• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction Moderation

wudbutcher

Bluelighter
Risking a shit storm here, but what the hell. Have read countless posts/ thread turnovers with the question being how to use responsibly, how to determine if addicted, etc. I hear the key is moderation a lot.
Just wondering how many heavy users have been able to reel themselves back in with their DOC?
Referring only to the big 3 black, white, and crys, sorry weed warriors, please sit this one out.
Honesty please, this ain't a pissing contest.
G'day!

I like to think my use of crystal had become moderate: once per month for 2 days.

However, I’ve been through uncontrolled addictions to stimulants including coke several time. I believe it was doing rehab several times and really getting in touch with myself that made it possible to be much more moderate in my use. Plus my strong desire to never go near rock bottom again and having had the experience now being able to monitor myself and how far from stable I am becoming.

Reactions: CFC
i couldn't. i don't think moderation works for true addicts.

i was able to do what i thought was moderation, i.e. a daily smack habit while maintaining a normal life, but the habit was always increasing no matter what i did, and i couldn't stop. i once bought a big bit, i forget how much and my mate garnished it quite heavily, and weighed it out into daily amounts for 2 weeks, honestly believing i could stick to that. it was gone in less than a week.

crack once i was started i just couldn't control. i got a very big habit very fast and lost everything. i was aware i was (there is even a thread in TDS by me called something like 'about to lose job and home') but nothing i could do could stop it.

I find moderation a struggle. Maybe *the* struggle. I do just about manage it but it's pretty borderline and often I feel like I can't and that total sobriety is the only way.

i couldn't. i don't think moderation works for true addicts.

i was able to do what i thought was moderation, i.e. a daily smack habit while maintaining a normal life, but the habit was always increasing no matter what i did, and i couldn't stop. i once bought a big bit, i forget how much and my mate garnished it quite heavily, and weighed it out into daily amounts for 2 weeks, honestly believing i could stick to that. it was gone in less than a week.

crack once i was started i just couldn't control. i got a very big habit very fast and lost everything. i was aware i was (there is even a thread in TDS by me called something like 'about to lose job and home') but nothing i could do could stop it.

I find it helps to finish the bag each time I have my binge and never keep drugs “for later”. That way I clearly split ip my drug time and my sober time.

I find it helps to finish the bag each time I have my binge and never keep drugs “for later”. That way I clearly split ip my drug time and my sober time.

Either finishing it, or throwing it down the drain/toilet was my approach too. Then burning phone numbers so I have no access to more, and never using DNM to buy drugs as it's too easy when I'm feeling impulsive :)

yes that is actually how i did my crack for ages. i managed a few years just bingeing on it maybe once a month, then i stupidly started buying a bit every time i got a dark cos i was sure, having being using it regularly for years, i wouldn't get addicted. once i got into daily crack use it was just a matter of time.

it wouldn't work with physically addictive drugs, unless you can actually get through withdrawals/not get physically addicted in the first place.

Either finishing it, or throwing it down the drain/toilet was my approach too. Then burning phone numbers so I have no access to more, and never using DNM to buy drugs as it's too easy when I'm feeling impulsive :)

Yeah, I went mad when I discovered DNM but eventually found quality not up to same standard as a guy I was regular with. I must have burned his number a dozen times.

Thanks ya'll for the honesty. The point I was trying to make. Once ya ride the lightnin, it's always in your mental rolodex. Mine anyway. Imo, y'alls honesty is the purest form of HR. Loves me some stims, wish I'd gotten a script/ diagnosis years ago, life may have been different. When I was growing up, ADD solution was bust his ass til he minds. Know this sites main objective is responsible use, i appreciate that. But can we agree that's a difficult endeavor?
Especially after one crosses the threshold to God mode.

Never had that, can't even experience 'euphoria' from drugs, but still find it very difficult to control use, yes.
Guess it depends on doc. All's right on the world, maybe, if an opiate user. Stims my thing

Guess it depends on doc. All's right on the world, maybe, if an opiate user. Stims my thing

I suspect stim users more capable of switching their drug use on and off compared to opiate users. Especially when they learn the cravings are psychological rather than physical.

Depends a lot on personality type,duration, and the positives. Most amp users will tell you that initially was a life enhancer across the board.

Yes, I struggle with moderation
and also the need for DOC.

moderation however is a productive way to find a way to balance.

I have no problem taking medicine, and just have problems with the not taking it.

That's just my dilemma.
Always try to have a great day. :)

It depends so much on a persons unique mental and physical make up and the paticular substance.I've been able to be moderate on somethings without the desire to ramp up to more and more often. Other things have a building effect and I have to make " rules" and stick to them.Otherwise I tell myself I'm controlling my use by consciously making the decision to increase(haha) each time I increase. It may take awhile but at some point that always gets out of hand and it is usually some significant negative impact that makes me say " what the hell am I doing." Then I have to stop that substance totally for awhile. At that point I can't just dial back. I have been able to do that without intervention 😄. Then there was cocaine...that was a one way ticket. There was no reeling back at any point . At some point I told myself EVERY DAY it was no longer fun and I was killing myself... and then used more. After two years of mostly daily use ...the physical suffering and the voices in the wall became too much and I checked into rehab and vowed to never touch it again. In truth I did try it one more time after about one month.Used it for a little over a one week period.The out come was not good. I wont touch that one again. I wont...I wont.. been 15 years so far so good. Did I answer your question ? Probably not 😆.

I quit iv coke ( rolled hard, 36 rigs in 13 hrs, the good shit) cold turkey 26 yrs ago. Got a life, fam, career. Amps on weekends maybe 8-10 times a year 1/2 gr. between 2 people. 20 yrs later, life happened, meth everyday for 2 months. Quit for 2 yrs, then 384 days straight min 1/2 gr daily. Slept, ate worked. Maintained? Hell no. It's not if, it's when. Life's a balance, play, you'll pay.

I quit iv coke ( rolled hard, 36 rigs in 13 hrs, the good shit) cold turkey 26 yrs ago. Got a life, fam, career. Amps on weekends maybe 8-10 times a year 1/2 gr. between 2 people. 20 yrs later, life happened, meth everyday for 2 months. Quit for 2 yrs, then 384 days straight min 1/2 gr daily. Slept, ate worked. Maintained? Hell no. It's not if, it's when. Life's a balance, play, you'll pay.

That’s almost my story too. Except all a bit more recently and I began with speed before coke. IV coke was totally incontrollable until running out of money forced me to go cold turkey. I hope I never get tempted again - though I fondly remember the freight train running through my head.

No use for coke once I found my amp. I passed on the offer to learn to cook from the original Oklahoma OG, or I'd be dead or in prison. Only way I'm doin coke again is if I'm terminal and need to check out. Fuck the highway to hell, I'll take the train😎