• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

More about Memantine

crOOk

Bluelighter
I realize there are two threads about Memantine already, but one of them is 90% OT conversation and the other one is more like an experience report/warning.
Her is some more info:
Source: The Entheogen Review, Volume XII, Number 4, Winter Solstice 2003

Memantine hydrochloride is chemically related to the anti-influenza drug amantadine hydrochloride (brand name SYMMETREL®). It has been marketed (under the brand name AXURA®) in Germany since 1989 to treat “dementia syndrome” and Parkinson’s disease, as well as to speed the recovery of comatose patients. It has also been suggested as a treatment for neuropathic pain due to diabetic neuropathy, Huntington’s disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, and AIDS dementia. In the U.S., memantine (under the brand name NAMENDA®) was approved for use on October 17, 2003. It has been shown to reverse existing tolerance to morphine in mice (POPIK et al. 2000), and it has been speculated that N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonists (such as memantine) may be useful in the treatment of alcohol and substance abuse disorders (BISAGA et al. 2000). It has been cautioned that there may be adverse interactions between memantine and MAOI or antidepressant drugs.

According to the site www.memantine.com:
Memantine is used to treat Alzheimer’s disease, and it may be useful in treating mild to moderate cases of vascular dementia. Memantine is the first representative of a new class of Alzheimer’s drugs—a moderate affinity NMDA-receptor antagonist. It has been touted as improving cognitive and psychomotor functioning, providing benefits in the activities of daily living, reducing the dependance on outside care, and is said to have a good tolerability. It is also believe to have neuroprotective effects (by preventing the influx of calcium due to blocking the NMDA receptor in the presence of sustained release of low glutamate concentrations) at the dosages used in treating Alzheimer’s disease (which could slow the progression of the disease). The maximum daily amount recommended to treat Alzheimer’s is 20 mg. Reported side effects more frequent than with placebo (listed second) were: hallucinations (2.0 vs. 0.7%), confusion (1.3 vs. 0.3%), dizziness (1.7 vs. 1.0%), headache (1.7 vs. 1.4%), and tiredness (1.0 vs. 0.3%). [Interestingly, the FDA’s press release at www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00961.html provides higher incidences of adverse reactions, listing dizziness at 7%, headache at 6%, and—not noted above—constipation at 6%.] — EDS.

MEMANTINE HYDROCHLORIDE: A FEW WORDS OF CAUTION

In the interest of harm reduction, I feel compelled to write this report. I have determined that memantine is indeed a psychoactive substance. I have also discovered that there are some potential dangers involved when experimenting with this chemical. I would not want anyone else to unintentionally induce the undesirable effects of taking multiple doses of this drug. There are some potentially serious complications that could occur when experimenting with high doses of memantine. This is how it has since been explained to me by a more knowledgable soul than I:

The problem with memantine is its slow absorption and excretion. It is largely not metabolized, 57–82% is slowly excreted with urine. In clinical applications there is a large accumulation of memantine with only one dose per day. If you are taking a large dose it will take some time until it hits you, and the effect is prolonged, because it remains in the body for a very long time (the half-life is 60 to 80 hours). Taking large doses daily is probably a bad idea.​
Needless to say I learned this lesson the hard way. Plain and simple, I am at 48+ hours and still feeling the compounded effects of multiple doses.

But for now, on to the good stuff...

I have found that 50–100 mg taken orally is an acceptable dose for a pleasant evening if you can wait one to three hours for the full effects to manifest. One of my first single-dose experiences was at this level, and I noticed very few lingering effects 24 hours later. This leads me to believe that single doses via oral administration may prove to be the best way to experience this substance.

On the other hand, 50–100 mg taken by intramuscular injection (50 mg per ml) provided me with a stinging, itchy, burning sensation in my flesh/muscle, which eventually gave way to a very pleasant, comfortable feeling in mind and body. For five to six hours, I noticed similarities to both ketamine and methylone. Reluctantly, but at the insistence of my tripping partner, I decided to attempt multiple dosing. My friend “C” and I have had incompatible schedules lately, which do not allow us the luxury of shared tripping time. Seeing as how we might not have the opportunity to explore this molecule together again for some time—but against my intuition and better judgement—we re-dosed four times over the course of the next seven or eight hours, at levels ranging from 50 to 100 mg taken by intramuscular injection.

This turned out to be a bad idea. “C” had obligations yesterday that she was unable to fulfill, due to lingering effects and her inability to drive a car. She was reluctantly able to perform some of her obligations today, although she re-dosed with much smaller amounts than I. On the other hand, I am still feeling pretty “warbled out” at 48+ hours, with pending obligations myself, later this evening.

While definite similarities were noted to low doses of ketamine, at no point did I ever experience anything that I would even remotely compare to a breakthrough ketamine experience. Other than the fact they are both NMDA-antagonists, similarities would be that they share the same type of body
signature, driving energy, and create an inability to sleep. I find that when a single oral dose of 50–100 mg is taken, memantine provides a very comfortable, desirable effect, that resonates nicely in my body and mind.

I would not recommend intramuscular injection of this chemical for two reasons. First, the vast majority of this substance commonly available is in a pre-packaged pill form that likely contains binders or other impurities which you would not want to inject into your body. Second, there is a definite stinging sensation present when injecting memantine intramuscularly.
It irritates the tissue at the injection point, leaving an itchy red bump, similar to a bee-sting, that eventually subsides over the course of a few hours, although the pain should be gone within 10–20 minutes.

Additionally, it does not seem that this chemical is readily soluble in water. I was able to mix 50 mg of memantine hydrochloride into 1 ml of distilled water only after applying light heat to increase solubility. If one does not mind waiting
a few hours for the effects to be felt, and due to the pain involved with intramuscular injection, I believe oral administration would be the preferred method at 50–100 mg. I’d also like to add that I tried insufflating a 10 mg line at one point during one of my original experiments. I only managed to snort about 5 mg before I realized it burned. A lot. I thoroughly regretted even attempting such a thing. It was very uncomfortable, to say the least.

It is now 66+ hours, and “C” and myself are both still feeling pretty warbly, although improving. Multiple doses are definitely not recommended unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands. The overall experience from a single administration could be considered rather subtle by some standards,
and one might feel compelled to take multiple doses. Beware of the possible consequences if you choose to do so. And the experience, although highly enjoyable, doesn’t really break into uncharted territory. So is the ride worth the ticket price? The jury is still out on that one.

It has come to my attention that one may be able to clear his or her body of memantine faster, by acidifying one’s urine. Apparently, drinking cranberry juice can aid in this process.

Here is what I have been told by someone more knowledgable than I:
This is how you can get the memantine out of your system
quickly. Try to acidify your urine. That way, memantine is eliminated 7–10 times faster. There are over-the-counter medications available to acidify the urine too; for example, pills containing methionine, which is used to prevent bladder infections.​
Note by Xerolad:
"Methionine is ineffective for urine acidification" should read: "Methenamine is ineffective for urine acidification"

I have just awoken at 90+ hours, and I think I’m finally pretty much back to baseline. I feel it is inevitable that someone else is going to attempt experiments with this compound in the future, due to the fact that its potential recreational value has begun to be discussed on the Internet, coupled with the
fact that it has recently been approved as a prescription medication by governments worldwide. It would be a real shame for someone to experiment with multiple and/or high doses of this chemical, without realizing the potential dangers involved. For example, if it was crucial that one should drive a car or perform other obligations 24–72 hours into the experience, I would not want anyone else to be unknowingly forced into such a situation.

Let this also be a lesson to other intrepid psychonauts who attempt experiments with high doses of relatively unresearched substances. I have definitely learned my lesson. It may be possible for some people to reasonably predict the actions of unknown chemicals with a bit of foresight, but the ability to do this is unfortunately not one that I possess. I feel pretty irresponsible at this point in time. Although I dedicated a lot of time to researching the properties of this drug before I consumed it, I was unable to foresee this unexpected turn of events. I sincerely hope this report helps someone else avoid a potentially hazardous situation in the future, and I share this information only because I feel it is inevitable that it will soon be noticed that memantine has potential recreational value. Peace. Go Vegan. — Lazyvegan
Source: The Entheogen Review, Volume XIII, Number 1, Vernal Equinox 2004

MORE ON MEMANTINE HYDROCHLORIDE

With consideration of the words of caution about memantine hydrochloride, presented in the Winter 2003 issue of The Entheogen Review, I want to provide some further information. If memantine is used at the suggested amounts of up to 20 mg per day, it acts like small dose of amphetamine: it enhances vigilance, it is slightly euphoric, and it helps focus one’s concentration. Memantine definitely does not help you to relax. If you take more than the 20 mg per day, it feels as though there is some deep vibration within the body, and insomnia is a result. Future use of memantine will probably be as a replacement for amphetamine or caffeine.

The fastest-acting version available is the liquid preparation, sold in bulk to hospitals at horribly high prices. A prescription is required to obtain this. In liquid form, memantine seems to absorb relatively quickly through the mucous membrane; it tastes bitter and creates a strong cooling sensation on the tongue and within the throat, which takes some getting used to. How long it is in contact with the mucous membranes seems important with regard to its speed of action: the longer one keeps it in one’s mouth, the faster it acts. However, the resulting total effect will be the same if it is swallowed directly—it just takes longer to get there.

If it is not possible to get the liquid version and one still wants to achieve delivery via the mucous membrane, this is not a problem, as the pills dissolve very fast when held in the mouth.

Memantine seems to lower tolerance to substances other than morphine. I found this to occur when I took Psilocybe cubensis, resulting in a valuable overdose. (I had wanted a nice museum-level dosage with no visuals and enhanced thinking abilities; instead, I got some subtle visuals and way too much going on in my mind, using about a quarter of the
mushroom dose that I would have normally needed). I used 10–15 mg of memantine once daily, over the course of four days, so it was about 70 mg memantine in total. Also caffeine seems more potent than usual, so it is more common to have side effects like nausea or cold sweating hands.

The suggested dosing approach is to start using 5 mg per day over the course of five days. After this it is suggested to use 10 mg per day as the regular dosage. Only those using it for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease should take up to 20 mg per day as this dose in healthy people will result in shakiness, insomnia, problems with fine motor coordination (such as is needed to assemble watches), and flashes of euphoria.

The article in the Winter 2003 issue of The Entheogen Review notes that memantine accumulates in the body when used regularly. If one uses memantine for a long period, it takes about one week until it stops acting. So if someone needs to stop using memantine—because limited doses are left and a new supply is not available—it will keep working with a soft downscaling over the course of at least a week. I did not notice any major withdrawal-related problems following the two months that I took memantine. About two to four days after I quit taking it, there were some sensations on my skin at the legs from the knees down. It was as though my lower legs were hyper-sensitive to a light touch. If the skin was touched directly, this was fine. But if something close to them touched them lightly (like a pair of jeans), it felt like the soft burning of nettle. It was not really painful, but noticeable. Also the muscles in my calves felt as though they were going to cramp up, but they never actually did cramp. So it was noticeable when I stopped taking memantine, but not really problematic. (Since the price is so damn exorbitant, this is a good thing!) — E.B., Berlin, Germany

EVEN MORE ON MEMANTINE HYDROCHLORIDE

A strange coincidence occurred. Right about the time my housemate came home one day with a month’s sample supply of memantine hydrochloride, the Winter Solstice 2003 issue of The Entheogen Review arrived in my mailbox. I held the magazine in my lap, and voilà! It fell open to an article on this very compound. It seemed that the gods were conspiring to get me high.

Needless to say, being the devoted psychonaut that I am, I immediately set about coaxing a 100 mg dose out of my housemate. About an hour after taking it, I started to feel slightly altered. How exactly, is hard to describe—just that the world was starting to look somewhat different around the edges. More shimmery and colorful. The drug took about three hours to come on fully, and then—quite frankly—it left me wishing I wasn’t high. And it just went on, and on, and on.

It was very much like the ketamine experience except without any of the cosmic “ah ha!” moments. It had none of the spiritual or emotional insights that ketamine has. My body had that strange puffy feeling, like it was made of styrofoam, the visual environment had a fuzzy cast to it, and it was a little hard to walk or stand up without a wobble. I found myself in a somewhat morose and dissatisfied mood and didn’t know what to do with myself. This could be attributed to my mindset before the trip, but who can say for sure? This continued for a full eight hours, at which point I decided to put myself out of my misery and knock myself out with some benzodiazepines.

Would I try it again? Maybe. It struck my mind at the time that this compound could be made more interesting by combining it with something like MDMA, GHB, or both.

Don’t try combining this drug with ketamine, however (which is like committing some sort of pharmacological oxymoron in the first place). My housemate injected 1 ml of ketamine within 4 hours of having taken 90 mg of memantine hydrochloride, and she had a heretofore unparalleled response to the ketamine. She has built up a very high tolerance for ketamine, and can function normally if the situation calls for it on a dose of this size.

This time she reported to me that, shortly after the injection, she unwittingly exhibited some strange behaviors that were totally out-of-character for her, and then proceeded to completely leave her body. She said that she felt as though she was possessed. Afterwards she had very little memory of what had happened, but it involved a pest control man who had stopped by the house unannounced and the situation developed from there. NOT good. I won’t go into the details, but suffice it to say, don’t be tempted to try these two without supervision, unless you scale way down on your normal dose of ketamine. They appear to potentiate one another a great deal. I guess this could be attributed to the long half-life of memantine hydrochloride.

Happy trips! If you do decide to try this compound, I wish for you a better time than I had. Still, I think that it might warrant further investigation with some additives in the cocktail for spice. — C.H., CA

Last edited:
This drug sounds very interesting, especially since it is not scheduled. An NMDA antagonist and a stimulant sounds like a fun combo. I'm sure someone on the board has some experience. I would like to hear actual personal experiences before the "it has too low affinity for the...." and "well it might be fun if you like.....*insert negative comment here about some shitty drug*"

i'm still trying to figure this one out...

it has an unexplainable sensation to it around 80mg and up but i still can't say whether it's a good sensation or a bad sensation, yet i can't stop doing it over and over again and confusing myself yet further.

this very moment i'm waiting for onset...

very fickle, moody little tablet this one is. pure euphoria or utter hell, or spiraling outward to some other dimension not worth spiraling out into.

anyone have experience with this stuff yet? or is this now almost 2 year old thread still to be left unfilled with reponses?

this stuff is good. took 70 miligrams(pill form) of it about 4 hours ago and im having a blast. i open up socially, i become very active. you dont feel anything like acid or shrooms but your view on the world is changed. one time after sitting down for a while i walked out of my room and felt short in comparison to the world. crazy little things like that happen and they are all fun. you may act a bit crazy but its hellaaa fun. your vision is kinda different where everything looks kinda wobbly but thats it. some random, fun hallucinations appear but they mostly come out of my mind, im not actually seeing them. yeaaaa.....:D:D:D

also i second what valium said. im confused as hell. the world is like WTF? but i also took another 20 mg....

WARNING
I bought 2 weeks ago 40x15mg pills of Memantine (named Neuroplus, and fucking expensive) because I wanted to take something Ketamine-like.

I did a whole bottle of pure DXM (300mg) and something like 100mg of Memantine (obviously I can't remember well). While I felt some Ketamine deja-vu (like feeling you are 'outside' of your life/world) it wasn't very strong, BUT (and again, WARNING), the next day I couldn't remember anything, I couldn't read nor write in english, everything was mirrored, and I thought I was gonna kill myself.

Slowly, my life made a 360° degree change, and my memory began to work like a computer, I was (still I am) aware of everything, I was more social, more happy.
My tolerance to practically ALL drugs (opiates, benzos, amphetamines, etc.) went really down.

But that day (thank god it was a saturday) I think I won't forget ever.
I still wonder why, how, and what happened, WHAT IS Memantine and how is related to Ketamine.

You've experienced the wonderful antidepressant effect of NMDA-Antagonists. While not all nmda-antagonists do this, the dissociative ones I've tried all did. It's especially apparent when you haven't done any in a while and while I love to live my god fantasies on ketamine or the bizarre dream like scenarios of a knockout pcp dose, the main reason why I still do them every couple of months is the amazing afterglow, the neuronal reset effect. Quite dangerous on a regular basis imho, but definitely the sickest pharmaceutical out there to me (k), I'd love to try other substances with comparable effects, there are tons out there after all.

Doing muchrooms right when that afterglow hits you btw is fucking magical. A low dose is fine in this case, I'm usually not a fan of those at all.

Last edited:
Damn, I really need to get ahold of this stuff. It sounds like it would lower my tolerance to opana, which is about the most appealing thing I've ever heard. Right now I couldn't catch a nod even if I did 3-4 40s, it sucks so bad to like opiates so much but never being able to feel them. I need to find out how the hell to get ahold of these...

Damn, I really need to get ahold of this stuff. It sounds like it would lower my tolerance to opana, which is about the most appealing thing I've ever heard. Right now I couldn't catch a nod even if I did 3-4 40s, it sucks so bad to like opiates so much but never being able to feel them. I need to find out how the hell to get ahold of these...
You can easily get some DXM if there are over-the-counter products containing it where you live. I don't see Memantine working any better than Dextromethorphan, but that might be different for you of course. I'm payingless than €3,00 for 600mg capsules where I live. I've actually heard a heroin user recommend shooting up right after a high dxm dose (like half a gram is a proper dose if you don't have any tolerance) to guarantee an extremely intense nod and rushes of warmth throughout the body. Alternatively, ketamine and pcp are wonderful drugs for your purposes as well. If you can't get ahold of anything, try Gyokuru (japanese green tea grown in shade, expensive as hell if it's a genuine product), it's fucking amazing imho considering it's "just tea".

The problem with Mamentine it's the price. DXM it's cheap, Memantine it is NOT cheap.

Also, Memantine it's relatively a new drug, DXM it's not. Believe me, Memantine and these NMDA antagonist (DXM, Tramadol, etc.) changed my life, also did DXM, but tolerance did grow up.
With Memantine, tolerance goes down for every drug, it's incredible, and I can't believe this drug it's not more discussed in BL.
Also, Memantine it's the best drug to low tolerance to any stimulants (Amphetamines, Modafinil, Adderall, Cocaine, etc.).

I wouldn't necessarily attribute any antidepressant effects of this medication to its NMDA antagonism.. it sounds like it has classic neuropharmacological effects of very generalized acting anesthetics. So, it probably only exasperates effects of sigma receptor interaction at low doses. And this action, in turn supposedly induces dopamine release, i.e., perceived antidepressant effects. Although just a forewarning.. the function of the sigma receptors are still poorly understood, so i am just going on current knowledge of its neurological functionality.

Then in turn, (by reports of this drug's action) it seems to produce classical NMDA antagonism in higher dosages, which of course will numb any perception of sigma related neuro-activity.. there is a reason ketamine is the gold-standard in medical settings for anesthesia when an NMDA antagonist is needed (e.g., usually when a trauma patient is presented & his or hers condition is unknown, where typical sedatives/analgesics could potentially cause respiratory failure or damage)... because ketamine is very selective for NMDA.. & NMDA only.. blocking glutamate while not impacting vital signs & the cardiovascular system.

Anyway, I may plan on using this substance. I am on high doses of butalbital (a barbiturate- which is also a weak NMDA antagonist that primarily blocks glutamate binding--in addition to its typical GABA-a PAM action--but it does not interact with sigma receptor complex).. & i am trying to reduce, if not completely eliminate, my intake (over time of course) of butalbital, as I am on absurd doses- as high as 2000mg/day- but usually 1500mg-1750mg if my pain is in line, on top of 2400mg gabapentin per day (I can't take opioids, nor do i wish to due to past addiction/dependency issues w/ opioids, b/c i am on buprenorphine.. so i am regulated to GABAergics for my particular pain; which are useful, but withdrawal is a fucking BITCH!! 8( )

SO- anyone have any new experiences?

Last edited:
Sigma activity causes dopamine to be released? Are you sure about that? Can you point me to any articles? I've read a really thorough (and relatively recent) review on s1r's and can't recall anything like that.

i have post ssri anhedonia, concentration problems, memory problems and have been taking tianeptine for the past 3 months almost.
do you think memantine could help in my case?

110 mg oral feels good. The NMDA antagonism I'm sensing is comparable to about 250 mg DXM (oral) or 30 mg ketamine (IM) or 15 mg MXE (IR). Prior to this, I've used memantine at 50 mg, and 70 mg, both in combination with other drugs. With both of those earlier doses taken during the early afternoon the effects were worn off (subjectively) after I woke up the next day. I'm not experiencing any undesirable effects from its D2 agonism, and might be feeling a bit more stout than usual due to its 5HT3 antagonism. The only NMDA antagonists I've used in the past two and half weeks are memantine and one dose of 150 mg DXM (to see its effects with memantine [it had the predicted linear increase]). It's likely that I have a lingering tolerance to MXE that's playing a mitigating role in the intensity and duration of memantines' effects on me, though I don't think the tolerance is very strong. I'm curious as to whether 150 or 200 mg doses could cause proper dissociative effects to begin, but I don't want to risk spending (potentially) 48 hours in a "mant-hole" to find out. That said, at 110 mg I have a pleasant buzz and feel motivated to communicate. I've just added gabapentin and kratom to the mix and suspect I'm coming up on a warm, contented evening.

EDIT: I'll add that though it did take 2-3 hours to fully develop, first alerts from the 110 mg were felt within 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Things started to get down right trippy last night after I smoked some high grade cannabis (not much either). I had also used 1600mg gabapentin and 5 grams of maeng da kratom, but I think the kratom had mostly subsided when the trippy effects began. I was surprised to be getting fairly intense closed eye visuals. Perhaps they were attributable to the D2 agonism? I know D2 antagonists are used as antipsychotics but I wasn't having thoughts any crazier than is normal for the amount of disassociation I was feeling. This morning I still felt lingering dissociative effects, though they were greatly reduced (I'd say comparable to 100 mg DXM). It'll be awhile before I use memantine again, but next time I think I'll devote a whole day to it and take 160 mg early on a Saturday morning. The psychedelia I was experiencing was really intriguing, just unexpected. It felt funny having a goofy gabapentin buzz alongside it. I may also use some urinary tract infection medication to acidify my urine as that is supposed to help shorten the duration of memantine. It definitely seems like I could have a proper dissociative trip off it at 160 mg, perhaps with a little bump from MXE.

Hi guys! I was looking for an ADHD/amphetamine thread, im new here, and on my phone...something tells me im in the wrong place but if anyone can help me with my question thatd be awesome!

So my friend was persribed 10mg of amphetamine salts (little bright blue pills) and she never really took them so she said i could have some and try them out (Since I was diagnoised with mild ADHD) once i took them they were AWESOME i rememberhad thinking "EVERYONE IN THE WORLD SHOULD BE ON THIS" i had a lot of energy and felt as if instead of 500her thoughts going through my head at once there was only 1, and when it came to classes i could actually listen comprehend and remember everything the teacher said and id get the urge to write it down so id have amazing notes

I decided i ought to talk to my doctor about trying meds so (althought i left out having tried my friends..) he ended up perscribing me the same as my friends (i compared the bottle) both named amphetamine salts and 10mg and bright blue pills.

However...these pills have a completely different effect! They dont give me energy but make me really tired/sleepy? Also i feel like i zone out/stare out in to space on them

I assume my body doesnt need to "get use" to the aderall since i had been taking my friends for about 2 weeks

What could this mean? And what should i do? Because if i cant switch from the adderall i have perscribed to me now that turns me into a zombie than ill likely stop taking it but if i could find one to give me the same effect my friends had id be so happy!

Set and setting still applies to amphetamine, they're not magical cure all happy speed pills. Just like coffee, it can make people paradoxically sleepy in some situations. (This happens regardless of if you have AD(H)D..).

Try taking them when you're all set up to study, make sure you have a light meal in you, etc. If your body is out of energy in the first place, taking amphetamine won't do much good.

Fyi: there is a typo in the original post. Methionine is ineffective for urine acidification. Should read: Methenamine.