• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone oxycodone dose equivalent?

JackiesBabyy

Bluelighter
How many mgs of methadone(oral) would feel equivalent to 30mg of oxycodone(also oral)?

About 10mgs of methadone will equal 30mgs of oxycodone if both taken orally.

Keep in mind the methadone may not feel as euphoric as the oxycodone because it doesn't affect you in the same way. But its still having all the other effects on your body eg. pain relief, respiratory depression and constipation. Methadone just doesn't feel as euphoric as oxycodone but don't keep upping your dose to get higher because methadone is very potent and is very easy to OD on.

Also methadone can take about 3 hours to reach peak effects so don't take more a half hour after your first dose thinking its not working cause when it kicks in it could be too powerful for you to take.

About 10mgs of methadone will equal 30mgs of oxycodone if both taken orally.

Keep in mind the methadone may not feel as euphoric as the oxycodone because it doesn't affect you in the same way. But its still having all the other effects on your body eg. pain relief, respiratory depression and constipation. Methadone just doesn't feel as euphoric as oxycodone but don't keep upping your dose to get higher because methadone is very potent and is very easy to OD on.

Also methadone can take about 3 hours to reach peak effects so don't take more a half hour after your first dose thinking its not working cause when it kicks in it could be too powerful for you to take.

5-12mg of methadone would be equal to 30mg of oxycodone depending on varying factors. On me methadone for some reason now takes at least 24 hours to start working at all. Ive been prescribed and used methadone on and off scince about 1996 Its a very long acting man made opiate and is far superior strength wise than oxycodone. When i had no tolerance i tried both 60ml of methadone and 60ml of oxycodone. The methadone would get me wasted for 24-36 hours but the 60ml of oxynorm the oxycodone instant release liquid did absolutely fuck all for me in comparison. Methadone's real strength is vastly under estimated by the medical proffession. But also i think its effects are hugely dose dependant and its oral bio vary's a lot depending on your overall tollerance, body weight and previous opiate useage. The oral equilivent coversion charts from meths to most oral painkiller drugs like oxycontin and ms contin/mst continus are hugely incorrect. I myself think that 10mg of oral methadone would need around 40-60mg of oral morphine to equal that dose and maybe a fraction more. Most uk dr's think there dose equal :/

Peace

Last edited:
I tried 10mg of methadone last night and its not as euphoric as any dose of oxycodone unfortunately, I only had a few short waves of pleasure, and the rest was just drowsiness and fatigue, though sleeping felt really good... I did rail 10mg of oxy during the experience and it was very nice while it lasted.

I tried 10mg of methadone last night and its not as euphoric as any dose of oxycodone unfortunately, I only had a few short waves of pleasure, and the rest was just drowsiness and fatigue, though sleeping felt really good... I did rail 10mg of oxy during the experience and it was very nice while it lasted.

Yeh your correct on that one as a one off dose of 10mg methadone isnt that potent due too its lower oral bio asscociated with low dose and one off dose's add both those factors together a 10mg dose will be as you described pritty weak unless youve never touched any opiates before that are any stronger than codeine or dihydrocodeine .

Mixing oxycodone 10mg with methadone 10mg however should be quite a strong effect due to both drugs being very effective orally (even on single dosing both drugs should be at least 50% effective orally probably more) unlike morphine or hydromorphone.

Also methadones main strength is as a pain killer it does not really get you high at all unless you have no tollerance or take around 2-4 days worth in one dose (please dont do this as it accumulates in your system and can easily cause an overdose). Around 8 years back when i was on 120mg daily I used to collect 7 days worth and drink about 6 days worth in one go between 500-800mg. This used to hold me for around 5-6 days without using any other opiate and then id drink the remainding 40-240ml just to hold me for 24 hours till i collected my next weeks supply. This goes to show that methadone has a VERY LONG half life and on some people like myself who must have a slow metabolism if the dose was measured correctly it could be dosed every 2 or 3 days instead of daily.

Mad yes i know i am suprised i never killed myself to be honest but i built up over time (a good few months) to doses like that not just doing it straight off.

DO NOT TAKE DOSES OF METHADONE LIKE THAT IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING AS IT CAN EASILY KILL YOU !!! 200mg COULD KILL YOU NET ALONE 700 - 800mg !!!

Last edited:
5-12mg of methadone would be equal to 30mg of oxycodone depending on varying factors. On me methadone for some reason now takes at least 24 hours to start working at all. Ive been prescribed and used methadone on and off scince about 1996 Its a very long acting man made opiate and is far superior strength wise than oxycodone. When i had no tolerance i tried both 60ml of methadone and 60ml of oxycodone. The methadone would get me wasted for 24-36 hours but the 60ml of oxynorm the oxycodone instant release liquid did absolutely fuck all for me in comparison. Methadone's real strength is vastly under estimated by the medical proffession. But also i think its effects are hugely dose dependant and its oral bio vary's a lot depending on your overall tollerance, body weight and previous opiate useage. The oral equilivent coversion charts from meths to most oral painkiller drugs like oxycontin and ms contin/mst continus are hugely incorrect. I myself think that 10mg of oral methadone would need around 40-60mg of oral morphine to equal that dose and maybe a fraction more. Most uk dr's think there dose equal :/

Peace

Yea I know between 6 and 12mg is what most conversion charts tell you but I said 10 mgs because it's in between. The thing with methadone is most of the conversions done are for chronic methadone serum levels not single doses and with the variability in the bioavailability of oral methadone it makes getting an exact figure quite difficult.

Heed this warning to those thinking about "getting high" on Methadone. This drug is unlike all other semi/synthetic opiods. Methadone is 100% synthetic. Its not from the poppy plant. Methadone is said to block euphoria high associated with oxy, morph, heroin, etc. It will give u an initial loopy feeling once. This drug has the longest half life as high as 59hrs as compared to about 8hrs of all others. So in layman language. This is the drug that will kill you when you least expect it. Leave it alone.

You will struggle to get an accurate conversion from methadone to other opiods to be honest...many conversion tables don't even attempt it.

The variations in individual metabolism of methadone are huge...more so than any other opioid/opiate I've ever taken the time to study.

Generally speaking (very generally) the most accurate (for me) conversion I've read is:

10mg methadone = 20mg morphine = 13mg oxycodone

All numbers states are for PO (oral consumption)

Also on half-life ..from wiki

"Methadone has a typical elimination half-life of 15 to 60 hours with a mean of around 22. However, metabolism rates vary greatly between individuals, up to a factor of 100, ranging from as few as 4 hours to as many as 130 hours, or even 190 hours.This variability is apparently due to genetic variability in the production of the associated cytochrome enzymes CYP3A4, CYP2B6 and CYP2D6."

Last edited:
I'm really not sure on the conversion of a single methadone vs oxycodone, but when taking it regularly i'd amount 1mg methadone = 2-3mg oxycodone. After being on 2mg methadone not long ago, i'd say it was similar to taking 5mg oxy. A long time ago I equated 15mg methadone to about 40mg oxy, personally.

It varies with acute vs chronic dosing; however a single dose it is basically 1.5-2x the potency, with a longer duration

With chronic administration, it would be more like ~triple the potency, probably varying from 2.5-4x potency.

Conversions are hard in general, and with methadone more complex.

However 10mg Methadone acute =15-20mg oxycodone,(longer duration-t1/2) chronic 10mg = ~30, range 25-40 (some calculators state 25mg= ~80mg oxycodone)

First time poster here and I have a question regarding methadone and oxy or hydro. Let?s say if someone took 30mg of methadone at 6am. Could that same person take 20 or 30mg of hydros later that night let?s say 9 pm. And still get a high? Or is the methadones long half life gonna block out that effect. And no said person doesn?t get withdraws they take it recreational. Just to get high. If someone could answer this please and thank you.

Methadone is potent in small doses like 10-15mg or 20-30mg but this is true only as long as you aren't taking opioids daily. Once you do that, it starts becoming necessary to take over 40, then 50, then 60 and so on. While you're still opioid naive up to 15mg of methadone should be basically equivalent to 30mg of oxycodone. They will definitely feel different, methadone with less immediate euphoria, more of light waves. These doses of both drugs are not quite enough to cause any dramatic side effects though.

First time poster here and I have a question regarding methadone and oxy or hydro. Let?s say if someone took 30mg of methadone at 6am. Could that same person take 20 or 30mg of hydros later that night let?s say 9 pm. And still get a high? Or is the methadones long half life gonna block out that effect. And no said person doesn?t get withdraws they take it recreational. Just to get high. If someone could answer this please and thank you.

Methadone only really has a blocking effect with doses of 80-100mg and above. So hypothetically you should be fine and you should feel them, but I don't think you'll feel them quite as strong as you would having not taken any methadone.

Methadone is potent in small doses like 10-15mg or 20-30mg but this is true only as long as you aren't taking opioids daily. Once you do that, it starts becoming necessary to take over 40, then 50, then 60 and so on. While you're still opioid naive up to 15mg of methadone should be basically equivalent to 30mg of oxycodone. They will definitely feel different, methadone with less immediate euphoria, more of light waves. These doses of both drugs are not quite enough to cause any dramatic side effects though.

I disagree.

I take 30 mgs of Methadone a day, with 45 mgs of oxyIR and 30 to 40 mgs of Norco a day. The Methadone has been for 8 years.
2 years later I was given 5 mgs of oxyIR 3x a day. Over time, as my body has broken down my doctor increased my breakthrough medicine and literally added a bottle of Norco to go with my oxys out of the blue.

I've never increased my methadone and there are members here on Methadone maintenance that never go higher than 60 mgs and do perfectly well. It's a stretch to say that once you get to ~30mgs of Methadone and add in another opiate that you must constantly increase dosages for it to work.

Or perhaps I have missed something? It darn sure wouldn't be the first time! Just ask my 4 grown children and they'll tell you I was wrong at least 4 times a day.

I disagree.

I take 30 mgs of Methadone a day, with 45 mgs of oxyIR and 30 to 40 mgs of Norco a day. The Methadone has been for 8 years.
2 years later I was given 5 mgs of oxyIR 3x a day. Over time, as my body has broken down my doctor increased my breakthrough medicine and literally added a bottle of Norco to go with my oxys out of the blue.

I've never increased my methadone and there are members here on Methadone maintenance that never go higher than 60 mgs and do perfectly well. It's a stretch to say that once you get to ~30mgs of Methadone and add in another opiate that you must constantly increase dosages for it to work.

Or perhaps I have missed something? It darn sure wouldn't be the first time! Just ask my 4 grown children and they'll tell you I was wrong at least 4 times a day.
I think you missed the point of what I said. I was really only talking about how tolerance builds quickly to the euphoria from taking opioids daily, not that there isn't any at all at a place down the road. It's not the same as it was when you start and people surely can do well on that much methadone and be maintained on it while taking it daily.

Also I never said anything about it being difficult to take another opioid while already on methadone. Perhaps you're confused because of something else I said about the blocking effect of higher dose methadone.

I probably shouldn't post during a migraine. I really did have a point yesterday but I couldn't tell you exactly what it was now.

I believe I was disagreeing with the comment that after adding an opiate while taking 30 mgs of Methadone that you have to increase dosages to 40 mgs then 50 mgs etc. But I can't read your mind so you may have been saying something else and I read it wrong.

I apologize if I read it completely wrong.

Carry on. I'm going back to the couch to nurse this migraine.

One last thought...

The newest conversion charts that started this downward slide in patients dosages say that Methadone is 8 times stronger than morphine (everything is compared to morphine). Hydrocodone is equivalent to morphine so they are 1 to 1.

Oxycodone is 1.5 to 1, so stronger than morphine. Therefore 1 mg of Methadone would be equivalent to slightly more than 5 mgs of oxycodone, or 8 mgs of either morphine or hydrocodone.

I'm fine with my medicine but should I have to get exactly 200 mgs of morphine a day I'll ask him to give me all 200 mgs in an IR form! Lol

My doctor showed me the chart at the end of 2016.

PS. The 200 mgs of morphine I was talking about is supposed to be the highest amount that doctors can prescribe in a day according to the new guidelines. Didn't mean to confuse anyone by throwing out that 200 mg comment.

Last edited: