Forum GuidelinesBluelight Rules
  • Lounge Moderators: andyturbo | BK38 | D's | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Hangry! My cat killed my computer

SnafuInTheVoid

Moderator: NMI, NSADD
Staff member
So I got off work, jumped on the computer.

I hear a light popping sound and my monitor goes crazy and freezes. Then I look down. I had lazily left the side panel of my desktop computer off and my cat was proudly clawing at the motherboard. I freaked out.

I pulled my cat away, luckily he was not shocked and shut off my computer. Fuck. Turn it back on and it boots to windows. Awesome.

Nope. Complete shutoff after 30 seconds and now the fans will spin up but the computer is power cycling.

So yeah. $400 motherboard.

Now due to what happened I'm 95% certain it's the motherboard and not the power supply.

Either way no local stores have a good replacement so now I won't have a PC for 4-5 days.

Oh and it's raining and the whole neighborhood power will be out for at least a whole day.

So now I'm drinking in dark silence, glad Leeroy is fine. All that matters!

Cheshire_Kat

Administrator
Staff member
What a CAT-astrophe :cool:

Meanwhile the cat is thinking to itself "Mission accomplished! Now Snafu will have to pay more attention to me!"

That's why when I upgrade I file away my old parts or gift the computer to my wife.

I feel your pain, that's how I got to the point of stashing away old hardware.

SnafuInTheVoid

Staff member
What a CAT-astrophe :cool:

Meanwhile the cat is thinking to itself "Mission accomplished! Now Snafu will have to pay more attention to me!"

That's why when I upgrade I file away my old parts or gift the computer to my wife.

I feel your pain, that's how I got to the point of stashing away old hardware.
That's exactly what he was doing. Wanting attention.

I wasn't mad. I knew he was doing it and it's just one of those things I was too lazy to fix and I paid the price.

And yeah, I had a closet full of various parts in Texas. Could have build 2 PCs from random junk.

I left all of that when moving to NC. And a brand new sofa set, mattress set, all my camping gear... I left my whole life behind. Which I'm starting to regret...

thujone

Bluelight Crew
unless the cat scratched the board so hard a trace was severed, it's probably ok. turn off the PSU power switch and pull the mobo battery for 5m while you check over everything, reseat the components, then put the battery back in and turn it on.

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
That's exactly what he was doing. Wanting attention.

I wasn't mad. I knew he was doing it and it's just one of those things I was too lazy to fix and I paid the price.

And yeah, I had a closet full of various parts in Texas. Could have build 2 PCs from random junk.

I left all of that when moving to NC. And a brand new sofa set, mattress set, all my camping gear... I left my whole life behind. Which I'm starting to regret...
I feel that man <3

SnafuInTheVoid

Staff member
unless the cat scratched the board so hard a trace was severed, it's probably ok. turn off the PSU power switch and pull the mobo battery for 5m while you check over everything, reseat the components, then put the battery back in and turn it on.
Thank you, I'm ex-IT and should be able to figure this out but got a bit frustrated and had to go buy some booze to process this.

I was going to reseat the ram, which is around where he touched I think, but my build is complex and tight, need to remove the water cooler fans to release the ram.

Thanks tho I'll see if I can fix it. I have hope still.

SnafuInTheVoid

Staff member
Wow ok it's a headache to take apart a completely black computer with no fucking lights.

Can this day get any worse? Yes. Yes it could. Knock on wood broskies

SnafuInTheVoid

Staff member
Shouldn't have let the computer get in the way of paying attention to your cat. After you did that, your computer had to go. :D
To be fair I give my cat A SHIT LOAD of attention, I'm also around the house more than someone with a normal 9-5

I'm sure all of you know how much I admire this little demonic feline

Honestly I give him so many pets he's a little crack fiend for them now

Klue

Bluelight Crew
Leeroy is a great name for a cat. My black Labrador I had as a kid was named Leroy 🙂

D's

Sr. Moderator: NMI, TDS, TL
Staff member
Here are some random pictures of cats and computers @SnafuInTheVoid

relex_author

Bluelighter
So I got off work, jumped on the computer.

I hear a light popping sound and my monitor goes crazy and freezes. Then I look down. I had lazily left the side panel of my desktop computer off and my cat was proudly clawing at the motherboard. I freaked out.

I pulled my cat away, luckily he was not shocked and shut off my computer. Fuck. Turn it back on and it boots to windows. Awesome.

Nope. Complete shutoff after 30 seconds and now the fans will spin up but the computer is power cycling.

So yeah. $400 motherboard.

Now due to what happened I'm 95% certain it's the motherboard and not the power supply.

Either way no local stores have a good replacement so now I won't have a PC for 4-5 days.

Oh and it's raining and the whole neighborhood power will be out for at least a whole day.

So now I'm drinking in dark silence, glad Leeroy is fine. All that matters!
Are you a ghost?