• Psychedelic Medicine

MICRODOSING | +80 articles

darius-bashar-I8Q261NtB24-unsplash-780x400.jpg

Avoiding negative experiences with microdosing

by Greg Ferenstein | The Third Wave | 18 Nov 18 2020

This post explores how microdosing psychedelics can require a significant amount of supplemental mindfulness practices, such as meditation or journaling, in order for users to not feel overwhelmed by the intoxicating effects of the substances. For example, if a user spends 20 minutes in eyes-closed meditation on 0.1 grams of psilocybin to help them feel productive at work, that same user may need to spend 40 minutes in meditation and keep a journal if they want to avoid unpleasant experiences at just a slightly higher dose of 0.2 grams.

As microdosing psychedelics moves from fringe experiment to mainstream practice, there’s starting to be enough observational data to learn not just if microdosing is effective, but under what conditions it can help people manage their mental health challenges or increase their productivity.

To investigate this question, I partnered with Third Wave to conduct detailed interviews with the participants in their Microdosing Course, Microdosing Coaching Program, and Microdosing Experience Program. The aim was to see what patterns emerged from people reporting both positive and negative experiences.

After roughly 50 interviews, a common problem I saw cropping up is users feeling uncomfortable or unfocused as they move into higher doses than what is conventionally considered a “microdose”—at around 0.3 grams of dried magic mushrooms or 0.25 micrograms of LSD. Users who normally feel more energetic or creative on slightly lower doses (0.1 to 0.2) unexpectedly felt quite disappointed as they inched only slightly higher in their dosages.

After probing the details, a pattern eventually emerged: mild overdose experiences were preceded by insufficient preparation.

Higher doses may need more preparation

In preparing for a traditional microdose, microdosers often have a mindfulness practice to amplify the positive effects of either LSD or psilocybin. This could be 20 minutes of mantra meditation, journaling, or just a contemplative walk in nature after consumption.

My interviews showed, however, that some people who experimented with higher microdoses—and who did not change their mindfulness practices—experienced very different results than they did on lower dosages.

It would appear that doubling a dose, even a microdose, can require a proportional uptick in mindfulness.

So, if a user normally meditates for 20 minutes after 100 milligrams of psilocybin, that same amount of effort may not cut it for 200 milligrams.

The more you take, the longer you may need to sit. Of course, this is easier said than done, especially if you find yourself in a place where closed eyes meditation is taboo.

toa-heftiba-7MYJbEfc5kU-unsplash.jpg

Some real world examples

From a scientific perspective, I find a lot of value in case studies, especially those with relatable experiences. So when participants in Third Wave programs come to me with a particular problem, I go back through our database of user experiences and see what lessons can be gleaned from their tales of triumph and regrets.

As it pertains to managing higher microdoses, one user told me how they occasionally microdose LSD at work, but, at least once, accidentally took too much and found themself losing touch while talking to their boss. To manage these overwhelming feelings, the user would stop work, set a timer for a few minutes, and just sit in still awareness of their thoughts:
“I would come back to my desk. And I would set my watch for a minute or three minutes. And I would sit there and meditate, and that would help me when I would be on 10 to 12 [micrograms of LSD] and have those buggy like, ‘am I okay, am I okay?’ kind of thought loops… And I pretended to be looking at my computer screen because I was at work. But I would actually be softening my gaze and trying to meditate meaning, you know, watch my thoughts. And watch my breathing.”
By adding additional mindfulness practices to their day, then, this user was able to more skillfully navigate an overwhelming dose.

Another user, a mother who reported improved parenting through microdosing, had to reschedule her microdoses to days where she could have ample time for undistracted meditation. Though she felt most creative in the morning, “in terms of my actual real life schedule, I end up dealing with two kids and there’s a lot coming at me. So instead of me being able to meditate or workout or focus on one thing, it was kind of hectic,” she said.

To account for this, she waited until there was a quiet time in the middle of the day while the kids were napping. “My favorite way to use it would be to meditate, and journal, and, sometimes, process emotions that I didn’t even understand I was processing. So I would cry.”

As this example shows, an “overwhelming” feeling can sometimes be a matter of set and setting. When this user had enough time to meditate and fully express (quite intense) emotions, an otherwise unproductive dose became something helpful.

These observations jive with my own experience. On occasion, I will take moderate doses at social events and end up dosing higher than I’d like. When I feel overwhelmed with visualizations or uncomfortable feelings, I’ll find a quiet place and meditate. Usually, the uncomfortable feeling resolves itself once I come to a place of insight about why I was feeling a certain way.

Conclusions and a theory

Why do users who try higher doses report less negative experiences if they practice more mindfulness? Unfortunately, the state of psychedelic science doesn’t offer a lot of explanation. Researchers are just beginning to acknowledge a dose-dependent relationship between mindfulness and mood alteration.

There is some interesting research around how the body “stores” negative emotions and can require introspection to return to a non-agitated state. It’s possible that psychedelics trigger these negative emotional states.

Whatever the reason, if you find yourself struggling with higher microdoses, the observational evidence suggests that it might be due to insufficient mindfulness practices.

Last edited:
fR3AMIGV-780x400.jpeg

Can microdosing solve mainstream problems?

The Third Wave | 2 Dec 2020

Psychedelics have held a contested place in the collective cultural imagination for most of contemporary history. As a catalyst for the counterculture movements of the 1960s and subsequent culture wars that led to their outlaw, the perception of hallucinogenic drugs such as psilocybin, LSD, and peyote (to name a few) have fallen into two distinct camps: revered and reviled. For some, psychedelics have always been (and continue to be) dangerous substances that cause permanent damage to the brain. For others, they hold the potential to actually heal the mind, and treat some of the most prevalent mental and behavioral disorders.

Over the past few years, we’ve been lucky enough to see this stalemate shifting, thanks to the rise of the psychedelic renaissance—the resurgence of research into the healing potential of psychedelics. But even with a growing body of research, for many, the idea of widespread and unfettered access to these mind-expanding medications is a hard pill to swallow. Despite growing scientific support, the propaganda that cast psychedelics as dangerous left their mark. On top of that, many enthusiasts fear that one slip-up (a high-profile death or injury, perhaps) could effectively put the lid back on this burgeoning movement, leaving many to ask: At this crucial moment, what is the path to widespread societal acceptance of psychedelic use?

The answer may just lie with microdosing. Defined as the act of consistently taking sub-perceptual doses of (almost) any psychedelic, microdosing has been touted as a way to help treat the symptoms of depression, addiction, and anxiety, as well as boost creativity, productivity, spiritual connection, and overall wellbeing. And, perhaps even more than psychedelics in general, the practice of microdosing is steadily making its way into the mainstream.

zxmLsFtw-scaled.jpeg

From underground to above board

For years, microdosing was practiced quietly by a select group of self-experimenters in the underground psychedelic community. But after psychologist and psychedelic advocate Dr. James Fadiman published his 2011 book, The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys, microdosing saw a major revitalization. This signal was boosted further when Fadiman appeared on investor and author Tim Ferriss’s podcast in March 2015, which prompted his large audience of self-experimenters to try it for themselves—and effectively set microdosing on the path to becoming a normalized, mainstream practice. Dozens of high-profile publications have since published exposés on the topic, and Silicon Valley self-optimizers have normalized its use in the workplace—and beyond. Consider, for instance, the GQ headline, “Micro-dosing: The Drug Habit Your Boss Is Gonna Love,” and The Guardian’s “‘It makes me enjoy playing with the kids’: is microdosing mushrooms going mainstream?

With mothers and CEOs alike openly microdosing, this steady progression into the mainstream shows why microdosing could be paramount to the future of psychedelics: it can lower the barrier to entry. While it’s reasonable to assume there’s long been an overlap in the Venn diagram of tech workers and the psychedelic underground (after all, it’s well-known that Steve Jobs used psychedelics, and some have even credited the substances with the invention of the internet), it’s also possible that if Fadiman had recommended that Ferriss’s followers go out and take an ego-dissolving dose of psychedelics, many likely would have passed. By taking a sub-perceptual dose, however, people curious—and perhaps hesitant—about the benefits of psychedelics can find a gentle entry point into the larger world of their use.

A new standard of care

Getting the vast majority of people comfortable with taking large doses of psychedelics isn’t the point, of course; not everyone needs that. But getting people comfortable with the idea of psychedelic use is key to their widespread dissemination to those who do need it—psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy could become legal if popular opinion can override governmental trepidation. And getting psychedelics legalized could be vital in face of the world’s growing mental health crisis.

“It would be much safer if it was legal, so you could openly seek expert advice,” a mother named Rosie, who struggled with her mental health and a drinking problem until she discovered microdosing, told The Guardian. “I’ve taken antidepressants with lists of side-effects as long as my arm. Now I’m taking something with no known side-effects and it’s working… And I’m significantly happier as a consequence.”

Like Rosie, some 13% of the global population (or nearly 971 million people) suffers some kind of mental illness, according to the Institute for Health Metrics Evaluation. In the U.S. alone, antidepressant use has gone up 60% since 2010, with 25 million adults now on antidepressants for more than two years. Suicide rates are rising, loneliness has become an epidemic, and feelings of meaninglessness are pervasive, suggesting that humanity may be in the throes of an all-out existential crisis. What’s more, the way we currently treat these mental health issues isn’t working. Antidepressants work less than 50% of the time, and people on these drugs are 2.5 times more likely to attempt suicide.

All of this makes one thing clear: when it comes to mental health, we are in desperate need of a new standard of care. Although it may sound like a high-handed statement, psychedelics could be a big part of the solution. On top of a lot of other promising research, a recent study of 27 people with major depressive disorder found that psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy worked far better than standard antidepressants. Another researcher studying the efficacy of psychedelics compared to pharmaceuticals for depression even went so far as to call their preliminary results “game-changing.”

wqq4o-gg1-scaled.jpeg

Seeding a social movement

That’s the good news. The bad news is, getting this game-changing care into the hands (or minds) of everyone in need is still a ways off. Which is why it’s more important than ever that microdosing gain widespread acceptance. While microdosing has been studied far less than “full” doses of psychedelics, some research does support the anecdotal claims of their efficacy. A study from the University of Bergen, for instance, found that the 21 male respondents reported improved mood, cognition, and creativity, and that these effects relieved symptoms of anxiety and depression. Another study from the Dutch Psychedelic Society found that microdosing psilocybin truffles could potentially enhance creativity, and yet another found that microdosing increased reported psychological functioning and decreased reported levels of depression and stress.

This isn’t just to show what microdosing can do though; it’s about getting scientific proof that proponents of the practice are not just looking for an excuse to be high all day, but are looking for true mental and spiritual wellbeing. After all, like CBD, the idea with microdosing is to not feel the effects of the drug, but rather the abatement of negative or unwanted feelings. And much like CBD opened the door to the widespread legalization of both medical and recreational cannabis, microdosing could lay the groundwork for widespread acceptance of psychedelic use.

It’s important to exhibit some caution here. Though many people have high hopes for microdosing, researchers have yet to prove out the myriad of claims being made about its life-changing efficacy—and we still don’t know the long-term side-effects, good or bad. It’s also speculative to say that microdosing will trigger a paradigm shift in how psychedelic use is perceived by mainstream culture. We just don’t know yet.

That said, the more of a grassroots groundswell there is, the less solid ground those interested in stamping out psychedelics altogether have to stand on. With more people touting the benefits of microdosing and pushing to end prohibition, the more pressure there is on the powers that be to make lasting change.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
people-microdosing-iboga-you-need-know-featured-800x500.jpg

Why people are microdosing Iboga

by Suzannah Weiss | 2 Oct 2020

During my first experience with iboga — a powerful psychedelic made from the wood of the African tabernanthe iboga shrub — I took a “flood dose,” which is considered the highest dose you can take. I threw up several times, hallucinated for about two days, and needed to be monitored by a doctor to ensure my heart rate didn’t drop too low. The trip was so intense, it took me a day before I could walk unassisted without losing my balance.

So, I was surprised that when I microdosed iboga a few months later, the effects were nothing like this. I felt energized, my heart rate seemed to increase, and I grew inspired to write. I was also perfectly able to socialize; in fact, I felt less inhibited and more articulate. Nor did I have any trouble navigating a foreign city while under the influence.

The different, almost opposite effects iboga produces at high and low doses are well known among those who administer it. In Gabon, where traditions around the substance originated, a microdose is known as a “hunter’s dose” because its stimulant, focus-enhancing properties are used for hunting, explains Dimitri Mugianis, founder of Iboga Revolution, who has been initiated in Gabon to lead iboga ceremonies. In addition, shamans and others providing support usually microdose iboga while assisting with ceremonies. Those who have used iboga to recover from drug addiction may also take microdoses if cravings or withdrawal symptoms come back, says Mugianis.

Iboga’s tendency to produce different effects at different doses makes sense scientifically: The alkaloids that make up iboga bind to an opiate receptor in the brain called the sigma receptor, which can cause hallucinations at high doses but, at doses below 50 mg or so, just produces euphoria, insights, and alertness, says James Giordano, professor of neurology and biochemistry at Georgetown University Medical Center.

However, just because microdosing iboga is a different experience from taking a flood dose doesn’t mean it eliminates all risks associated with the drug. Regardless of the dose, it’s quite possible for iboga to cause side effects like insomnia. "And even if the trip may not be as strong, you can still have a bad trip while microdosing iboga," says Mugianis, "especially if you’re in a bad mental state to begin with. Giordano recommends starting with a very low dose — just 10 mg or so — and then working your way up once you become familiar with the effects."

It’s also not impossible for iboga to slow down your heart rate when you’re microdosing. "It’s recommended that people get an EKG before going through an iboga ceremony, and this should be done before a microdose as well," says Giordano, "as cardiac abnormalities can put you at risk for bradycardia (low heart rate) under iboga." You also shouldn’t take iboga in any dose if you have issues with blood pressure or if you’re taking other drugs with contraindications, such as medications for hypertension or any stimulants, even just caffeine.

Tricia Eastman, founder of Psychedelic Journeys, believes it’s best to take iboga in a ceremony, where you have proper support and music that’s designed to assist you on your journey, especially if it’s your first time doing it. In addition, she cautions people about acquiring their own iboga. "Buying iboga on the illicit market can be problematic, as the funds often go back to elephant poachers who end up taking iboga out of the jungle while they’re hunting," she says.

Eastman also recommends caution in microdosing iboga because of sustainability issues. Iboga grows in very few parts of the world and takes seven years to grow to the point where it’s consumable, she explains, and Gabon is currently suffering from a shortage of it. “When people are all microdosing, what happens is it takes away from the supply of iboga for initiations in Gabon,” she says.

Mugianis agrees, suggesting that if you do microdose iboga, you compensate by donating to an organization like Blessings of the Forest, which works on iboga conservation. “We have to be conscious of the fact that it’s in danger,” he says.

Last edited:
blog-treated_microdosing-1920x1365.jpg

Microdosing Psychedelics: Biohack or Placebo?

by Milena Marinković | Mind Foundation | 4 Dec 2020

Here’s a thought-provoking question: Would you rather take a high dose of LSD or psilocybin sporadically to dissolve the boundaries between yourself and the universe, or just a tiny amount regularly to become more creative and excel at intellectually demanding tasks? The latter option has recently garnered the attention of biohacking communities, where it is popularized as microdosing. At the recent Interdisciplinary Conference of Psychedelic Research (ICPR2020), researchers investigating microdosing practices and effects shared their findings and suggested that microdosing might not actually be the right tool for performance enhancement.

What’s behind the microdosing trend?

The stimulant effects of low doses of LSD have been known since Albert Hofmann himself suggested it as an alternative to Ritalin.1 Today, microdosing enthusiasts may come to the practice with a far greater variety of motivations. One of their primary drivers is the promise that regularly using ‘’sub-threshold’’ (‘’won’t get you high’’) amounts of psychedelic substances – will enhance cognition and memory2 Indeed, members of online microdosing hubs (e.g. Reddit, TheThirdWave) enthusiastically report positive effects related to their cognitive performance and creativity. Scientists refer to these benefits collectively as nootropic effects. Others are more focused on the mental health and well-being benefits: users with depression and anxiety claim microdosing helps with their symptoms, and healthy users report it helps put them in a more positive mood.

The true cognitive benefits of microdosing remain elusive, however, as microdosers worldwide turn a blind eye to the limited yet growing body of evidence against their claims. This lack of clarity is compounded by researchers who simultaneously emphasise the novelty and the limitations of their work. While there have been around a dozen published studies in the past couple of years that examine the many supposed benefits of microdosing,3 it is not uncommon for researchers to claim theirs is the
first of its kind. They will also commonly state that while they find no difference between placebo pills and microdoses, these results are preliminary, and they need more research before they are certain that microdosing truly has no performance-enhancing effects. When will this moment of certainty come?

Notes from the researchers: The 4th Interdisciplinary Conference on Psychedelic Research

The recent virtual conference ICPR2020 provided important insights into the latest psychedelic research trends. With a variety of speakers covering topics ranging from philosophy to neuroscience to politics, the September conference provided participants with a holistic, level-headed view of all the newest research.

ICPR2020 proved once again how important microdosing has become in the psychedelic science community: the conference accorded it two whole sections and five separate lectures. True to the ‘’interdisciplinary’’ tag in the conference title, these talks ranged from fundamental biological research examining the pharmacology of microdosing (Tobias Buchborn from Imperial College London) to psychology-based studies examining the influence of microdosing on artistic and aesthetic sensibilities (Michiel Van Elk, PhD, from Leiden University).

The remaining three speakers presenting microdosing-related work were Nadia Hutten, PhD, from Maastricht University, Neiloufar Family, PhD, from Eleusis Ltd, and Balazs Szigeti, PhD, from Imperial College London. All three of them showed results pertaining to the effects of microdosing on both well-being and cognition. Szigeti and his group have a paper in preparation, while the Eleusis and Maastricht studies were recently published. 4,5

Microdosing study design

In order to understand the results, it’s important to understand the methodology of these studies and the similarities and differences in their experimental setup. Importantly, the Maastricht University and Eleusis studies involved microdosing LSD in a clinical setting, while the Imperial study was surveying at-home microdosers (using any sort of psychedelic, but most commonly LSD and psilocybin), albeit with an innovative twist. Additionally, Maastricht researchers followed the acute effects of psilocybin microdoses for up to 8 hours after ingestion, while the other two studies followed participants for a month. In these month-long studies, microdosing schedules were based on the protocol that popularised microdosing in the first place, stemming from James Fadiman’s 2011 book ‘’The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide.’’6 According to this protocol, microdoses of LSD or psilocybin are taken every 3 days for a month.

The laboratory setting imposes limitations on sample size, so the Maastricht and Eleusis studies were done with under 50 participants, while Szigeti’s remote, self-blinding study had no such limitations and included almost 200 microdosers. This would make it, with certain disclaimers, the largest placebo-controlled microdosing study to date.

Comparing these studies is further complicated by differences in setting, number and age of participants (20-somethings in Maastricht, 60-somethings at Eleusis), and the cognitive parameters that were measured. All three studies looked at participants’ attention spans and measured their reaction times, but Eleusis and Imperial added some visual and spatial memory tests. The Imperial study measured the most cognitive parameters, with additional tasks that tested deductive reasoning, spatial planning, and mental rotation.

Microdosing research limitations

‘’Set and setting’’ has been a traditionally important phrase in psychedelic science, referring to the phenomenon that the mindset and the circumstances in which people take psychedelic drugs will influence their effects. This is well-known and applied in high-dose psychedelic research: participants in the famous psilocybin cancer trials, for example, got to have their psychedelic experiences in a “lab” mimicking a cosy living room.7 This gives some assurance that the experience won’t be negatively affected by the subtle discomfort people often feel in overtly clinical atmospheres.

When it comes to microdosing, however, giving the lab a makeover may not suffice. Most of the anecdotally claimed benefits of microdosing become most apparent in the long run, as people are just living their lives. Will they get better at work and problem-solving? Will they start more creative endeavours? Will their relationships prosper? These are not things researchers are able to gauge when they have participants come to their lab. Spending the whole day in the lab, having taken only a ‘’sub-threshold’’ dose of a drug, might even put people in a slightly agitated mood that could tamper with their well-being and cognition. Still, a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial is the gold standard for any pharmacological study, especially for those involving mind-altering substances. These studies allow us to distinguish the mind’s intrinsic suggestibility from the physiological effects of the drug and are, therefore, indispensable.

Before it was possible to conduct rigorous, placebo-controlled studies with psychedelics, the only way to find out about participants’ microdosing experiences was the humble questionnaire.3 In the Imperial self-blinding study, Szigeti and colleagues elevated the classic online survey to a placebo-controlled form. Instead of collecting data post-hoc, the researchers asked their at-home microdosing participants to carefully organise a month’s worth of microdoses in capsules and place the unlabeled capsules in envelopes marked only with QR codes. They also needed to prepare an equal number of QR code-labelled envelopes with empty, placebo capsules. They then had to shuffle all the envelopes, randomly pick out half of them for a month’s worth of use, and send the researchers the QR codes. This way the researchers knew, based on the QR codes, whether the participants were taking a microdose or a placebo, while the participants themselves were none the wiser.

The most prominent limitation of the self-blinding study is that it relies on the participants procuring their own LSD or psilocybin for the study, meaning there’s no way to tell what amount they’re actually taking and whether the substances are pure. The effects of this limitation, however, are largely alleviated by the large sample (191 participants completed the study, compared to 20-50 in the lab-based studies). Most importantly, the self-blinding study design has a major advantage, allowing us a glimpse into the effects of microdosing in a natural, everyday setting, while also providing a placebo control.

Nootropics

The reported nootropic effects of microdosing are manifold: improvements in concentration, creativity, spiritual awareness, productivity, language, and visual capabilities8. So, did these claims hold up when put to the test in the lab (in the Eleusis and Maastricht study) and in a placebo-controlled at-home setting (Imperial College)?

Briefly: no.

None of the three placebo-controlled studies presented at the ICPR2020 conference found a significant difference in cognitive performance between the placebo control and the microdoses of LSD or psilocybin. In the self-blinding study from Imperial, there was no difference in cognitive ability when participants took microdoses, neither acutely (2-5h after ingesting the pill), nor at the end of the four-week regimen. The researchers did, however, find a significant susceptibility to the placebo effect. They asked their microdosers an important question: “Do you think you’ve taken a microdose?”

When the participants thought they had taken a microdose, whether or not the pill was actually a placebo, they felt a greater sense of well-being, more mindful, and more satisfied with their lives. Presented with a placebo, the mind can ‘’cheat’’ thoughts and moods, but it can’t cheat a cognitive test: whether or not they thought they had taken a performance-enhancing drug, and whether or not they’d actually taken one, the participants’ test scores remained the same.

But the scientists weren’t convinced. Balazs Szigeti, the lead researcher in the self-blinding study, suspects that if microdosing had such wide-ranging positive effects like people anecdotally claim, they should have been seen in such a large sample. Still, he doesn’t exclude the possibility that further research might uncover small, specific positive effects. For example, the researchers in Maastricht found that microdosing can be beneficial for sustained attention – though while this result is promising, the study from Eleusis showed no increase in performance on a similar attention test. In another example of potential specific effects, the self-blinding study results show a slight, but statistically insignificant trend towards increased capability for mental rotation. ‘’More studies should reproduce our findings before a firm conclusion could be reached, but in my opinion, the cognitive benefits of microdosing do not look promising," concludes Szigeti.

Taken together, all the findings from ICPR2020 might lead recreational microdosers to ask themselves: ‘’Am I performing better, or do I just think I am?’’

The clinical potential of microdosing

The unglamorous truth is, research to date has shown that the best, most reliable nootropic is… cardiovascular exercise.9 Different drugs that supposedly boost your brain have come in and out of style. Modafinil, the most popular one, was even proven to be mildly effective at enhancing attention and memory, particularly in performing complex tasks.10 But none of the nootropics’ effects are even remotely close to ‘’unlocking the full potential of the human brain’’ in the way depicted in the movie Limitless. Psychedelics are no exception.

While it may not significantly alter cognitive performance, microdosing might still be beneficial for the brain in other ways. Nadia Hutten’s research at Maastricht University demonstrated that microdosing does lead to acute increases in BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor), a molecule important for neuroplasticity.11 And at Eleusis Ltd, Neiloufar Family researches how microdosing might prove helpful in treating early Alzheimer’s disease. Her clinical research is led by the hypothesis that low doses of LSD can increase BDNF signalling and thus increase neuroplasticity, which would help protect the ageing brain from decay.

This is not even the only mechanism through which LSD microdoses could act as neuroprotectants. Drugs that act on the serotonin 5HT-2A receptor, including LSD, have proven anti-inflammatory effects, and neuroinflammation is strongly implicated in Alzheimer’s pathology. When asked to comment on performance-enhancing effects, Neiloufar Family says, ‘’I am not concerned that LSD did not have a nootropic effect on healthy adults, because a nootropic effect in a healthy population is not necessary for a drug that otherwise has a therapeutic effect in a patient. If you look at other drugs that help with cognition, like atomoxetine for ADHD, it doesn’t have nootropic effects in healthy people but is effective in treating ADHD.’’

The future of microdosing research

As the popularity of microdosing increases, the psychedelic research community needs to prioritise conclusively answering one more question: is it safe in the long run? Research conducted thus far looked at participants’ health for brief periods of up to a month at a time, but people in internet microdosing hubs sometimes promote daily use of low doses of psychedelics over months and years. Acute adverse effects are rare and include occasional increases in anxiety and restlessness (common contraindications of stimulants), but long-term adverse effects are virtually unknown.

When thinking about long-term effects, it is wise to take note of the case of fen-phen (fenfluramine), a popular weight loss drug in the 90s that turned out to come with significant cardiac risks. Fen-phen can lead to heart disease by acting on its primary target, the 5HT-2B receptor.12 Most psychedelic drugs have the 5HT-2A receptor as their primary target, but they are not completely specific and can activate the 5HT-2B as well. Does that mean chronic microdosing over many months and years, can lead to negative cardiac outcomes? More research is needed.

We still don’t know if microdosing can significantly improve brain health, or if the reported emotional well-being benefits are based entirely on the placebo effect, or if doing it for months or years at a time can damage your heart. When it comes to the nootropic benefits, the evidence so far suggests the effects are insignificant. Further research is in the works as Balazs Szigeti’s self-blinding study at Imperial enters its second phase, and the Beckley/Maastricht Research Programme starts a new study using neuroimaging tools to investigate the effects of repeated microdoses more closely and objectively.

These new studies could lead to establishing the mechanisms of how microdosing can make our brains healthier and more resilient to ageing. But from what we have seen so far, they could also strengthen the case against microdosing for superhuman cognitive abilities. In the scientific exploration of the benefits of psychedelics, wanting both a psychologically and neurologically transformative experience at a high dose and a biohack from a microdose might simply be too much to ask.

Last edited:
MonumentsignBIMHeb.jpg

Microdosing found to boost mood and mental acuity, study*

University of California, Davis | March 4, 2019

The growing popularity of microdosing is based on anecdotal reports of its benefits. Now, a study in rats by researchers at the University of California, Davis suggests microdosing can provide relief for symptoms of depression and anxiety, but also found potential negative effects. The work is published March 4 in the journal ACS Chemical Neuroscience.

"Prior to our study, essentially nothing was known about the effects of psychedelic microdosing on animal behaviors," said David Olson, assistant professor in the UC Davis departments of Chemistry and of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, who leads the research team. "This is the first time anyone has demonstrated in animals that psychedelic microdosing might actually have some beneficial effects, particularly for depression or anxiety. It's exciting, but the potentially adverse changes in neuronal structure and metabolism that we observe emphasize the need for additional studies."

Testing microdosing claims

Olson's group microdosed male and female rats with DMT, short for N,N-dimethyltryptamine. A psychedelic compound found in ayahuasca tea, DMT's molecular structure is embedded within the structures of popular microdosing drugs such as LSD and psilocybin. The researchers administered one-tenth of the estimated hallucinogenic dose in rats (1 milligram per kilogram of body weight) every third day for two months. Although there is no well-established definition of what constitutes a microdose, people who microdose tend to follow a similar schedule, taking one-tenth of a "trip" dose every three days. The rats were treated for two weeks before beginning behavioral tests relevant to mood, anxiety and cognitive function, and tests were completed during the two-day period between doses.

Olson's group found DMT microdosing helped rats to overcome a "fear response" in a test considered to be a model of anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in humans. The researchers also documented reduced immobility in an experiment that measures the effectiveness of antidepressant compounds. Less immobility is associated with antidepressant effects. In tests of cognitive function and sociability, the UC Davis researchers did not find any obvious impairments or improvements, which contrasts with human anecdotal reports.

Potential risks

The team documented some potential risks: the dosing regimen significantly increased bodyweight in male rats, for example. It also caused neuronal atrophy in female rats. The latter change was unexpected, as previously Olson's group reported that rats treated with a single high dose of DMT showed increased neuronal growth. "The results suggest an acute hallucinogenic dose and chronic, intermittent low doses of DMT produce very different biochemical and structural phenotypes," Olson said.

Despite the potential adverse effects of microdosing, the findings mean that it's possible to decouple the hallucinogenic effects from the therapeutic properties of these compounds.

"Our study demonstrates that psychedelics can produce beneficial behavioral effects without drastically altering perception, which is a critical step towards producing viable medicines inspired by these compounds," Olson said.

Last edited:
San-Pedro-in-flower-Hummingbird-Retreat.jpg

Microdosing Huachuma cactus vs. magic mushrooms

by EntheoNation

Currently taking the world by storm, microdosing is the art of ingesting sub-perceptual doses of psychedelic substances. It is revolutionizing the world of mental health and allowing creatives to flow easier into the pools of deep work and accomplishment.

The idea is not to get high, but to take the ideal small amount of a psychedelic without noticing any changes to the perceptual field. Made popular by psychedelic research James Fadiman, his book “The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide” introduced the concept to the mainstream and it has been on an uptrend ever since.

More and more research is surfacing that supports the idea that psychedelics are truly magical medicines that are freeing thousands of people from the shackles of mental health problems and addiction.

While few studies have been completed on microdosing itself, hoards of anecdotal evidence points to the efficacy of the practice, inspiring hundreds of newcomers to take up microdosing routines each and every day.

However, as more and more people flock to the practice, they are left wondering: what is the right psychedelic to microdose, where do I start? There are a handful of psychedelics that people like to utilize and today we’ll be discussing two of the most popular naturally derived plant-medicines and the pros and cons of microdosing each.

What is Huachuma?

Kicking off our duo is a large columnar cactus native to South America. Used for thousands of years by multiple cultures, Huachuma or “San Pedro” is a potent mescaline cactus that can produce a powerful psychedelic experience.

It has been utilized in shamanic cultures to treat a plethora of ailments, including those that still plague us today – addiction, depression, and anxiety have all been treated successfully with the use of this mystical cactus. Its collection of psychoactive alkaloids is also known to open the mind and induce spiritual experiences and epiphanies.

The Huachuma cactus attracts people all around the world who arrive in South American countries each and every year just to have ceremonial experiences with it and other South American plant-medicines such as ayahuasca and yopo. Known best for its benefits from these larger “macrodoses,” it is now gaining popularity in the microdosing community as well.

Microdosing Huachuma

Microdosing Huachuma can provide you all the amazing benefits of the medicine, without having to dish out money for hefty plane tickets and prevents the need to partake in larger ceremonies. Microdosing is a safe, accessible and easy way to introduce yourself to the magic of this cactus with little risk or worry.

Here are some more of its therapeutic benefits and associated risks.

The potential benefits of microdosing Huachuma:
  • Can increase energy levels and promote vitality​
  • Improvements in cognitive function​
  • Has adaptogenic qualities​
  • Can reduce addictive tendencies and cravings​
  • Deepens connection to spiritual practice​
  • Improves endurance​
  • Can decrease negative emotions – depression & anxiety​
  • Inspires introspection​
  • Connects one to the natural world​

The risks of microdosing Huachuma:

• Legality issues​
  • Mescaline is a vasoconstrictor (constricts the flow of blood and elevates blood pressure). Those with cardiovascular issues should avoid.​
  • Pregnant women and those planning should avoid taking Huachuma.​
  • Never mix with alcohol or other substances (can be taxing on the liver).​
  • Be wary of MAOIs & SSRIs in combination with Huachuma (always check with your healthcare provider).​
  • Amplifying effect (may exasperate underlying conditions such as anxiety).​
What are magic mushrooms?

Next in line comes a psychedelic hall-of-famer! Magic mushrooms (also called psilocybin mushrooms) have been an iconic symbol of the psychedelic community for decades. Made popular in the 1960s, they were originally introduced to Western culture by Mexican healer Maria Sabina when she shared the practice with Gordon Wasson, former vice-president of J.P. Morgan and self-proclaimed explorer. He was the first known Westerner to consume the magical fungi and brought the knowledge to light when he published an article in a 1955 issue of Life magazine.

However fresh to mainstream society, Central American cultures such as the Mazatec, Mixtec, Nauhua and Zapatec peoples have been using these mushrooms in sacred rituals for millennia. Known to grow all over the world, psilocybin mushrooms take the user on a mystical journey of transformation. Much like Huachuma, they are known to heal a number of disorders including depression, PTSD, and OCD.

Adopted into the microdosing community, these mushrooms are amongst the most widely used substances in the practice.

Microdosing magic mushrooms

As previously mentioned, magic mushrooms are the one of the most popular microdosed plant medicines. They have been at the forefront of the microdosing movement. Next to LSD, it is easily the most popular. Much like Huachuma, microdosing mushrooms can much of the benefits without having to commit to an hallucinogenic experience. They are known to help with a plethora of ailments and are considered one of the safest psychoactive substances in the world. Here are some of the most reported benefits of microdosing psilocybin mushrooms and the risks associated.

The potential benefits of microdosing magic mushrooms:
  • Potentially helps build new neural pathways​
  • Can alleviate anxiety & depression​
  • Improvements in cognitive function​
  • Increased levels of focus​
  • Induces flow state​
  • Higher levels of energy​
  • Can reduce symptoms of PTSD, ADHD, & OCD​
  • Can alleviate symptoms of PMS​

The risks of microdosing magic mushrooms:

• Legality issues​
  • Pregnant and planning should avoid​
  • Amplifying effect (May exacerbate anxiety & other underlying conditions)​
  • May interact with MAOIs & SSRI medications (check with your healthcare provider!)​
Huachuma vs. magic mushrooms: Which to microdose?

So that begs the question… Which one is right for me? They carry a lot of the same benefits and are both relatively safe to microdose. It can really be tough to pinpoint which medicine is more appropriate for your lifestyle, needs, and circumstances. It really boils down to what you’re looking to achieve. Huachuma is known for its ability to boost energy levels and increase endurance. Mushrooms are easily accessible and can be grown quickly at home. Below we’ll dive into some of the pros and cons of microdosing each of these powerful plant medicines.

Pros of microdosing Huachuma cactus
  • Known for its ability to increase energy & endurance (excellent for those who need an extra kick in the morning)​
  • Is a popular ornamental cactus and can be found in garden centres and at floral shops​
  • Takes some time, but it can be grown at home with enough sunlight​
  • Has a selection of other beneficial alkaloids other than mescaline (anhalonidine, trichocerine, tyramine, hordenine, and a number of other phenethylamines)​
  • Can connect you to South American shamanic practices​

Cons of microdosing Huachuma cactus

• Can be harder to find​
  • Fewer studies have been done​
  • Can be taxing on the liver (rare in microdosing)​
  • Is more expensive than mushrooms & other plant medicines​
  • Takes longer to grow​
  • Can cause nausea​
  • Have to consume a larger amount (microdose starts at 3 grams)​
  • Can be overstimulating for some​
  • Legality issues​
  • Can make anxiety worse​
Pros of microdosing magic mushrooms
  • More readily accessible​
  • More studies have been completed​
  • Much more affordable than other plant medicines​
  • Can be easily grown at home with a little research and a few supplies​
  • Don’t have to consume a large amount (microdose starts at .1 of a gram)​
  • Is not taxing on the body​
Cons of mcrodosing magic mushrooms
  • Legality issues​
  • May exacerbate anxiety & other conditions​
  • Can cause nausea​
Conclusion

It’s going to take some thought and consideration to choose which plant medicine is appropriate for your lifestyle and needs. Huachuma is a clear winner if you’re looking for an endurance boost and an increase in energy. Mushrooms will be the choice if you want something readily accessible that has been thoroughly studied. It really boils down to what you need and if it’s available in your region. Of course, legality is always something to keep in mind when dabbling with these plants and fungi, so be sure to weigh out the risks very carefully before diving into any microdosing regimen.

If you you want to learn more about these tools and how you to get started with a more in depth analysis of the microdosing process, check out one of our helpful guides:

Microdosing Huachuma
Seeker’s Guide to Microdosing Magic Mushrooms
Seeker’s Guide to Microdosing Ayahuasca
About EntheoNation

EntheoNation – the process of awakening the Divine within. Entheo Nation – a global tribe of visionary people living life at the cutting edge of awakening. EntheoNation is a web show featuring visionaries pioneering the cutting-edge of awakening through psychedelic science, modern shamanism, & new paradigm lifestyles. Our vision is an environmentally sustainable, socially-just, spiritually-fulfilling, and evolved human presence on this planet, one that integrates ancient wisdom, with modern times.

hawaiian-baby-woodrose-13-semillas.jpg

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds

Microdosing LSA

by Anna Wilcox | DoubleBlind | 24 Feb 2021

Microdosing LSA—like microdosing, in general—is growing in popularity, but we don’t know much about it.

By now, most people are familiar with Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)—acid is one of the most famous psychedelic drugs in the world. Far fewer are familiar, though, with acid’s mild-mannered cousin, D-lysergic acid amide (LSA). LSA, also known as ergine, is sometimes referred to as “the natural LSD.” The psychedelic compound is found in the seeds of specific morning glory varieties and the Hawaiian baby woodrose plant. Both plants have a long history of indigenous use. Yet, in the West, they’re making headlines for a novel practice: microdosing LSA.

Can you microdose LSA?

Microdosing is a practice primarily popularized by psychologist and psychedelic drug expert James Fadiman, who wrote about it in his book, The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide. While Fadiman may be the first person to speak loudly about microdosing, the practice itself didn’t begin with him. People throughout history have used small amounts of psychoactive substances in both medicinal and spiritual traditions.

In contemporary terms, microdosing is the practice of taking a subthreshold dose of a psychoactive compound. Usually, a microdose is about 1/20 to 1/10 of a standard dose, small enough to avoid the onset of a psychedelic experience. Microdosing LSD and microdosing shrooms is the most common. Yet, microdosing other psychedelics, like LSA, is growing in popularity—you can microdose LSA, just as you can most other psychoactive substances.

But, here’s the catch: we know very little about the benefits of microdosing LSA nor its risks. At the time of writing, there is no clinical research that explores the safety of microdosing LSA. Popular demand and interest exceed rigorous scientific study on the topic. Yet, there is some positive news: as microdosing gains popularity, researchers are paying attention.

An observational study published in 2017 found that LSA consumption reduced the severity and frequency of cluster headaches in people who reported self-administering the drug. Early research on psychedelic microdosing has also found that microdosing is potentially associated with enhanced creative thinking, improved mood, stress reduction, and improved focus. Yet, these studies are small compared to the comprehensive research needed to build legitimacy for the potential benefits of LSA and psychedelics in the eyes of health authorities like the Food and Drug Administration and World Health Organization.

How to take Morning Glory & Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds

Morning glory (Ipomoea tricolor) and Hawaiian baby woodrose (Argyreia nervosa)

Safe sourcing remains one of the biggest problems with taking morning glory (Ipomoea tricolor) and Hawaiian baby woodrose (Argyreia nervosa) seeds. Commercial seeds are sometimes treated with toxic chemical compounds, which can cause harmful side effects when consumed. So, before taking LSA-containing seeds, it’s imperative to investigate your source and confirm that they are untreated, a process that is difficult to do given the plants’ quasi-illicit nature.

After safely sourcing seeds, there are three primary ways that most psychonauts take them. The first way? Eating them, very slowly. In Microdosing Psychedelics, Paul Austin recommends chewing seeds for up to 20 minutes before letting the seed rest under their tongue for continued absorption. After a while, many consumers either swallow the seed or spit it out.

The next method, grinding, is perhaps more common for those consuming more than one seed. In Legally Stoned, Thies recommends grinding untreated morning glory and Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds with a coffee or electronic herb grinder. The ground seed is then added to a food or a drink, like juice or ice cream. Finally, many consumers perform simple water extractions to avoid eating the seeds altogether. But, extracting LSA is illegal while eating seeds is not—with the caveat that seeds may potentially cause more physical side effects.

How much is a Morning Glory microdose?

Between five and fifteen seeds constitutes a microdose of morning glory seeds. For a full dose, most consumers take between eighteen to thirty-six seeds, if not more. However, the more seeds you eat, the more likely you will experience stomach upset, gastrointestinal distress, and other uncomfortable side effects—apart from increased heart rate and hallucinations after overdosing on morning glory seeds, gastrointestinal distress is of the reasons why people call poison control after eating morning glory.

How much is a Hawaiian Baby Woodrose microdose?

Just one seed of Hawaiian baby wood rose is often enough for a microdose (!)

Hawaiian baby woodrose contains more LSA than morning glory. It’s also the more popular choice amongst psychonauts. Just one seed is often enough for a microdose. It may even be too much in some cases—it’s not uncommon for consumers to eat just ⅓ of a seed. For those that are more adventurous, three seeds are on the high end of the microdosing spectrum. Six to 12 seeds constitute a full dose.*

*MIND - Even 4 HBW seeds can be VERY powerful depending on the batch, so far better to start small, and carefully increase the number of seeds ! -pb

How much in an LSA microdose?

Most psychonauts consume LSA by eating seeds or creating simple seed extracts. It’s more difficult, although not impossible, to procure isolated LSA itself. Isolated LSA is a Schedule III controlled substance in the United States, which means that its access is restricted for the general population. Those caught selling and manufacturing LSA can face criminal charges. However, some brave souls extract LSA from seeds themselves and sell it illicitly, similarly to LSD. A microdose of isolated LSA is between 0.1 and 0.5 milligrams. A standard dose is between two and five milligrams. A typical microdose is between 1/20 and 1/10 of a usual dose.

Can you microdose LSA daily?

Microdosing in the Western world is a novel concept. So, anyone interested in experimenting is bound to have questions—is it safe to microdose LSA daily? What are the benefits of microdosing LSA daily? Unfortunately, however, at the time of writing, it’s impossible to give conclusive answers. There is absolutely no quality scientific research that looks into the short and long-term effects of microdosing LSA. (In fact, there’s no quality scientific research, in general, looking at the long-term effects of microdosing.) There is no set standard for how often it is safe to microdose Hawaiian baby woodrose nor microdosing morning glory seed.

Instead, many microdosers follow James Fadiman’s guidance, who recommends limiting microdosing to every three days to avoid developing tolerance to the psychedelic compounds. But, Fadiman also recommends limiting microdosing regimens to no longer than one month. These recommendations are based on his experience as a psychologist and expert in psychedelic drugs, not large-scale clinical trials.

We do know that ergine (LSA) can cause vasoconstriction, meaning that it tightens blood vessels and potentially affects blood flow and body temperature, especially when consumed via seeds that have not been extracted. This means that LSA may be risky for those with pre-existing heart conditions or high blood pressure. At this time, it’s unclear whether or not the vasoconstrictive properties of LSA can cause side effects if consumed regularly or over a long-term time span—even in a microdose.

As mentioned above, there are no clinical trials that give definitive answers to how much you should microdose or how often; health authorities know very little about microdosing psychedelics at all. It’s also important to note that Fadiman’s advice is about psychedelics in general, not morning glory seeds or LSA. Microdosing LSA may be associated with risks that are distinct from other psychedelics—only time and more rigorous scientific research will tell whether or not this practice is safe.

Microdosing LSA vs. LSD

There are three primary things to note about microdosing LSD versus microdosing LSA. First, there is far more research on microdosing LSD than LSA, which makes understanding their ultimate differences quite tricky, if not impossible at the present moment. Second, LSA is generally considered less potent than LSD. A microdose of LSD is 15 micrograms or less. A microdose of LSA would be comparable to 100 to 200 micrograms.

Third, LSA is more accessible than LSD. Morning glory and Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds can be ordered online legally in many places, including most of the United States. Although, it’s always wise to research laws in your state or region before purchasing—in some states, like Arizona, some Morning glory is illegal to grow because it’s considered an invasive weed. Seeds are also illegal to sell.

Before buying, it’s also advisable to research whether or not seeds have been chemically treated. Seeds treated with pesticides or other adulterants that are toxic and harmful to consume. Finding safe seeds takes considerable research; it’s often hard to tell whether or not your seeds are truly safe and untreated when purchasing online due to a lack of regulation and oversight.
Early research on psychedelic microdosing has found that microdosing is potentially associated with enhanced creative thinking, improved mood, stress reduction, and improved focus. Research on microdosing LSA, however, remains scant.

In terms of the overall difference between LSD and LSA, perhaps an experiential anecdote is best. In their book Legally Stoned, Todd Thies, Ph.D., interviews a person about their experience after taking 11 Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds, which is a standard, if not high, dose. They recall:

“‘I have tried LSD twice before and I was expecting a similar, but less intense experience. That was pretty much what I got. It was also a more pleasant experience. I think it was better than LSD.’”

The interviewee describes seeing lights “coming at” them from the television after consuming ergot, much like visual distortions that occur with LSD. Those who microdose correctly, however, will likely not have such profound or noticeable visual experiences.

Microdosing LSA side effects

The current research on microdosing LSA leaves much to be desired. What are the long-term effects of microdosing? What are the potential side effects of eating one Hawaiian baby woodrose seed a day? Does microdosing help or harm mental health—or neither? Research on microdosing psychedelics is still in its infancy, much like the whole of psychedelic research itself.

Decades of legally mandated drug prohibition means that the scientific community has limited ability to research the potential benefits and risks of microdosing. However, LSA is less restricted than its more famous counterparts. Still, it’s ultimately consumers who pay the price for the current lack of quality information. What follows is a simple, yet likely incomplete, summary of the potential risks of microdosing LSA:

Anxiety & mental health effects

Anxiety is a side effect of microdosing LSA—at least, according to anecdotal reports. The critical point of a microdose is to take a subthreshold dose, a dose that does not cause a “high” or a “trip.” Despite the intention, however, LSA is still psychedelic. Medical researchers still do not know much about the compound and its long-term health effects. So, anxiety and other mental health issues are still considered potential side effects. Indeed, a 2019 PLOS One study of 98 participants found that microdosing psychedelics was associated with a slight increase in neuroticism.

Nausea, vomiting, & gastrointestinal distress

Nausea, vomiting, and gas are probably three of the most unpleasant physical side effects noted by LSA consumers. This may be partly due to contaminated seeds. Seeds purchased in a typical garden store are often treated with a chemical that can induce nausea if consumed, an attempt to discourage the recreational consumption of morning glory and Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds.

But, nausea is common even amongst those who manage to procure untreated seeds online successfully. Incidentally, nausea may also be one reason why many consumers combine psychedelics with cannabis, a known anti-emetic.

Microdosing LSA: side effects unknown

Many consumers perceive microdosing as safe because of the small dosage size—if large doses of psychedelics are considered relatively safe, tiny amounts should be too, right? Well, the truth is, we don’t know. What we do know is that generally speaking, psychedelics are considered non-addictive. Further, large-scale population studies haven’t found correlations between psychedelic drug use and negative mental health outcomes.

But, here’s the catch—the frequency of the dose may make the difference, as well as how long a person decides to microdose. Psychedelics are not like cigarettes or alcohol, which some people consume every day. Instead, the psychedelic experience’s intensity means that consumers use them fairly infrequently, at least when enjoying the standard dose. However, it is possible that taking a microdose of a psychedelic on the regular—say every day or every third day—may come with risks that the scientific community has yet to discover. Nevertheless, the opposite outcome may also be right: microdosing may be as safe, if not safer, than taking a standard dose of a psychedelic—or regularly taking currently available treatments for depression such as SSRIs. The truth is, we just don’t know. Whenever there is no clear answer, there is always risk.

Side effects (full dose)

Be warned: eating morning glory or Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds can make for a rough trip. Microdosing ergine often means taking as little as one single seed, an amount so small that it produces no perceptible intoxication. But, many people do eat morning glory seeds in search of a psychedelic experience—and sometimes with great side effects.

Gastrointestinal pain, diarrhea, gas, and bloating are some of the primary side effects of eating Morning Glory and Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds. These side effects can be so uncomfortable that they overshadow the psychedelic experience. In addition, some consumers report intense muscle cramping, which can be frightening and quite painful. All of these side effects can intensify with an overdose of these seeds, which happens when consumers eat or incorrectly prepare entire packets of—potentially chemically treated—seeds in search of a psychedelic experience. Other side effects include increased heart rate, headache, and flu-like symptoms.

Eating seeds to achieve a psychedelic experience is very different from consuming extract or purified LSA. Both morning glory and Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds feature a hard outer shell and contain a variety of botanical chemicals, not just LSA. To the human body, morning glory seeds are very difficult to digest; these aren’t almonds or hulled hemp seeds, morning glory is not domesticated as a snack food.

Morning glory and Hawaiian baby woodrose seed may also be stressful for the human liver and kidneys, the primary organs responsible for removing toxins from the human body. The potential toxicity of morning glory seeds has been examined in the context of Chinese traditional medicine. A 2010 study, for example, found that long-term use of morning glory seed was associated with renal damage in rats. The study used the species Ipomoea nil and Ipomoea purpurea. Other research attempted to discern whether or not this toxicity is caused by ethanol extraction of morning glory seed, which are distinct from water-based extracts.

The bottom line? Although many consumers use LSA for its psychoactive qualities, the physical side effects of consuming whole seeds sometimes outweigh the psychedelic experience. Microdosing may avoid these physical side effects, but we really have very little information about the long-term use of ergine. At the time of writing, it’s impossible to report on conclusive benefits or risks to this now trending practice.

Last edited:
microdose_mdma.jpg

Can You Microdose MDMA?

by Amelia Walsh & Dr. Lynn Marie Morski, MD, Esq | PSYCHABLE

As microdosing becomes increasingly popular, more and more questions arise about the practice and its potential influence on mood, creativity, and productivity.

Information is abundant in media and community forums regarding microdosing psychoactive substances such as LSD and psilocybin. MDMA, while sometimes regarded as psychedelic, is hardly mentioned despite the increasing number of research efforts surrounding its benefit for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Here is what is both unknown and known that can help inform decisions about microdosing MDMA.
-----------------------------------------------------------------​

MDMA (4-Methylenedioxy-methamphetamine) is a psychoactive substance that produces the effects of both stimulant and psychedelic drugs at the same time.

It was first synthesized in 1912 while developing a different pharmaceutical and was subsequently patented by Merck in 1914 for its potential as a medicine. MDMA was used for a short time by psychiatrists in therapy sessions before being banned in 1985 amidst concerns about the increasing rate of recreational abuse during what was called the ‘War on Drugs.’

In its pure, therapeutic-grade form, MDMA is different from the street drug referred to as ecstasy or molly. Although the term molly was coined to reference MDMA in a pure, crystalline molecular state, both of these street drugs are nearly always adulterated with other substances and may not contain any traces of MDMA whatsoever.

MDMA functions by activating a release of serotonin in the brain and temporarily blocking reuptake, usually resulting in a state characterized by euphoria, social openness, and a sensation of emotional well-being. It is called an empathogen due to increased awareness of and connection to others it tends to facilitate. MDMA also decreases activity in the amygdala, the brain’s fear center.

Studies are seeking to further understand the possible benefits of MDMA in the context of psychotherapy for PTSD, as well as treatment-resistant depression and counseling for fractured relationships.

Researchers conducting trials are hopeful that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy will pass Phase III Clinical Trials and become FDA-approved for use in supporting a variety of conditions in a more dynamic and effective way than currently available treatments.

Can you microdose MDMA?

Generally speaking, people who microdose psychoactive substances like psilocybin and LSD report doing so in hopes of achieving results like alleviating mental health symptoms, increasing focus, improving productivity, and feeling more emotionally connected to others (to name a few).

Because it is among a number of psychoactive substances that can produce positive effects, it might seem appealing for people casually familiar with MDMA to attempt self-medication through microdosing. However, there are legitimate reasons for the lack of dialogue in support of MDMA microdosing.

Studies involving MDMA have mostly focused on the potential benefits of a full dose taken three times or less and only during therapy sessions with a knowledgeable co-therapist team. The practice of microdosing has not been a focus of studies, making it difficult to discern dosing practices and optimal frequency of use, as well as to decide if microdosing MDMA is effective and safe. Due to the lack of research on small, regular doses, it simply isn’t known if or how microdosing MDMA can offer benefits.

Risks of microdosing MDMA

Taking psychedelic substances, regardless of dosage, carries with it a risk of adverse effects. While studies have indicated beneficial uses for MDMA-assisted psychotherapy administered with the guidance of a practitioner temporarily and infrequently, taking it too often has the potential to produce negative effects.

Taking MDMA routinely over time is known to increase tolerance levels, requiring a higher dosage to produce the desired effect.

Because MDMA is only available legally in a study setting and for limited purposes, many people take matters into their own hands and obtain the drug illegally. Known recreationally as ecstasy or molly, MDMA purchased underground for personal purposes is almost always adulterated. It is often lacking in any MDMA content whatsoever, containing a variety of other harmful substances that cause excitatory effects often mistaken for the experience an unsuspecting user anticipates from MDMA.

Physical responses like elevated heart rate and blood pressure are known results of MDMA use but might become dangerous depending on existing health risks, environment, or interactions with medications and other substances. MDMA increases body temperature which can pose a risk for hyperthermia. Diarrhea and dehydration can also occur.

MDMA is currently under review by the FDA for potential approval as a therapy for certain conditions, but it is currently a schedule 1 drug that is illegal for personal use. Producing MDMA is only permitted in a clinical setting for specific medical and research purposes.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
venice-7.jpg

Can microdosing make us more creative?

by Barbara Sahakian, Camilla D'angelo and George Savulich | The Conversation | 14 Feb 2017

It may seem like a doomed attempt to mix business and pleasure. But a growing number of young professionals in Silicon Valley insist that taking small doses of psychedelic drugs simply makes them perform better at work ? becoming more creative and focused. The practice, known as "microdosing," involves taking minute quantities of drugs such as LSD, psilocybin or mescaline every few days.

LSD is the most well-known psychedelic drug since its popularity in the heyday of 1960s counterculture. But perhaps somewhat surprisingly, Silicon Valley also has a long history of psychedelic drug use to boost creativity: technology stars Steve Jobs and Bill Gates both famously experimented with LSD.

At high doses, LSD powerfully alters perception, mood and a host of cognitive processes. LSD now appears to be one of the more commonly microdosed drugs. A microdose of LSD consists of about a tenth of a recreational dose (usually 10-20 micrograms), which is usually not potent enough to cause hallucinations. Instead, it is reported to heighten alertness, energy and creativity.

Microdosing LSD also purportedly enhances overall well-being, helping to reduce stress and anxiety while improving sleep and leading to healthier habits. Although a widely reported phenomenon in the media, the lack of scientific studies on microdosing makes the prevalence near impossible to estimate. Reports suggest that what started off as an underground practice in Silicon Valley may be spreading rapidly to other workplaces.

It is currently unknown how such low doses of psychedelics act in the brain to produce these intriguing self-reported effects on creativity. Like all classic hallucinogens, LSD produces its potent mind-altering effects primarily by mimicking the effects of the brain chemical serotonin, which regulates our mood. In particular, LSD activates 5-HT2A receptors in the pre-frontal cortex, which increases activity of the chemical glutamate in this region. Glutamate enables signals to be transmitted between nerve cells, and plays a role in learning and memory.

In humans, two distinct effects of recreational doses of LSD have been reported. Initially, people experience psychedelic and positive feelings of euphoria. This may be followed by a later phase characterised by paranoia or even a psychotic-like state. LSD at low doses may produce mood elevation and creativity, mediated by the serotonin-mimicking effects. Actions on both glutamate and serotonin may also act to improve learning and cognitive flexibility , necessary for creativity, in the workplace. These findings could partly help to explain the microdosing phenomenon.

Clinical evidence

Clinical research with psychedelics is currently undergoing a major revival after having been brought to a halt in the 1960s. One of the benefits of conducting research into psychedelics is their potential to help deepen our understanding of consciousness. In 2016, researchers from Imperial College London were the first to use brain scanning techniques to visualise how LSD alters the way the brain works. One key finding was that LSD had a disorganising influence on cortical activity, which permitted the brain to operate in a freer, less constrained manner than usual.

The results suggested that psychedelics increase communication between parts of the brain that are less likely to communicate with one another, and decrease communication between areas that frequently do. This likely underlies the profound altered state of consciousness that people often describe during an LSD experience. It is also related to what people sometimes call "ego-dissolution", in which the normal sense of self is broken down. People instead often report a sense of reconnection with themselves, others and the natural world.

The discovery that LSD and other psychedelic drugs induce a flexible state of mind may explain their reported extraordinary therapeutic benefits. For example, psilocybin has shown benefits in the treatment of tobacco and alcohol addiction, obsessive compulsive disorder and treatment-resistant major depression.

In a small pilot study, LSD in combination with psychological therapy also led to a slight improvement in anxiety experienced by terminally ill cancer patients. Many of these psychiatric disorders are characterized by inflexible, habitual patterns of brain activity. By introducing a disordered state of mind, LSD and other psychedelics may help to break these inflexible patterns.

Similarly, the unconstrained brain state induced by psychedelics may also help explain the reported increases in creativity. From the late 1950s until the early 1970s, a whole host of studies sought to determine if classic psychedelics could be useful for enhancing creativity. In the most notable of these studies, researchers found that LSD and mescaline could aid in creative problem-solving when used in carefully controlled settings. A recent study found that use of classic psychedelics is robustly associated with greater creative problem-solving ability.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-...on-valley.html

k9KEdywRvmei6yDyjAoS_Panacea_or_Placebo_copy.png

Microdosing Psilocybin and LSD*

by Aaron Salwan & Dr. Ben Malcolm | Spirit Pharmacist | 25 May 2021

The psychedelic world is buzzing with talk about microdosing.

Claims and reports that it can enhance performance, treat mental illness, or even heal physical ailments abound. Public and industry excitement around microdosing is quickly increasing. Given microdoses lack characteristic and alterations to consciousness of psychedelics and can be used without the time commitment of larger doses, it is understandably an appealing option as a therapeutic alternative.

But is it all hype or is there genuine hope for therapeutic application of microdosing?

There’s certainly plenty of ‘conflicting’ information or results available from studies of different methodologies. Here, we begin with an overview of what microdosing is, who does it, and for what purposes. We then review available evidence and summarize benefits and risks of microdosing. Finally, we get more practical and discuss microdosing regimens, measurement of accurate dosing, and ‘set and setting’ consideration to microdosing.

What is microdosing?

Microdosing psychedelics is a practice that involves frequently consuming low doses of psychedelics, primarily psilocybin or lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD). Microdosing has increased in the past decade, although anthropological evidence suggests use of low doses of psychedelics to increase stamina, improve hunting skills, or as aphrodisiacs has been a component of historical psychedelic use.

Resurgence of interest in microdosing is commonly credited to James Fadiman, who published The Psychedelic Explorer Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys in 2011. A true microdose is ‘sub-perceptual’, meaning persons should not feel psychoactive effects, however persons that microdose commonly observe acute mood enhancing or other effects. Commonly reported doses for microdosing range from 5-20mcg LSD and 0.05-0.3g (50-300mg) dried psilocybin-containing mushrooms.

cD9Fbb0ERCGXixRHE1IV_What_is_Microdosing_.png

Why are people microdosing?

There are many reasons why persons may attempt microdosing, although appears to be broadly divided into persons with psychiatric illness and ‘biohackers’.

Technology professionals in Silicon Valley popularized microdosing to enhance performance and creativity and perceive microdosing as a supplement to increase capacities beyond normal functioning (biohacking). At this stage, interest in microdosing for enhancing flexible cognition is increasing amongst college students as well as artists and musicians. In an open-label study that compared creativity-related problem solving amongst people who consumed microdoses of psilocybin-containing truffles, microdoses led to improvements in divergent thinking. This means their ability to develop many possible solutions to a loosely defined problem was increased. However, the authors did not find an improvement in fluid intelligence, suggesting that microdosing may improve creativity but not general cognition.

The other major population of persons currently experimenting with microdosing are those with psychiatric illnesses. For example, most persons who participated in studies of microdosing were living with depression, anxiety, or ADHD. These illnesses are usually managed with serotonin reuptake blocking antidepressants (e.g. SSRIs), although these medications are not effective in 10-30% of persons or are accompanied by bothersome side effects, leading some to seek alternatives. Moderate doses of psychedelics in clinically supervised settings (psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy) is accumulating substantial and solid evidence of benefit in several psychiatric conditions. Persons may perceive microdosing as safer and more convenient than use of higher doses due to avoidance of extreme psychological effects associated with intense psychedelic experiences. However, the amount we know about safety and benefits of microdosing is relatively little compared to psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy. From available information it appears psychedelic assisted psychotherapies provide robust and clinically meaningful improvements with a large effect size whereas microdosing provides modest effects if any.

How could microdosing produce effects?

The serotonin receptors psychedelics like psilocybin and LSD interact with are found in tissues throughout the body, giving rise to questions about the underlying mechanisms that could be at play in microdosing or psychedelic therapies in general. For example, psychedelics have been found to have potent anti-inflammatory effects as well as affecting the human microbiome. In neural tissues psychedelics have neuroplastic or neuroregenerative effects, although one may wonder if microdoses reach these tissues or are capable of producing significant effects at such low concentrations. Anecdotes of improvement in auto-immune, physical, and neurological illnesses have occurred with psychedelics. Different mechanisms may be more prominent at different doses or administration regimens of psychedelics, which is generating interest in use of microdosing psychedelics for non-psychiatric applications.

TK7v3Eo7QdKCbxvawgTg_How_Could_Microdosing_Produce_Effects_.png

Does microdosing work?

Plainly put, the jury is still out as to whether microdosing ‘works’ or not and the answer could be dependent on the regimen of administration and purpose of use. Some research suggests benefits, other studies suggest placebo effects. Limited laboratory studies have demonstrated biological effects of microdosing, yet whether this translates into therapeutic benefits remains to be seen. Given the infancy of research with microdosing overall, it is expected that over time it will be revealed that microdosing has benefits for specific applications while being ineffective or even hazardous for others, although for now little can be said conclusively.

Observational studies of microdosing

A systematic review evaluating the safety and benefits of microdosing psychedelics, including both observational and experimental studies, identified some trends in available data. The observational studies primarily consisted of online surveys. People in these studies report microdosing with LSD or psilocybin improved symptoms of depression, anxiety, PTSD, and ADHD and that psychedelics were better tolerated and more effective than conventional treatments. Along with improvements in mood and cognition, persons who microdose also reported improvement in health conditions such as pain severity and cluster headaches. Participants also reported a reduction in substance use, including caffeine, cannabis, alcohol, and tobacco. A large case series documenting anecdotes of persons that microdosed have even reported unexpected improvements in physical or neurological illnesses, such as migraine headaches, pre-menstrual symptoms, traumatic brain injury, and shingles amongst other conditions. However, these studies are often limited to surveys or user reports, do not feature placebo or control groups, and are largely composed of participants recruited from forums frequented by psychedelic enthusiasts, which can increase risks of bias or distort results. These preliminary observational studies of microdosing are important because it could identify promising applications for microdosing psychedelics, although is best taken with a serious grain of salt.

Laboratory and clinical studies of microdosing

A clinical trial exploring the subjective effects of small doses of LSD on twenty healthy volunteers found that 6.5mcg, 13mcg, or 26mcg of LSD neither improved mood or divergent thinking. Another study was able to identify a delay in participants time perception after receiving microdoses of LSD in the absence of subjective alterations of consciousness. This finding is significant because it demonstrates that LSD has pharmacological effects at low doses without causing psychoactive effects. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study of the effects of 5mcg, 10mcg, or 20mcg of LSD every four days for 21 days, there were no observable changes in cognition detected. Interestingly, they did find a positive linear relationship between dose and vigilance reduction based on ratings from the 5-Dimensional Altered States of Consciousness Rating Scale (5D-ASC). This scale is frequently used to characterize the subjective effects of various psychedellics. Statements related to a reduction in vigilance included “My thoughts and actions were slowed down” and “I felt sleepy”. Laboratory studies have also revealed physiological effects at low doses as it was found just 13mcg of LSD was enough to increase blood pressure.

Could microdosing be a placebo?

As the majority of data on the benefits of microdosing lacks a control group, the results could be explained by placebo effects. A recent study that employed novel self-blinding methodology instructed participants how to blind themselves by incorporating control doses into their normal microdosing routine. The results were suggestive of the placebo effect. The authors found that participants only experienced benefits from microdosing when they believed they had taken a microdose, regardless of ingesting the active drug or a placebo. Taking an actual microdose only altered ratings on the drug intensity scale which manifested as body and perceptual sensations. This means that participants could truly sense some effects of taking a microdose, although these effects were not relevant to therapeutically oriented outcomes.

Is microdosing safe?

Microdosing may have a perception of being safer than using full doses of psychedelic substances due to the lack of intense psychological effects characteristic of larger doses. However, it is unknown if microdosing psychedelics in a semi-chronic manner could carry physical or psychological risks as it is not a manner of psychedelic use that has been prevalent or studied in the past. The use of psychedelics amongst persons experiencing mental illness may carry unique risks compared to persons using psychedelics for ‘biohacking’ purposes. Like effectiveness, the jury is still out as to whether microdosing is ‘safe’ or not.

Side effects of microdosing

Participants experienced a variety of psychological side effects from microdosing. Adverse events reported included negative effects on mood (increased anxiety, sadness, irritability, worsening of depression), physical discomfort, cognitive impairment, insomnia, and impaired social skills. One study also identified an increased incidence of headaches in those receiving LSD compared to placebo. Insomnia and anxiety were the most frequently reported adverse effects, potentially related to ingesting too large of a dose. In clinical trials, it was found that participants who received 26mcg LSD, but not lower doses, experienced an increase in anxiety. These results were replicated in a different study conducted by the same authors.

5H7UC2ZXRQeXPiLphdPn_Benefits_and_Risks_of_Microdosing.png

Long term safety of microdosing

Long term side effects associated with microdosing are not currently understood and studies have been limited to weeks in duration so far. However, it is possible that continuous exposure to psychedelics like psilocybin or LSD which can stimulate 5HT2B receptors pose an increased risk for valvular heart disease. Common symptoms of valvular heart disease include shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue, rapid weight gain, or irregular heartbeat. Previous pharmacological options for weight loss acting on these receptors were withdrawn from the market as nearly 25% of patients taking these medications daily developed valvular heart disease. Worsened control of hypertension has not been reported in studies to date, although low doses of LSD (13 mcg) can increase blood pressures, which could carry safety implications for persons with cardiovascular illnesses.

Considerations for microdosing

It is hard to know ‘how to microdose?’ or ‘which microdosing regimen is best?’ at this point in time. There are certainly aspects of therapeutic microdosing that can be borrowed from psychedelic assisted psychotherapy that could enhance safety or benefit, and some reasonable cautions can minimize risks of psychological or physical harm. We’ll cover some practical questions and considerations one may consider when approaching microdosing now.

Set, setting, and microdosing

An integral component of safe and beneficial use of psychedelic substances involves an appropriate ‘set and setting’ or mindset to approach the experience and comfortable, safe, and supportive environment. Compared to psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy, discussions of set and setting are not as common with microdosing, although could contribute to success or failure.

Psychedelic use is associated with neuroplastic brain states, increased openness, and increased sensitivity to environmental stimuli. These effects may be subtle, yet considerable, to persons microdosing. For example, one study found that despite reported decreases in depression and anxiety after six weeks of microdosing, that neuroticism was increased. While some persons may benefit from enhancement in emotional sensitivity or make lifestyle changes in response to enhanced emotional awareness, others may experience negative effects of intensified emotion. This could be particularly important to consider in persons with psychiatric illnesses or those with significant stressors present in their environment. Consideration of ‘set and setting’ and accompanying a microdosing regimen with therapeutic support, particularly if attempting treatment of a mental illness, is an important harm reduction measure.

What regimens are available for microdosing?

A few regimens for microdosing are commonly known and used, while others (e.g., IV infusion of microdose DMT) are being developed for specific applications. Currently, there is no good information to understand which regimen is best or safest. While some people microdose on an almost daily basis, taking a few days off between microdoses is thought to reduce the likelihood of developing tolerance. Persons may be meticulous about microdosing and follow a protocol or vary doses or times between uses.

The most well-known regimen for microdosing is known as the ‘Fadiman protocol’ and suggests taking 5-10% of a full dose of a psychedelic every 3 to 4 days, which equals ~10-13mcgs of LSD or 0.1-0.3g of dried psilocybin-containing mushrooms.

Another common regimen is named the ‘Stamets protocol’ after mycologist Paul Stamets, who suggests using microdoses of psilocybin mushrooms (0.1-1g) in conjunction with lion’s mane (50-200mg) and niacin (100-200mg) for 5 days on and 2 days off.

Due to concerns with long-term safety, it could be beneficial to limit microdosing to a course of 1-2 months and take breaks of similar time frames for observation after a course until better safety information is available.

hEksxCaS92jKmKPuvRhL_Regimens_for_Microdosing.png

Can you microdose PRN or ‘as needed’?

One study followed participants for six weeks and completed brief daily rating scales that recorded if they microdosed that day, substance / dose, and feelings of connectedness, contemplation, creativity, focus, happiness, productiveness, and wellbeing. Results of this study indicated that microdosing led to an improvement across all psychological function measures compared to baseline scores. Interestingly, benefits that resulted from microdosing were not maintained in the days following dose consumption. This could indicate a placebo effect or benefits that were limited to days a microdose was ingested. If the latter were true, it appears a more flexible approach to microdosing may also have value and could minimize risks associated with semi-chronic use.

How are accurate prepared microdoses?

One aspect of microdosing that is potentially problematic is the accurate measurement of low doses of psychedelics. Available research suggests that overshooting a microdose can produce side effects such as increased anxiety and anecdotes have reported unwanted psychedelic effects from taking too large of a microdose. Due to the variability in psilocybin concentrations amongst mushrooms there is potential for variation in amounts of psilocybin present in dried mushrooms. Due to the microgram potency of LSD, it is typically found dosed on blotter paper or as a concentrated liquid solution. Difficulty measuring small amounts of liquid or cutting blotter into pieces small enough to be microdoses creates potential for over(micro)doses to occur.

Dried psilocybin containing mushrooms can be placed in a clean coffee grinder to break them down, which can help homogenize psilocybin concentrations amongst the resulting course powder. Using a scale accurate to a milligram (e.g., jewelry scale), doses of desired weights of the psilocybin mushroom powder (0.05-0.3g) can be placed within capsules. Smaller capsules of 50mg (0.05g) or 100mg (0.1g) allows flexibility in dosing and the ability to start at minimum doses.

Liquid LSD of known strength (e.g., 2mg/ml or ~100mcg per drop) or LSD on blotter (e.g., 100mcg per tab) can be diluted volumetrically in a liquid such as distilled water. Ten tabs (100mcg/tab) in 10mls or 10 drops containing (100mcg per drop) in 9.5ml of distilled water would create a solution containing 10mcg of LSD per 0.1ml. Accuracy of dosing can be improved with a graded 1ml oral syringe. LSD is sensitive to light, thus glass amber vials are ideal for storage. Mixing well prior to each use by gently rolling the vial or squeezing the dropper several times can help ensure the strength is consistent.

kwXtfQxCT2ah16Y9OlML_Volumetric_Dilution_of_LSD_Microdosing.png

Is it safe to microdose while taking antidepressants (SSRIs)?

Currently, there is not any research that explores the safety and efficacy of microdosing while concurrently taking a serotonin reuptake blocking antidepressants (e.g., SSRIs, SNRIs). Based on the pharmacology of psilocybin and LSD, significant physical harm is unlikely from their combination. People who use full doses of LSD and psilocybin while taking a SSRI often report diminished psychedelic effects, leading some to think microdosing would be ineffective. However, some users report positive effects of microdosing while taking antidepressants and respond to larger doses of psilocybin while taking them. Of note, it is not safe to microdose ayahuasca or harmala alkaloids with SSRIs/SNRIs.

Microsummary and conclusion

There is much to be learned about how microdoses of psychedelics may work and under what circumstances or for which applications they have favorable risk and benefit profiles.

The current evidence that microdosing improves mood and mental health conditions is weak compared with psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy. However, thousands of people report benefits and microdoses have had some physical and perceptual changes detected in laboratory studies. Microdoses are reported as generally well tolerated, although side effects such as anxiety and insomnia commonly occur. Consideration of ‘set and setting’, getting additional help and support, limiting courses to two months as well as starting with minimal doses in safe comfortable environments are reasonable measures to improve safety in persons choosing to microdose psychedelics.

*From the article here :

Last edited:

How a year of microdosing helped my career, relationships and happiness*

by Janet Chang | MEDIUM

Recently, I completed a one-year experiment in which I took microdoses of psilocybin — magic mushrooms — almost daily. My goal was to understand the impact it would have on my work, relationships, and mental health.

I approached the experiment as a relative newcomer to the world of psychedelics. Until the last few years, I wasn’t the kind of person to take recreational drugs. That said, I’m invested in health, mindfulness, and personal growth. I’ve scored in the top 99th percentile for standardized tests, trained and competed in the Olympic sport of speedskating, and run a startup for one of my business idols. Over the last 14 years, to improve my life, I’ve used and refined everything from meditation, yoga, intermittent fasting, paleo, Bulletproof, ketogenic, triathlons, powerlifting, “lifestyle design”, the “digital nomad” lifestyle, “Getting Things Done”, the principles of rationality, and also, nootropics — or ‘smart drugs’.

By the time I was 25, I created a life I was proud of, all while sober. So my perspective on recreational drugs was that anyone dependent on them had major problems they were running away from. I never thought of drugs as conducive to growth.

Fortunately, I was wrong. After taking them in Southeast Asia, my perspective on psychedelics quickly changed, and they became a vehicle for greater self-reflection and awareness. Psychedelics appealed to me in their ability to work through painful emotions of the past. My use of psychedelics has shown various benefits, including reducing my social anxiety and addressing things that even I, a so-called self-improvement fanatic, hadn’t gotten around to facing within myself.

I woke up after my first dose of mushrooms to find my lifelong fear of public speaking gone. After mushrooms, I was exposed to LSD and MDMA, and traveled to Peru for a series of Ayahuasca ceremonies. They worked beyond my wildest expectations. Psychedelics served as eye-opening means for cultivating meaningful personal insight. I healed from childhood traumas I didn’t even know I had.

At one point, I began wondering if there was a sustainable way to leverage the power of psychedelics on a daily basis. It was at this time I became eager to discover whether smaller doses could help improve my work, relationships, and mood.

How microdosing mushrooms impacted my life

The year I microdosed happened to be a particularly difficult one.

I was recovering from some major career setbacks due to a series of unfortunate events involving a spinal injury that ended my Olympic speedskating career and impending identity crisis, as well as a case of sexual harassment by a male direct report, followed by retaliation and blackmail. This left me hunting for a new role and taking a pay cut to pursue jobs in other industries (a story that is unfortunately becoming increasingly common in this day and age of sexual harassment in the technology industry). Meanwhile, there were financial challenges in my family. I had plunged into a fog of depression and anxiety almost as dark as the suicidal depression I experienced during my teenage years. I don’t know how I could have made it through without microdosing.

By the end of the year, I had made a career transition that led to more than doubling my salary from the first job I took after the incident. I improved my emotional well-being and developed better relationships with the people around me. It didn’t solve all of my problems or make my life a rainbow-glittery world of unicorns — but it definitely made the days easier as I picked up the pieces of my life and started anew.

Improving my relationship with myself

In my relationship with myself, I became more aware of my emotions in every passing moment, and could address them on the spot instead of letting my them build up. I was in a better mood. My mind stopped making up reasons for me to be unhappy, and instead focused my attention on the positive. Some days, a sense of inner peace would permeate my being.

I was less self-conscious and more creative. Everyday, more ideas and insights would pop into my mind than I knew what to do with. I held a greater appreciation for the arts. My apartment went from minimalistic and drab to tastefully and beautifully decorated. My alone time went from dead silent to filled with music, song, and dance. Despite a lifetime of hating clothes shopping, I started to enjoy every part of the process. I took up a dance class, and went from being a robotic dancer to deftly ‘on point’. I joked and laughed more.

Overall, my life became more emotionally attuned, social, happy, and carefree, and less rigid, serious, and fear-driven. Many friends of mine remarked that I was more relaxed and calm, and that I had more energy.

Relationships with others

I was more comfortable in public, and less anxious in conversations. Although I already considered myself open-minded and accepting, I became more tolerant and compassionate towards people. I would chat with convenience store owners, give smiles to strangers walking down the street, and once had a 4-hour conversation with my coffee shop baristas while I waited in an airport.

At work, I made small talk without getting overly self-conscious. I led meeting presentations without anxiety choking me up. I had better check-ins with my boss and clients, and they all seemed more impressed with my work than before. With the people close to me, doors of intimacy were opened where there were none before. I watched myself as I expressed both positive and negative emotions in ways that made people comfortable and at ease.

Over the year I microdosed, I became a more empathetic, compassionate, and affectionate person. I began to live with more acceptance, gratitude, and presence of mind. My workaholic lifestyle turned into one of spontaneity, creativity, self-expression, and lightheartedness. I continued to live out my values, feeling even more connected than before.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
image.jpg

A depressive’s journey to microdosing*

by Dana Saxon | The Establishment

Since 1978, psilocybin—the active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms—has been illegal in the United States. According to the U.S. Dept. of Justice archive:

“Psilocybin is a Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act. Schedule I drugs, which have a high potential for abuse and serve no legitimate medical purpose in the United States.”

Today, the State is actively withholding psilocybin treatment that could change the lives of those suffering with depression, a treatment that has already helped droves of people like me who never thought they’d shake their psychological shadows.

David Nutt, the director of the neuropsychopharmacology unit at Imperial College London, is a pioneering researcher who studies the use of psychedelics to treat mental illness.

Nutt summarized the findings of one of his studies around chronic depression:

“We treated people who’d been suffering for 30 years, and they’re getting better with a single dose. That tells us this drug is doing something profound.”

Robin Carhart-Harris, a research fellow at the same London institute, echoes the staggering impact of psilocybin on the patients’ psyches. After one week, all 12 participants reported an improvement in their depression and 2/3 of the people were depression-free. By three months, about 58% showed improvement — 5 were in remission while 5 relapsed. “The efficacy of the treatment is impressive,” says Carhard-Harris.

Additional studies at NYU and Johns Hopkins that centered around depression and cancer   found that a single dose of the medication can lead to an immediate reduction in depression that can last up to 8 months. Dr. Stephen Ross, at NYU Langone Medical Center, called this depression treatment “unprecedented,” insisting that “we don’t have anything like it.”

Although these revolutionary medical studies provide convincing evidence that psilocybin can be an effective treatment for depression, NYU and Johns Hopkins researchers emphasized the “danger” and illegality of psychedelic mushrooms, cautioning, “…the drug was given in tightly controlled conditions in the presence of two clinically trained monitors… [The researchers] do not recommend use of the compound outside of such a research or patient care setting.”

Also, both studies stressed that their research was for terminally ill cancer patients, not average sad people, like me.

15 years ago, I was diagnosed with depression. As a depressed person, I understood my condition was physical, and not something I could sleep away. So, after sharing my detailed descriptions of worry and grief with a soft-spoken and apparently concerned doctor, I received the permission I needed for my only option to heal—a prescription for Prozac.

When it comes to health care in the U.S., we’re not given many opportunities to think outside the box. For physical and emotional pain alike, prescription drugs are widely accepted as the primary solution for people seeking relief — you're diagnosed, placed in a box, and given the “right pills.”

At the time, I was in law school in Philadelphia. Not only did I hate school and my accidental career path, my father was recently diagnosed with colon cancer, and I felt every part of life slipping from my control. Therapy helped, and the drugs numbed the symptoms of depression.

After law school, having rejected the law and earning most of my income under the table as a private teacher for children, I was uninsured for more than a year. Even after I found more stable jobs, I never quite found my bearings, bouncing from coast to coast, and confronting periodic reminders that my depression was still very much untreated.

Although I was coping, I occasionally searched online for any kind of solution to the overbearing pain that haunted me on my worst days. Honestly, sometimes even the research itself was too much to bear. So in truth, I didn’t try too often.

When it comes to healthcare in the U.S., you are diagnosed, placed in a box, and given the ‘right' pills. And even finding a therapist was no guarantee for treatment. After one decent session with a doctor I liked, my insurance company refused to pay for treatment. More than a year later, after a tolerable session with a doctor who was both arrogant and racist, she refused to treat me because “we wouldn’t be a fit."

I began coping with my symptoms of depression and rejection.

In New York City, about five years after the initial diagnosis, I found a doctor who offered a “trial session,” which was a common routine. I’d pay out of pocket; he’d listen for an hour, then recommend a treatment over the course of some months. My insurance company would consider his opinion, then decide if the whole thing was appropriate.

Like my earlier attempts to heal within the system, I committed to it.

I spilled my guts and tears on his couch. I told him about being diagnosed with depression years earlier, my father’s death, growing anxiety, insecurity and loneliness — the works. He talked at a normal volume, in non-condescending tones. Although I didn’t think he could relate to my grief, I liked the way he listened.

“Finally, I’ll get this thing under control,” I thought. “He’ll help.”

We planned to start treatment in a week. He only needed to mail a confirmation, which arrived just a few days later. I wasn’t surprised until a check fell out — with my signature on it.

The doctor’s handwritten note explained that my insurance would only cover a small portion of my therapy. And since I was not super rich, he knew it wouldn’t be possible for us to continue. He kindly returned my non-refundable fee for the trial session, explaining, “I feel terrible about this and can’t justify taking your money. I hope you find the help you need.”

I was sad, frustrated, helpless, and now pitied. I cried fiercely over that letter. He was the last therapist I would ever see.

Since then, I’ve forged my own path to recovery, involving plenty of self-discovery, and a fair share of scientific research. In the process, I’ve become aware of the box in which I’ve been trying to heal, one that was designed by cold-hearted, American insurance providers and pharmaceutical companies that make commercials with happy white women on beaches.

Now? I’m growing psychedelic mushrooms in my living room.

Since I migrated from the U.S. to The Netherlands several years ago, I can legally purchase a grow kit for magic mushrooms at a lovely, pro-woman and pro-healing herbal shop that’s a short walking distance from my apartment. I explained to the shop’s owner that I read about the benefits of taking magic mushrooms in microdoses to treat symptoms of depression, so I wanted to try them for the first time.

“Oh, yes, absolutely!” She exclaimed. “I know several people who use mushrooms this way. They can give you a spiritual experience in larger doses, and a healing experience in smaller doses.”

It’s what I hoped to confirm; my online research included piles of papers and personal accounts from people hailing from all parts of the world, all treating their depression with psychedelic mushrooms.

I took my first mushroom kit home and quietly hoped for relief — from depression and the limitations of American health care.

I started my homegrown treatment with a full trip, eating about 4 grams of mushrooms. That night I recorded an emotional conversation with myself. I worked through some of the sore spots and identified a source of generational trauma, including a connection with my father and previous generations, all of whom dealt with a depression that reaches back to slavery and unfulfilled promises of freedom.

I questioned my self-doubt. I cried over unaddressed pain. And I laughed at the absurdity of the situation. By the next morning, I felt like I had been through months of therapy.

From there, I turned the mushrooms into pills, creating microdoses of 0.2 grams. I started by taking a microdose every 2–3 days. Now, after several months of consistent doses, I’m down to an average of one microdose per week.

I started my homegrown treatment with a full trip. By the next morning, I felt like I had been through months of therapy.

In addition to increased focus and energy, the mushrooms have brought me levity and gratitude. Unlike Prozac, which felt like placing a blanket over my problems, the mushrooms have lifted away a burdening weight. I can’t say all problems are solved by swallowing a mushroom microdose, but they provide me the needed perspective and clarity to perceive (internal) barriers and negative thoughts, and then address them.

At some point, I expect I’ll no longer need a dose every week or every month, or even at all. But for now, as long as I experience the benefits of the treatment, I’ll continue microdosing.

And, in the meantime, I’ll participate in the growing movement to legalize psychedelic mushrooms in the U.S., because other treatment-seekers deserve relief from their depression, a mental illness that affects 6.7% of the U.S. population age 18 and older.

The magic of these mushrooms shouldn’t be kept under lock and key, but warm on a windowsill.

*From the article here :
https://theestablishment.co/the-magi...g-1675a7cf15a4

Last edited:
alisa-anton-u_z0X-yrJIE-unsplash-780x400.jpg

A Case Study on Microdosing and Self-Care

Gregory Frederick Ferenstein, M.Sc. | The Third Wave | 9 Nov 2021​
SUMMARY

This case study involves a middle-aged man, Steven*, who had quite a bit of experience with high-dose psychedelics, including ketamine, ayahuasca, and MDMA.

Despite considerable spiritual and therapeutic work, he still found himself incredibly distracted and unable to engage in a number of healthy habits.

Only after establishing a psilocybin microdosing regimen was Steven able to focus on acts of self-care, such as healthy eating and meditation.

Microdosing facilitated shifts in his mindset and well-being, which high-dose psychedelics had been unable to achieve. Steven’s case report highlights the potential of self-care and microdosing as a supplement to full-dose psychedelic experiences.

Background

Steven is a longtime entrepreneur. After running his own business for 30 years, he described himself in “a state of burnout, a kind of chronic fight or flight [mode].” He had been on antidepressants since 1992 — and though Steven did not explicitly identify as having depression or anxiety, he reported experiencing overwhelm, lack of joy, and a sense of emotional “flatness.”

Over the course of a couple of years, Steven participated in 25-30 ketamine sessions, in an attempt to improve his mental state.
He recounts that the medicine “started to help me just disengage a little bit from the ego, and it was really very powerful in that regard. But I didn’t necessarily have the anti-depressant results from it.”

The high-dose ketamine sessions were impactful—but not enough to initiate significant changes in Steven’s everyday wellbeing.

“It was really interesting and from a personal development perspective, I really enjoyed it,” he says of the high-dose psychedelic journeys. Yet, in their aftermath, he continued to struggle with self-care. Though Steven wanted to meditate, eat healthier, and work out more often, anxious thoughts would overwhelm and distract him from engaging in healthy habits. He experienced a great deal of mental resistance around self-care, which felt like a “chore”—something he was supposed to do, rather than something he wanted to do.

How microdosing made a difference

Feeling stuck in his journey, Steven decided to try microdosing. He began to take low doses of psilocybin while still on a psychiatric antidepressant. Following experimentation with incrementally increasing dosages, across a few weeks, his mental landscape began to shift.
“I started noticing things differently,” he recalls. “Not cognitively, but perceptually.”

Steven reports that the psilocybin helped to “soften the resistance in my head,” and he finally felt motivated to engage in self-care. He began to veer away from “self-indulgence,” as he puts it, and to instead eat well and practice meditation. The microdose amount that ended up working best for Steven was a little over half a gram of psilocybin.

Outcomes

Since beginning a microdosing regimen, Steven has entered into a healthier phase of living and lost a tremendous amount of weight. He describes himself as feeling “much more optimized”—able to show up more fully to life and to connect to his motivation.

Microdosing allowed Steven to overcome mental blocks and streamline his energy.
“It provided me the fuel to engage in things that were more restorative,” he reports. “And what I can say is, wow, the quality and tenor of my life has shifted, and unequivocally I can attribute that to my microdosing.”

Specific strategies

Microdosing is the consumption of a psychedelic substance at sub-perceptual doses, leading to subtle effects such as improved mood, focus, and energy. A microdose typically amounts to less than one-tenth of a standard recreational or ceremonial dose (i.e., a full dose or a “macrodose”). That’s not to say that a microdose is one-tenth as effective as a full dose—rather, a microdose can be just as effective, but in a different way.

Because microdosing does not induce intense psychedelic effects, individuals are able to function and perform everyday tasks even while under the influence of a microdose. Perhaps herein lies the benefit of Steven’s microdosing regimen: Whereas full-dose journeys demanded his full attention and therefore disrupted him from daily living, low-dose psilocybin experiences were smoothly incorporated and layered over his everyday reality. When there’s less of a distinction between “the journey” and “real life,” as in the case of microdosing, there’s less likelihood that a teaching will get “lost in transit” or “lost in translation.”

High-dose psychedelic journeys may impart powerful insights, profound emotional shifts, and even mystical experiences—but without adequate integration support, it can be difficult to apply these insights to daily life once the journey ends. Microdosing, on the other hand, allows for subtle shifts to accumulate across time, in a paced and coherent way—which decreases overwhelm and makes the process of self-transformation feel more accessible. Steven’s microdosing regimen built on the neuroplastic foundation set by his previous psychedelic journeys, while also giving him the push he needed to enact concrete changes in his life.

*Steven is a pseudonym. Some quotes edited for clarity.

beckley_psytech_psychedelic_research_80_Million_psilocybin_headaches_psychedelic_spotlight.jpg

Microdosing Psilocybin for Beginners: 5 Easy Steps

Journal. Measure. Schedule. Listen. Flourish. This increasingly popular practice only pays off with careful intention and execution.

by James Halifax | PSYCHEDELIC SPOTLIGHT | 18 Nov 2021

Over the past several years, the practice of microdosing psilocybin mushrooms has ballooned in popularity. With purported benefits of improving mental health, creativity, and focus, many people are looking online to determine if the practice works, what exactly it does, and how they can start Microdosing themselves.

Unfortunately, the internet can be a dark and scary place, rife with misinformation. Therefore, Psychedelic Spotlight is offering this beginner’s guide to microdosing mushrooms, to help people who want to learn more about the practice in a safe and accurate manner. Take a look through these five easy steps to see if this practice lives up to the hype and if it may be right for you.

What is microdosing and what are the benefits?

In simple terms, microdosing is the practice of taking a very small dose of a drug—in this case psilocybin. The dose should be small enough that it won’t cause any perceptual changes, meaning you won’t have any hallucinations or even feel high. This will allow you to continue to go to school, work, or operate in social settings as if you had taken nothing at all.

So then, if you don’t “feel” anything, what is the point of microdosing?

Well, according to thousands upon thousands of anecdotal stories over decades, microdosing psilocybin is purported to:​
  • Improve your creativity​
  • Help you enter states of flow, also known as “being in the zone” or entering a mental state of total energized concentration​
  • Help alleviate feelings of stress and anxiety​
  • Improve focus and concentration​
  • Improve relational awareness and​
  • Speed your reflexes​
Unfortunately, we have to rely on anecdotal evidence because, until recently, very little scientific study has been done on the subject of microdosing. That, however, is starting to change with many clinical studies underway.

Despite a lack of hard scientific data, the practice is sworn upon by many in high pace environments, such as Silicon Valley. A couple famous examples of Microdosers include: Paul Stamets and Steve Jobs, though for the latter it was more LSD Microdosing.

Now that we have a good understanding of what Microdosing Magic Mushrooms is and its purported benefits, let’s take a look at how a person may go about Microdosing, in 5 easy steps.

Step 1: Journal

Now, you may be a tad confused. You might be thinking: This is a guide for microdosing psilocybin, why is journaling step 1?

Well, it turns out that journaling is an essential part of the microdosing process. The Wakfeful Travel journal, currently being funded on Kickstarter, is specifically designed for a 6-week microdosing framework. It can help you crystalize your goals, track your progress over time, and become more attuned to your body and mind’s reaction to the miniscule dose.

Even if you don’t plan on microdosing, journaling daily has been shown to have a host of benefits for your mental health. Combining it with microdosing is a perfect way to turbo-charge the journey to self improvement.

Now, you actually want to start journaling at least a week before you take your first microdose. You don’t have to do much, just spend a few minutes before bed jotting down several factors such as:​
  • Your mood throughout the day​
  • Your concentration and energy levels​
  • Any specific areas of your life you want to improve in; maybe paying more attention to your spouse, being a better student, or improving your flaming knife juggling skills (don’t try this at home!)​
The last point here is super important. Not the juggling flaming knives, but rather going into the microdosing process with set goals. The purpose of microdosing is to improve aspects of your life, which won’t happen unless you have taken the time to reflect on the aspects of your life you want to change.

Once you begin taking your microdoses, after a week of journaling, it is essential that you continue the daily journaling process. Reflect on your mood, concentration levels, and what you did to improve upon your goals.

With journaling, microdosing can change your life. Without journaling, you are grasping blindly for improvements.

Step 2: Measure your microdosing

This is actually the step that most people screw up on.

Often, someone will attempt to microdose mushrooms, but will take WAY too much! It is essential that you remember the “micro” in microdose.

Frequently, people will think to themselves, “Oh, I don’t feel any different, I must not have taken enough, I’ll have some more.” And then be operating on a low, not-microdose. If you do this frequently it will nerf your tolerance, and you may not get the long term benefits of microdosing.

If you have never microdosed before, a good starting point is 0.1 grams of dried mushrooms. Depending on your body size you can go higher, perhaps up to 0.2 grams, but it is better to start low for a month and then recalibrate.

It is essential that you buy a scale, and not just eyeball what 0.1 grams looks like. This is a very small amount, and without measuring, it is very likely that you may take 0.3-0.5 grams. Plus it is essential that you take the same amount on each dosing day, which eyeballing it just doesn’t allow for. Don’t worry, scales are cheap, often under $10.

You can prepare your doses in two ways: first, you can measure out each time you are microdosing; or you can spend an hour prepping for your entire experiment by grinding the dried shrooms into a powder, then filling up empty pill capsules with 0.1 grams each.

Either way, it is important to store your mushrooms in a dry, cool environment, where they are not in direct sunlight.

Step 3: Schedule

Once you have prepared your doses, you need to decide how you are scheduling your microdosing journey. Even at such a tiny dose, your body can still build up a natural immunity fairly quickly, so it is important that you take breaks.

There are a few common schedules that we will discuss here.

First, the most famous and classical one is a microdose every 3 days.

The idea behind this is on the first day you feel the full effects, on the second day you still feel about ½ the effects as the substance is still in your body, and the third day is a tolerance break.

If you stick with this schedule, taking 0.1 grams every 3 days, you should manage to avoid building up a tolerance.

Some people also do it every other day, which may work for them, but for beginners, we would still suggest every third day.

Another common regime is one week on and one week off. This would average out to every other day, but by having a full week off, you can rebuild your tolerance.
Since there hasn’t been a lot of hard core scientific study on the best regimes, you should choose the one that seems most appealing to you, and stick with it for a minimum of a month.

The key here is consistency. A lot of the benefits of microdosing come over time, not on the first or second day, so whichever schedule you choose, make sure you stick by it. As you record in your journal your progress, by about a week in you should be noticing significant improvements to focus, creativity, and ability to get into states of flow.

Step 4: Listen to your body

It is important that you stick with your original schedule for at least a month to give your body and mind time to adjust, and for you to have had enough time to make adequate reflections on the effectiveness of your microdosing journey in your journal.

However, after your first month, depending on how you feel, you can rejig your regime. Every person is different, as is how their body reacts to a drug. If you are a bigger person, for example, perhaps you might want to add a little more. Don’t go overboard, but upping your dose to 0.2-0.3 grams may be reasonable. Or perhaps you feel you don’t need to take as much as you currently are, and bring down the schedule to once a week.

You can figure out how to shift your process by going back and reading through your journal, and seeing how you have felt on days where you took a dose, and how you felt when you were on an off day.

Again, everyone is different, so just listen to your own personal body and emotions to figure out what is right for you. Microdosing mushrooms is an inexact science, so you just have to do what is right for you personally.

Eventually, maybe after a month, or maybe 3 months or a year, you will feel like you don’t have to be microdosing any longer. You may feel like you retain the benefits even if you are not taking a weekly dose.

Once this happens, feel free to take a protracted break. This could be a full month off, or longer. It may even be a year or multiyear period, or perhaps you can switch to only microdosing when you have something specific you need a boost for, such as a stressful social situation or a date.

While you are in this break, it’s important that you continue to journal. For one, this is still beneficial for you. But for another, this will help you decide when and if you should start microdosing again.

Step 5: Improve other aspects of your life

This is less of a step, and more of something you should be consciously doing since the very beginning.

Remember, if you are microdosing, it should be to improve specific aspects of your life, such as your concentration, ability to speak in social settings, etc. You are not just taking magic mushrooms to get high. In fact, if you are getting high, you are doing it wrong.

The entire time you are microdosing, you should keep in mind your goals, and be recording daily in your journal how much progress you have made towards said goals.

Something that can help is that when you are journaling, set a checklist of things to try to do the next day. Take it slow, take baby steps. Don’t have as your first goal become a billionaire. But maybe, work for 3 hours straight without taking a break.

While you are microdosing, you may also try to become healthier in your day to day life. Not only will microdosing make this easier, but by being healthy, the positive benefits will multiply. Some examples of areas you can try to become healthier in are: eating better, exercising at least a couple times a week and having a better sleep schedule. Meditating is also a fantastic way to boost your microdosing experience.

Something important is to remember that microdosing mushrooms is not a magic bullet (pun very much intended). At best it will help you achieve your goals, it won’t achieve them for you.

You still have to put in work. (I know, oh the horror!)

Happy Microdosing!

Last edited:
microdosing-protocol.jpg

Microdosing every day vs. every other day*

Are there any risks to microdosing every day? We asked the experts all about microdosing protocols.

by Danielle Simone Brand | DoubleBlind | 2 Dec 2021

Many consumers believe that microdosing psychedelics can enhance creativity and potentially improve brain function. But, how often should you do it? Is microdosing every day safe? What about microdosing every other day? There are few large-scale studies that examine whether or not the hype rings true. Right now, the most popular microdosing protocols are based on early qualitative research and anecdotal evidence from over one-thousand completed surveys, collected in online user reports.

What is a microdosing protocol?

A microdosing protocol is a strategy that lays out best practices around microdosing, including how much of a psychedelic substance to take, when to take it, and what to consume alongside your dose. Simply stated, a microdosing protocol is a regimen for consuming tiny, sub-perceptual doses of psychedelics—but why?

Many consumers believe that microdosing psychedelics can enhance creativity and potentially improve brain function. But, so far, there are few large-scale studies that examine whether or not the hype rings true. Right now, the most popular microdosing protocols are based on early qualitative research and users’ anecdotal evidence, collected in online user reports.

The two best-known microdosing protocols are named after psychedelics writer and advocate, James Fadiman, Ph.D. and renowned mycologist Paul Stamets. (See below for more explanation on the Fadiman and Stamets protocols.) Many new microdosers choose one of these two established protocols, while others work with a guide or practitioner for an individualized strategy. Some practitioners have developed their own set of recommendations which may involve dosing every other day, or another pattern entirely.

What to use in a microdosing protocol

Psilocybin microdosing protocols and LSD microdosing protocols are the two most common regimens, though there has also been a recent uptick in conversation around microdosing ibogaine, ayahuasca, mescaline, ketamine, DMT, LSD analogs, and MDMA. (MDMA is not a classic psychedelic, but an amphetamine, and thus does not behave in the same way as others in this category.) A microdose is one-twentieth to one-tenth of a full therapeutic or “recreational” dose (also known as a macrodose).

For common psilocybin-containing mushrooms, that usually falls within a range from .05 grams to .5 grams of dried mushrooms, while an LSD microdose is 5-10µ (micrograms). Since many variations exist across different strains of psilocybin-containing mushrooms, and because there may be somewhat of a cannabis-like “entourage effect” to shrooms, consumers may want to experiment with a few different strains to find their preferred variety.

Microdosing every day

No matter what substance you choose, microdosing every day isn’t recommended. Daily use, even at small doses, can build your tolerance and decrease benefits. Both LSD and psilocybin affect the brain’s serotonin receptors, and research into LSD has shown that these receptors essentially downregulate after repeated exposure—yielding a lowered response to the drug. And because the two substances bind to the same brain receptors, alternating between LSD and psilocybin is unlikely to reduce tolerance from everyday use, either.

There are, of course, those who choose to microdose “365 days a year, no off times,” says Michele Ross, Ph.D., a neuroscientist, author, and founder of Infused Health. “I discourage that,” she tells Double Blind, “because we know you can build a tolerance to any drug, natural or not, if used daily.” Dr. Ross elaborates that, much like the way muscles grow stronger in between exercise sessions, “the magic of microdosing is as much in the pruning of neural connections that aren’t working for us as in the building of new neural connections.”

There’s also a risk of damage to the heart from daily use of certain psychedelics. According to Julie Freeman, registered dietician, functional and mind-body medicine expert, and founder of Mindful Wellness, psilocybin “impacts the 5HT-2B receptors… [which] is known in some individuals to cause cardio-pulmonary valve issues,” if taken frequently.

How to pick the right microdosing protocol

“The benefits of using protocols like the Fadiman or Stamets protocols is that thousands of people have used them safely,” says Dr. Ross, adding that simply “winging” it may not lead to the kinds of benefits you seek.

Freeman agrees that, “the protocols are guidelines to begin the process safely and to gather data to observe what feels right individually.” To that end, you could choose to begin microdosing with one of the protocols discussed below while keeping detailed notes on your dose, timing, and effects in order to better gauge your experience.

Swathi Varanasi, PharmD, an integrative pharmacist, speaker, and educator, tells DoubleBlind that a patient might benefit from an individualized microdosing plan: “Depending on a person’s desired result, physiological composition, genetic factors, and daily prescriptions and supplements, dosing plants and fungi can be complex.” Dr. Varanasi suggests that, particularly for new microdosers, using the Fadiman or Stamets protocols as a “starting point” can be helpful, though she and other clinicians interviewed for this article emphasized that, depending on your previous psychedelic experience and needs, working with a psychedelics-knowledgeable practitioner—even for microdosing—may be a supportive choice.
microdosing-protocol-3.png

The Fadiman Microdosing Protocol

While Albert Hoffman, the Swiss chemist who first synthesized LSD, is credited with the idea of microdosing, it was James Fadiman, Ph.D., psychedelics advocate, and writer who popularized the method. Although indigenous peoples may have known about the practice long before. Fadiman has collected reports and questionnaires from thousands of microdosers worldwide, who report benefits like decreased social and academic anxiety; lowered addictive behaviors; headache relief; menstrual pain relief; increased sense of “flow” and creativity; decreased trauma-based triggering; and improved relationship skills.

The Fadiman protocol involves microdosing every fourth day on a simple schedule: On day one, you microdose, and on days two and three, you refrain. That pattern is considered a “cycle” which can then be repeated with another microdose starting the following day (day four). Fadiman recommends this pattern because he has found that many microdosers feel a two-day “window” of effects, sometimes described as an “afterglow” in which the benefits linger into the next day.

Day three in the protocol is a “reset” that allows you to return to your ordinary state of consciousness in order to observe and appreciate the effects of microdosing. Most people who participate in Fadiman’s qualitative research process consume .1 grams to .4 grams of psilocybin or five to 10µ of LSD. It takes about a month to complete ten cycles of the Fadiman protocol, at which point Fadiman recommends pausing to evaluate whether continued microdosing feels correct in your body.
microdosing-protocol-4.png

The Paul Stamets Protocol

Paul Stamets, who has studied and worked with medicinal mushrooms for over 30 years, developed another microdosing protocol, now called the Stamets Stack. Stamets touts that this protocol is intended to promote neurogenesis (the growth of new connections in the brain and peripheral nervous system). The Stack involves microdosing with three components—psilocybin, the legal mushroom Lion’s Mane, and the B vitamin niacin—in a repeating pattern of four days on followed by three days off. Microdosers who follow the Stamets protocol report many of the same benefits to mood, cognition, and performance as those who utilize the Fadiman protocol, though some people believe that the Lion’s Mane and niacin, as additional components of the stack, boost psilocybin’s neuro-generative properties.

Some people who follow the Stamets protocol consume a true microdose of psilocybin (anywhere between .05 grams to .5 grams of dried mushrooms), and others experiment within the range of a low-dose (.5 gram to one gram of dried mushrooms). If you’re new to mushrooms, start low and go slow, and keep good notes until you find your microdosing sweet spot. You can find dosages and discussion on the other two components of the Stamets Stack here.

Microdosing every other day

Unfortunately, microdosers seeking clear answers about microdosing protocols may be met with disappointment. At this point in time, there is little information available about the risks of microdosing every day, every other day, or following any particular protocol. A small Norwegian microdosing study found that many experienced microdosers choose to do so cyclically for a period of weeks or months, as needed, to support their cognition and mental health. Some longtime microdosers prefer an every-other-day schedule for microdosing maintenance—which may confer the two-day window of benefits Fadiman has observed while preventing tolerance buildup. Although, without firm research, it’s ultimately up to each individual in the end.

Customizing your microdosing protocol

It should be noted that we don’t yet have research on the long-term effects of microdosing, though the clinicians interviewed for this article stated that it’s an area in which continued research—and further development of the protocols—is called for. “Currently, we have a lot of real-world evidence… that should be fueling the research,” says Sherri Tutkus, RN, a cannabis and psychedelics nurse, and founder of the Green Nurse.

Regardless of the microdosing protocol you try, Dr. Ross emphasizes the importance of listening to your body and taking periodic breaks. “There is no one-size-fits-all approach to psychedelics,” she says, “and if you keep notes on what works for you, and find better results deviating from the traditional protocols, go for it. Just make sure you pencil in off days and off weeks!” Likewise, Freeman emphasizes that, once you’re familiar with the effects of microdosing effects, you can bring your intuition into the process to help you determine when, what, and how frequently to microdose.

Ultimately, says Tutkus, “the best protocol is the one that works.”

Microdosing protocol tips

There’s still a lot to learn about microdosing. Yet, advocates tout a few simple practices that may be helpful for navigating the experience, including:​
  • Utilize a sensitive scale to carefully measure your dosage of psilocybin​
  • Microdose for the first time on a non-work day to gauge your body’s response​
  • Microdose in the morning because later-in-the-day doses could interfere with sleep​
  • Refrain from mixing substances; instead, stick to one microdosed substance at a time to better understand its benefits and any potential downsides; likewise save alcohol or THC consumption for a moment when you aren’t under the influence of the microdose​
  • Cannabis and psychedelics nurse, Sherri Tutkus, suggests that adding CBD to your routine when microdosing may be helpful; this non-psychotropic cannabinoid may ease discomforts you might experience from the microdose​
  • Remember that set and setting may affect your microdosing experience; be mindful of your surroundings and mood​

The information presented in this article is intended for educational purposes. It should not be used as a substitute for medical advice or treatment.

Last edited:
how-to-start-microdosing-1.jpg

How to start microdosing psychedelics

We asked the experts for tips on how to start microdosing—and what you really should know before you begin.

Danielle Simone Brand | DoubleBlind | 16 Dec 2021

ou’ve probably heard the buzz on microdosing; diverse groups—from Silicon Valley execs, to longtime psychonauts, to moms hoping to get through a long day of caregiving without losing their cool—have jumped onto this trend. Perhaps you’re an experienced macrodoser wondering about the effects of taking smaller, sub-perceptual doses of the same substance. Or perhaps you’re new to the world of psychedelic exploration and are looking for a way to test the waters and experience benefits. No matter the intention, we asked the experts for tips on how to start microdosing—and what you really should know before you begin.

Microdosing, defined by the psychedelics advocate and writer, James Fadiman, Ph.D. in his seminal 2011 book, The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide, involves taking between one-tenth and one-twentieth of a full or recreational dose of a psychedelic. Microdosers often follow a protocol, like one of the two described below, for a period of six to ten weeks in order to observe the effects of the practice on their mental health and cognition. A microdose is intended as a “sub-perceptual,” or “sub-threshold” dose—meaning that you’re not meant to trip, or even feel high.

Yet, even without the trip, early research suggests that microdosing may have positive impacts—and we still have much more to learn. A study published in the Harm Reduction Journal in 2019 surveyed 278 microdosers and found that their top four reported benefits were improvements in mood, focus, creativity, and what the researchers termed “self-efficacy”—linked to motivation, confidence, and agency. Another study by the same researchers found that microdosers scored higher on measures of wisdom, open-mindedness, and creativity, and lower on dysfunctional attitudes and negative emotionality. Though this preliminary research is encouraging, it’s important to note that the field of study is new, and that results reflect user survey data, not clinical trials. Nonetheless, microdosing is increasingly sought after by those looking to enhance their mindset for work and creative pursuits, or for personal growth.

Some find benefits in both areas. As Sherri Tutkus, RN, a cannabis and psychedelics nurse and founder of the Green Nurse, shares: “Microdosing psychedelics has helped me to process emotions from a different perspective outside of the ‘trauma story.’ …it has also helped me reach a new level of awareness that self-care is the prerequisite for optimal health and has helped me stay accountable to myself and my goals.”

“Microdosing,”
says Julie Freeman, a registered dietician, functional and mind-body medicine expert, and founder of Mindful Wellness, engenders “an almost imperceptible change in brain chemistry, offering an increase in chemicals that support neuroplasticity.” Specifically, higher levels of BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) may help reduce anxiety, depression, and inflammation, “by increasing the connections in the brain, helping one to be more creative and expansive in thinking rather than tunnel-visioned and feeling at a dead end,” says Freeman. She also finds that microdosing supports her clients’ sense of resiliency without diminishing affect the way SSRIs can. “It may support dampening ADD and OCD-like tendencies,” she tells DoubleBlind, “and it shows great promise in addiction treatment to substances like cigarettes, alcohol, and food.”

Risks and side effects of microdosing

We’ll start with the facts: It’s important to use caution and remain mindful with microdosing. There are still many unknowns in the world of psychedelics—including all of the potential risks and side effects of microdosing, especially for extended periods of time. Yet, anecdotal reports and early research do shed light on some of the potential areas of concern. According to Fadiman’s research, those living with colorblindness, psychotic disorders, or on the autism spectrum should refrain from microdosing psychedelics. Reportedly, people with colorblindness may experience lasting visual distortions, and it’s possible that psychedelics—even small amounts—could worsen or exacerbate psychotic disorders.

In the 2019 observational study referenced above, the most often cited downside to microdosing is its continued illegality in most places; other negative outcomes reported by some microdosers include physiological discomfort, impaired focus, and lower energy.

Michele Ross, PhD, neuroscientist, author, and founder of Infused Health, says that increased anxiety is an uncommon (around ten percent), but possible, effect of microdosing. “It’s important to keep a journal of how you feel to make sure your microdosing protocol is helping, as opposed to not doing anything at all, and at worst, causing mild harm. Other side effects,” she tells DoubleBlind, “might include headaches, agitation, or mild increases in blood pressure.”

Ross also cautions that, while the risk of serotonin syndrome (involving a dangerously high concentration of the feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin) is small with microdosing, “the daily nature of many protocols, and the reality that many microdosers also occasionally macrodose, means that mixing SSRIs, MAOIs, and other prescription antidepressants with microdosing psychedelics is unsafe without talking to a healthcare professional first.” (You can find a list of medications that participants in Fadiman’s research have simultaneously taken while microdosing here, though this is not an endorsement of safety.) The clinicians interviewed for this article usually prefer to review a patient’s complete health history and may have specific lab work done before recommending microdosing. One reason for the caution is that psilocybin and other psychedelics may impact the 5HT2B receptors in the heart and may prove problematic over longer-term use for anyone with cardiac or pulmonary valve issues.

How to start microdosing

The personal use of psychedelic plants and fungi are now decriminalized in multiple cities across the United States. Psilocybin is specifically decriminalized in certain jurisdictions, such as Washington, DC, Detroit, and the state of Oregon. The state of Oregon has also legalized psilocybin therapy clinics. As such, more people than ever before are slowly gaining safe access to many naturally occurring entheogens. As such, conversations about microdosing safety and best practices are becoming increasingly more important.

As with all things psychedelic, it’s considered best practice to start low and go slow. “Everyone’s sweet spot is a little different when both microdosing and macrodosing,” Tutkus tells DoubleBlind, so it’s important to calculate your dose carefully and to record your experience in a journal for better calibrating your optimal microdose. And even though microdosing is a much subtler experience than a full trip, Tutkus recommends having a support system in place should you want or need it. If you’re unsure of how to start, or desire additional support around microdosing, take a class or book a consultation with a vetted guide or a psychedelics practitioner first.

1. Know your substance

As the two most commonly used psychedelic substances, psilocybin and LSD are, unsurprisingly, the two most commonly microdosed psychedelics as well. James Fadiman’s work focuses on these two substances but does not exclude the use of others; in fact, there is a growing body of anecdotal reporting in psychedelics forums on the experiences of microdosing ayahuasca, DMT, ibogaine, ketamine, mescaline, MDMA, and LSD analogs.

Psilocybin, says Freeman, is a go-to for microdosing—in part because it “shows us the interconnectedness of the plant and human worlds. We need this reminder and experience to heal our world,” she says, from the political, economic, and environmental challenges we all face.

Legality and accessibility are also concerns. “As most psychedelics are still illegal on the federal, state, and city-level in most of the United States, many of the patients I work with simply choose what they already have access to first,” says Dr. Ross—adding that LSD and psilocybin tend to be the most readily available. It’s important to note, however, that synthetic compounds like LSD and MDMA are not decriminalized in most areas. At the time of writing, the majority of psychedelic decriminalization initiatives apply only to naturally occurring psychedelic compounds, which include those derived from plants and fungi.

Dr. Ross also finds mushrooms easier to work with for beginners: “With mushrooms, taking slightly more than you should might result in slightly brighter colors or feelings, but not vivid hallucinations.” She adds that, after taking a quick at-home course, it’s fairly simple—and empowering—to grow your own mushrooms.

"If you’re experienced with mushrooms, you might consider switching up your strains to microdose," says Dr. Ross, "because there’s an “entourage effect—similar to that of cannabis. Different strains [of mushrooms],” she says, “may impact your experience differently.”

In addition to psilocybin, Freeman includes ketamine in her practice because it’s legal, and thus more accessible, and because ketamine can be used by those with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia—two conditions in which psilocybin and other serotonergic substances aren’t usually recommended.

Though some people find benefit from microdosing MDMA, it’s important to note that it is not a classic psychedelic, but an amphetamine, that may carry unwanted or even dangerous effects if taken too frequently. For instance, because of its action on the 5HT2B receptors in the heart, it’s possible that, like psilocybin, long-term use could lead to heart valve problems. Some users also report mixed results from microdosing MDMA—including a period of fatigue and antisocial feelings afterward.

Though it’s possible to microdose a variety of psychedelics, Tutkus recommends sticking with one at a time because of the complexities of brain neurochemistry. She also notes that in her clinical experience, pairing CBD with psychedelics seems to help ease discomfort before, during, and after a microdose.

2. Take a class, work with a guide, or find a group

Perhaps you know why you want to microdose, but if the what, when, and how elude you, consider taking a microdosing course. Seasoned guides with years of experience can help you determine what to microdose and how to start the process safely and effectively. Alternatively, working individually with a vetted and reputable therapist, coach, or another trusted professional can help you stay safe as you navigate the effects of these sometimes potent and potentially unfamiliar substances. Local microdosing support groups may also be an economical option if courses and coaching are not accessible.

3. Find a protocol

A microdosing protocol is a regimen that determines how frequently you microdose. Some microdosers follow the Fadiman protocol, which involves a small dose—usually of psilocybin or LSD—every fourth day. Under this protocol, microdosers sometimes report the greatest benefit on the second day (the one following the microdose), with a third day in between to reset the system and avoid building tolerance.

Others choose the Stamets Stack, a microdosing protocol that includes psilocybin, a legal mushroom called Lion’s Mane, and the B vitamin niacin in a pattern of four days on followed by three days off. The two non-psychedelic components of the stack are intended to potentiate the neuron growth that psilocybin (through increasing BDNF) may promote, although this hypothesis has not been put to the test in clinical settings.

Still, others choose to microdose every other day for a period of time—or to test the microdosing waters on weekends only so that they can integrate the physiological and psychological effects during non-work hours. Freeman describes the known protocols as “guidelines that help people safely begin microdosing” because they are based on anecdotal evidence from many people using these substances over time. "Once a microdoser has acclimated to the practice," she says, “listening to one’s intuition about how frequently to microdose is empowering”—though she adds that microdosing every day is not recommended.

Measure your dose

A microdose can fall anywhere between one-tenth and one-twentieth of a full therapeutic or “recreational” dose; you’ll likely need to keep good notes and play with the quantity within that range over a period of time to arrive at your sweet spot. For the most common species of magic mushrooms, psilocybe cubensis, a microdose is roughly .05 gram to .5 gram of dried mushrooms. Keep in mind that, as an organic substance grown under variable conditions, mushroom potency will vary somewhat by batch. Psilocybin truffles are typically less potent than cubensis, so make sure you know what kind of magic mushroom you’re consuming.

LSD, on the other hand, is measured in much smaller units known as micrograms, and represented with this symbol: µ. A microdose of LSD consists of 5-20µ and can be measured by soaking a single tab of LSD in distilled water or grain alcohol for 24 hours and measuring out one-tenth to one-twentieth of the liquid per microdose. Possession of small amounts of LSD—and all other drugs—is only decriminalized in the state of Oregon.

Finally, because microdosing can feel mentally and physically stimulating regardless of your substance of choice, it’s a good idea to consume your dose early in the day so that it does not interfere with your sleep.

Microdosing vs. macrodosing

A key thing to remember as you learn how to start microdosing: Microdosing isn’t macrodosing—and the benefits of the two practices are related, but distinct. “Macrodosing drastically alters perception and may offer ego dissolution and mystical experiences,” says Tutkus. This is not the case with microdosing.

As, Freeman explains: “Microdosing is not intended for the big ah-ha moments, or for catalyzing major life transformations.” Think of it instead as a nuanced intervention that may improve your mental health and wellbeing—or perhaps help you segue to a larger dose. However, because accidentally ingesting a larger dose can send you into a trip at a moment when you may not be prepared for one, ensure that you understand the proper dosages and err on the side of less is more.

original.jpg

New chapter in the science of psychedelic microdosing*

A study on rats offers the first biological evidence that small doses of psychedelic drugs could have therapeutic benefits.

by Haley Weiss | The Atlantic

The purported benefits of microdosing psychedelics are as numerous as the research is sparse. The technique, which involves ingesting small amounts of LSD, mushrooms, or other psychedelic drugs every three or four days, has made headlines for its popularity as a “productivity hack” among the Silicon Valley elite. But anecdotal endorsements of microdosing claim that the routine can lead to a whole variety of benefits, including heightened emotional sensitivity, athletic performance, and creativity; and relief from symptoms of anxiety, depression, OCD, PTSD, and chronic pain—all without resulting in any sort of trip.

In a lab setting, meanwhile, these effects have hardly been studied. Microdosing straddles a line between homeopathic remedy and experimental biohacking as a promising tool that hasn’t yet made its way through the clinical system’s rigorous checks and balances. Now a new study published Monday in the journal ACS Chemical Neuroscience provides the first biological evidence that psychedelic microdosing could have unique therapeutic effects that differ from the effects of a full dose.

For David Olson, a professor in the chemistry and neuroscience departments at the University of California at Davis and one of the paper’s authors, it started with ketamine. Over the past few years, Olson watched as the formerly notorious anesthetic cum party drug was rebranded as an experimental miracle for treatment-resistant depression. Ketamine has the ability to rebuild fraying connections between brain cells integral to networks that regulate emotions and mood, thanks to an effect known as neural plasticity. Olson suspected that the process by which ketamine promotes this type of plasticity could be activated by other substances as well, and in June his team published a paper showing that in rats, psychedelics such as LSD, ecstasy, and dimethyltryptamin, or DMT, mirror ketamine’s effects.

When the study ended, Olson began to wonder if the therapeutic benefits could also be achieved through microdosing. Along with the psychedelic effects of the drugs, he’d found that standard doses gave his rats fierce anxiety, which seemed like a high price to pay for an effective antidepressant. “I really wanted to answer the question as to whether or not the psychedelic effects of these compounds were necessary for the therapeutic effects,” Olson says.

At that point, there had only been four published studies on microdosing: three based on interviews with anonymous users who reported the effects, and one write-up of a conference where attendees ingested psychedelic truffles. (A fifth microdosing study, also interview-based but the first with an empirical setup, was published last month in the journal PLOS One.) For the new study, Olson’s team calculated a dosage of DMT—which is chemically like a stripped-down version of LSD or psilocybin “magic” mushrooms—that was too small to produce any psychedelic effects. They gave it to the rats every three days. On off days, the animals completed tests, including two experimental proxies for human anxiety and depression, respectively: a repetitive fear exercise, and a forced-swim test that looks at whether the animal will simply give up when in danger.

Seven weeks later, the researchers found that even though the rats weren’t given enough DMT to hallucinate, their depression and anxiety scores still improved significantly. The uptick in anxiety associated with the higher dose of DMT was nowhere to be found in the rats that had taken intermittent microdoses. Olson says "the study demonstrates that the therapeutic effects of psychedelics—in rats, at least—can indeed be harnessed independently of the psychedelic effects." It appears that each of DMT’s distinct effects can be activated only if the amount of the drug present crosses a certain threshold. For the benefits of neural plasticity, that threshold seems to be lower.

For most substances, a study like this could quickly prompt more research that would eventually open the door to clinical trials. But for psychedelics, which are highly illegal substances in the United States that fall among the most strictly regulated both in and out of labs, the progression of research can be slower. “There has been a very big transformation of how psychedelics are perceived in society over the past 10 years,” says Balazs Szigeti, a researcher at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai who is currently collecting data for a self-blinding study of microdosing. “Animal-model research is helpful in moving it forward, but the major hurdle to conducting a large-scale clinical study on microdosing is the money.”

In the 1950s and ’60s, tons of research funding in the United States and abroad was dedicated to studying the effects that psychedelics have on consciousness, creativity, and spirituality. But psychedelics were outlawed under President Richard Nixon’s Controlled Substances Act. Grant money for psychedelics research quickly dried up, and by the time researchers decades later became curious about the esoteric substances, most prior research had been rendered effectively useless by modern scientific standards. Grant money can still be hard to come by.

Noah Sweat, a program coordinator at the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s School of Public Health, claims that the specter of this politicization continues to influence psychedelics research. “People now that are in positions of authority, either over departments that would be researching [psychedelics] or over the grant-awarding processes, might not have any sort of political objection to the research, but just have kind of absorbed the ambient cultural attitude toward them,” he says.

Still, psychedelics have potential dangers. When Olson’s team first gave rats standard, non-micro doses of psychedelics, one potential benefit they observed was a boost in the growth of dendritic spines—small protrusions that boost the activity of communicatory cells—in the part of the brain that controls personality and social behavior. The team expected to see the same effect from a microdose, but instead found almost the opposite. “In the male rats, we saw no change in neuronal structure; and in the females, we actually saw a decrease in dendritic-spine density,” Olson says. To his team, these results were concerning: In some cases, it looked almost like the DMT was having a cytotoxic effect, proving fatal to brain cells.

Olson hopes that by experimentally adjusting different elements of the study, he can figure out a safe way to determine the boundaries of microdosing’s benefits and harms. One factor he’s especially interested in looking into is age, which he says can greatly limit the degree to which a boost in neural plasticity is helpful. "Microdosing during neurodevelopment could be really, really bad,” Olson explains. “On the other hand, the aging brain is a little more susceptible to issues of cytotoxicity, and so that also could be very, very bad. There could be only a very narrow window of time in which they might work.”

Maybe microdosing is the perfect answer for treatment-resistant depression between the ages of 30 and 40, but harmful at any other age. The idea that a tiny psychedelic dose could damage the same brain structures that a full dose reinforces feels counterintuitive, but might be something committed microdosers should consider. So much of what is understood about how various substances work presumes a sort of graded spectrum of effects. Could microdosing, which we still know so little about, be an exception to the rule?

“There’s that saying,” Olson says, “that the difference between a medicine and a poison is the dose.”

Haley Weiss is a former assistant editor at The Atlantic.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
microdosers-of-lsd-and-magic-mushrooms-are-wiser-and-more-creative-311419-1280x720.webp

Microdosers of LSD and magic mushrooms are wiser and more creative

by Thomas Anderson and Rotem Petranker | DAILY MAVERICK | 9 Jan 2022

We just ran the first ever pre-registered scientific study on the microdosing of psychedelics and found some very promising results.

We compared people who microdose — that is, who take a psychedelic substance such as LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) or “magic” mushrooms (psilocybin) in very small quantities — with those who don’t, and found that microdosers had healthier scores on key mental health and well-being measures.

Specifically, we found that microdosers scored higher on measures of wisdom, open-mindedness and creativity.

Microdosers also scored lower on measures of dysfunctional attitudes and negative emotionality, which is very promising.

Subtle changes, not hallucinations

Psychedelics microdosing can mean taking five to 20 micrograms of LSD, 0.1 – 0.3 grams of dried psilocybin-containing mushrooms or very low doses of more exotic substances, like 1P-LSD, ALD-52 or 4-AcO-DMT.

No matter the substance, microdosing implies a dose so low that the individual experiences only subtle changes, not hallucinations. People are not “tripping” on a microdose; they just go about their regular day, whether that means studying at school, going to work or taking care of the kids at home.

At the time of publishing this story, in 2018, there had been no published science on whether microdosing works, but despite this, microdosing for self-enhancement and mental health has hit the media.

For example, a 2016 article in Wired magazine described young professionals in San Francisco and Silicon Valley microdosing to enhance their creativity and focus, and to gain a competitive advantage.

Ayelet Waldman attributed her increased well-being to microdosing in A Really Good Day: How Microdosing Made a Mega Difference in My Mood, My Marriage and My Life. Michael Pollan’s How to Change Your Mind has further attracted mainstream attention to psychedelics.

Higher wisdom and creativity

As of November 2018, no experimental study had evaluated psychedelic microdosing, and neither did we.

Randomized placebo-controlled trials are needed to talk definitively about the effects of microdosing. In the meantime, we investigated the experiences of people who already microdose.

Our survey investigated the relationship between microdosing psychedelics and mental health. We recruited participants online, especially from Reddit’s microdosing community.

We asked our study participants about their microdosing patterns by having them fill in some questionnaires. As firm believers in Open Science, we have openly shared all our materials and you can find them here. Our findings are soon to be published in Psychopharmacology and you can access the preprint here.

We found that microdosers scored higher on “wisdom,” but wisdom is a tricky thing to define. In this context, “wisdom” implies considering multiple perspectives, learning from mistakes, being in tune with emotions and people and feeling a sense of connection. Using this definition, microdosers were more “wise.”

They were also more creative and open. If wisdom is tricky, creativity is even more so. In this case, creativity meant finding unusual uses for regular household objects: A brick and a knife. Microdosers came up with more useful, unusual and unique uses for these objects. This is a well-validated measure of divergent thinking, though certainly not the be-all and end-all of creativity.

Microdosers also scored lower on measures of dysfunctional attitudes and negative emotionality. What does that mean?

Well, dysfunctional attitudes and negative emotionality (aka neuroticism) are bad. Dysfunctional attitudes are beliefs such as, “my value as a person depends greatly on what others think of me” or “if I ask a question, it makes me look inferior.” Neither of these are true, and they are unhealthy to believe as they imply vulnerability to stress and depression.

Microdosers endorsed less of these unhealthy beliefs. Likewise, high negative emotionality means a higher likelihood of having a mental health disorder, and microdosers had lower negative emotionality.

An exciting future for clinical science

Our results are promising. As promising as they seem, we don’t know whether microdosing actually caused any of these differences.

Maybe people with better mental health were more likely to experiment with microdosing, or perhaps there is some unknown cause that made people both more likely to microdose and to be creative.

At this point, we simply don’t know what caused the differences between the groups — just that these differences existed. We need to run controlled lab studies to actually find out.

Our preliminary work also shows that people report downsides to microdosing. For example, some people found microdosing increased anxiety and mood-instability; increased aches, pains and gastrointestinal distress were also relatively common.

The most common drawback was that microdosing is illegal. Did we forget to mention that? Yes, psychedelics are totally illegal!

LSD and psilocybin were made illegal in the 1971 UN Convention on Psychotropic Substances and remain so today. The exact laws differ depending on where you live, and using analogue substances can sometimes be a legal grey area but, for the most part, microdosing makes you a criminal.

What we need now are controlled lab experiments — randomized placebo-controlled trials of psychedelic microdosing to test safety and efficacy. Microdosing research, alongside full-dose psychedelics, promises an exciting future for clinical science and the study of human flourishing. DM/ML

This story was first published in The Conversation in November 2018.

Thomas Anderson is a PhD student at the University of Toronto. Rotem Petranker is a PhD student in Clinical Psychology at York University, Canada.

Last edited:
2B25EC4700000578-3370542-image-a-22_1450800312717.jpg

Could microdosing psychedelics lift depression?

Robert T. Muller Ph.D. | Psychology Today | Dec 19, 2019

Prescribed medication for mental health issues works for some, but not others. In fact, a study measuring the prevalence of treatment-resistant depression (TRD) in the UK found that 55% of participants met the study’s definition of TRD. Seeking out alternative treatments often becomes the next step for people who do not respond well to medication. Assistant professor David Olson at the University of California, Davis, explains:

“Mind-altering drugs are already being used in the clinic. Ketamine is being prescribed off-label to [treat] depression, and MDMA is entering phase three [the most advanced phase] of clinical trials to treat post-traumatic stress disorder.”

And so, an increasingly popular trend in recent years has been self-administering small doses of psychedelic drugs, such as LSD or magic mushrooms, as an attempt to improve mental health. This is known as micro-dosing. Psychedelic drugs elicit hallucinations, intensified emotions, and changes in sensory feedback and the perception of time when taken in full doses; but, when taken in smaller amounts (approximately one-tenth of a full dose), these drugs are thought by some to be linked to improved mood and energy, reduced anxiety, better focus, and enhanced creativity.

Twenty-seven-year-old Erica Avey, who was interviewed by The Guardian's magazine, was experiencing mental health difficulties and decided to try micro-dosing on LSD:

“I started microdosing essentially because I was in a really depressed stage of my life. It was for mental health reasons—mood balancing, mood management. It was hard for me to leave my apartment and do normal things…”

By taking approximately one-sixth (about 15 micrograms) of a full dose of LSD every three days, Erika says she was able to go to work and function normally:

“It lifted me out of a pretty deep depression. I’m still trying to wrap my head around what it has done to me in the long-term. I think it has changed me.”

Not only does Erica consider microdosing to have helped her feel less depressed, but it also made her less ruminative and more self-aware:

“I’m able to be more mindful of my emotions. If I’m feeling sad, that’s OK. I don’t obsess anymore. I don’t dwell on it. I don’t get worked up about it.”

Others have also tried microdosing to help with depression and low mood. Ayelet Waldman, author of A Really Good Day: How Microdosing Made a Mega Difference in My Mood, My Marriage, and My Life, says she had no luck with conventional medications, claiming that microdosing on LSD saved her from her intolerable mood storms, changing her life for the better.

The subject of psychedelic microdosing remains relatively untouched by researchers. The first study on the microdosing of psychedelics was only conducted in 2017 by Thomas Anderson of the University of Toronto, along with York University’s Rotem Petranker and colleagues. The study looked at over 300 micro-dosers in the Reddit community to examine the effects of microdosing on mental health. The authors found that micro-dosers tend to harbour less dysfunctional attitudes, exhibit less negative emotionality, and score higher on measures of wisdom, open-mindedness, and creativity. In an interview with The Trauma and Mental Health Report, author Thomas Anderson spoke about the widespread population of microdosers:

“The population was surprisingly well-spread… across all sorts of socioeconomic statuses, and all sorts of different occupations. Microdosing was most popular among students… but there was just a huge spread—everything from lawyers, to computer scientists, software developers, professors, construction workers, janitors, and single moms.”

Although most microdosers in the study reported improved mood, some experienced negative effects, as Rotem Petranker cautions:

“There were a lot of parallels in reported benefits and drawbacks of microdosing. Some people were reporting better focus, and some people were reporting worse focus, or some people were reporting lower anxiety, and some were reporting higher anxiety. And so it’s difficult to parse these results…”

Even with the reported benefits of psychedelic microdosing, without randomized placebo-control trials, it is difficult to rule out placebo effects and to draw clear conclusions. These trials are the next step in microdosing research.

And then, of course, we can’t overlook the fact that these drugs are illegal. For microdosers, this was the most significant drawback of microdosing. Thomas explains:

“The most commonly reported drawback is that it’s illegal… that also includes trying to buy substances, and not having a steady supply, and not knowing exactly what you’re getting… especially in synthetic cases like LSD. Whenever you’re getting a dose on the black market, you don’t know exactly what you’re getting.”

Experimenting with microdosing is not for everyone. There are greater risks associated with microdosing for those who have experienced psychosis, have ongoing anxiety, or suffer from more severe mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder. This is true for Allan (name changed) from Reddit, who suffers from bipolar disorder:

“My first truly manic episode was after a mushroom trip. I was diagnosed as bipolar soon after…psychedelics can bring on, sometimes extended, bouts of mania and hypomania.”

Possible long-term effects, such as increased tolerance to a given drug following repeated use, and side effects of psychedelic microdosing remain unknown. Rotem explains:

“One of the concerns was that there is an unknown risk effect profile… we don’t know the risks. And the fact that we don’t know is one of the drawbacks of microdosing.”

And so, the jury is still out. Rotem adds:

“There could be a lot of individual differences at play, and since setting is really important in full-dose psychedelics, it may also be the case that setting is important in microdosing to some degree… we really just need randomized placebo-control trials to figure out what’s what.”

microdosing-MDMA-mental-health-issues-research-900x500.jpg

What research says about microdosing MDMA for mental health issues

by Sam Woolfe | HEALING MAPS | 4 Jan 2022

When people microdose, they will typically use magic mushrooms or LSD. Sometimes, other psychedelics will be used, such as mescaline and DMT. Then there are users who microdose not with psychedelics at all, but with substances like cannabis and MDMA.

This post specifically focuses on the practice of microdosing MDMA as a way to deal with mental health issues. It explores what research indicates about this practice, as well as any harm reduction tips if considering microdosing MDMA.

No studies have directly looked at microdosing MDMA

Unlike LSD and psilocybin mushrooms, there are no studies directly looking at the effects of microdosing MDMA. Microdoses of MDMA would be doses of the compound so small that you don’t have the classic MDMA experience, which includes strong feelings of euphoria, empathy, love, or physical effects like bruxism (teeth grinding, jaw clenching) and sweating.

There are various studies on the effects of low doses of MDMA, such as 50mg, and a more recent study that gave participants 40mg. But these doses would induce noticeable classic MDMA effects. This is generally not considered a microdose.

A microdose is generally one-tenth to one-twentieth of a normal recreational dose. If a typical dose of MDMA is 100mg, then a microdose would be around 10mg. Researchers have not looked at the subjective effects, safety, or long-term effects of regularly taking MDMA at this dosage.

Research on macrodosing MDMA

Despite the dearth of research on microdosing MDMA, we do, fortunately, have a large body of research on larger doses of MDMA. And these studies may be able to inform us somewhat of the safety of microdosing this compound.

The safety of MDMA

The first randomized controlled study on MDMA as a therapeutic tool found that the drug is safe and effective for patients with treatment-resistant post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Further research has confirmed the safety of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy in doses including 40mg, 100mg, and 125mg.

These are studies on MDMA in a controlled and supervised setting. Also, participants often have only two sessions with MDMA. This is different from how many people recreationally use MDMA, which might be many times over the course of a year. Moreover, when microdosing MDMA, this will typically involve taking MDMA two to three times a week, potentially for months at a time.

We simply don’t know yet how this impacts people’s physical and mental health, as well as cognitive function, in the long-term.

Studies on MDMA

When it comes to studies looking at the effects of recreationally using MDMA, the results are mixed. There has been debate about the neurotoxic effects of MDMA in humans. Some studies show that MDMA has damaged serotonin receptors in the brain. And this effect has been implicated in other long-term effects seen in regular MDMA users, such as worsened mental health and cognitive function.

However, many studies on the neurotoxic effects of MDMA are on mice, not humans. Plus, studies on humans often look at people with heavy use patterns. Researchers have found no convincing evidence that moderate MDMA use is associated with harmful brain alterations. Some studies have even found that repeated low doses of MDMA can provide neuroprotection against a subsequent neurotoxic dose of MDMA.

Factors that contribute to the neurotoxicity of MDMA include a high dose, taking high doses frequently, and taking MDMA in a hot environment.

The available research does not mean that repeated low doses of MDMA — or microdosing MDMA — are definitely not neurotoxic.

Maartje de Win, MD, PhD, has stressed that “we cannot exclude that MDMA even in low doses is neurotoxic to the brain.” It could be that microdoses, since they are much lower than low doses, pose a smaller risk. More research is necessary to establish this.

Monitor tolerance to MDMA

Due to MDMA’s effects on serotonin and concerns about possible neurotoxicity, this drug is not often the go-to choice as a compound for microdosing. Both psilocybin and LSD have better safety profiles than MDMA — so microdosing these compounds may be less harmful. While many people may microdose MDMA without reporting problems, taking very low doses of MDMA may result in negative effects.

Taking MDMA routinely over time tends to increase tolerance. This means you require a higher dosage to achieve the desired effect. If that happens, and you do start taking higher doses, then the risks of regular dosing increase.

Treating mental health issues with MDMA

Several studies have demonstrated that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy is highly effective in the treatment of PTSD. In 2017, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation to MDMA for treating PTSD. This sped up the process of carrying out further clinical trials. MDMA therapy can also be helpful for people struggling with social anxiety, alcoholism, and relationship issues.

Based on this research, people might try microdosing MDMA as a way to treat conditions like depression, anxiety, and social anxiety. Just as many people find that microdosing LSD or psilocybin mushrooms improve their mental health, people who microdose MDMA may find similar results.

However, the mental health effects of taking macrodoses of MDMA do not necessarily mean that microdoses of MDMA will also lead to significant improvements in mental health.

If you are looking to improve your mental health and personal relationships with MDMA, so far, the evidence suggests that two-to-three moderate doses of the drug in a therapeutic setting leads to significant and sustained improvements. So it might be more likely you’d feel long-term benefits from these experiences compared to microdosing MDMA.

MDMA abuse

MDMA is a substance that many people abuse. The same does not really apply to psychedelics that people commonly microdose, like psilocybin and LSD. These psychedelics have a low potential for abuse.

Taking MDMA causes a surge of dopamine. This is a reward chemical that motivates people to repeat the action that caused that surge. Classic psychedelics, in contrast, do not affect dopamine in the same way.

MDMA abuse typically involves high doses. While microdosing MDMA involves tiny doses, due to the problem of tolerance mentioned earlier, there is a potential risk that microdosing might turn into MDMA abuse.

For example, if you microdose MDMA and you experience benefits like reduced anxiety and increased social confidence and happiness, you might take higher doses to achieve these effects when your tolerance to the drug increases.

Harm reduction tips for microdosing MDMA

Research on microdosing MDMA is lacking, so we simply don’t know if regularly taking tiny doses of the drug is safe or effective. For anyone considering microdosing MDMA — or currently doing it — it’s important to follow some essential harm reduction practices.​
  • Test your batch. If buying MDMA, you may end up with a different and more harmful substance. Common drugs missold as MDMA include PMA, which has been implicated in a number of deaths. This is why you should always test any batch of MDMA you have. You can buy MDMA testing kits from providers such as DanceSafe.​
  • Start with a very low dose. If you try a twentieth of the normal dose of MDMA and feel a benefit, there might not be a need to dose higher. Research generally finds that low doses of MDMA are safe, so it’s possible that microdoses could be even safer. However, studies have yet to prove this.​
  • Regulate dosage. If there are no effects from MDMA after a two-day break between dosing days, your tolerance may have increased. In this case, you shouldn’t microdose at that frequency.​
  • Stay in control. If you notice negative effects on mental health from microdosing MDMA, either consider stopping or changing your regimen. It’s possible you could be dosing too often or too high.​
Other than following the above tips, you could try microdosing a classic psychedelic instead of MDMA.

Microdosing MDMA may increase health risks

Science writer Patrick Smith highlights that anecdotal reports of microdosing MDMA bring a mix of results. Nonetheless, the negative reports often involve effects not seen with microdosing LSD or magic mushrooms. These effects include disrupted sleep and a worsening of mood disorders.

Smith writes the following.​
“It’s best to assume that any chronic, long-term activation of the 5HT2B receptors on the heart could have health risks. MDMA is one of the strongest activators of the 5HT2B receptor, so it could still be having a significant effect at low doses. Despite the reports of beneficial effects from microdosing MDMA, we don’t recommend trying it. Perhaps a therapeutic dose, in a comfortable surrounding and with appropriate support, is still the safest and most effective way of benefiting from ecstasy.”

Indeed, it’s best to make an informed decision when it comes to taking these mood-altering substances. That means looking at available evidence on what kind of use is safe and effective. This also means avoiding any unnecessary risks.

Two to three sessions of MDMA-assisted therapy have the potential to significantly improve mental health issues, with minimal risk. But we don’t yet know if the same applies to microdosing.