• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Missed Suboxone shot...HELP

Screaming_Skull

Bluelighter
So I know shooting subs is bad blah blah, so NO LECTURES PLEASE. Looking for help(well more advice on what kind of miss this is...never seen one like this). I have been known to shoot my bupe to stock up on the damn expensive as hell med, so I can sell them sometimes, and for the lower half life so I could get high if I wanted to without waiting days on end. BUT to the point, I was stupid last night and have always been VERY careful while shooting(esp bupe,I never saw how people missed with it as it burns so bad, and I've always gone SLOW...only thing I've ever missed is part of a Morphine 100 pill and some 30's a few times, but extreme hot rag compression always got rid of the swelling) anyway, last night I was already buzzed on Gaba drugs and already sleepy..and kinda stoned. I registered in my arm but slipped so I went to the side of my hand. registered there pushed and felt NO BURN WHATSO EVER(don't care how fucked up ya are, your gonna feel that damn burn if your out of the vein if it's Sub). The spot where I injected is fine no lump or nothin, but half an inch above on my hand it is swollen, kinda sore(not bad). I've never seen a miss swell up execept from where the injection site was. I"m hoping it goes down, but usually if I miss it's all good in 24 hours, not this time. Going to the docotor after tomorow(would go tomorow, but it's sunday and I gotta work). No huritng but it's just wierd the knot/swelling is an inch away from where I shot???

Edit: I'm going to do hot compresses tonight again, or should I try Ice packs also?? Anything I should put on it until I go the doctor fot this....spider bite. This was just a piece of a strip(1mg or a little less). I would HATE to see someone miss with a whole one.

I (personally) would wait twenty-four hours and if it does not at least start to improve in that amount of time go see a doctor. HOWEVER I am not a doctor and have no medical experience whatsoever, the only way to truly be safe is to go see a doctor right away if it concerns you. Sub-strips are not something to be fucked with when you're talking IV, a lot of additives in there. I would in the mean time put cold compresses on the site to try to reduce swelling, and if it starts going down it probably is nothing to worry about.

Best of luck.

Monitor the injection site and your overall state of health. Localized heat, reddening, fever, or chills should all indicate its time for an ER visit.

Missed suboxone shots are notorious for leading to amputations after the gnarly abscesses they cause... Stay safe

Just use a hot compress, I wouldn't put ice on it. You could also sit in a warm bath, if the miss forms a lump and becomes warm it's an abscess. That is weird that you didn't feel the miss and that it swelled up at a different location. Kind of sounds like an arterial shot (though usually you feel those more then a miss, though there have been times where I didn't) which could be pretty fucking serious with buprenorphine tabs.

Well I fell asleep and pretty much just woke up an hour ago. But its still swollen at that spot, not painful, not warm to the touch really. It's been 48 hours or so. Sighs. At latest it will be tuesday when I go but gonna try in the morning. It was done on the side of my hand(where your thumb is) and there's that little thing of fat on both your hand when you put all yr fingers together on each hand, exept the one on the left hand is all swollen, and the swelling is not even where the needle was put. It didn't burn when I push but something was wrong. If I could remember I think I was think but everything seems ok while pushing it down. Buuut anyway a lump not where the needle was stuck(about an half an inch) and its not warm to the touch really or painful at the moment. To make myself not be in a constant state of panic i've been taking tons(more than usual) of phenibut, benzos, and gabapentin, to keep ,my bad thoughts of what could happen =(

Last edited:
You're probably fine if its been 48hrs. Im only saying probably because i have seen ppl get abscesses at the 72hr mark from the missed shot. But if its not getting worse by now i wouldn't worry so much... Is it going down?

Was the area between your index finger or and thumb?

Veins
018e29b22d51aea849bdd23fd7b5e1c8.jpg

Arteries:
arteries-of-hand-anatomy-radial-ulnar-palmar-artery-en_imagelarge.jpg

I ask because there's a vein directly above an artery in that area which is super easy to accidentally hit/miss into. I've also found that arterial blood closest to your digits for some reason is a bit darker then blood from a larger artery like the femoral, at least I found that to be true on both my body and my ex girlfriends'.

It was the commencoment of medium vein right there on the side of the thumb(or kinda at the end of the the thumb, like the middle of the hand) It's swollen about an inch away from the injection site, or half inch something like that on the top of my hand, kinda by the thumb. I'm going tuesday if it hasn't gone away, this happened friday night...I smoked some crystal and probly wasn't the best idea I'm trying not to look at it or think about it now. Please respond back though if you have any idea. I'm going tuesday mornig to the doc, just one more day.. I would go tomorow I'm just kinda spun and now I can't deal with it(don't know why the fuck I smoked, knowing I would be thinking about this. I wouldn't be worried it's just when I've missed before the lumps have alway gone away with super hot water rags, but that has not been the case this time. I'm freaking out because of all the horror stories i've heard about people loosing limbs...I might go in the morning I dunno.. I've never had a miss where it swelled somewhere else besidides the injection site, and mine have always gone away overnight. ALWAYS. So now, i'm freaked kinda

Edit: the people at work said it looked like it had gone down, but I dunno. It was kinda sore today, not hurting hurting, but sore at times. Anything besides hot water rags to help...plz respond I know only a doctor can help but just put my mind at ease until I go tuesday morning please!!!

If its not coming to the surface and you value your hand, go to the fucking doctor or ER.

They will usually take the spider bite line once, a surgeon doesn't ask questions btw.

I am just worried about your time span.

Also I seen someone bring an abcess to the surface and well yeah he was really fucking sick by the time he bit the bullet and went to the ER.

Abcesses are best to be honest about depending on how bad they are and well if I had one in my hand I would just go to the doctor whether or not I lost my rxs.

I did have a friend who had abcesses and put it off forever and this person didn't get cut off their bupe. Maybe a lil sincerity when the doctor asks you to level with them would help. A trip to urgent care, a shot in the ass, a knick, and some antibiotics should sort it out but if you prolong it you could be in the hospital on IV antibiotics which I gotta say really fucking sucks, especially if you get put under for surgery.

Missing a sub shot can all kinds of fuck you up. You should of seen what another poster put on here -- an enormous red/purple patchy painful and burning rash from missing a sub shot. I had a very small rash like that happen when I missed just the teeniest bit of a sub.
Protips -- shoot zubsolv instead of suboxone. Always use .9% NaCl saline solution when shooting any sublingual medication or you'll be missing your veins in not too long a time.

Went to doc told him a spider bite said it was hurting starting yesterday and asked him if it was an abcess he could drain said no gave me 3 shots and antibotivd

You're worried (quite rightly) about serious, life-altering complications - like amputation - but you're lying to the doctor you've gone to for treatment?
That makes no sense dude. Lie to your boss. Lie to your family if you must.

But if you want genuine medical treatment, you need to give them the facts.
The superficial symptoms of a spider bite may be vaguely similar enough to fool a doctor - but for them to properly diagnose your problem - and understand the potential severity of it, it's really important that you be hinest with them.
The see a lumi, hear "spider bite" and assume that there is no cause for alarm.
But a serious abcess from IV drug use is a whole other matter, from a medical point of view.

I'm not having a go at you - i feel bad for you that the stigma against drug use bas led you to this.
But really, you need to see a medical professional (go to Emergency if possible).
I know this is worrying you a lot - which is all the more reason to get this treated adeqautely as soon as possible.
What's the worst that can happen?
A lecture from someone with a bad attitude in the hospital?
On the other hand, i get the impression from your posts that 'worst case scenarios' (of inadequate, late or non-treatment) are haunting you, leading you to stay loaded on other drugs, which may or may not affect the healing process.
In any case, they can't be helping the 'clear thinking' process, or your paranoia.

Either way dude, rather than freaking out and feeling shame for being an IV drug user, just look at this as an "occupational hazard" of sorts.
Please get it checked out, and be honest. My girlfriend is a nurse who worked in emergency; they see shit like this - and far worse - all the time.
Just do it man, you dont want to have to live with the kind of regret you could have if you leave it.
Shooting sub strips is not a good idea - but you can learn from that.
But you gotta tell the doc the truth, they ain't mind readers <3

Well I was an ex patient of his who he quit givin me addersll cuz of my nap and said he wasn't just there for addersll. Have also been back there since and if he looked at my file would see I was on subs. When I turned my hand I tried to make sure he saw the tracks also was trying to make my arm visible where he could see this obvious track on my arm... Also directly asked if it was an abcess he could drain. Thot he mite pick up on those few things.. It feels less stiff I think. I thought when I said abcess ya can drain he would take that hint..

I'm goin back tomorow if it's not any better than today, he said Friday but Thursday mite be better I would think

Think you should just tell him mate. A spider bite and a missed suboxone shot are very different and no point in giving him vague hints that he might not even pick up on...

I am I'm going back in in the morning before wrk, unspun. He told me come back Friday if it wasn't getting better but am tomorow. Everyone i know has told the doc spider bite and were given shots and antibiotics but now I'm worried all over again after reading this. I'm just Gnna say I missed a shot(I'm gonn say it was an abg morphine if that's ok, that way if it does get back to my doc it was suboxone I shot up, but goin back in the morning. Does feel less stiff the lump is not warm. It's staying the same size tho

Actually it doesn't feel nearly as stiff at all. The people I am with is saying it looks like a bug bite(exrriemced pill shooter/meth shooter said it Dsnt look bad, but like a sting. She no longer does it tho, another former shooter also said bug bite) neway

Fingers crossed for you mate.

I actually think you'll be ok from what you describe (no high temp, no extreme soreness or heat coming from the area) but wouldn't want for you to avoid seeking medical attention based purely on that...

Seeking as much medical attention as possible is always the best thing to do. It is the only thing that will give you piece of mind. And yes be honest with them. I accidentally shot about a 1mg piece of a sub strip into my radial artery once. That sucked BAD. None of my friends would take me to ER, so I let it go for a night. But the next morning I decided to go to the ER cuz my hand was very stiff. They did their test, I told them I had injected a piece of my medication, and yeah I got some dirty looks, but they just discharged me, cuz there was no evidence of clotting or infection. I wound up alright, my hand stayed stiff for a couple weeks, and there is still a small mark where I had injected at and this is 5months later now. But I spent hours on the net looking for answers and stuff and never found solace until I went to the ER and got it looked at and tested.

I have missed many sub strip shots before and they sting and hurt like a motherfuck for a few days and turn to like a hard area under your skin, and you won't be able to shoot up in that area for a long time, but the pain and swelling and stiffness usually goes away eventually over a week or so.

But when you are not sure if you are alright, it is ALWAYS best to get medical attention for it. ALWAYS.

Hopefully you're OK dude.