• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

methadone question...please help

truth hurts

Greenlighter
I had a massive heart attack at 26, nothing at all to do with drugs just luck I guess.I have been on methadone for about 7 yrs now for pain only, first by my regular doctor ,methadose tablets 60 mgs/ daily, I needed more for pain so I was told I would need to go to a methadone clinic. I did. I have been on 115mg liquid methadone for over a year now and over 100 for at least 3. My pain is under control at this dose, I am comfortable. Problem is my clinic keeps raising their price. There are higher as well as cheaper but my family needs this 470$ a month for bills and other necessities. My question is what to do? I have 25% of my heart function, the same as when I started methadone. I need to find AN alternative that's cheaper and not kill me in the process, as I want to live for my wife and son. I'm afraid I've painted my family and myself into a no win corner. Any answers are appreciated about any options I have ,other than just dying. Thank you

Methadone is really heavy on the heart. You should have considered switching to a different narcotic, due to you cardiac issues, quite a while ago. I don't know why they would have you on it in the first place. I would recommend oxymorphone as an alternative.

Methadone is a very dangerous medication.

I admit something should have been changed a while ago as far as the methadone is concerned. but it wasn't .everyone's life would be different if we could all change all the buts and ifs. But we can't. Therefore it is what it is. The past is past the future is what we make of it. I'm trying to see as much of mine as I can. Play the cards you're dealt. Thanks for the post, oxymorphone...if a doctor will write it ,as I live in southwest Virginia. Hillbilly heroin capitol of the US if you believe the papers. But believe it or not there are still some people that don't see a Dr fora payday just chronic pain. Thanks again

If you're already on methadone I don't see a reason why your doctor wouldn't be amenable to switching you to a different pain medicine... Just bring up the cardiac issues: methadone comes with a lot of them - read all the warnings online and in the prescribing information. I think the FDA has even announced warnings post-marketing.

Methadone is really heavy on the heart. You should have considered switching to a different narcotic, due to you cardiac issues, quite a while ago. I don't know why they would have you on it in the first place. I would recommend oxymorphone as an alternative.

Methadone is a very dangerous medication.

This.
Methadone is known for QT prolongation, so try and switch to another opioid.

jeez louise. what's already been said x10. I'm just shocked at the incompetence of doctors. the fact you're on methadone when you have documented heart issues that at one point resulted in a heart attack. fuck. time to INSIST on something else.

Thanks to all who replied. I have a cardiologist and the methadone clinic both of which I see a Dr once a year I'm afraid if I go to a pain center they will want me to drop waaayy down before they even start seeing me, which arises the problem of if my heart will take it as we've all heard horror stories but I will do what I must as I said before I'm afraid I've painted my family and myself into a corner .Would a pain clinic be my best bet or are there any other options. Thanks again for everyone's help

Wow. I'm not saying Methadone is a death writ for someone with heart problems, but out of all Opioids it's especially well known for its potentially dangerous cardiac effects. I know this will make me sound pompous, but you have to approach all Doctors as if they don't know shit about what they're talking about. This is not super-advanced, high-level shit either. A doctor could maybe pull up Wikipedia 5 minutes before an appointment or maybe use Google and then take another 5 minutes to cross-reference and confirm... It's mind-blowing. Practically a decade of education and a bunch of Junkies are somehow better informed.

Tirade over

Now, I guess I'm surprised that Methadone taken on a maintenance schedule (once daily) is enough to control your pain. For most people, I believe, MMT does practically ZERO for their pain, myself included. Why were you put on Methadone in the first place OP? Do you have addiction in your medical history? I'm not saying you would have to, but it just seems odd that you would be directed to a Methadone clinic as opposed to a pain management provider.

I'd bring up to your prescriber the fact that you are worried about the interactions between Methadone and your heart and for this reason you would like to switch to a different medication.

I have taken everything for pain legally from doctors and by far methadone after getting on the right dose is better and longer lasting than anything I ever tried. I was on morphine when it made my feet start swelling bad my Dr then asked if I'd be willing to try methadone for pain, he said it was an effective pain medicine. I was skeptical and hesitant because of the bad rep that methadone carries. All this happened after my heart attack. That was when I was 26, fast forward 10 years most of which taking methadone for pain after getting on the right dose has relieved most of my pain but its just gotten too high here for me.