• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Modafinil, new alert/smart drug, how long will it be legal?

ilikeacid

Bluelighter
I recently heard from a friend about this new drug, a stimulant that improves concentration, it does't have the negative side-effects of regular stimulants like amphetamine comedowns, and better yet importing them/possessing them is completely legal! =D
Modafinil is this wonder drugs name and I've been using them regularly for weeks now with no physical or emotional consequences, other than being actually pumped to do my homework and not yawning off in lectures They work better than coffee and don't give you the jitters! =D
They're typically prescribed, like other stimulants are, to people with narcolepsy and other similar tiredness disorders, and if you want to obtain them here you need a doctors prescription. I've checked them out on Erowid and a few other sites and they mention its a relatively new drug, which answers the question of why it hasn't made its way into the TGA's controlled substances lists yet.

As far as I've learned they don't cause dependency, which I witnessed first hand when I took 1 tablet every day for a week and a half and then ran out for 2 weeks and didn't even notice I missed them.
I recently bought some more from a U.S pharmacy (a large quantity) and had them shipped in no probs, customs even ripped the package open and everything! :D They don't appear on either Appendix A or B of the TGA's list, how long will this last do people think?
Phase Dancer in particular, you seem to be able to smell the changes coming, should I stock up now before the authorities take away my study meds? Or for once can they see that this stuff is fine and void of abuse potential?

I recently heard from a friend about this new drug, a stimulant that improves concentration, it does't have the negative side-effects of regular stimulants like amphetamine comedowns, and better yet importing them/possessing them is completely legal!

Modafinil is not legal to purchase or possess in Australia without prescription....and prescriptions are very hard to get. Read and weep.

From MIMS

MIMS Abbreviated Prescribing Information

Section: 3(e) Other central nervous system agents
Consumer Medicine Information: Available

Pregnancy Category: B3

Sport Category: Banned in sport

Uses/Indications: Narcolepsy

Contraindications: Pregnancy

Precautions: Major anxiety; hypertension; left ventricular hypertrophy, mitral valve prolapse esp with cardiac symptoms after previous stimulant therapy; coronary artery disease; recent MI; unstable angina; high doses (> 400 mg/day); ensure nonhormonal contraceptive use; dependence potential; severe renal, hepatic impairment; elderly; lactation; children < 16 years

Adverse Reactions: Headache; nausea; depression; nervousness; diarrhoea; dry mouth; anorexia; rhinitis; pharyngitis; dizziness; others, see full PI

Drug Interactions: OCs; methylphenidate; triazolam; MAOIs; diazepam; phenytoin; propranolol; TCAs; SSRIs; cyclosporin; theophylline; carbamazepine; phenobarbitone; rifampicin; ketoconazole, itraconazole; warfarin; others, see full PI

MODAVIGIL (Tablets) Prescription required. S4
Modafinil; lactose; gluten free;
Dose: May be taken with or without food. 200-400 mg/day in the morning or divided morning and noon

.....[Prices Removed; p_d]

[Approved indication(s) for authority:

Initial treatment, by a qualified sleep medicine practitioner or neurologist, of patients with narcolepsy where: (i) therapy with dexamphetamine sulfate poses an unacceptable medical risk; or. (ii) intolerance to dexamphetamine sulfate of a severity necessitating permanent treatment withdrawal develops.

The presence of any 1 of the following indicates treatment with dexamphetamine sulfate poses an unacceptable medical risk: (a) a psychiatric disorder; (b) a cardiac disorder; (c) a history of substance abuse; (d) glaucoma; (e) any other absolute contraindication to dexamphetamine sulfate as specified in the TGA-approved Product Information.

Patients must meet the following definition of narcolepsy: Excessive daytime sleepiness, recurrent naps or lapses into sleep occurring almost daily for at least 3 months and either: (i) a definite history of cataplexy and a Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT) with a mean sleep latency less than or equal to 8 minutes; or. (ii) a MSLT with a mean sleep latency less than or equal to 8 minutes and 2 or more sleep onset rapid eye movement (REM) periods. The MSLT must be preceded by nocturnal polysomnography.

Sleep prior to the MSLT must be at least 6 hours. Polygraph records and sleep reports must be available for audit by Medicare Australia. The authority application must be made in writing and must include the following: (a) a completed authority prescription form; and. (b) a completed Modafinil (Modavigil) PBS Authority Application for Use in the Treatment of Narcolepsy - Supporting Information Form [may be downloaded from the Medicare Australia website (visit www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/providers/forms/pbs.htm and click on Medical Practitioners)]; and. (c) the result and date of the polysomnography test conducted by, or under the supervision of, a qualified sleep medicine practitioner; and. (d) the results and date of the MSLT conducted by, or under the supervision of, a qualified sleep medicine practitioner; and. (e) details of the contraindication or intolerance to dexamphetam]

There have been several threads regarding modafinil on this board. UTSE

^ Thanks for that p_d =D
But how come I can buy it legally from overseas, even with customs opening up the box, obviously noting that it was modafinil, then sending it on to me?
If it's illegal without a perscription (which I don't have), why does it get through.
also, the side effects are no where near as extreme as the one's mentioned above.. at least as far as I've experienced....so far8o

p_d, do you think this is something to be using regularly/semi-regularly as a study aid? I've read a few stories about proffessionals giving up coffee to use this stuff for busy days, your personal opinion would be appreciated..

But how come I can buy it legally from overseas, even with customs opening up the box, obviously noting that it was modafinil, then sending it on to me?
If it's illegal without a perscription (which I don't have), why does it get through.

Sometimes the TGA let small quantities of S4 pharmaceuticals through if deemed to be for personal use. Also, although it might seem a bit weird, just because you're not allowed to possess something without prescription, it doesn't necessarily mean it's illegal to import. That being said, there's nothing to say TGA don't pass relevant info on to other authorities. I'm sure if Modafinil became popular there would be some effort to limit imports.

p_d, do you think this is something to be using regularly/semi-regularly as a study aid?

I've no first hand experience with Modafinil, although much has been said about it on this board and others. Most reports seem to be positive, although, as the pharmacology is largely unknown it's hard to say what long term effects might develop. I'd suggest checking other threads on the topic.

Also, although it might seem a bit weird, just because you're not allowed to possess something without prescription, it doesn't necessarily mean it's illegal to import
This must be the case, I went through the TGA's import restrictions list in great detail and it is not listed! that is strange, hope it stays that way for the sake of me and others who pull all night study sessions ;)

i have got perscription for modafinil
its very expensive 30 tablets for $1** 1** --- sorry about the price delete
shit i just order 30g of pure modafinil powder
hope it gets through

^yeah I know the price is high, It's actually cheaper buying from overseas instead of buying here, even with the PBS. Thats why I thought it was weird when I ordered 100+ and arrived successfully, even with a note saying customs had opened the package.. not complaining though