• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mexico Wants To Decriminalize All Drugs And Negotiate With The U.S. To Do The Same

rwtrwt

Bluelighter
Mexico’s president released a new plan last week that called for radical reform to the nation’s drug laws and negotiating with the United States to take similar steps.
The plan put forward by the administration of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, often referred to by his initials as AMLO, calls for decriminalizing illegal drugs and transferring funding for combating the illicit substances to pay for treatment programs instead. It points to the failure of the decades-long international war on drugs, and calls for negotiating with the international community, and specifically the U.S., to ensure the new strategy’s success.
“The ‘war on drugs’ has escalated the public health problem posed by currently banned substances to a public safety crisis,” the policy proposal, which came as part of AMLO’s National Development Plan for 2019-2024, read. Mexico’s current “prohibitionist strategy is unsustainable,” it argued.

Read the whole article.

Several drugs, including cocaine, heroin, LSD, and MDMA, have been decriminalized in Mexico for quite a while, albeit only in ridiculously small quantities. It would be nice to know more details about exactly how they intend to extend this.

I agree, it will be interesting to see. AMLO ran on a very progressive platform regarding drugs, including legalizing small-scale opium production (IIRC)...in central & south america it seems like drug policy reform is really an idea whose time has come.

if mexico legalizes heroin cocaineand meth....there will need to a be a wall...to keep americans from flooding over the border into mexico.

seriously though, the US is not ready. We have red states being dragged kicking and screaming into the present century and its a brutal fight to get them to come along.

I have recently started brushing up on my Spanish and recently went to Mexico. This would be amazballs if it happened. I wonder if there was anything I could do to speed this along