Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 2 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, the less said about my views on X3 the better. To sum up, no matter what it is like as a film, i will despise it for what it represents for film-making. It's pure corporate heartless money-grabbing, at the expense of actually trying to make something GOOD.

My views may be somewhat negated by this coming review, though...

D.E.B.S.
The cover features four young women, in japanese-inspired schoolgirl outfits (VERY short skirts) and holding guns. One of them has a speech bubble asking "do these guns make us look fat?". Pure class. I was expecting a terrible exhibition-style movie, similar to Closer. Instead, it turned out to be a really fun piss-take of the female spy/ college drama genres. Absolutely brilliant social viewing.

*oops, thanks preacha, i did indeed mean X3*

Last edited:
Just watched "Empire of the Sun" again. I hadn't seen it in so long, and watching it reminded me of just how much i love this movie. It stars a very young Christian Bale (think Patrick Bateman from American Psycho), John Malkovich, Ben Stiller and a pretty fucking stellar supporting cast.

Set in WWII, and directed by Steven Spielberg, it is based on the autobiography of JG Ballard. It tells the story of Jimmy Graham (Christian Bale) and how his life is turned upside down (he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth) when the Japanese occupied Shanghai. He is separated from his parents, eventually captured and taken to Soo Chow confinement camp. It's a wonderful tale of spirit, survival and finding friendship in very dark situations. A truly wonderful story.

As an aside, this movie showcases some of the best boy-soprano vocals i've ever heard. The scene where Jimmy is watching the kamikaze pilots complete the final rites before they take off. The pilots start singing and Jimmy salutes, and starts to sing "Suo Gan" (a Welsh lullaby). Oh, it gives me chills every time i've seen it. Incidentally, it wasn't Christian Bale singing it, it was another boy, James Rainbird.

:)

The only thing is, whenever John Malkovich appeared on the screen, i expected him to say "Malkovich Malkovich , Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich? Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich. Malkovich!" =D

i finally saw Cube

by now everyone has seen it since it came out in 1997, so i won't say anything other than the premise is a lot like Saw's, but the feeling of claustrophobia is an added bonus

cool film

kryalkastleE said:
Candy
Starring Geoffery Rush, Heath Ledger and Abby Cornish

i thought this was an absolutely amazing film.
it is an aussie made film, with a fairly low budget but the storyline had me glued to the screen for the whole film. About two junkies who love each other, love their heroin and love life, no matter what it is as long as they are with each other.
it ios so beautifully made, with all the dodgy surroundings and abby cornish is just absolutely wonderful in it. she really feels so realistic as candy and her character really spoke to me. heath ledger is also very good, his pompus attitude does shine through a little but he does really give off the junkie gritty feel. geoffery rush can never do wrong by me, i love him in all movies. he is fantastic as the wise older addict, who they go to for everything.
the final scenes of the films are just chilling, but all in all the best australian film ive seen in ages. It is just a real shame that stupid aussie films can only be released in cinema "europas" instead of mainstream because thjere isnt enough support for them. well the aussie dramas anyway.

I loved this movie but think I kind of spoiled it for myself by reading the book (by Luke Davies, who also co-wrote the screenplay) in the week prior. I still loved the film - it would just be impossible to depict the emotional depth of the novel with the limitations of a 'feature film'.
I think I might go back and see it again, or buy the DVD.

LSpace said:
Personally, the less said about my views on X2 the better. To sum up, no matter what it is like as a film, i will despise it for what it represents for film-making. It's pure corporate heartless money-grabbing, at the expense of actually trying to make something GOOD.

x2 or x3? x2 is actually the closest to the comic books feeling wise, despite x3 having the 'mutant cure' plot from the initial story of Astonishing X-Men (Whedon's run, not the Age Of Apocalypse run) and the Dark Phoenix saga.

overall, x2 was the best x-men movie to be released

xmen3 or the current one was awesome!!,

I watched the cartoons on tv befor school every morning.Anyway it was cool even though the story line to the comic and odd things that dont match up.Like jugernut isnt a "mutant" and so forth.would have been way better if they kept the comic plot and concepts.. but then the general public wouldnt know wtf's going on.

besides that they changed it around and im slightly biased, It was an excellent watch. :) , and would watch it again.Go see it if you havnt =D

Finally saw kiss kiss bAng bang the other day, I shouldn't have avoided it for so long. Fantastic! (<- that's the review, I'm lazy).

It definitely made me a lot more enamored of Robert Downey than I previously was, great acting.

I burnt it so now I can watch it whenever I want. Screw you hollywood!

saw Walk The Line

it's weird, my parents were heavily into country but hated johnny cash. before seeing this movie, i still liked johnny cash. but after watching it, i can safely conclude my parents are fucking morons

and reese witherspoon's singing is damn good. she'll never move past Cruel Intentions in my book, but she deserved the oscar she got for her part

he cooked a damn fine chilli con carne ... dont really care for his music though

^Pipit^ said:
I loved this movie but think I kind of spoiled it for myself by reading the book (by Luke Davies, who also co-wrote the screenplay) in the week prior. I still loved the film - it would just be impossible to depict the emotional depth of the novel with the limitations of a 'feature film'.
I think I might go back and see it again, or buy the DVD.

I've been really wanting to see this film, but haven't had a chance.. I got impatient and ordered the book in the meantime from Angus & Robertson online. Almost finished it in 3 nights - absolutely gripping. Now I'm scared the film won't live up to it. I think I did it arse-about.

I watched one of my favourite movies Summer of Sam again last night. One of the things I like most about it is that although there is a story about a serial killer (son of sam - a real serial killer) going on, that kind of takes a backseat, and in a way acts as a backdrop, to the major story which is essentially just about small town mentalities in the big city. New York city, and the summer described in the film also act as a great backdrop to the story.

Of course another cool thing about the movie is the whole punk thing it has going on (CBGBs is in it!). Adrien Brody is shaping up to be one of my favourite actors, he's pretty good.

Superman Returns - a fun movie, awesome special effects, good casting, ok story-line.... a little disappointing overall. 7.5/10

I stumbled across this http://www.liquidcrystalvision.comin JB today.
Havent had a chance to watch it right through yet.
But it looks awesome from what I've glimpsed at so far, Purposely havent watched it fully yet, because I want to be able to just focus on the movie alone when I do. But yeh, top shelf for the dvd collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.