Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | JessFR | tathra
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Michelle Tells The Oprah Americans Are Hopeless

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
How uplifting and Inspiring. This is what psychologists call projection.

We are feeling what not having hope feels like,” Obama told Winfrey in response to a question about whether President Obama had achieved the “hope and change” he promised while campaigning in 2008.

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/12/16/michelle-obama-says-america-is-entering-a-time-of-hopelessness/

But a foxnews poll says more than half murkins are hopeful about the Trampster.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/12/14/new-poll-americans-hopeful-about-donald-trump-they-have-low-expectations

JessFR

Moderator: CEPS
Staff member
I see it over and over again from both the left and the right. Both sides consider themselves to be representitive of "real americans" and completely dismiss that there are a lot of americans who disagree with them.

The left refuses to acknowledge that a lot of real americans don't or didn't want obamacare.
The right refuses to acknowledge that a lot of real americans did or do want it.

You see it again and again with a range of issues. And generally i find both sides consider themselves the persecuted underdogs.

It's a great way to keep both sides so busy with fighting eachother that no real positive change happens. Neither side will compromise out of fear the other side will betray them. And both will betray the other for fear of being betrayed first.

It's all so futile. Lots of work, energy, effort, but no progression.

I blame social media for a lot of it. Its not the cause but it has made things worse. It has confined everyone to echo chambers ensuring their only friends and social contacts are others who believe what they do so both sides think everyone else thinks like they do and that the otherside is a loud vocal minority that is supressing them. Both refusing to acknowledge that there are legitimate beliefs and stupid bullshit on both sides.

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
I intellectually understand the difference between those that have no hope...and those for which you have no hope for. In this case i think the title is quite appropriate. Im sticking with it.

w01fg4ng

Moderator: TL, CD
Staff member
I blame social media for a lot of it. Its not the cause but it has made things worse. It has confined everyone to echo chambers ensuring their only friends and social contacts are others who believe what they do so both sides think everyone else thinks like they do and that the otherside is a loud vocal minority that is supressing them. Both refusing to acknowledge that there are legitimate beliefs and stupid bullshit on both sides.
I see a lot of hate for social media on this board, and I understand that people want REAL news, but isn't pointing the finger at these kinds of things just a circular argument?

I take pride in the fact that I have both liberal and conservative friends on social media from around the world. Extremist too. Both liberal and conservative people that would make this whole board look dull.

I'm still friends with them. I find it valuable to have access quickly to people that I don't relate to very easily. Maybe that's just me.

JessFR

Moderator: CEPS
Staff member
I see a lot of hate for social media on this board, and I understand that people want REAL news, but isn't pointing the finger at these kinds of things just a circular argument?

I take pride in the fact that I have both liberal and conservative friends on social media from around the world. Extremist too. Both liberal and conservative people that would make this whole board look dull.

I'm still friends with them. I find it valuable to have access quickly to people that I don't relate to very easily. Maybe that's just me.
Im not saying there arent good ways to use social media, or there it can't ever be a constructive thing, but I do think it is used in a way that is ultimately to a detrement for the majority of people I've seen.

You may not be using it as a bubble that reenforces your existing opinions, but I maintain a lot of people do use it that way.

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
I still dont have a newsfeed on facebook. Messages, events, notifications i got...a newsfeed i do not. I get posts from my friends and groups....no news. If news on facebook means the posts from your friends that they post related to news items...then i am at a loss as to what "fake news" zuckerberg is going to filter. How will an algorithm determine what the fake news is? What about satire? It is up to individuals to censor for themselves what is real or not. That is called having a brain. It really is a sad thing to know that so many people depend on facebook for their news. I love facebook myself and i love the variety of stories post as well as the reactions people have. I love the groups i am in ansd keepimng up with the latest on kratom and iboga and guitars and communicating with family and old classmates. Not sure what else to say about that.

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
I wish i had a map to illustrate how reletively stable the ME was including Iraq when obama took office compared to what is taking place there now. Now Jordan and Israel are the only places of relative calm.

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
By 2008 Iraqi civilian deaths were below the numbers from the first year of the war. I misspoke and should have said 2009 but using 2008 as a benchmark for relative calm in the ME still holds true as long as we are gonna get technical about it.

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
Just a precursory search of the numbers from Iraq from 2003 to 2009 and comparing them to Syria war and deaths from the caliphate after 2014....the numbers are stunning.

Hindsight is 20/20 but seems Iraq and Syria would have been better off had the Americans stayed in Iraq and if Obama had deposed Assad. The Americans faught a way cleaner war than the Syrian army and the armies of allah. A majority of civilian deaths in iraq were from rival sects...not western soldiers. And obviously the Syrian army is a rival sect too in a manor of speaking. Most Americans dont want the usa to police the world but looking at the suffering in Syria, Somalia, Yemen, Sudan, the numerous African wars and massacres...USA will be dammed no matter what in the eyes of many. Just sticking with Iraq and Syria...USA will always be blammed in the end. Id never argue the USA should have just let Saddam have tiny Kuwait but given the way the Saddam and Bashar faught/fight there seems no good options at all.

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
^ i think the middle east would have been shit if romney won. it will always be shit no matter who wins US elections. the different degrees of shitiness fluctuate maybe....but they are all very severe in degree of shitiness. its not really something worth arguing about which US party did better at preventing a bunch of savages from killing eachother over magical ancient books