatever could be considered a "proper" level of anxiety for a REAL threat.

If I am unable however to calm myself to what would be considered "normal" anxiety, even for a REAL threat, I consider that to still be clinical anxiety which can properly be treated with a benzo, a barb, alcohol, or any number of other drugs.

It's called "self medicating" for a reason.

As to your point that people are not supposed to do any of the activities outlined by me while on a "sedative", I guess some doctors would tell you not to, but mine prescribed my dosage knowing all along I'd do so and would in fact be MORE effective at doing these things due to lessened anxiety and chose the dosage knowing it would be safe.

Hence, "therapeutic window"...which TO ME in this case, I am talking not about what some overly cautious doctor might tell you to do, but how a GOOD doctor would treat someone knowing that they need to live their lives on a drug and VERY frequently be on it, maybe more often than not.

I reject out of hand that there is no dosage of benzo that one can safely live one's life on despite what some doctors may say because I and many others have seen it to be false, just as you have seen it to be false that one can't live on your dosage of barb.

I'm very intrigued and impressed by the fact that you've been able to REGULARLY use barbs though over the years and actually drive and do sports and work a job and do normal things on them without them impacting you too negatively and that changes my opinion on barbs in that manner so congrats there.

Also, you said "why would anyone want to do anything like that whilst high on barbs?"

Well, perhaps the "high" is the problem, and that would once again lower my opinion on barb usage for daily life because I don't get "high" off my benzos...they just make me feel normal and less anxious.

Therefore, there's no reason NOT to want to do anything on them, as the dosage doesn't sedate me despite your usage of the word "sedative" and it makes me MORE functional.

If your barbs aren't doing that for you...well then that kind of proves me my point.

Other than the aforementioned though, we aren't in AS much disagreement as I'd thought we were.

And truth be told, I am now more intrigued to try a benzo, and wish I'd snatched the bottle of Seconal I found when I had a change lol.

Now that I actually want to continue the discussion it seems like Nom de Plume is gone lol.

Now that I actually want to continue the discussion it seems like Nom de Plume is gone lol.

Really? You do seem very much more enthusiastic about continuing the discussion than you do about making the discussion discussable.

Your response, in all sincerity, could have been better formatted. It's arduous enough having to use a smartphone to meticulously type every character of my posts, but to be troubled by the insufferably frustrating and time-consuming task of punctiliously parsing each and every line of another interlocutor's text in addition is far too unacceptable to accept, so to say.

If one is eager for discussion with me, they should at least meet me half way by facilitating and encouraging my participation.

Really? You do seem very much more enthusiastic about continuing the discussion than you do about making the discussion discussable.

Your response, in all sincerity, could have been better formatted. It's arduous enough having to use a smartphone to meticulously type every character of my posts, but to be troubled by the insufferably frustrating and time-consuming task of punctiliously parsing each and every line of another interlocutor's text in addition is far too unacceptable to accept, so to say.

If one is eager for discussion with me, they should at least meet me half way by facilitating and encouraging my participation.

Well if you are referring to my not using mutli quoting like you, I've never learned how to do it as I'm not the most computer literate person.

Point is, in the end, it doesn't seem we disagree on as much as I thought, but you didn't prove me wrong in any way.

What we seem to disagree on from the last post I made are:

1) You see anxiety as being limited to irrational fears and worries where as I know that in fact anxiety can also be defined as worrying TOO much over something that is actually a rational concern.

Therefore, I think you are completely incorrect to tell me I am wrong about my statement that anxiety is "a kind of emotional pain".

As I said before, and I will quote myself so I don't have to repeat it:

Anxiety is also having GREATER fear than is necessary in regards to a REAL threat.

I also believe that one can actually have the RIGHT level of fear to a real threat, but not be able to control themselves accordingly to be capable of responding properly due to their nerves, and that this would also be considered clinical anxiety and something to treat with a benzo.

Case in point that beta blockers are very often prescribed for this reason, to steady the nerves for situations like having stage fright where embarrassment really COULD threaten one's potential and livelihood.

However, beta blockers more directly treat the physical symptoms rather than the mental ones which benzos treat.

And also:

2) You are saying that one should not use "sedatives" while doing any kind of activity like driving or exercising when in fact some doses of benzos are not sedating at all like my dosage and your comment "why would I want to do any of those things while high on barbiturates?"

Well, perhaps the "high" is the problem, and that would once again lower my opinion on barb usage for daily life because I don't get "high" off my benzos...they just make me feel normal and less anxious.

Therefore, there's no reason NOT to want to do anything on them, as the dosage doesn't sedate me despite your usage of the word "sedative" and it makes me MORE functional.

If your barbs aren't doing that for you...well then that kind of proves me my point.

Honestly, even despite your usage of multi quote it's just as arduous going through your posts to respond.

I disagree that I need to format most posts differently.

I break my points up into seperate lines and number them for easier reference but maybe making shorter posts would make them easier to respond to so I could try that if you'd like but if this last post is still too long for you then that's a problem...

Last edited:
I never took a Barb. Only once in the Hospital for pre-op surgey. A lot of Amnesia's are Barbs. So I couldn't remember the feelings.

But I LOVE Benzo's

Alprazolam
Diazepam
Lorazepam
Clonazepam

Not in specific order, LOVE THEM ALL!

Nimetazepam / happy 5 / erimin 5 . how come not of ya took them

after being on benzos etizolam alprazolam clonazolam and lorazepam for 4-5 months I'm trying to get off but I'm finding that theres gonna be some serious long term effects if I don't do this right. It does seem to a degree that benzos cause long term impairment of gaba receptor function due to them being modulators instead of actual agonists. I'm trying to get my hands on phenobarbital to 1. taper and get all the benzos out of my system 2. though their OD risk is high (which is why doctors hate them) I have yet to read anything on having protracted withdrawals and such from barbs after the initial withdrawal. sure benzos may be physically safe in terms of OD and not bad for the brain with occasional use.... HOWEVER if their used for anything longer than 3 weeks they seem pretty damn risk to mental health. some people fair better than others but doctors refuse to let me try pheno over the ativan or xanax. so now I'm going to try and find a good psychiatrist instead of a family doctor for this mental health stuff because he has no idea what he's doing even though he's got a great personality and really nice guy, don't mean to bash on him. but now I'm in this mess and I don't want him thinking I'm a drug seeker. My anxiety generalized, panic disorder, OCD, and PTSD is so bad I need a gabaergic, I've never responded well with any of the SSRIS or antipsychotics all of them leading to psychotic delusional behavior and memory loss. I personally think, yes like I said the overdose risk can be high for people that abuse the hell out of them, but Barbs would be a better fit for anxiety in terms of not causing long lasting withdrawal symptoms after the drug has been removed from the body

you say that now, but the current medical field is moving in the direction where in our lifetimes we will see as many benzos written as barbs. And that is NOT going to be a pretty day. Because if they ever take away my valium odds are I will go back to booze. And I even take my medication responsibly which is the fucked up part, and it helps SO well. I give two fucks if it is trading one addiction fro another. This one didn't wreck my life, and since it is RX it is RX if I ever try to abuse I run out early, no chance of getting more. And my VA doctor HATES writing benzos. He only writes these because of my insanely fucked up situation.

I agree completely. I would not last 2 days without my valium, my mental illness is so severe that I would kill myself. Thank fuck that benzos are not recreational, at least for people who don't like getting trashed. All they have ever been for me is a very effective solution to my panic disorder that was going to be a very early death for me. Also, I have not had a single alcoholic beverage since my very first valium and to me that's just night and day. The alcohol industry can rot in hell eternally, I will never buy another drink.
Doctors are utterly insane about benzos these days, and the people on them are usually anxious enough without having to worry about finding a doctor who understands. By the way, people seem to talk like they make you retarded. I'm still learning theoretical physics and practicing my engineering every day so I don't know what that's about. No shit they have side effects, it's end-of-the-line treatment for severe anxiety disorders. Also I have found opiate tolerance to be a way way way bigger issue... my benzo dose has pretty much been stable for a number of years now.
I don't think I'm getting dumber every time I use them like some asshole mentioned. I was getting dumber by the day before I started using them from extreme stress, constant panic, alcohol abuse and apoptosis (brain cells dying off from lack of use). One develops tolerance to the sedative effect very quickly but not to the anxiety relieving properties.

Last edited:
I have only tried Butabital but did not like it because what happens is, it builds up in your system so if you end up sedated for multiple days and its not fun once the initial euphoria wears off. You just wanna sleep all day.

I agree completely. I would not last 2 days without my valium, my mental illness is so severe that I would kill myself. Thank fuck that benzos are not recreational, at least for people who don't like getting trashed. All they have ever been for me is a very effective solution to my panic disorder that was going to be a very early death for me. Also, I have not had a single alcoholic beverage since my very first valium and to me that's just night and day. The alcohol industry can rot in hell eternally, I will never buy another drink.
Doctors are utterly insane about benzos these days, and the people on them are usually anxious enough without having to worry about finding a doctor who understands. By the way, people seem to talk like they make you retarded. I'm still learning theoretical physics and practicing my engineering every day so I don't know what that's about. No shit they have side effects, it's end-of-the-line treatment for severe anxiety disorders. Also I have found opiate tolerance to be a way way way bigger issue... my benzo dose has pretty much been stable for a number of years now.
I don't think I'm getting dumber every time I use them like some asshole mentioned. I was getting dumber by the day before I started using them from extreme stress, constant panic, alcohol abuse and apoptosis (brain cells dying off from lack of use). One develops tolerance to the sedative effect very quickly but not to the anxiety relieving properties.

doctors are not insane about benzos, on the contrary they over prescribe them constantly. you dont get a true understanding of how bad benzos are until you go through a serious protracted withdrawal. they seem great when youre on them, but once you get off you realize how unsafe they are. they should be replaced with safer drugs and no one who is on on them should be forced to come off against their will,.

barbs aren't entirely safe in terms of physical OD power but they should at least be easier on the mind once you come off

doctors are not insane about benzos, on the contrary they over prescribe them constantly. you dont get a true understanding of how bad benzos are until you go through a serious protracted withdrawal. they seem great when youre on them, but once you get off you realize how unsafe they are. they should be replaced with safer drugs and no one who is on on them should be forced to come off against their will,.

A lot of drugs have serious withdrawals that can be protracted...baclofen, practically all anticonvulsants such as topiramate and Depakote and perampanel (to name a few that can be pretty bad) calcium channel blockers/beta blockers/alpha 1 antagonists/alpha 2 agonists... Withdrawal from therapeutic dosages of benzodiazepines isn't that severe compared to recreational use and if you are using them as prescribed and under a doctor's supervision, then there is no point in even worrying about withdrawals and "getting off them" because you would just taper off - which should be done with almost every med.

To call them "unsafe" when in fact they are perfectly safe when used correctly, like any other drug, is just as foolish as the people who think they can use or abuse them without consequence and then just stop them abruptly and not suffer any consequence.

If someone goes through a severe, protracted withdrawal from benzodiazepines it's most likely because they abused them and didn't taper. It's not the medication's fault, and to call them bad and give them a bad reputation because of something that's the person's own fault isn't fair. Of course they are unsafe if used in this manner. But if taken therapeutically, even for extended periods, they are not likely to produce severe symptoms. Many people are able to start and stop therapeutic use of benzos haphazardly, myself included.

In my opinion, benzodiazepines are underprescribed these days...

^As to the above conversation, even though it's old... Yeah. These medications don't dumb everybody down. For people who are extremely anxious, panicky, and fearful, they make them functional and restore a feeling that has some semblance of normalcy. I myself have never gotten any detrimental cognitive effects - actually some beneficial ones sometimes, such as increased motivation and enhanced creativity - from benzodiazepine use, ever.

after being on benzos etizolam alprazolam clonazolam and lorazepam for 4-5 months I'm trying to get off but I'm finding that theres gonna be some serious long term effects if I don't do this right. It does seem to a degree that benzos cause long term impairment of gaba receptor function due to them being modulators instead of actual agonists. I'm trying to get my hands on phenobarbital to 1. taper and get all the benzos out of my system 2. though their OD risk is high (which is why doctors hate them) I have yet to read anything on having protracted withdrawals and such from barbs after the initial withdrawal. sure benzos may be physically safe in terms of OD and not bad for the brain with occasional use.... HOWEVER if their used for anything longer than 3 weeks they seem pretty damn risk to mental health. some people fair better than others but doctors refuse to let me try pheno over the ativan or xanax. so now I'm going to try and find a good psychiatrist instead of a family doctor for this mental health stuff because he has no idea what he's doing even though he's got a great personality and really nice guy, don't mean to bash on him. but now I'm in this mess and I don't want him thinking I'm a drug seeker. My anxiety generalized, panic disorder, OCD, and PTSD is so bad I need a gabaergic, I've never responded well with any of the SSRIS or antipsychotics all of them leading to psychotic delusional behavior and memory loss. I personally think, yes like I said the overdose risk can be high for people that abuse the hell out of them, but Barbs would be a better fit for anxiety in terms of not causing long lasting withdrawal symptoms after the drug has been removed from the body

No protracted withdrawals with barbiturates? That's interesting. It seems like they would be worse due to their concurrent action on ionotropic glutamate receptors and other ligand gate ion channels, as well. Keep in mind that barbiturates modulate the GABA receptor too...they aren't direct agonists, so they're similar to benzos in that manner, although they affect the chloride flux in a different manner.

Benzos will use the GABA your body has at hand their binding is like a lock essentially for GABA and benzo are the key eventually that lock... how did they put this its either permanent (I don't like saying permanent but will take a very long time) to fix itself and it needs those benz to unlock the gaba with the Ion channels it allows bursts of gaba whereas barbs will continually keep them open as well as agonize the receptor at high dosages but lower ones I have read they modulate. either way the withdrawals seem to max at about 15 days compared up to 90 for barbs. on top of that due to the long lasting changes that benzos do to the BZD site on the gaba(A) receptor tolerance is very hard to get down. might have some luck after you withdraw from flumazenil to fix that site and get rid of protracted withdrawal. beware flum can be particularly dangerous. I'm thinking that barb tolerance since like alcohol the tolerance comes from more efficient metabolizing of the drug by the liver more than recep downreg... maybe you can taper take a break and then start from lower dosages again.

I have dozens of books on GABA and benzodiazepines and they never mention any irreversible activity of benzos at the GABA A receptor. Do you have any sources?

Barbiturate withdrawal would still be more dangerous, though, because of its multiple sites of action, such as the glutamate receptors and calcium and potassium channels, and other ligand gated ion channels, such as the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. They do induce metabolism as well, themselves included, I believe. Similarly to carbamazepine, to give a well-known example.

Benzos will use the GABA your body has at hand their binding is like a lock essentially for GABA and benzo are the key eventually that lock... how did they put this its either permanent (I don't like saying permanent but will take a very long time) to fix itself and it needs those benz to unlock the gaba with the Ion channels it allows bursts of gaba whereas barbs will continually keep them open as well as agonize the receptor at high dosages but lower ones I have read they modulate. either way the withdrawals seem to max at about 15 days compared up to 90 for barbs. on top of that due to the long lasting changes that benzos do to the BZD site on the gaba(A) receptor tolerance is very hard to get down. might have some luck after you withdraw from flumazenil to fix that site and get rid of protracted withdrawal. beware flum can be particularly dangerous. I'm thinking that barb tolerance since like alcohol the tolerance comes from more efficient metabolizing of the drug by the liver more than recep downreg... maybe you can taper take a break and then start from lower dosages again.

Yes. I was wrong. My mistake. Barbiturates, as well as neuroactive steroids, both activate the GABA A receptor chloride ionophore as direct agonists, but only at anesthetic dosages.

Last edited:
Yes, its fucking protracted. And its utterly, utterly horrific. Jesus christ.....I got jailed whilst dependent upon barbital (not pheno, barbital, veronal) and by the time I got out of frank, hallucinatory nightmarish DTs, I found myself looking like I'd just crawled out of a tunnel dug with a plastic spoon and couple of soup cans by auschwitz victims. Looked like a fucking skeleton, because I'd not realized food was left there. Not going to go into too much detail, those memories, what there are of them, are still too painful. But if anyone has questions, ask them.

Assuming I remember, for right now, I'm going to go and knock myself senseless with diethyl/diisopropyl ether, and blot out having to remember that again. But ask, if there are genuine questions I will answer them as best I can.