• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Mirtazapine....Any good for anxiety?

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
Has anyone here been on/tried Mirtazapine for anxiety? If so did it help? Pregabalin has not helped at all. I am still on Diazepam and Clonazepam and now Dr said he will try me on Mirtazapine....Never even heard of it till he mentioned it!!

Remeron is an anti depressant widely prescribed for insomnia. It is probably the best sleep med for me... Better than ambien for me personally. It certainly helps my anxiety when it makes me drowsy, but its not commonly prescribed for anxiety. More like major depression and insomnia. Give it a shot it might help.

Are you taking it during the day? Might work if you take some at night it worked for a while for me for anxiety and bipolar but like everything else that "worked" it was short lived.

Maby a high dose will work after 1-2 weeks of daily use. But its not very effective for anxiety compared to other meds.

Two other options that might work better:

- Hydroxyzine
- Buspirone

Thanks for the replies.....Helpful as always :)

I have heard of Busirone being used for anxiety in the UK but not Hydroxyzine? Looking on the net Hydroxyzine has some really good reviews for helping anxiety.

damn Diazapem and Clonazepam arent helping your anxiety?how much are you taking of both?i hope you arent expecting any medication will 100% eliminate your anxiety..if so, you will never be satisfied..

Maby a high dose will work after 1-2 weeks of daily use. But its not very effective for anxiety compared to other meds.

Two other options that might work better:

- Hydroxyzine
- Buspirone

Hydroxyzine is the best anxiolytic antihistamine in my experience, and the best anti-anxiety medication that isn't GABA related. Mirtazepine might work ok, but Hydroxyzine is better for the treatment of AD IMO.

Has anyone here been on/tried Mirtazapine for anxiety? If so did it help? Pregabalin has not helped at all. I am still on Diazepam and Clonazepam and now Dr said he will try me on Mirtazapine....Never even heard of it till he mentioned it!!
:) I was put on Mirtazapine for roughly two years before I stopped it. I found it useless for anxiety and put on pounds weight (which magically disappeared when I stopped). I found it had such a subtle lethargic effect, I didn't even notice, until I stopped) how many things had just slid by me. It did not help with anxiety induced insomnia therefore so no it's not a drug I would ever consider taking again. Saying that everyone responds differently to different drugs, something that is so often overlooked or ignored. Prozac I found complete crap also yet some people swear by it.

belfort.....I am on 10mg of Diazepam a day and been on this dose for 16 years and 0.5mg of Clonazepam a day and been on this dose for 5 years. Whats strange is if I increase my Diazepam I get even more anxious, think its called a paradoxil (spelling?) effect?

Znegative ...... I will ask if I can try some Hydroxyzine. Whats interesting is if its an Anti-hist', well that would be perfect as I take Certrizine for allergies every day, so this would help with anxiety plus allergies :) I looked on the BNF earlier and Hydroxyzine is not being shown to be used for anxiety, so Dr may have to say no :(

Justcanthelpmyself....Thank you for your input......So weight gain issues, something Celexa has done to me is pile the weight on....Same as, found Prozac crap!

Mirtazapine worked pretty well for me. I took it before bed to help with my sleeping issues but the next day I had reduced anxiety. Supposedly the lower doses are better for sleep and the higher doses are better for anxiety and depression.

It's good for knocking you out until you develop some tolerance it may be a bit much for breakfast bit it's worth a go. You're not in oz are you?

Mirtazapine is an interesting antidepressant - as rhun said, it's a good sleep aid that provides a mood boost the following day. Unlike other antidepressants, Mirtazapine doesn't primarily work as a reuptake inhibitor but as an antagonist on various "bad" receptors - blocking these improves your mood by allowing your brain to release more noradrenaline and dopamine(!).

But yes, it is notorious for causing weight gain - still, after doing a successful in-patient therapy for my depression I was easily able to lose the weight (despite still being on Mirtazapine) since not being super-depressed gave me the energy boost I needed to hit the treadmill, and resist the urge to binge on cereals.

Hodor........ You used to have the urge to binge on cereals, same as! I wake up at all hours, say 4am and I will eat huge amounts of any cereal. Now weighing 229 and at 6ft most of my weight is on my stomach, got the pregnant look!

I found that high doses were very helpful at alleviating anxiety and ensuring a good night's sleep. Strangely, low doses were more sedating. Yes, the weight gain does happen, but that's an issue you can deal with later.

Took Remeron hated it, gave me brain fog and made me feel lathrgic. Maybe Trazodone might work for you?