• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine My brush with death from cocaine.

Bomb319

Bluelighter
Background:

Maybe the topic title seems a bit melodramatic. All I know is that the day it happened, I *knew* at the time, that that day was going to be my last. Obviously, and incredibly thankfully, it wasn't. I was/am a pretty severe opiate addict - the chain of progression stemming from being prescribed Percocet by my doctor - 100 of the 5/325 pills per month for 3 years, at which time he suspected I was becoming addicted. He cut me off cold-turkey, called the pharmacy to cancel my remaining pills, and didn't put me on anything else or even suggest counselling. Although I was definitely developing a problem with it, these actions are what made me plunge off the cliff and eventually become an IV heroin addict. During the time I was going through the worst of it and losing everything, I experimented with other drugs at the same time - but only if I already had, and was high on, enough opiate. Cocaine was my second most used drug, but paradoxically, I honestly did NOT like the feeling of it, and generally felt nothing but anxiety. Yet as soon as I used it all up, I would go and buy more - but only right after using it. If I waited until the next day, I had no craving or desire to buy more at all. Even after using it in this way on and off for several months, I easily quit and haven't bought or wanted to buy it for close to 2 years. I felt (and still feel) however, that I could never kick my severe opiate addiction (I do love them). So I've been on methadone maintenance for the last 2 years and have been entirely clean for over a year.

The Story:

Anyway, the worst day of my life was due to cocaine. This is a bit long, so you don't have to read the rest unless you're interested :p

One time I had bought some coke that I suppose was more potent (purer) than usual. This was during a time in my life where I had a very severe opiate addiction, and it was destroying every aspect of my life - especially my education since I lived alone and wouldn't/couldn't go to class because of opiate withdrawal, or needing to go out and buy more or wait for my guy to be ready (or get money however I could). Anyway, I woke up in the morning, unwisely snorted more coke than I should have, strapped on my heavy backpack, and left my apartment for the 20-30 minute walk to school.

This was one of two times in my life where I was absolutely convinced that I had killed myself - I was dying, and there was nothing I could do about it. About halfway through my walk, the coke began kicking in intensely. I was already very sweaty and had a rapid heartbeat from the exercise and weight of my backpack alone. When the coke kicked in, it shot up my anxiety and heart rate to levels beyond those I had thought the human body could withstand. To make matters somehow even worse, my awareness of this fact in addition to knowing that the come-up was only going to become more intense, there was nowhere I could lie down, sit or even rest since I was in the middle of a huge field, and the fact that I would have to somehow make my way either to school or back home in that condition, made all of my symptoms spike even more than they already had! I swear to God, my heart was racing so fast, I couldn't even count its beats; it was like one solid, intense, continued beat. I started puking, which put even more strain on my chest and heart, and added to my anxiety. This is the point where I KNEW I was dead.

Yet somehow, even though I'm sure my heart had temporarily been damaged, or blood flow blocked, etc., I managed to make it to my school building (it was slightly closer than home, and at this point I was just desperate to rest anywhere I could get help). I did it by collapsing down to set every few minutes, leaning against buildings, and I don't even remember much of it. All I know is that when I eventually managed to get to the building (still carrying my heavy-as-hell backpack), I was shaking and trembling so hard, I couldn't sit on the chair. My lab instructor whose class I was missing eventually came out and saw me there. I lied and told him I was having a severe panic attack - which I suppose was partly true, plus my extremely obvious symptoms corroborated that story well. He was sympathetic and kind, and he let me sit on the chair outside the class when I was able to do so without falling. He even brought me a bottle of water, however I could not drink it - my hands were shaking far too wildly and erratically to execute any semblance of motor control.

So I had to sit in hell, but at least out of the field which could have been the last place I ever saw. I was sitting alone - I had to somehow contend with and try my best to control my extreme anxiety which had only been increased even further by having this reaction in front of my teacher. I also had to contend with the continued cocaine-induced hyperstimulation and generally the entire experience, doing my best to lower my heart rate in spite of it all. It took me nearly four hours before I could even get up off the chair. I had no money to buy food, either. When the coke eventually wore off entirely and my body stopped vibrating uncontrollably, I went home, choked down some food, and lay down.

It was a hellish nightmare, and I'm immensely lucky to be alive. Heart attacks and stroke run in my family to such a high degree, every single male in my mom's family died of one or the other before the age of 55. That knowledge didn't exactly help me, either. My sedentary lifestyle, migraines with aura, and other risk factors (many caused by my opiate addiction) made me almost certain that escaping death that day was miraculous.

Yeah sounds like a scary experience, this is one of the many reasons I don't enjoy cocaine anymore. Use this as a lesson and dont use cocaine anymore. You are very lucky but luck does eventually run out.

Yeah, this happened about 3-4 years ago now. I don't use coke at all, and only did in the past while I was viciously addicted to opiates. I think that may have been due to a combination of several factors:

1. I was at rock bottom anyway - may as well try what's available
2. Opiates greatly mitigated the inevitable anxiety from coke
3. I had extra cash at times, and the more drugs, the better in my warped thoughts
4. I was also addicted to the very act of finding a way to get money, then scoring. It was like a sick achievement whenever I did.
5. It meant I saw my dealer(s) more often, meaning they usually were quicker when I got what I REALLY needed - opiates.

Yeah, this happened about 3-4 years ago now. I don't use coke at all, and only did in the past while I was viciously addicted to opiates. I think that may have been due to a combination of several factors:

1. I was at rock bottom anyway - may as well try what's available
2. Opiates greatly mitigated the inevitable anxiety from coke
3. I had extra cash at times, and the more drugs, the better in my warped thoughts
4. I was also addicted to the very act of finding a way to get money, then scoring. It was like a sick achievement whenever I did.
5. It meant I saw my dealer(s) more often, meaning they usually were quicker when I got what I REALLY needed - opiates.
I feel you on almost all of those reasons. I find in my experience that eventually coke looses its luster and high.

When, that happens is different for everyone but for me it just stopped being fun. but it's as if my brain didn't believe it and I would trick myself into buying some more to give it a 7th chance, "maybe it will be good again" I told myself.

Needless to say it never was and now I'm officially done with that stuff. I mean everytime I do it now I have one finger on my pulse the whole time thinking I'll die from a heart attack.

Don't get me wrong when I used to do it, it was wonderful. But spending thousands of dollars for a short lived albeit stressful high just seems absurd.

^^^I totally feel you on wanting to keep trying the next batch. I liked speedballs quite a bit, but after awhile it would take so much coke to even taste it in the back of my throat, and the quality only improved. Glad those days are over/

^^^I totally feel you on wanting to keep trying the next batch. I liked speedballs quite a bit, but after awhile it would take so much coke to even taste it in the back of my throat, and the quality only improved. Glad those days are over/

Amen. :)

Why didn't you lie down in the middle of the field man? Or at least if you felt you needed to go somewhere, try and hide your backpack and then get it on the way back. Somehow Continuing to carry your heavy backpack while you thought you were dying makes it sound as though you valued your backpack more than your life.

I have had similar experiences with cocaine. Like you, only time I was into it was when I was severely addicted to heroin. Also, like you I would crave insanely while I was doing it but the next day I really wouldn't care about it anymore as long as I had opiates. Unlike you though, I DID enjoy it. Some of the greatest rushes of my life have been from smoking crack. Nothing else compares to a solid hit of high quality crack in my opinion, in terms of pure pleasure and exhilaration. Too bad its all down hill from there. I always found the come down intolerable and I could never understand long term non opiate using crackheads for that reason. How the hell do they put up with it? I would only smoke crack when I had lots of heroin to come down with, otherwise I would always end up in total hell, often trying to smoke more crack even when it was making me feel ill and I didnt want it, just to put off coming down a little longer.

Now that I am off heroin I never smoke crack. After four months of heavy use it lost its luster for me. Last few times I did it, it just wasn't the same. But if I ever do crave some, I just remind myself what the come down is like without opiates and my cravings go away.

Oh but if you want to know about when I nearly died, I had just taken an enormous hit of crack and my dealer called to say she was outside. I started to go up the stairs to get outside and halfway up the stairs my heart went crazy, I got severe chest pain and shortness of breath, heart out of control and basically was sure I was having a heart attack. I lay down immeditaly and began praying to God to spare my life. After about 10 minutes, I felt slightly better and actually went out to my pissed off impatient dealer who was waiting for me (I told her I was in the shower, dont get why its ok for me to frequently wait one hour in a parking lot for her but she cant wait 10 minutes for me ONE time) to get the rest of my crack although I didn't smoke anymore until the next day.

God that sounds really awful! Glad your with us man! Good reminder that even when we think we know what we are doing there can variables that are hard to predict

Im sorry but this sounds like more of a panic attack than a "brush with death." This happens to people on stimulants all the time. This is why you should never do stimulants. Typical panic attack.

Cocaine today is not the stuff that people were doing back in the 80 s they cut it before it leaves the places they process it today and is cut with wh knows what up to 10 times before people buy there half grams ,,they destroyed the market ,,, its a mind drug,not like opiates , opiates you become pysically sick without them , Im also on methadone maintence 6 years now I hope there working on a way to get of methadone with out the withdrawls which last months .

Even though I have been sober for a while, and I also remember times that I shot cocaine and had to come down without benzos and opiates...I still crave it sometimes. It is like I will get a little taste in the back of my throat and I will romanticize the rush for a second...then I remember that the last bunch of times I did it, it really didn't do much.

Time I nearly died: I had bought a small bag of coke to go along with my ten bags of dope. I shot a speedball and the coke literally did nothing. So I had five bags of dope left, so I went back to my dealer and bought three bags of coke.

I waited till I was ready for another speedball and mixed up all eight bags. This was commonplace for me...I had done way more than this before. I shot it. Five or six seconds after I pushed the plunger down I knew something was wrong. It felt like the blood was boiling in my neck and my head was going to explode. My legs gave out, and my vision became so blurry that I could barely see the needle on the bathroom sink. I tried to grab it as I was falling. I thought it was the end, and I didn't want someone finding me with the needle laying there....I laid on the ground and shook. It may have been a seizure, but I was terrified, however not terrified enough to not do any more speedballs. I literally went out and did more the next day. I think the bag I got the first time was underpowered, and as doing speedballs it is hard to know which of the eight bags was the dose that could have killed me so I cannot count out having a bad bag of dope, or a strong bag of coke.

From personal experience with stimulant use bordering on a blatant disregard for personal safety, they will show early signs of giving out but Hell, who's gonna smoke that pipe otherwise? Then it can hurt - gurning is horrendous. Stim diet, also.

(Mod shout-out to Sadie
Wonder if she'll see this?

Love you. :p <3 )

Even though I have been sober for a while, and I also remember times that I shot cocaine and had to come down without benzos and opiates...I still crave it sometimes. It is like I will get a little taste in the back of my throat and I will romanticize the rush for a second...then I remember that the last bunch of times I did it, it really didn't do much.

Time I nearly died: I had bought a small bag of coke to go along with my ten bags of dope. I shot a speedball and the coke literally did nothing. So I had five bags of dope left, so I went back to my dealer and bought three bags of coke.

I waited till I was ready for another speedball and mixed up all eight bags. This was commonplace for me...I had done way more than this before. I shot it. Five or six seconds after I pushed the plunger down I knew something was wrong. It felt like the blood was boiling in my neck and my head was going to explode. My legs gave out, and my vision became so blurry that I could barely see the needle on the bathroom sink. I tried to grab it as I was falling. I thought it was the end, and I didn't want someone finding me with the needle laying there....I laid on the ground and shook. It may have been a seizure, but I was terrified, however not terrified enough to not do any more speedballs. I literally went out and did more the next day. I think the bag I got the first time was underpowered, and as doing speedballs it is hard to know which of the eight bags was the dose that could have killed me so I cannot count out having a bad bag of dope, or a strong bag of coke.

The things we do for that rush.. 8)

fuck you there is no need for this asswipe. only people who'd care if you died are your parents

^Ah fuck it, I'll bite.........so what's up with you purextc2? How did you go after swallowing your drug laced hospital dinner? Did the opiate clash with the cumin or did it balance out the meal? You're fishing and I've taken the bait, you've only hooked me through the lip so it could be a tough one to land.

^Ah fuck it, I'll bite.........so what's up with you purextc2? How did you go after swallowing your drug laced hospital dinner? Did the opiate clash with the cumin or did it balance out the meal? You're fishing and I've taken the bait, you've only hooked me through the lip so it could be a tough one to land.

fuck you on about?