• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids My nail in the coffin - final reason for quitting opiates - Anyone else facing this ?

timetohunt

Bluelighter
For the moment lets forget about all of the typical reasons we eventually realize that we
must quit doing opiates. You know, the whole deal where your life is no longer manageable.
The destruction of family, relationships, money, jail, health. Most of those cover a great percentage
of why it gets time to kick.

Putting those aside, let's pretend nothing really bad has happened to us yet. So lets say indeed you
have been living pleasantly along side of opiates, in my case mainly oxymorphone.
Over the past 18 months of a 7 year dependency, things have changed, while the change was gradual, it could be considered drastic looking at where I am now.

While I don't want to make this post long by providing all of my background, I just want it to be known
that I was the type of opiate user to acquire the following: Lots of energy, ideal focus, confidence, reduced
anxiety and better mobility/pain relief. I was opposite of a nodder, never did that even at large doses (4x20mg opana nasal in one sitting for example). As is fairly common I met opiates for what I thought was legit pain
treatment. All of the other byproducts as noted above (some might say side effects), were exactly what I wanted. I especially reveled in the anxiety relief which allowed me to become more focused in anything I did (except sex, which went by the way side). The pandas became my nasal productivity pills.

Without explaining the entire timeline, here is where I am at now. I sleep way too much and get up for my dose only to wind up back in bed for another 6 hours often making for 13 hours of sleep. This never happened before, neither did daytime nodding, which I do a lot now. I find myself depressed and anxious even with solid doses. This is perhaps the most troubling, and if I don't take as much, my anxiety is off the charts, no sleep. The withdrawals are horrendous. Physically it has also changed. I have to manually help myself to expel the hardened feces that binds me up for my twice a week BM. I am prone to bouts of serotonin syndrome type illness with myoclonic twitches and sometimes puking for stretches lasting over 36 hours. The twitches have remained semi-permanent. This is where I am literally getting sick taking opiates. I get super sick if I don't too of course, and am only doing it to hope I can have a well day (which I do occasionally), and also to not withdrawal. This is what I call my Strung-Out Illness.

I have kicked a couple times recently. As usual, my hand goes back into the jar. I feel great on them for about 3 or 4 days, than it all goes back to what I have written above. Sick and useless. I know I am going to quit and I will succeed. In a way, the problems that I have described are actually helping me (forcing me really), to make the change. Has anyone had an experience similar to this? I know part of it is that my tolerance is not humanly manageable. I just have not heard of anyone that got sick from doing them as opposed to say just "staying well". So again, putting aside most of the typical reasons that people must stop, my major one is that they don't provide anything other than stopping WD, and make me very very not well when doing them. This is a big difference from just a couple years ago.

SIDE NOTE: If I get clean for like 2 months, and use once, I still feel super awful, almost WDing the next day. If I use for more than 3 days in a row, I'm totally hooked and even the length of the WD seems like something coming off years. When I quit, after the WDs, the illness stops. So I know its not another different health issue. My problem that gets me back into it is the anxiety and lethargy that accompany PAWS, and trick myself into thinking a day of relief wont hurt, but it does hurt, and badly. Now I just have to keep reminding myself those issues are way better than the strung-out illness. I will have to divorce this, no way to make it work any longer.

Last edited:
You cross the line my friend. It happens to most of us. My best estimation if you continue to continue to use opiates for 5+ years it'll happen.

Subutex brings on the serotonin syndrome type illness worse than full agonist opiates.

Have you tried Kratom for quitting? It has helped me a lot. Also i never got the symptoms you describe even after 2+4 years on Subutex and then morphine.

And for the PAWS I would recommend an SNRI, Venlafaxine for example. It might also be interesting to look into Tianeptine, either to help you quit or to get through the PAWS.

What??? Omg I learned something new. I get bad twitches as well and I thought it was due to lexapro. I had no idea opiates were involved in that at all.
Is this common? Sometimes my whole body jerks . It's very disconcerting. I keep wondering what would happen if it happened when I was walking or driving. (It always hits when I'm sitting or in bed)

Pandas? Is that what you call them? I've never heard that before, if so, why pandas? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

^ I believe the term panda originated as a slang term for opana.. derived from opan(d)a.

I also have learned something new!

[h=1]Myoclonus[/h]
I am not a recreational user of Opiates. Rather, I have been a straight and narrow person; I have never abused any drugs in my entire lifetime. I rarely drink (maybe 1 glass of wine every 5-6 months), and I have never smoked. I am middle-aged (36) and have been very career-focused in life (achieving an executive level of management within my career field).

Rather, I have become terminally ill that has required me to take a lot of opiates to manage day to day life. I have multiple issues that I won't list, but I will list out my pain medicine:

- Fentenyl Patches (200mcg every 72hrs) | Dosage of two 100mcg (I wear two patches, equalling 200mcg). 72 hour interval to change.
- Oxycontin tabs (120mg daily) | Dosage of 60mg in the morning, dosage of 60mg in the evening. 120mg total daily
- Hydromorphon Tabs (48mg daily) | Dosage of two 8mg tabs, three times daily, for a total of 48mg per day.

I have been on this type of high regiment since Aprilish of 2015. I have had different combinations of medicines, but at very high quantities. In which, one thing I have noticed is that my muscles are twitching. It started small, usually my left arm or right arm - around my hand/wrist area. Then I noticed it in my feet. Soon thereafter, it was my entire leg and entire arm. The frequency of it occurring is high; I would say it occurs multiple times a minute when I am awake and actively sitting down or resting. Thats when I seem to notice it the most.

I will definately be talking to my doctor more about these muscle issues, and see what we can do about them. I am currently on a medicine for them, but I was never diagnosed with any specific ailment. Rather, the doctor was trying out this specific muscle type of drug to see if it would help.

I am curious if others are also impacted by this issue?

In regards to the bowel movement problems, I also have those type of issues as well. On a daily basis, I take three capsules of stool softeners. Historically, this has worked pretty well. Yet, I just recenlty had an issue occur where I was so backed up that over the course of 24-36 hours, I would vomit non-stop. I couldn't take in any food or drink over a period of time, without vomiting again. Once diarrhea kicked in, I was better. I now watch my bowel movements regularly. If I don't have a movement within 2 days, I will take a laxative.

Ultimately, I am terminally ill. I don't have an option to NOT take opiates for pain control, as the "Chornic Pain Syndrome" ailment I have is extremely serious. While the other diseases I have developed (heart, kidney, bladder, autonomic neuropathy, type 1 diabetes, etc.) will ultimately kill me, the Chronic Pain Syndrome is something that if left un-managed - there is no purpose to continue living as I would rather be dead! Yes, it is that bad and that painful.

I would be very curious to see what other issues timetohunt has or anyone else - from prolonged usage of opiates.

Thanks,
-Joe

^ myoclonus, or more precisely, hypnic jerks are exceedingly common among opioid and sedative users. When you decrease respiration and heart rate, your body thinks you might be dying and essentially sends and electrical 'zap' to ensure you don't. This is very common among the general population when the respiration slows when falling asleep and is far more frequent in opioid and sedative users. This is generally not an indication of danger, but just a common physiological response to certain stimuli.

^ myoclonus, or more precisely, hypnic jerks are exceedingly common among opioid and sedative users. When you decrease respiration and heart rate, your body thinks you might be dying and essentially sends and electrical 'zap' to ensure you don't. This is very common among the general population when the respiration slows when falling asleep and is far more frequent in opioid and sedative users. This is generally not an indication of danger, but just a common physiological response to certain stimuli.

Definitely have had those and unfortunately and on numerous occasions I'd be holding a drink when it happened. I used to get shit all over the place when my drink went flying across the room. Used to piss my wife off to no end!

I too experience 'Jerks'. I also sleep for over 12 hours, sometimes all day if I have no where to be. I hardly go to the toilet and I go from being bound up to diarrhoea (if I don't have any pills) the next day! (I'm addicted to codiene and I take a a 30 pack of Nurofen Plus just about every day or so). The most worrying for me is the vomiting and mild stomach pain. I vomit just about every time I've had pills, sometimes up to 3 or 4 times a day. I've tried suboxone, cold turkey, rehab etc and nothing has worked. I know that Iam doing serious damage to my insides as the vomiting has become more frequent. I am going to try and ween myself off, cutting down the tablets over a period of time. I'm also thinking of trying weed to help with the cravings, because they are what let me down. I have been addicted to this stuff over 8 years on and off and I don't want to end up in hospital told that one or some of my organs are failing. I know exactly what you are going through, so please, if you want to talk PM me. I just joined up on this site today, and talking to other like minded people would definitely help.