• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc moderate to high anxiety after only 4-5 days use of z-drug? Is this even possible?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I am prescribed Zopiclone (essentially, this is Lunesta in the US but it's the racemic mixture; the other enatiomer is NOT active though, so only strength can be affected).

Anyways, I'm prescribed one 7.5 mg pill every night for sleep. I very rarely take it this way, though...I usually end up binging on them for several days straight - including taking them during the daytime, since they're essentially benzo's in their effects and are therefore good anti-anxiety meds and potentiatiors of methadone. This way, I get to enjoy them regularly and am ensured of at least a short period of good sleep every so often, yet so much time passes between prescriptions that it doesn't become physically habit forming. I have heard enough horror stories about benzo withdrawal syndrome, I wouldn't risk it for my life. Again, Zopiclone essentially IS a benzo; like many other drugs throughout history, it was initially marketed as a safer, non-addictive drug compared to the benzodiazepines. Although its structure is quite different from the classic benzos, it's mechanism of action is essentially the same. It enhances the efficacy of GABA throughout the brain by binding to benzodiazepine (BDZ) receptors - yet they don't do this selectively.

Shortly after their widespread adoption, stories of addiction began to emerege. It was soon obvious that Zopiclone is no less addictive than simlar strength benzos, and just as abusable (in fact, some studies show this MORE SO than benzo's)

My problem is that when I use them heavily for about 3-5 days, I definitely feel a bit restless and agitated when I run out. Those symtoms are liveable and not that big a deal. However, I feel as though I get significant anxiety upon withdrawal as well - yet every doctor and pharmacist seem to say that benzo addiction is NOT possible after using them for such a short period...some say it takes a minimum of 3 weeks for it to appear noticeably, while still others have said that there IS no withdrawal syndrome for zopiclone even after many months or using (bullshit alert!). I'm sure that I'm not helping my anxiety situation by dwelling upon it and looking for it to emerge (isn't that the worst?? I wish there were a switch where I could just temporarily turn off my brain when this happens; being inside my own body can be agonizing..do you know where I'm coming from?)

So does anyone know or have experience with the possibility of emergent rebound anxiety from zopiclone or other Z-drugs after only 3-5 days of using?

yep, definitely possible.

ive been in your shoes before, buying strips of zops and eating them 10 at a time and getting rebound anxiety.

this is basically a sign that you need to leave this class of drugs alone and work on these feelings you're trying to drown in zopiclone/booze/benzos/opiates/whatever.

OP, if your going to binge on a substance, then essentially drop your dose all the sudden, your brain is going to be like what the fuck.
Everybody is different. Maybe in the majority of people, it takes a few weeks, but you are different.
The best thing I can really say, due to this being a harm reduction site is, if you want the bad rebound effects to stop, take as prescribed or quit the medication. It doesn't work correctly for you. If you decide to keep taking them in whatever way you like to, learn how to taper your dose down if you don't already know.

I don't mean to sound preachy, I care about Bluelighters health.

Speed King