• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe My current rapid taper off high dose H with bupe

DickMcWickland

Greenlighter
Hey all,

Recently posted a thread about the counterproductive fear and hesitance to tackle opiate withdrawals early on. I know early on in my opiate days, I began maintaining every day use for the sole purpose of avoiding withdrawal symptoms from a month-long binge. I likely wouldn't have developed a serious physical dependency for months, had I just gone on blissfully unaware of the wealth of online threads building up withdrawals from short-term, low dose use as "hell". So I ran from a "disease" I hadn't yet contracted because what had always been good preparation (online research) became a total mind-fuck. Once I figured out the symptoms of cessation were completely bearable, if not quite unpleasant, I'd already strung together 8 months or so of daily IV use, and something in my brain had just changed. I began pawning and scheming, as rationalizing my next fix became an all too powerful compulsion, rooted too deep in my brain to ignore. So again, any short-term users reading this must understand: get out while you can, and I promise, you can. You will know hell if you keep going. Don't fixate on the physical symptoms and embrace them for three or four days with the knowledge it'll be the last time.

With 3.5 mg bupe as my only withdrawal aid, I am now on hour 96 since my last heroin use (1 g high quality ECP IV/day for ~2 years) and as you can imagine, I don't feel good. I felt the best strategy given my laughable quantity of bupe as compared to my relatively large habit would be to wait as long as humanly possible before IVing as little bupe as possible to not feel horrible. I managed to hold out 42 hours before IVing my first 1 mg of sub. I didn't feel as good as I thought I might, especially given how long I waited and how much room for improvement had already appreciated as I reached the peak of the withdrawal. I felt the dose really wearing off quickly and realized why IV was in fact possibly less effective overall than SL. Despite the increased BV, the meds were holding me about half as long. Still, I made it to hour 72 with only 2mg total IV bupe. From hour 72 until hour 96 now, I have used another 1 mg in two separate shots. I plan to use my final .5 mg in 2 .25 mg shots to carry me through hour 120, at which point I will be out of bupe, but five days away from dope, two of them completely CT and the rest with only 3.5 mg bupe. My question is, should I anticipate serious crash and, if so, how should I best handle it to ensure I remain functional.

I'm currently taking omega-3, 5-htp, turmeric, vitamin C, multivitamins, NAC, test booster, chlorophyll, and protein shakes, and also eating a lot of admittedly unhealthy whole foods as well because of the weed. I have a prescription for Wellbutrin/Bupropion 100 mg twice daily -- should I start taking that tomorrow after all the bupe is gone? As you can tell, I'm no amateur here but I've also never gone this long clean before without a much larger dose of bupe. Even then, it was a vacation and I was on dope within an hour of landing back home. So yeah, I've never made it through to the other side so to speak. That said, please, someone, anyone who has come out on the other side of this thing, what do the next few days hold in store for me? Should I maybe use my final .5 mg SL with alcohol instead of two or three IV doses and hope the long half life carries me through to day six or so? I have to assume that dropping off the bupe at such a low dose after five or six full days away from dope will leave me relatively unscathed (physically speaking; not counting the fact that my world has been devastated by dope and I'm already on the verge of having nothing and no one left). Any other tips/tricks for transitioning back to normal society and being able to get out of bed in the morning and do things like a normal person? It's just been so long, and I wan't to make the most of the opportunity I've finally afforded myself these last few days.

To sum it up -- four days clean of dope, two days cold turkey and the last two with a total of 3mg IV bupe. I've felt maybe 80% better than full WD this whole time since taking the bupe, but still been pretty cold, achy, and anxious. I have .5 mg left and I'm hoping to feel better every day out from here, not worse. Is that viable? If not, what is a logical scenario and how best can I acclimate to that scenario with the supplements listed above?

Dick, you are the epitome of correct w/d strategy. The iron balls with which you've faced your dilemma and the restraint you've used with what little you have is frankly very inspiring, and you are correct about what you said about some users being babies about ceasing short term use, and many will benefit from taking heed of your experience.

A rapid bupe taper is the way to go. We all wish you had more so you could be more comfortable but your circumstances serve to show how so little can go so far, and how when some ppl take 16+ MG's and it "still doesn't hold them" are doing something wrong.

I think 5-6 days away from last use the most terrible acute period is over. As the bupe clears out, you'll likely face some irritation (hot/cold sensitivity, etc) but you've effectively masked the major portion with bupe already.

Now comes the challenge of resisting going back due to stage 2 of w/d (minor discomforts, depression, cravings).

Can you source any gabapentin or clonidine? They're easy to get, non-habit forming and should knock out any persisting symptoms in the days to come. The other stuff you listed will ho a long way too but I don't know what to say about how best to use them.

Well done. As you can see from the length of my reply, I'm really digging what you've done and how you've done it, its what I've been trying to tell ppl for years.

Dick, you are the epitome of correct w/d strategy. The iron balls with which you've faced your dilemma and the restraint you've used with what little you have is frankly very inspiring, and you are correct about what you said about some users being babies about ceasing short term use, and many will benefit from taking heed of your experience.

A rapid bupe taper is the way to go. We all wish you had more so you could be more comfortable but your circumstances serve to show how so little can go so far, and how when some ppl take 16+ MG's and it "still doesn't hold them" are doing something wrong.

I think 5-6 days away from last use the most terrible acute period is over. As the bupe clears out, you'll likely face some irritation (hot/cold sensitivity, etc) but you've effectively masked the major portion with bupe already.

Now comes the challenge of resisting going back due to stage 2 of w/d (minor discomforts, depression, cravings).

Can you source any gabapentin or clonidine? They're easy to get, non-habit forming and should knock out any persisting symptoms in the days to come. The other stuff you listed will ho a long way too but I don't know what to say about how best to use them.

Well done. As you can see from the length of my reply, I'm really digging what you've done and how you've done it, its what I've been trying to tell ppl for years.

Thanks Phil! Awesome, informed, and encouraging reply through and through.

Unfortunately, what triggered the creation of this thread was the fact that I'm essentially at the end of my rope and have no access to clonidine or neurontin anymore. I had all these things and more (adderall, lots of bupe), but sold them to buy dope. I've also pretty much pawned everything I own and then some, am unemployed and owe something like $450 by week's end to remain with a home to live in and I don't have a job. So even though I am generally a huge believer in how clonidine and/or lyrica/gabapentin can mask even the most serious WD symptoms, It's truly the end of the line with no hope of acquiring the few bucks it would take to get into a doctor's office and get some proper withdrawal aids. I'm limited to the supplements, the wellbutrin, and two 10 mg adderall pills (I know I can buy myself at least one good day with the amps).

Sucky situation. Sometimes that's what it takes to get us to change things up.

Stims during w/d? It helps you? I'd be worried about exacerbating insomnia...but I'm guessing that hasn't been a problem for you?

You shouldn't have to get much worse after the bupe, even with IV use it will SLOWLY exit your body dulling the more serious symptoms. I would wait on the wellbutrin till at least one week post. Use the adderall only if you NEED to get things done, and do not use the wellbutrin within 24-48 hours of the amphetamines (before). For me wellbutrin basically blocks the better part of the stimulant effects.

If you can find a couple doses of benzos (even if through an online vendor) they would help for the next few days or even later with the insomnia. Just do not get enough to form a habit, using them to sleep for a week or two straight shouldn't cause too much trouble and it will seriously help with the anxiety and depression aspects of w/d (including restlessness).

Sucky situation. Sometimes that's what it takes to get us to change things up.

Stims during w/d? It helps you? I'd be worried about exacerbating insomnia...but I'm guessing that hasn't been a problem for you?

Stims in general no, but a moderate dose of time released adderall all but completely negates the dysphoria and lethargy of WD, and even helps with the anxiety despite the simulation as it produces a false sense of self esteem and confidence. Meanwhile, this dose is not high enough to produce a comedown beyond what benadryl, weed, or kava can handle. Honestly, if one had enough adderall to stay tweaked for the acute WD period and enough Xanax or gabapentin to cushion the fall, they'd be golden. But yeah, I have no doubt my incredibly sucky situation was the push I needed to make a meaningful change finally. For once, even the deepest, darkest side of my addiction has been unable to justify using "just this once." I'm simply on the verge of losing too much.

Oh OK. Whenever I think of any stims when w/d I just imagine a cocaine comedown after tearing through a gram to the dome and trying to sleep at 6am with my heart trying to rip out my chest XD

I can totally see XR addy helping with lethargy and depression, especially for anyone with a tolerance.

Well done man. Keep us updated as things progress!

You shouldn't have to get much worse after the bupe, even with IV use it will SLOWLY exit your body dulling the more serious symptoms. I would wait on the wellbutrin till at least one week post. Use the adderall only if you NEED to get things done, and do not use the wellbutrin within 24-48 hours of the amphetamines (before). For me wellbutrin basically blocks the better part of the stimulant effects.

If you can find a couple doses of benzos (even if through an online vendor) they would help for the next few days or even later with the insomnia. Just do not get enough to form a habit, using them to sleep for a week or two straight shouldn't cause too much trouble and it will seriously help with the anxiety and depression aspects of w/d (including restlessness).

Ok, good call on the wellbutrin/adderall interaction.

OK all, now ~115 hours since last use and still in possession of ~.2 mg bupe. Despite only using one .25 mg shot yesterday, I wasn't entirely miserable because I was smoking a lot of weed, eating ice cream, and watching Shameless with my lovely gf most of the day. Still, there's no denying the temperature sensitivity, aches, anxiety, and general malaise were all still quite prevalent. Today I woke up, out of weed and surely with a negligible amount of bupe circulating in my system at this point. I had diarrhea and was very cold, but I'd say my energy and general ability to function like a proper adult were at least back up to 60% or so. I had a little more bupe remaining than I thought, ~.3 mg, which I cut into two ~.15 mg slivers. After IVing one of the slivers, listening to uplifting music, and taking my supplements, I can honestly say I feel great. My muscles are tight and achy, I'm somewhat cold, and I have this feeling of wanting to do something, anything productive. It's an uneasy feeling but compared to immense lethargy, it's fantastic. Throughout the last 12 months or so of addiction, I managed to maintain a $50-$200/day dope intake with no regular source of income. My home equity, car title, designer suits/shades/accessories, Swiss watches, flat screen TVs, 5.1 surround systems, people's jewelry, and countless fraudulently obtained gift cards funded my self-destruction during this time. As a result, I no longer have a bank account, credit cards, a gym membership, or a working car. What I'm getting at is, if I had the means, I'd be taking a drive to the golf course or the gym right now. I'm a lifelong athlete and up until this most recent run, I'd been earning a very good living as a model. This is the first time I haven't been able to latch onto fitness/exercise as a coping mechanism. If I could just go to the gym, or even if I hadn't sold my bike, I'd be out in the world right now breaking a heavy sweat -- I feel that good, that motivated. I suppose I could go for a jog, but as a longtime bodybuilder and cyclist, I've always loathed running as the lowest form of exercise for skinny-fat people. I remember a time in my life when just smoking weed and cheating on my diet and supplement regimen for a day or two would throw me into a depression and make me hate myself for a week. Now, here I am with no muscles, an added 50 lbs of fat, no material possessions, and barely through the first stage of recovery from a major long-term heroin dependency. It's an incredibly daunting task at hand and yet, somehow, I don't hate myself like I used to. The guy who got his rocks off picking up girls at clubs, wearing designer clothes, and maintaining 8% body fat year-round became a pudgy, hairy, bloated junkie with nothing but a big, empty house to sit around in, sober and anxious, and I'm ashamed to say I feel happy. I know that, while it may take two or three months for me to get my body and my car/license back, I am at this moment unshackled from a life of perpetual misery.

It occurs to me now that maybe this addiction could be a blessing in disguise. Where I used to be a narcissist unable to derive joy from anything other than recreational drug use, looking at myself in the mirror, buying expensive things, and casual sex with unrealistically good-looking women, I am now just a guy who'd be overjoyed to have a ride to the driving range or a pass to my community fitness center. Where I used to be embarrassed that my BMW wasn't as nice as the Arab guy's 6-series in front of the club, I'm now proud to be just five days without heroin. I met a beautiful girl while addicted to dope and, instead of using her for sex and ghosting as I'd done so many times before, I was nodding and content to settle down with her. I mean, it was a move made for the sake of convenience as I certainly didn't have time to chase women and dope. No one does. Plus, I thought, "why not invite her to live with me and pay rent so I can have a couple hundred extra heroin dollars each month?" Well, I genuinely came to fall in love with this person as she nurtured me through countless failed Day Ones, pawned rings, and relapses. She'd bring me money whenever I didn't have the time or energy to scam for my next fix, and let me borrow her car to score every day for the last two months after I lost mine. She enabled me and it occurred to me why we were together. I began to fear that if I did move on from the dope, it would have to be without her. That wasn't the case. I love her as much at this moment as as I did every time she'd bring me home a crisp $50 bill to score with. In summation, I lost my way and yet somehow found love and humility. After earning $100/day without a job for the last year, I know nothing in front of me will likely ever be as difficult again. It's not just a bullshit junkie cliche -- everything after being a rock bottom addict is the easy part.

Last edited:
shit, I wish I had read this thread sooner, you're going through almost the exact same thing I was, 2 plus year 1 g IV habit (I was using BTH the majority of the time though though I actually find it harder to withdrawal off of due to the cruder synthesis), I left california and came to ohio, and had no ID nor a social security card so I couldn't get any buprenorphine for 7 days.

what I did, which worked was get a decent amount of Kratom (I used Maeng Da), dosing 10-15g 2x a day kept me well, that plant is really a miracle.

shit, I wish I had read this thread sooner, you're going through almost the exact same thing I was, 2 plus year 1 g IV habit (I was using BTH the majority of the time though though I actually find it harder to withdrawal off of due to the cruder synthesis), I left california and came to ohio, and had no ID nor a social security card so I couldn't get any buprenorphine for 7 days.

what I did, which worked was get a decent amount of Kratom (I used Maeng Da), dosing 10-15g 2x a day kept me well, that plant is really a miracle.

Hell yes it is a miracle. I remember when I was only using .5 g/day IV for 3-6 months and powdered Maeng Da kratom leaf at 7-8g 2-3x daily kept me not just well, but energetic and happy. If I had any this time around, I imagine a truly painless detox would have been achievable.

What do you mean by bupe? I am also currently going through withdraws and I have some pills with 555 1003 on them? Is this the same thing? I have kratom but it doesn't efficiently work I need more options ?

Nah, bupe is suboxone/subutex. Google tells me what you've got is buspirone for treatment of sexual dysfunction and depression, and that it won't help you WD. Honestly if kratom worked for Z-Neg and me, considering our fairly huge IV habits, but isn't holding you, I have to assume you should source a better vendor and try again asap.

I just ate some kratom so I'll see how I feel, I was also a big iv user and today is the first day I quit

OK, fair enough then. Assuming you can't get any gabapentin/lyrica or clonidine or benzos/barbs to knock you out or keep you comfortably numb until the acute phase is over, I'd try to source as little as 4 mg of suboxone or half of an 8 mg strip. My thread here should serve as living proof that you can successfully detox with that amount, assuming you're willing to get through 36-48 hours before taking the bupe. I have to emphasize that part because, even though I'm in mild WD by hour 12-16, it's not until hour 40+ that someone with a truly big habit can dose bupe and get substantial relief. Like Phil said in one of the first posts above, most people with large IV tolerances complain no amount of bupe (16 mg+) effectively alleviates their WD by more than 50% on the first dose. I used to be one of these people because I was a pussy and couldn't manage getting through the first day of WD, during which one's tolerance drops so dramatically that even just 2-4 mg would sort them out. In fact, I found that with a hasty induction, bupe actually made my cravings worse because at the high doses I thought I required, the drug was giving me side effects like lethargy and hot flashes. Once I got the balls to stick things out for a day, I found myself generously rewarded by the true strength of subs -- complete and total relief of WD symptoms. Now that wasn't possible because my typical 2-4 mg induction dose for Day 2 was all I had for the entire detox, and yet I still felt an 80% reduction. Now, having said all that, if I had the Lyrica and clonidine, I'd forego the subs entirely to make the acute period as short as possible. You'd still suffer lethargy physically, maybe even more than usual, but you'd also be mentally and physically comfortable. Then again, if all you're able to obtain is a few mg of sub, use them over the course of 3-4 days in decreasing doses as I've done seemingly effectively thus far. I've been using benadryl and/or doxylamine succinate and sleeping 8 hours. Some people get increased RLS from those though, so tread lightly. There's also melatonin, which although conditioned as drug users to laugh at natural remedies, this really works at 3-10 mg and a genuine attempt to sleep in a dark room. One thing we all have to get used to is that no matter what detox method we use, during the aftermath of our addiction, we're not just going to fall asleep like normal people. And I don't think that's even fully a result of the symptoms, so much as the psychological conditioning of just being able to pass out at will for so long. Hell, as junkies our mentality is trying to keep our eyes open, not shutting them and patiently waiting to fall asleep in a dark, quiet room at a consistent time every night.

Benzodiazepines and clonedine for sleep. What kind of Kratom do you have? Certain strains are more potent along with brands if your getting it from a headshop like I had to (the Maeng Da capsules from Kratom Therapy were the best I was able to get). also you need to use at least 8-10g's at a time to get well (actually at 10 grams eaten on an empty stomach (the tea wasn't effective for me) I got a nice little buzz, though keep in mind I had already been three days cold turkey off a pretty brutal habit).

Yeah, honestly I think they'd need closer to 15-20g at a time the first day or at least a good polydrug combo to smooth things out fully, assuming similar tolerance. The tea didn't work for me either, not at all. I'm thinking the reason Z-Neg got better than expected relief was his long waiting time in WD before dosing the kratom to help. His tolerance likely dropped significantly during that time, resulting in far more relief. Similar to my strategy with the first dose of sub.

^ exactly my receptors just slurped that Kratom up. Agreed Mcwickland;)

Okay guys I have kratom powder and I attempted to make tea, but now it's all over my kitchen floor. ? I would love to get a suboxone and try what you are, but I don't have insurance and there's a waiting list to get in. I actually do have melatonin it works occasionally