• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

methamphetamine and monoaminergic activity

DJHENRU

Bluelighter
What does methamphetamine vmat activity have to do with maoi. I know that it releases, but can alter monoamines building up them in the synapse, but does chronic exposure mean that it acts an an inhibitor? Does then chronic exposure mean that tyramine in the diet is a contradiction, or does the taking RIMAs become a contraindication(resveratrol, piperine, epicatechin)

I thought I had read something as well about biphasic DA effects as well, but I can't find anything with a search engine. :\

The METH DIET is humorously referenced in the burningman publication pissclear, but nothing is furthered upon, so maybe this thread can help, or move / become deleted..

but does chronic exposure mean that it acts an an [MAO] inhibitor? Does then chronic exposure mean that tyramine in the diet is a contradiction? does the taking RIMAs become a contraindication(resveratrol, piperine, epicatechin)

no, no, unlikely (dose dependent)

for all practical intents and purposes, amphetamine is not a MAOI.

maoi is a kind of drug. mao is monoamine oxidase, and it comes in two varieties (mao-a and mao-b).

In high doses, both amphetamine and methamphetamine can (reversibly) inhibit MAO, though to what extent is unclear as the studies are contradictory. Some indicate that even at large enough doses to kill you, you'll only have 30-40% inhibition. Another study found total inhibition of mao in mice with 15mg/kg (still an incredibly massive dose in human terms that would probably kill most people I'm guessing). Lots of substances are rather minor mao inhibitors. Combining methamphetamine with a substance that is known to inhibit mao significantly is ill advised except for under the care of a physician who has experience with this combination as it can kill you. On its own, I've never heard of an interaction between methamphetamine and tyramine containing foods, and I highly doubt at typical levels of even daily use there would be a serious interaction, but HR dictates you may as well try avoid fava beans and the like if you are on a meth binge. Shouldn't be too hard since meth binges tend to make people not very hungry anyway. Since any MAO inhibition is reversible, there should be no lingering effects after the ma is out of your system.

Also, if you aren't taking the MA orally, there wouldn't be a dietary issue even if it was as potent as a real MAO-I like parnate. There would be an issue with combining it with SSRIs or MDMA, but if that was a serious concern it would be rather well known I think given how common SSRIs are. Still, these kinds of combinations can be dangerous for other reasons.

Was thinking of inhibition with resveratrol piperine(I think potentiates resveratrol) and catechin/epicatechin, ma orally. Just kind of was asking too because of the contraindication of L-tyrosine with maois. THANKS

VMAT2 and MAO activity are mostly mutually exclusive. VMAT2 recycles nt's once back in the presynpatic neuron into vesicles. MAO activity occurs when nt's get taken back up and are sent further down the presynaptic neuron to be broken down. Except COMT(?)

I wouldn't be surprised if high meth doses act as an MAOI, but then again dopaminer neurons get killed off quickly at this sort of dose.

I recall reading that Tranylcypromine releases dopamine/monoamines at something like ~10% amphetamines potency. As Sekio said, for all intents and purposes meth/amph is not an MAOI.