• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methaqualone

Anyone here familiar with etaqualone? I would appriciate hearing personal experiences before i decide if it's worth aquiring some.

This is a South African documentary about drug use in various parts of the world and sociolegal aspects (actually pretty good). But shows mandrax smoking at the very begining and very end (at about 26:15 on timer). I think its good to include to allow a more balanced understanding of this drug by showing its use in a more extreem ghetto setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCClK5bWkU

Its used primarily in the Cape Town area and the prefered method- smoking with dagga (cannabis) is shown- called "white pipe".

etaqualone, which is sorta similar to methaqualone isn't too hard to find. methaqualone is very hard unfortunately. i was super lucky to get to try it once from a great source of mine. it looked like clear methaqualone crystals, looked very similar to crystal meth.

LO Valium- A thread was started on ADD:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=404056

Hope this helps answer some of your answers about etaqualone.

To go with mandrax smoking scenes in you tube documentary I posted in my previous post I found in google books a book called rainbow vice by ted leggett. I'll post the excerpt latter because the link is on my other laptop. In the chapter "white pipe gangsterism" they get into the whole methaqualone smoking scene in SA.

It talks about the history of mandrax abuse. The pills called "buttons" on the street are crushed up and smoked. In contrast to other countries that saw the use of MQ decrease in the early 80s and then die out by the end of the decade. In South Africa use and abuse increased through the 80s until 70% of all drug seizures in SA were for this drug. Aparently, the drug is being produced in labs in India primarily- both licit and illicit was initially imported into SA via the large Indian South African population. There is also a compelling argument mentioned that the aparteid government was involved in producing MQ to pacify non whites- some of this evidence came out in the findings of the Truth and Reconcilliation Commission (TRC).

This excerpt mentions the market for mandrax. An overview of how its produced and pressed into pills. Aparently big buttons are sought after and called "titanics". In spite of the fact that buttons must be reduced to powder in order to smoke in a white pipe, people will not buy MQ in a powder form- this phenomena is similar to yaba in thailand. Whether because of nostalgia or the pills imply greater legitamacy and cant be cut after pressing only the pill form is available on the market. They are usually 30-80% MQ with diphehydramine which potentiates the drug. They are usually pressed with "Mx" imprints and disturbingly swastikas and SS logos (even though they are not produced by white supremicist gangs, but by mostly by coloured or Indian gangs). Star of Davids are on some buttons and other logos too ("golfstix" are kind of like the VW logo upside down, were the M commes together forming an X except there is a seperation or the logo broken in half vertically rather than horizontally like the VW logo .)

The methods of smoking are described too. "To make a white pipe, a beer bottle is broken off at the neck so that part of the body remains attached." [You can see this in the you tube docu I posted]. Sometimes the fracture line is softened with a flame, to make a cleaner break. A 'pacie' is created by folding a piece of cigarette foil or other paper into a spiral shape. This is wedged in the neck of the bottle and acts as a filter." Certain particular brands of tobacco are mixed with a specially prepared low grade cannabis (dagga) called "majat". The button is then crushed and applied to the top of the preparation forming the "cream". " A lighter is then applied to the cream and the user draws from the bottom."

The experience is then described. "The white pipe experience is an intense one. The initial rush is so powerful that many users 'ert' or 'earth' immediately after use. They lose conciousness of their surroundings and fall to the ground drooling. The total loss of control means that mandrax (Mx) can only be smoked among trusted companions, which reinforces the social nature of the drug." Aparently once this stage is over, users slip into a euphoric peaceful state that that has been likened to heroin intoxication but with more incoordination.:|

The majat is prepared from low quality dagga and tobacco. It is unclear what the full story is with its preparation according to the author but parafin wax and other additives are introduced to facilitate the vaporizing of Mx. "Users say majat is preferred for white pipe because it does not overpower the Mx and because it blackens nicely." In the documentary you can see the white pipes sparking, I wonder if its the Mx or an additive in the majat the causes the preparation to spark. Its trippy that people develop different methods to optimize the smoking of different drugs and that alot of the paraphenelia is similar for each drug even between different parts of the world. A kind of convergent evolution. The majat mentioned sounds like its similar to the prefered way PCP is package in the Silicon Valley. The material that the KJ is sprayed on to form a lenios is usually parsely or dirt weed. Although with KJ there is less of a concern of overpowering the high because its already a drug that overpowers most others-but whats choosen might have been because it optimizes the vaporization of the PCP. As usual I digress. But anyway this is a good book excerpt and not a long read. I recomend highly you read this if you are even the least bit interested in the Mx phenomena in South Africa or methaqualone in general.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y4...=10#v=onepage&q=mandrax south africa'&f=false

And for my example of the phenomena of convergent evolution between different drug scenes here is a youtube Al Jazeera broadcast on tik (meth) use in South Africa. The pipes they use there are the same types that are used here in California. But in keeping with the thread, one of the Tik heads smokes Mx to chill out his meth high at the very end.8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySLoAvfthIU

Enjoy

Last edited:
ive always wanted to try it, to bad i probly never will be able to

Wanted to add a little tidbit about the qualude high since that has been a theme lately (alcohol like substitutes- along that axis). This is from opiophile, an experience report:

I'm glad you remembered the Sopors...God the insanity ludes brought on...So much incredibly nasty sex. The only true orgies I ever attended were parties where there was a fairly large container of 714's at the front door and an empty one next to it in which everyone placed their car keys. They were the only drug that caused attractive women to actually just grab you and startgoing at it. The inhibitions just disappeared. I did lose a couple of friends to quaalude related car wrecks.

They were so much more tactile and just plain happy than any barbituate ( which were also available in excess back then- seconal; tuinal nembutal etc) that they really had to be outlawed. Anyone who ever took one knew immediately what a waste it was to go to sleep on them just HAD to abuse them. I never even wanted to go to sleep on them. I COULD sleep; no problem; but I was having so much fun I wouldnt even consider it....I'm so glad that I was young then. No way I could have that much sex now. On a side note long term use destroyed your night vision or color vision. Thanks for the memories.

Good ole ludes

Anyone here familiar with etaqualone? I would appriciate hearing personal experiences before i decide if it's worth aquiring some.

ISTR some folks on an RC board getting hold of a batch of etaqualone and discovering that the dosage which gets you high is uncomfortably close to the dosage which causes seizures. There was some controversy as to whether this was due to the etaqualone or to a tainted batch.

Methaqualone is at the top of my short list of drugs I hope to use at least once before I die. I am hoping to run into an enterprising chemist someday. (Alternately, it would be a good excuse to visit South Africa).

Trick question: why is diphenhydramine (benadryl) put into mandrax pills along with methaqualone instead of marketing the pills with just methaqualone like Qualudes (Rorer 714s) and Parest methaqualone. What is the rationale of the drug manufacture or in this case toquiolone, the only place I know ludes are still Rx in Switzerland. They add benadryl too. What do you think the rationale is?

I have tried Ludes once as they were banned shortly before and i was doing a Madrax,from mexico which they called Mexican Quaaludes,anyway I felt all numb in the face,fell down alot and had a really good time,altho I don't remember a whole lot. Also they used to call them "leg spreaders" because of loss of inhibtions.Thats about all I can say about ludes,I was just a little too late,because like I said when I tried them,they had just been banned and I was getting some dude had saved , only been banned a few months then i think..

Trick question: why is diphenhydramine (benadryl) put into mandrax pills along with methaqualone instead of marketing the pills with just methaqualone like Qualudes (Rorer 714s) and Parest methaqualone. What is the rationale of the drug manufacture or in this case toquiolone, the only place I know ludes are still Rx in Switzerland. They add benadryl too. What do you think the rationale is?

A sedative antihistamine will add to the drowsiness and, I'm not sure, I'm too lazy to go check, maybe has metabolic potentiation.

If you can use two sedatives of different classes you can use less methaqualone than when it's alone. So, perhaps you can slow a person's tolerance build-up to the GABAergic methaqualone, meaning less dosage increases, meaning less of the severe withdrawal that's associated with that class of drug when treatment is terminated. And if one can get similar sedative effect with less methaqualone then you're decreasing the euphoria (and therefore abuse liability), you can decrease the amount of methaqualone the patient could divert to the street and the value of the drug (which impacts motivation to sell) compared to a tablet with simply a larger dose of methaqualone.

Mandrax is 250mg/25mg methaqualone/diphenhydramine, while Quaalude was 300mg methaqualone. Being of college age, I don't have the experience to say if they're equally effective, of course. I'm not sure if 250mg vs. 300mg makes a huge difference in the factors I mention, but I do think those may have been in their rationale.

EDIT: I don't why it didn't occur to me at the time, but pharmaceutical companies are always adding extra ingredients or new extended release mechanisms so they can have a new formulation to profit from without generics to lose money to for several years after. Sure, the stuff I said before still stands, but I think the business aspect is probably the biggest one here.

Last edited:
Just watched the documentary on the mandrax users in south africa. Why would they smoke the stuff when it would be perfectly fine not to mention much easier on the lungs just to eat the pills? Id eat my mandrax and smoke my weed.

[Just watched the documentary on the mandrax users in south africa. Why would they smoke the stuff when it would be perfectly fine not to mention much easier on the lungs just to eat the pills? Id eat my mandrax and smoke my weed./QUOTE] For the rush/ quick euphoric effect they get. Aparently some pass out or go down to the ground right away. Whats bizarre is that the doses come as tabs (buttons)- even though they are mostly crushed. The rationale is the bigger the pill the better the stuff and in pills there is less of a chance of them being adulturated.

Anwer to the question- diphenhydramine is used less for its sedative effect but because it interfers with the metabolism of methaqualone thus increasing plasma levels/ duration as the previous poster postulated.:)

Another trick question: what is the only country lrft were one can still legally get an Rx for methaqualone. ? I believe its the last place on earth (SA isnt the answer- its illicit there). What is the name of the formulation. Bonus question, in what country are these drugs synthesized for said drugs formulary.

i live in s.africa...you can still but it here easily,and its cheap. Its then crushed into a bottle neck with swhag herb and smoked...not really abused amongst people in my circle (looked down upon, but apparently its good for coming down after tik(meth) binges... tempted to get some now though...
hmmm

Last edited:
Coke and madrax are a classic combination. With Tik (meth to the rest of the world, barbs like seconal and nembutal or amytal were the perfect match) but these drugs aren't made much anymore. They just released seconal again in the US recently but it is not in midespread use. Mandrax and maybe a glass of wine or a tinny bit of xanax would probably be great for the comedown because of the similarities in mechanism of action between barbs and mandax, though not perfect. Nothing says you can't take the buttons orally- they should still work, usually take about 10 minutes, maybe 15 to kick in. Might not get the rush from smoking but better from a harm reduction standpoint. Moreover, with mandax's prosexual effects, might be a way to reinvigorate a tik fueled sex session when the jitteryness is creeping in. Who knows, the aphrodisiac effect might be synergistic. =D;)%)

Quiz question stands, were is the only country were you can get methaqualone Rxed legally and what is the formulation's name ( and what is the country the pharmaceutical lab that produces it- I leave this question in because it is Ironic, a country with some of the most druconian drug laws.8o

Coke and madrax are a classic combination. With Tik (meth to the rest of the world, barbs like seconal and nembutal or amytal were the perfect match) but these drugs aren't made much anymore. They just released seconal again in the US recently but it is not in midespread use. Mandrax and maybe a glass of wine or a tinny bit of xanax would probably be great for the comedown because of the similarities in mechanism of action between barbs and mandax, though not perfect. Nothing says you can't take the buttons orally. Moreover, with mandax's prosexual effects, mught be a way to reinvigorate a tik fueled sex session when the jitteryness is creeping in. Who knows, the aphrodisiac effect might be synergistic. =D;)%)

Quiz question stands, were is the only country were you can get methaqualone Rxed legally and what is the formulation's name ( and what is the country the pharmaceutical lab that produces it- I leave this question in because it is Ironic, a country with some of the most druconian drug laws.8o

That country is South Africa!

From Wiki:

Commonly known as Mandrax, M-pills buttons, or smarties, it is not taken orally but is crushed and mixed in a pipe with marijuana. Methaqualone is one of the most commonly used hard drugs in South Africa.[1][7] The low price (South African Rand 30 R average, which is about USD $3.98 (as of May 22, 2010) or EUR 3.24 € (as of June 2010)) of methaqualone together with the ready availability of cheap, low-grade marijuana make it (in addition to methamphetamine and temazepam) the preferred hard drug of the low-income section of South African society.[1]

Commonly known as Mandrax, M-pills buttons, or smarties, it is not taken orally but is crushed and mixed in a pipe with marijuana. Methaqualone is one of the most commonly used hard drugs in South Africa.[1][7] The low price (South African Rand 30 R average, which is about USD $3.98 (as of May 22, 2010) or EUR 3.24 € (as of June 2010)) of methaqualone together with the ready availability of cheap, low-grade marijuana make it (in addition to methamphetamine and temazepam) the preferred hard drug of the low-income section of South African society.[1]
Today 19:54

Thanks for the info! But sorry, thats not the correct answer to the question. I was asking about were methaqualone is still in medical use (legally Rxed). The trade in South Africa, is to my knowledge all illicit. It is focus near Cape Town, in particular the Cape Flats. The drug is popular among certain ethnic groups, I believe the coulered and the blacks. Possibly the Indian community as well. If I'm not mistaken, the Indian mafia controls the mandrax trade but take that with a grain of salt. That would make sense because alot of precursors are produced there by the thriving chem industry. There were a few bust near Mumbai and other parts of the country in recent years.
Since then synthesis has shifted to
Labs producing methaqualone have been found in several African countries, including Kenya, Mozambique, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, and South Africa.

The drug is also big in Nambia apparently by the blacks and whites in roughly equal numbers who are German speaking if I'm not mistaken (along with a multitude of other languages).
http://www.enotes.com/drugs-substances-encyclopedia/methaqualone/overview

It is my understanding that The buttons are smoked not just on dagga (weed) scwag, but there is more to this preparation. It would appear that "majat" as it is called is a combination of shitty weed, tobacco, and some king of resin like pitch or tar or wax, so that it will burn at the right temp. Anybody thats smoked drugs like meth or crack, or heroin knows that there are optimum ways of smoking drugs, this is the most efficient way that has evolved through the years, but the, shit in the smoke is apparently horrible for the lungs causing emphysema, pulmonary disease, pulmonary hypertension thats really serious condition.

At any rate, paranoid android asked a very insightful question

It would appear, analogous to why do people smoke meth when they can get pretty high from just swallowing it or even snorting it, but to quote my previous post

The white pipe experience is an intense one. The initial rush is so powerful that many users 'ert' or 'earth' immediately after use. They lose conciousness of their surroundings and fall to the ground drooling. The total loss of control means that mandrax (Mx) can only be smoked among trusted companions, which reinforces the social nature of the drug." Aparently once this stage is over, users slip into a euphoric peaceful state that that has been likened to heroin intoxication but with more incoordination.

Having said that- the drug itself is apparently so reiforcing, that its weird its hasn't caught on among the more well to do clubbers. In New York, FYI, there was a big drug bust of a lude making ring based in Lond Island or Broklyn, and Los Angeles. Apparently, there was a huge market for it on the upper east side, if posts are to be believed. But lots of pills were confiscated. This was back in april, I think.

So question stands, were in the world can one still get ludes on Rx ( its actually the lude/benadryl formulation) but with a different trade name. What is the trade name. Were is it produced- irony there- because you can go to jail for years over bud possession (hint: this is an EU member). Another hint, this country has some of the most pragmatic harm reduction system.

Another clue, they are one of the few countries were a cocaine prescription scheme has undergone serious consideration and clinical trials are reportedly in progress or close to be.

My friends tell me you can't really swallow mandrax tabs because they are caustic and disgusting so much so, that you won't be able to keep yourself from throwing up if you try. Majat is just really low grade weed with lots of sticks and seeds. It is the main type of weed smoked here because it is so dirt cheap, it doesn't really contain any additives. From what I've been told, all they do is put weed in the neck and put a crushed pill over it and blaze that. Majat is normally very, very dry so that's probably why they use it.

Swallowing Mx here is almost unheard of actually, with the occasional methaqualone containing XTC pill appearing here and there. I'm wondering if maybe the additive to facilitate smoking is maybe not in the button? It would explain why the tabs are so unpalatable.

Forgot to say. The answer to the question, where is the last place that allows legal methaqualone Rx is Switzerland. It is called toquilone I believe. The irony is that I once read that it is produced under liscence for whatever pharm company that makes it in Republic of Cyprus, home to some of the most backwards, draconian drug polices in the world, quite an irony.