• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids methadone vs subutex

axe battler

Moderator: SLR, EADD
Staff member
Hi all.

Which would you go on? All experiences are very welcome, including which is easier to get on weekly pickups, less hassle from doctors, side efftects etc. etc.

I'm curently on 10mg subutex and it's been a lifesaver. For the first 2 hour or so after getting my daily dose I even get a small but nice buzz . I do still crave gear like fucker though, but obviously there's no chance of using on such a high dose.

I was thinking of switching to meth, def. NOT to use on top, but because it feels more like a real opiate and may kill my cravings better. Does the niceness of methadone disappear quite quickly? Ive been on subs for 6 months now on the same dose and it feels just about the same as when i first started on it; is this different with the jollop?

Will methadone help better with back pain and anxiety?

Also, I LOVE the taste of methdaone, subutex tastes pretty rank IMO.

Thanks!

Methadone with with split dosing could be useful, but don't get sucked into high dosing.

Personally I had heart pain and extreme mood swings.

I had more success on mmt. It depends on what you are looking for. I needed the structure and control of the clinic. A monthly script gave me way to much room and control to basically hang myself with! M completely controls cravings for me. It's also like taking a vitamin. I don't get high from it at all. I can tell when it's time to dose the next day but I am not at all sick. I'm working on my medical detox now. I was stabilized at 110mgs (heavy IV habit) and decrease 3mgs a week (currently at 74.) So I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what you need. If it's getting and staying high off methadone though, that's not how it is. If you are looking for the buzz and you get it from subs then stick with them.

I have been on maintenance for a long time now and definitely find methadone far better for cravings, I just am not interested in using gear when I am on methadone while I was constantly thinking about using while on sub.
I also do not like the tast of sub and feell much more satiated on methadone compared to sub, I assume this is due to methadone being a full agonist while bup is only a partial agonist.
I have also read that methadone being an nmda antagonist has something to do with why the desire to use is often severely reduced while on methadone.

I am in Australia so can't really comment on the difference on the programs other than to say you can get many more take aways on sub compared to methadone

The honey moon period only lasts a couple of months at the most on methadone in my experience after that it is just you feel normal after having your dose.

All things considered I would rather be on methadone than sub.

The search engine is your friend OP! We have a plethora of resources and discourse here on the forums regarding this exact topic.

I have never gotten on 'dones before, or MMT.. I have just taken them 2x before.. the 10mg tablets.. I was on oxy at the time, and everyone was out, I was dopesick and took roughly ~40-50mg or so each time, it helped a lot after being dopesick, or "oxy sick". And I didn't really get super fucked up from them, even in conjunction with klonopin, just got well and my cravings went away for the day.. each time.

Now, I have been on Subutex maintenance for years.. close to 6 years, off and on, relapsing in opioids in those "off" times.. But after sticking with it, and not relapsing.. I LOVE my subs.. Seriously.. I like them a bit too much, and I also got into the bad, very bad habit of banging them, in small increments throughout the day.. NOT RECOMMENDED! I have totally stopped wanting opiates/opioids, like I used to when I first got on them, and just took them sublingually as they were designed to be taken.. Sublingual only has a ~34% BA though!!! Which isn't very high, considering that is how they are meant to be taken! Plugging is the best ROA to use bupe of any form, whether it be suboxone, subutex, or etc... It is much more efficient, hits you way harder a lot like IV feels, and you can get by doing less of your normal sublingual dose throughout the day when plugging.. it has around double the BA as sublingual has.. Sniffing works too, but isn't good for your nose obviously.. But, I don't know.. I love subs.. love the actual feeling I get from them tbh.. its a nice, mood uplifting, subtle yet opiate-esque feeling.. I do 2mg at a time usually.. a lot of my friends prefer done maintanence or just methadone in general to subs, for getting off opioids though.. MMT takes a lot more visits and hassles to get in my area, than sub does.. As in you get a script of sub for 30 days like nothing where I go.. as opposed to having to go to the clinic every day, to get your dose.. then eventually building up enough trust with the clinic to get take home doses.. I much prefer monthly doc visits to waking up early as fuck every morning to get my dose of 'done. That's just my thoughts..

^precisely my point. You have to truely want to stop and change your ways in mmt for it to really work. I got my subs and started banging them and selling some and next thing I knew I was back to dope. Mmt broke me free from needles and junkie behavior. The Sub program was way to easy for me to take advantage. I needed someone on my ass daily and random urines to get back in line. Now I get 4 take homes a week and random UAs. But I can actually be trusted! No slips in 13 1/2 months.