• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Mirtazapine helps me sleep now. But what will it do to me after I quit.

deadendgame

Bluelighter
I'm gonna start a regimen of 30 mg mirtazapine every night. I'm looking forward to the restful sleep that I'll be getting. But I know that this drug will cause weight gain during and after im done taking the drug. What else is it gonna do to me? What are the consequences of taking mirtazapine?

Hi there. I'm surprised you are starting at 30mg as the usual starting dose is 15mg and mirtazapine is another oddball that is more sedating at lower doses.

Yes, it will put weight on you if you don't watch your diet; but it won't continue to put weight on after you come off of it.

Withdrawal, IME, isn't as awful as many of other ADs. If you are concerned, or have had rough WDs from ADs in the past, ask your pdoc to switch you to fluoxetine (Prozac) and taper off of that. Prozac has an extremely long half life, and tapering off of it is pretty painless compared to most of the other ADs.

RXing an SNRI/SSRI for sleep is a bit much, though, unless you are also suffering from depression. It would make more sense to go with a very low dose (25-50mg) of Seroquel, or even a course of Trazadone, which is an old-fashioned tricyclic AD that isn't very good for depression, but knocks a lot of people out. Neither Traz nor Seroquel have real WDs, and while Seroquel can be a bitch for weight gain, it usually is OK in very low doses and if only used for a short time.

I take 45mg of mirtazapine every night, it's stopped working for sleep maybe i'm on too high of a dosage but it used to make me sleep very well. I'm Bi-Polar so I am also on serequal (used to be 300mg but that was way to much so I am back to 100mg). I also take lamictal-250mg in the morning. My meds have really helped my depression and manic. Then I was put on temazapam for sleep and that helped also but it's a benzo so I am sort of scarred of what I am getting myself into.

Good luck

I've been on and off Mirtazapine for over two years now.

Compared to any other AD I've been on (Mostly SSRI/SNRI), there is very little withdrawal with the Mirtazapine. I'm not sure if I'm unique here, but I was able to completely hop off of 45mg within a week with a very fast taper, with nearly no side effects.
Another time, I was able to just quit 30mg. Just stopped taking it, no withdrawal. Now I know if this was done with Paroxetine or Venlafaxine, there's no fucking way I could do that.

As I'm typing, I'm on half a 45mg every night but I can go days without it, with no side effects. I've also never noticed a decrease in it's value for sleeping.

I did gain 25 pounds my most recent time being prescribed, but I needed the extra weight. YMMV.

Mirtazapine will make you gain weight and possibly elevate your liver enzymes to some extend. Other than that most antidepressants are considered neuroprotective in the long term.