• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Methaqualone / Quaalude / Toquilone / Mandrax / Motolon

harryberry

Greenlighter
Hey All,

I'd like to settle this question once and for all. I'd like a dump off all your collective knowledge on the pharmaceutical production and medical distribution of the sedative/hypnotic known as methaqualone.

From deep long searches the internet has failed to provide evidence of exactly what happened to the medical prescription of methaqualone around the world and where it currently stands now.

My current understanding is as follows:

- The FDA aggressively pursued companies the world over to stop production of methaqualone and its precursor ingredients in the 1980's due to the widespread abuse the drug suffered.

-There is a thriving underground market in the drug in South Africa (Not really interested to be honest). You can buy this from several sites. It takes the form of a dirty brown powder or blue pill. Whilst there are many legitimate reviews for the powder indicating it is indeed methaqualone, taking an obviously unclean source of backstreet cooking is not high on my list of priorities. The blue pills are described as highly disappointing by everyone who has tried them, lending credence to the theory that they are infact duds.

-There are historic posts on forums from people as close as 2013 still claiming to have 'sources' of medically prescribed methaqualone. These tend to be central european, with france/germany/switzerland the leading countries and take the form of Toquilone Compositum (methaqualone/diphenhydramine combo) prescribed for insomnia.

-The usual google/wiki results indicate that in some countries (Canada etc.) methaqualone may still be prescribed for insomnia. However these fall distinctly short of saying whether or not it actively is prescribed to anyone in these countries in 2015.

So give me your collective wisdom bluelight. Does ANYONE have a legitimate source for these or has anyone ever been able to get a hold of pharmaceutical grade methaqualone?

Does anyone know if this is even still actively legally prescribed anywhere in the world? Do you have or know someone with a script for this?

It's not prescribed or distributed in North America, but it is in Asia and parts of Europe as you said.

It's called Mandrax in South Africa, and in the UK. Was it ever available under this name in Australia and NZ?

I've never taken it; but friends of mine in the United States who were around in the 70s and early through mid 80s and taking drugs took them. They said that just one pill made them feel as though they'd consumed a lot of alcohol, and everything would slow down.

Last edited:
It was withdrawn in the US in the early 80s and placed in Schedule 1 by 84-85. I've talked to ppl in their 50s+, and they likened it to drinking a 12 pack in a pill form. Given the number of 'better/safer' drugs that have come along since, I'd say the odds here (in the US) of finding 'ludes now is somewhere between slim and none, and slim left the building 30 years ago.

here, the z-drugs are prescribed for sleep disorders, tho Seroquel is being used for that ALL too often. I'd bet that Seroquel gets yanked off the market in the next decade, but thats neither here nor there.

It's not prescribed or distributed in North America, but it is in Asia and parts of Europe as you said.

Heard about Africa, but, first time I've ever heard this, any links or sourcing backing this up? Didn't think it was prescribed in Asia or Europe in this day.

Heard about Africa, but, first time I've ever heard this, any links or sourcing backing this up? Didn't think it was prescribed in Asia or Europe in this day.

Chap in France (2011): http://forum.doctissimo.fr/medicaments/dependance-medicaments/connais-medicaments-sujet_139293_1.htm

Inference is he has had insomnia for 20 years, takes methaqualone and can advise anyone else who either takes methaqualone or suffers from insomnia.

Woman (Unknown Location) (2013): http://ioplist.com/index.php?topic=418.0

Her source for methaqualone (Toquilone Compositum) has just gone bust and she is looking for a new one. She provides details of an address for a chemist (apothecary) in Belgium that she used to buy it from. But they do not ship beyond the Schengen Zone (Mainland Europe) and she cannot get to Belgium. Inference here based on her language and the fact she cannot get it shipped to her is that she is based in the UK.

Another woman (2013): http://adviceforsleepdisorders.com/where-can-i-get-a-6-month-supply-of-toquilone-compositum/

Suffers insmonia and rotates several sleepers to avoid dependence. Claims stock recently run out at her pharmacy in Belgium of Toquilone Compositum and misses the weeks she took them as they provided her the best sleep.

If you search the internet there are quite a few people who relatively recently had supplies of this. Its unfathomable to me that nobody can provide a definitive answer to this question.

Am I literally gonna have to contact the pharma companies and ask whether or not they still produce these things?

Its really strange to me that I could go online now and order (albeit illegally) pretty much any prescription medication I want, yet nobody seems to have this, even though it should still be knocking about . . .

Idk about still being prescribed in other countries but SWIM has a friend who's lab makes methaqualone. Old timers from the 70's have tried them and verified it to be the real thing, so they seem to be legit... clandestine labs are still producing them. i suppose its all in who you know

I can confirm that the 2013 woman who posted on IOPList was my then girlfriend, and that the pharmacy in Harelbeke, Belgium is one at which I am a registered patient.
Toquilone now is still on their listings but "Uit de Handel", which given how poor my Dutch is could be 'out of stock', or, more likely since my only source now is a rather brilliant chemist selling on a DarkNet Marketplace, and the absence of that drug from all current Swiss online pharmacies, couod mean 'Off the Market'
It is true that one can be prescribed both forms, Quaalude for daytime sedation and Mandrax for use as an hypnotic, in Canada as I have a friend who has sent me some in exchange for a UK/S.Africa only analgesic (dipipanone HCl with cyclizine, brands Diconal, Wellconal); they are methaqualone whereas the drug pres ribed in France is ETHAQUALONE.
I use those and meprobamate because of a huge tolerance to benzodiazepines, needing 6mg clonazepam daily plus either 6mg alprazolam or 10mg lorazepam: clonazepam (Rivotril by Roche, also licenced to Galenika and Abbott Healthcare Pvt Ltd India; the UK generic by Auden is awful and there are serious bioavailability issues meaning they do not work properly with me, forced therefore to obtain the real original brand or the licenced ones, Galenika being BETTER than Roche's own) for epilepsy and panic prophylaxis and the last two for acute anxiety; I am forced to go abroad or to some hard to find sources for the methaqualone and meprobamate (though it is still prescribed in Belgium & Romania) as both are pretty much banned now throughout Europe. Bulgaria is one of the few countries which still prescribe many meds previously withdrawn in the whole EU, which includes another that I need badly clinically, being unable to take an alternative, carisoprodol - still available in around half a dozen countries, but mainly India and Argentina (the bestbrand made, Finadiet LISTAFLEX 350mg). You may still get secobarbital and pentobarbital sodium in Bulgaria. Very useful to me.

I'm curious if xanax bars, given their current overrated status, will be talked about if banned the way ludes are now.

This https://psychonautwiki.org/wiki/Methaqualone
says it hits the gaba A receptors differently than benzos or barbiturates which I suppose could lead to a euphoric effect. I've always found the GABA B receptor to be the choice one to hit though.

As of today there is nothing posted on this thread indicating that methaqualone is sold in any specific Asian country, or by what tradenames.

It's called Mandrax in South Africa, and in the UK. Was it ever available under this name in Australia and NZ?

I've never taken it; but friends of mine in the United States who were around in the 70s and early through mid 80s and taking drugs took them. They said that just one pill made them feel as though they'd consumed a lot of alcohol, and everything would slow down.

You actually can't get it by prescription in south africa anymore but they have a thriving black market for it as OP stated. I've used some of this clandestine substance. It looked like dryer lint to me.... and yeah, it worked. I don't really have anything to compare it to. Felt like somewhere inbetween xanax and ghb to me. There are also some analogues like nitromethaqualone that I have seen for sale on the dark net.