Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushie hunting season (Sydney)

UniStoner

Bluelighter
Anyone seen any promising specimens around yet? It rained yesterday so I'm going to have a hunt around waverly oval today. Will let you know if I find anything!

a month of good rain?

if they aren't popping up after the recent rainfall, it's got nothing to do with lack of rain, in my opinion. i'd say it has more to do with temperatures. sub's require cold (sub 10C) temps to fruit, generally.

Well, had a few rainy days, nice sunny one today. There might be some around in the morning. If it has been cold enough that is.

I found this cool shroom site in australia the other day but can't find it again, Anyone know its addy?

It was basicly a site regarding all natural highs and growing.

Last edited:
^^^ Sounds like you talking about a site that I cannot say because that site is also a source too. :(

jimbu said:
a month of good rain?

if they aren't popping up after the recent rainfall, it's got nothing to do with lack of rain, in my opinion. i'd say it has more to do with temperatures. sub's require cold (sub 10C) temps to fruit, generally.

I've gotten subs to pop up in Melbourne during the middle of summer through regular watering, mind you it was only three ittey-bittey mushrooms that wouldn't be any good to anyone... Back in my younger days I tried transplanting a mat of mycelium to a pot so I could cultivate it in my yard, it wasn't overly successful 8)

I went hunting the other day and found these.
[Please click here for image]

I did a spore print on some paper towel and it was brown.

and I also found these funky looking things..

What is that blue stuff? If it's psycillin, (or however you spell it) you would be rageing on these babys.

Anyone care to having a go at ID'ing these?

[Edit: Please follow the posting guidelines. BigTrancer]
[Edit 2:
size]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics but resize them, or people on 56k would't be able to see them

I don't know what species they are, but the ones pictured in the second image I have found them quite common, growing in similar areas when looking for psilocybin mushrooms. They arn't what you want.

Uhhh... that one on the bottom does not contain "magic".

It's a kind of puffball that will make you rather sick if you eat it.

We have those here in Northeast USA as well... they're narsty!

I don't know about the other ones...

streetsurfer -

the first photos - not sure what they are... definitely not magic, and possibly poisonous. don't eat.

the last photo is a puffball, some of these are edible, some aren't... none are magic. so don't eat those either.

and by the looks of it you're looking in the wrong areas. if you're going to go hunting for psilocybe's, please do some research... i'm assuming you're from sydney, we're just coming into the p. subaeruginosa season. these are woodlovers - most common in woodchipped mulchy garden areas, so you're looking in the wrong spots by the looks of it (grass). we probably won't be seeing any for at least a few more weeks, i dont think its cold enough yet. these bruise an OBVIOUS deep blue, not many mushrooms bruise blue, but don't assume that any blue bruising mushroom you find will be magic... some blue bruising boletes are poisonous. if in doubt post some photos up here (or the shroomery is even better for IDs), like you've just done :)

Like jimbu said - don't eat them streetsurfer. And please resize the photos, they're irritating at 1280x1024, I can't imagine how they are for people on 800x600.

:)

Thanx guys, didn't think they were the real deal but thought I would ask anywaz. Sorry about the pics, I am pretty useless with computers, how do you resize them?

Yo its pretty easy to tell a Boletus mushroom from a psychoactive shroom.

For example, they don't have normal gills... it looks more like a sponge underneath the cap.

If all you Aussies have to worry about confusing shrooms is Boletes you guys have it easy!

we're still pulling 30 degree days in april, looks like a real late season this year damn it

bluedolphin said:
Yo its pretty easy to tell a Boletus mushroom from a psychoactive shroom.

For example, they don't have normal gills... it looks more like a sponge underneath the cap.

If all you Aussies have to worry about confusing shrooms is Boletes you guys have it easy!

there are GILLED boletes - Phylloporus rhodoxanthus ... and some(?) of these have the same blueing reaction associated with some non-gilled boletes.

i've come across several blue bruising gilled boletes before, of which several people on the shroomery (mjshroomer even i think) identified as p. subaeruginosa. i don't think this type of bolete is poisonous (but im not 100% sure), either way, don't eat it and make sure you are 100% confident of an ID before consuming anything.

and there are also several poisonous/deadly mushrooms which grow along side p.sub's which we have to worry about - galerina's (deadly) and stropharia aurantica (make u poop lots).

Im new to mushies...

and as i got out of my car today (Saturday) i noticed some growing outside...

they looked a bit like a 4 leaf clover... what am i looking for underneath them...

thanx for any help !!!

look at erowid for pictures of psychoactive mushrooms and make sure its the RIGHT one, dont wanna eat something and be disgustingly sick for a long long time

I've noticed in the mixmag that the poms can now buy mushy starter kits legally .. What are the chances of successfully growing your own after an initial harvest ie a mushy 'hydro" set up in ones basement?

Last edited by a moderator: