• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Muscimol

wungchow

Bluelighter
170px-Muscimol-lg.png

A friend of mine obtained a small quantity (50 milligrams) of muscimol hydrobromide from the research lab he works at. We're going to try some tomorrow night, splitting it into two 25 mg doses, taken orally.

What should I expect? I'm thinking it will be like a high dose ambien trip.

I think 10-15mg is the right dose. Fly mushrooms do not sound like an ambien trip. Be prepared.

Muscimol is not like a zopiclone trip. IME it's more like a cross between a cannabis and ketamine trip, subjective effect-wise, with depressant characteristics too.
A 20-25mg dose sounds okay to me, the hydrobromide ion is pretty heavy.

Uh yeahhhh!! And plz report back about the trip. That would be very much of my interest.

Don't know in what kinda research lab your friend works but plz check before if your compound isn't [3H]-muscimol ;) That wouldn't be all good...

10-20mg is standard for FB

EFFECTS OF IBOTENIC ACID AND MUSCIMOL

Ibotenic acid evokes entheogenic effects in human beings at doses ranging from 50 - 100 mg (Chilton 1975; Theobald et al. 1968). An equivalent effect is produced by 10-15 mg of muscimol (Theobald et al. 1968; Waser 1967). After oral ingestion, the onset of the inebriation is rather slow, and generally 2-3 hours elapse before the full effects are felt (Chilton 1975). This delayed response has also been reported following ingestion of Amanita pantherina (Ott 1976a). The effects last for 6-8 hours, depending on dose. Effects are characterized by visual distortions, loss of equilibrium, mild muscle twitching (not convulsions, as has erroneously been reported), and altered auditory and visual perception (Chilton 1975; Ott 1976a).

Last edited:
MattPsy said:
Muscimol is not like a zopiclone trip. IME it's more like a cross between a cannabis and ketamine trip, subjective effect-wise, with depressant characteristics too.
A 20-25mg dose sounds okay to me, the hydrobromide ion is pretty heavy.

sounds like a very nice trip...this is from personal experience?

done a few times assumably oral ingestion at above doses?

any others you know personal experiment likewise if so..?

It seems to be a potent sedative also, in the form of A.Muscaria, I brewed up some tea from an unweighed dry amount (going on quantity of fresh mushrooms), and after about half an hour of re-reading Shugin's isoquinoline book, I was spark out, couldn't keep my eyes open, I don't know if I would have been tripping if I had stayed awake, but I had some seriously vivid and crazy dreams.

Done just once, oral, yes. It's an interesting trip yeah, i'm not sure it's as recreational as a serotonergic psychedelic though... still, I thought it was pretty worthwhile. Interesting sensation, it's like you dream the whole thing, kinda the way a lucid dream feels. I don't think I know anyone else personally who have tried it.

I've read reports that most people don't remember a lot of muscimol-trips, so it's not really worthwhile.
Then again, I read the comments from MattPsy and the others, and one seems indeed to remember enough. Comments?!

@Limpet: I'm quite convinced that pure muscimol and Amanita muscaria feel significantly different. But I can't speak out of own experience here, sorry...

wungchow said:
170px-Muscimol-lg.png

A friend of mine obtained a small quantity (50 milligrams) of muscimol hydrobromide from the research lab he works at. We're going to try some tomorrow night, splitting it into two 25 mg doses, taken orally.

What should I expect? I'm thinking it will be like a high dose ambien trip.

so how'd it go?

Wow...i actually really enjoyed the muscimol experience.

It felt like being drunk on alcohol but with lots of trippy "bleeding" visuals...vibrant colors that seemed to smush and drip, especially in the edge of the visual field...definitely not like mushroom or lsd visuals.

Definite euphoria too, but after the first couple hours I was incredibly sedated and just wanted to sit on the couch....

Have you ever tasted Amanita muscaria-mushrooms and be able to compare the experiences?!

^never tried whole amanitas, unfortunately. the mushrooms just look too evil to put in my mouth.

LOL! Amanitas look evil too you but you'd taste muscimol? Sounds strange to me, but that's just me. (Btw, Amanitas look very inviting IMHO).

(Btw, Amanitas look very inviting IMHO)

Let me second that,commenting on the taste also -the actual taste that is- which can be "chicken soupish",yummy in a "monosodium glutamate" kind of way. No wonder on the latter...Maybe exciting same receptors/same family receptors on the tongue? Wouldnt surprise me.

As far as the mushroom constituent go,and the deriving experience, i keep hearing that there are BIG regional variations, hence more or less the "avoid muscaria/ muscaria is shit" many people state in many forums and goes virally around. While American/North American speciments are generally described as more "body oriented" to the brink of "torment" (excessive salivation,lots of nausea,who turned the lights out knockout type of effect) i keep hearing of more euphoric,pleasantly dissasosiative experiences from European counterparts.

Local wisdom here (Meditteranean country) describes them as euphoric, of course with "body component" but less of a "hell" than most online reports present them to be.

Interestingly enough Ott reports presence of carbolines in some muscarias, although the info is VERY old and i kind of...question their validity.

Personally i have no experience i can contribute.

Is the concensus that their effects are PURELY gabaergic?

Edit:

Quoting the Ott comment :

A potentially psychoactive beta-carboline compound, methyltetrahydrocarboline carboxylic acid (MCTHC; I-methyl-3-carboxyl-tetrahydro-B-carboline has been isolated in low levels from European A. muscaria (Matsumoto et al. 1963). This compound is of unknown pharmacology, however, and Chilton and I were unable to detect this substance in North American A. muscaria (Chilton & Ott 1976)

I am unable to find the Matsumoto refference. The only mention of carbolines in pubmed literature if one searches with "muscaria carboline" ,is refferences of analysis of japanese "research chemical" market products touted to be "amanita muscaria extracts". Given what they find in them, i suspect they were not what their sellers claimed them to be (some rather impropable findings in them for amanita muscaria to produce!)

Also, any opinions on the presence of two other compounds of Amanita (stizolobic-stizolobinic acid)? I dont know if they exist in muscaria but they do in pantherina :

Two other compounds of obscure pharmacology, stizolobic acid and stizolobinic acid (also found in edible seeds of Stizolobium [Mucuna] species), have been isolated in good yield from Amanita pantherina (Chilton et al. 1974; Chilton & Ott 1976; Saito & Komamine 1978; Ott, unpublished laboratory data). These compounds have been proposed to be feeding deterrents in insects Janzen 1973), and were found to have such activity against Spodoptera but not a Cdllosobruchus species (Fellows 1984).

Last edited:
wungchow said:
Wow...i actually really enjoyed the muscimol experience.

It felt like being drunk on alcohol but with lots of trippy "bleeding" visuals...vibrant colors that seemed to smush and drip, especially in the edge of the visual field...definitely not like mushroom or lsd visuals.

Definite euphoria too, but after the first couple hours I was incredibly sedated and just wanted to sit on the couch....

pretty damn cool sounding...thanks for the update :)

Xaratoostrah said:
Is the concensus that their effects are PURELY gabaergic?

:

note what most are used to a GABAergic is NOT pure agonism so that is not qualitatively relevant to what most thnk of as GABAergic

and indeed it appears to have a very unique experience that is not classically what is considered in the GABAergic range

Ott seems to get alot of positive effects off alot of things that aren't really that positive to most people so I don't really trust his judgment. Does muscimol have some mild excitotoxic effects? Obviuosly not nearly as much as ibotenic acid but I heard that it might be resposible for some of the trippy effects but I think thats bullshit personally.

Luxetveritas, I don't suppose you have ever tried THIP or isoguavacine? the pharm companies were going to bring THIP out under the name of gaboxadol, a muscimol analog.

I would be really interested to taste and compare some direct agonists at GABAa, but those are the only two I know of, almost everything available seems to be along the lines of allosteric agonists, very few seem to bind to the GABA binding site.