• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone ???????????????????????

MorphMu1

Greenlighter
Hi i was just prescribed methdadone 5mg every 8 hours. I was prescribed morphine 30mg twice a day for last 5 years plus vicodin 5mg every 4hours. New doc says this is equal and it will build up and i wont need bt meds after a week. Its been a week and im not good.

Am i better off taking the 15mg once per day like the methadone programs?? I need some advice here thank u

You need to post more information:

For what condition did you get the morphine? And why also a low dose of Hydrocodone every 4 hours? That should theoretically be blocked by the morphine due to its higher affinity and potency.
This seems just unnecessary. Why did your new doc switch you to Methadone?

5mg Methadone equals about 12,5mg Morphine.

Hi thanks for responding. I have severe spinal stenosis with degenerative disc disease L2-3, L3-4 is the worst, and L4-5 . These discs ruptured and have zero fluid left. I also have had bad knee surgery and another cartikage tear in my left knee- buckethandle.

The addition of the vicodin did help some but not much. The new doc does not want to prescribe me that- period. He thinks the long term this will be better but this dose feels like HALF at best of what i took before.

You need to post more information:

For what condition did you get the morphine? And why also a low dose of Hydrocodone every 4 hours? That should theoretically be blocked by the morphine due to its higher affinity and potency.
This seems just unnecessary. Why did your new doc switch you to Methadone?

5mg Methadone equals about 12,5mg Morphine.

We'd need more information regarding your situation to give you a truly helpful answer.

One thing of note that I would like to chime in with is that receiving methadone as a once daily maintenance drug is not the same as taking it multiple times per day as an analgesic. Methadone can keep an opioid-dependent individual free of withdrawal for 24 hours, but the analgesic effects are actually more short lived.

This is why I do not understand how people are sent to a methadone clinic to deal with their chronic pain. Considering what I've read, heard and experienced a maintenance regime doesn't really kill pain at all once habituated.

Also, my knowledge is limited when it comes to chronic pain, as I'm a recreational user, but I don't see the reasoning behind all of those different opioids, especially the hydrocodone. I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, it just seems odd that you would be prescribed the strong opioids and then have hydrocodone thrown into the mix. Could you explain the reasoning behind it?

methadone's half-life is long, as well as cumulative with re-dosing, so your doc probably started you low for safety's sake. let your doctor know that your new treatment schedule isn't helping. definitely don't tell your doctor if you're using your prescription in any way s/he didn't specify.

Well the morphine/ms contin was my baseline med and the vicodin was for breakthrough as i became more active. My old doc left the state and the new one does not want to prescribe those meds long term- MASSACHUSETTS is becoming a police state for pain patients. Its out of control. But anyway im seeing him Monday. What dose should i be on that would actually be equal pain wise???

I will bring up to him the pharmacist said that an equal dose should be in xyz range.

as a chronic pain patient, i say get off the fucking methadone immediately. Don't try to fix the situation by increasing the methadone dose. Makes everything worse.

$0.02

Why do u suggest that? He basically said ita this which i know is a good pain killer at the right amount i guess.. Or subutex which i have no interest at all in . let me knoww , did u hace bad experience with it?

as a chronic pain patient, i say get off the fucking methadone immediately. Don't try to fix the situation by increasing the methadone dose. Makes everything worse.

$0.02

Takes 3 days for Methadone to reach optimum levels in your blood.
I dont find it a good pain killer.