• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Metoclopramide and Oxycodone

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I'm taking an anti-emetic (metoclopramide -- 10mg) for some mild nausea. Is oxy safe to use in conjunction with this anti-emetic?

(Note: Posted in OD as I thought those in BDD may not know of metoclopramide.)

ooh burnnn lol
the BDD guys are very knowledgeable man, but anyway, after a quick google i came to this conclusion;

"Therefore, metoclopramide, possibly through its actions on D2 receptors and not 5-HT3receptors, enhances the analgesic and antihyperalgesic effects of morphine, but morphine exacerbates metoclopramide-induced motor dysfunction in rats" ;)

in sum, yep it's safe - together they work as great painkillers - but it may effect your motor functions a little, wobbliness or poor coordination like walking intoxicated, but only in higher doses. you're fine!

[source]

Thanks, keeping! I searched Bluelight for this combo and one poster mentioned metoclopramide mixed with opiates causes DYSPHORIA for some reason ... blocking receptors opiates act upon ... or something. Also, you mentioned meto and morphine ... I assume it is just as safe as oxy?

yes the study i sourced experimented with meto and morphine on rats but i don't think it makes a whole world of difference, one's an opiate the others an opioid - both painkilling analgesics. are you prescribed this combo by the way?

Nope, Keeping. I'm prescribed meto but not oxy.

right, well possibly take less oxy than normal for your first time in conjunction with meto and it may make the analgesic effects greater and also impede your motor performance

Will do. Just worried about overdosing ... but I've read articles and have only heard of people becoming restless and agitated after taking meto. Couldn't find much about combining the two. Also, is 10mg of meto a low dose? That's what I was prescribed.

i'm sorry but i can't help you with meto dosages, i only heard of it when you posted this thread.

Will do. Just worried about overdosing ... but I've read articles and have only heard of people becoming restless and agitated after taking meto. Couldn't find much about combining the two. Also, is 10mg of meto a low dose? That's what I was prescribed.

Metoclopramide is a dopamine receptor antagonist; most members of this class of drugs are used as antipsychotics, and metoclopramide shares many of their side effects, which is why it should not be used at high doses for extended periods of time. Psychiatrists now prefer to prescribe "atypical" antipsychotics like Quetiapine which are more selective for serotonin over dopamine, as these can be taken at higher doses before intolerable or dangerous side effects appear; likewise, ondansetron is often prescribed instead of meto for nausea for this reason.

Just a quick explanation of some of the side effects that have already been mentioned:
* "Motor dysfunction": When dopaminergic neurons die off, you get Parkinson's. When too many of them are blocked by a dopamine antagonist, you (temporarily) start exhibiting parkinson-like symptoms.
* anhedonia: blocking too many dopaminergic neurons leads to a decreased ability to experience pleasure
* restlessness: "Akathisia", an intense feeling of discomfort when sitting still. Another side-effect commonly associated with high doses of old-school antipsychotics

Now, if it's just occasional bouts of nausea and you don't exceed the prescribed dosage, metoclopramide is pretty well tolerated. But use it too often and above the prescribed dose, and you might do permanent damage to your dopamine system.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to use it on a regular basis to counteract the nausea or potentiate the "nod" induced by the recreational use of opioids.

Last edited: