• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Muscimol

I read just last week in a study about the genetic differences between Amanitas of different origin that those are actually not the same (same look, significant genetic difference though!). Therefore, different tripreports from northern America vs. Europe don't surprise me. (thx heaven that I'm in Europe ;) )

Limpet_Chicken said:
Luxetveritas, I don't suppose you have ever tried THIP or isoguavacine? the pharm companies were going to bring THIP out under the name of gaboxadol, a muscimol analog.

I would be really interested to taste and compare some direct agonists at GABAa, but those are the only two I know of, almost everything available seems to be along the lines of allosteric agonists, very few seem to bind to the GABA binding site.

no i have not and offhand forget estimated correlative potencies to MUS if you can refresh though i believe Isoguvacine is about 1/35 the potency of MUS and also note THIP is a subtype selective agonist with preference for {delta}-subunit GABAA receptor and appears as such more simply hypnotic in effect

have you ever heard any reports on Isoguvacine?

No, I just came accross it, haven't got hold of any yet, but I plan to as soon as I move house and live on more than 15 quid a week.

Until then, its a diet of amanitas and rx downers as far as GABAergics go, not that most conventional ones sedate me much at all.

I wonder what(if possible to)acetylating the hydroxyl on muscimol might do to it's effects? Probably too expensive to be worth trying, but if it could enhance the potency then I think it would definatly be worth while.

could someone please tell me what 3H means. Dosn't muscimol have a hydroxy group in the 3 position anyway?

If you mean [3]-muscimol:
The [3]H is a tritium, that is one of the 3 isotopes of hydrogen. Tritium is radioactive and the [3H]-isomer is used for affinity-studies with GABAergic receptors (same binding site like GABA).
The idea is to label all GABA-receptors with [3H]-muscimol, then add your compound that you'd like to study and measure radioactivity before and after adding your compound. If the compound acts as competitive ligand at the same site like [3H]m, you will see loss of radioactivity in the sample. By trying different concentrations, one can calculate the affinity of your compound to the GABAA-receptor site.

Murphy

Tritium releases an electron antineutrino and an electron (a 'beta particle')- or, to be pedantic, it emits a W- boson which becomes an electron antineutrino and an electron.

Besides the particles that go shooting by, the daughter atom remains- Helium 3. Am I right in thinking that when this happens the molecule it's a part of breaks apart as well?

Where in the molecule is tritium usually placed? Not in the ring, right?

Now, when you're doing the study (not sure how it's done exactly) you're watching for the electrons to go shooting by (I'm pretty sure they're not watching neutrinos!). I assume that the molecule 'breaks' when that atom breaks down.

Don't wanna go too far offtopic, so in short:
Tritium-labels are usually NOT placed at interchangeable positions (acidic or basic functions, hydrogens involved in tautomerism), as they would be lost upon contact with water (and tritiated water is not quite healthy!!!).
It's one of the 2 methylene-hydrogens that gets substituted for tritium (that has probably synthetical reasons).

Murphy

Last edited:
Hmm. Good question... it decays into [3]He, so the carbon it was attached to will now be missing a hydrogen... so it becomes a radical I suppose, and latches on to the next hydrogen/other it finds around... that COULD mean it would sever but not necessarily so.

Yo, agree with MattPsy: Bond breakage is possible but not necessarily. As radicals are highly reactive, polymerization is a possibility, also quenching with water maybe...

Anyone know if Muscimol would be active to vaporize, sniff, plug or inject and whether this would cause a quicker stronger trip?

Re: Xaratoostrah. Yeah you're probably right on the money in regards to amanitas having an MSG flavour. Ibotenic acid hits all (or most) of receptors that are probably responsible for the MSG/umami effect; NMDA, mGluR1 (never been tested on the amino acid receptors).

And yes, muscimol is selectively GABAergic.

well i won;t be replacing my soy sauce for amanita extract anytime soon as a sushi condiment ...damn now my addiction for THAT is manifesting cravings =D ;)

You are making me want to go on a chicken+mushroom pot noodle binge now Lux, dammit I'm so glad my metabolism won't let me get so much as plump, or I would be soon requiring a reinforced chair to plonk my arse in front of the computer:D

The other day my wife and I were waiting at the local Fortune Cookie and I picked up the soy sauce and was looking at it. then i decided to shake the bottle.

bad idea, those 'lids' aren't really lids, and soy sauce stains.

Tritium releases an electron antineutrino and an electron (a 'beta particle')- or, to be pedantic, it emits a W- boson which becomes an electron antineutrino and an electron.

Besides the particles that go shooting by, the daughter atom remains- Helium 3. Am I right in thinking that when this happens the molecule it's a part of breaks apart as well?

Where in the molecule is tritium usually placed? Not in the ring, right?

Now, when you're doing the study (not sure how it's done exactly) you're watching for the electrons to go shooting by (I'm pretty sure they're not watching neutrinos!). I assume that the molecule 'breaks' when that atom breaks down.

You are desrcibing fusion here???? Yes Tritium which is a hydrogen atom has three nuetrons and the one normal proton and electron and it does decay but not into 3He!!!

Before you decide to say stupid things, why not take 30 seconds to figure out that you're wrong?

Here, I'll save you the thirty seconds:
http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/tritium.htm

to paraphrase thumper, if you don't have anything smart to say, don't say anything at all.

Last edited: