Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Mr. Show

continuousbeing are you secretly my long lost identical twin? I swear you like all the same things I do.

It's time I told you the truth. I'm actually you, from the future. Here with an urgent warning. Alas, I have forgotten what the warning was, so I'm just here enjoying the sights.

:D

Yes, but I'm cheap and torrenting such material, of course, is illegal.

...And I hate YouTube with a fiery passion :!.

you don't want to illegally download, and you don't want to buy it, but you are against the best free source around? you sir are confusing me with your antics

yeah, i've been meaning to revisit and check out the commentaries. seeing bob in breaking bad reminds me how much i miss this show.

Choo Choo the herky jerky dancer.
Champion, the drinker.

The lost episode is the best one, its like they were so aware they were gonna be a classic cult hit.

How it started out with the banana and ended with the monkeys in space going crazy over the banana, genius .

link: Game Theory in Mr. Show

Game Theory in Mr. Show

Not everyone will find it funny. And some bits just didn’t land. But at its best, the sketches on Mr. Show were pure comic gold.

Mr. Show was a highly satirical and often vulgar sketch comedy show that aired on HBO from 1995 to 1998. It was created by and starred Bob Odenkirk and David Cross, who are now better known for more current shows: Odenkirk as Saul Goodman on Breaking Bad and Cross as Tobias Funke on Arrested Development.

The quirky, irreverent, and over-the top comedy is what made Mr. Show so great. Some of the sketches also are textbook illustrations of concepts from game theory. Arguably this is coincidence, as Odenkirk and Cross probably did not consciously design sketches for use in economics classrooms.

But perhaps the game theory is not so coincidental. There is arguably a reason for why edgy comedic sketches end up being good case studies for game theory. The connection is this: game theory is all about considering situations with a given set of players, rules, and payoffs. Good comedy is about pushing the borders of those constraints, with the players being crazy and colorful characters, the rules being concocted and cleverly satirical constraints, and the payoffs being the unexpected, dark, and surprise twists that deliver the comedic payoff.

Some sketches never make it on-screen, which is the subject of Odenkirk’s and Cross’s new book. Below are the sketches that did make it on air in Mr. Show and contain themes from game theory.

Video: Mr. Show Change for a Dollar

Game theory concepts: Principal-agent problem, corporate organization charts, top-down hierarchy, corporate culture

Setup: Someone walks into a convenience store and requests change for a dollar. The inept employee ponders the decision and concludes this is way too difficult of a decision for him. He decides he should ask his boss. Consider the equilibrium if everyone transferred responsibility.
alasdair

used to love it, but it has aged poorly. don't like the obnoxious audience. they almost outlaugh each other trying to prove who gets it more.

it was a good show.