• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids methadone IV

@mrflowers... so your saying methadone was intentionally engineered to be dangerous to inject... to deter ppl from injecting it?

And iif this were true then why do all the conversion charts include methadone injections as well as oral...

There's an oral syrup solution that's probably diluted to 1mg/mL or so; this is not fit for injection.

There are also ampules of methadone, that are designed for injection.

That's why it's listed in conversion charts.

You could equate Suboxone and buprenex the same way, as buprenex is an ampule of buprenorphine intended for IV usage, and Suboxone is not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not just methadone, that's the case with most pills. They aren't meant to be injected so there are other ingredients in the pills besides just the active drug. and it's those additives that can cause problems if injected.

It is true most tablets are not desirable for IV usage, which is why micron filtration is often necessary to safely inject drugs that originate from tablets.

Last edited:
Ketaman, I wasn't saying you weren't trying to get clean.. I do not know you or your life exactly. I was not saying that injecting methadone = not wanting to get clean.

I have been addicted to opiates for years as well.. rehabs.. mmt.. suboxone.. tapering..withdrawal.. everything, I am in the same boat as you. I am not saying I am better than anyone, or you specifically.

In my previous post my point purely was that, wether it be MMT, or suboxone, or whatever, there ARE people who are just on it so they can cheat the system. So they can get high on the weekends, and not have to withdrawal when they can't afford dope. Or people who sell their take homes.. etc.

My point was this: If someone is on mmt or suboxone therapy purely to cheat the system, then they don't want to get clean, and since most (if not all) clinics/doctors (in the US at least) have a patient limit, don't keep someone else who wants to really get clean from getting a spot. It isn't fair.

I have read many of your posts and by no means was I referring to YOU. Sure, even I have abused my takehomes when I was on MMT. I am no longer on MMT. Please dont' take it personally and I am sorry if you mis-interpretted what I meant.

If you'd like to chat further don't hesitate to PM me.

Methadone is great injected, not many people realise how enjoyable it actually is. Best kept secret.

Methadone is great injected, not many people realise how enjoyable it actually is. Best kept secret.

I agree... spent 2.5 weeks IV'ing methadone at 40 mg / daily dose as a deviation from my buprenorphine ORT, and it has a wonderful rush, and the rest of the effects last sooooo long... That's what caught me in the loop. Was only supposed to be a three day thing, as I had run out of bupe.

And yeah, I also agree with what was said in the first post - it's a brilliant way to lower doses easier, if one is an IV user anyways. But yeah, the wonders of IV methadone, best kept secret... so better stop posting to this thread ;)

The problem is that people try to inject the oral syrups, which is a NO-GO, DO NOT DO! There is sucrose and other stuff in there which is never ever supposed to go directly in the blood.

But if one has tablets that contain binders, etc. which can be removed by micron filtering, it is very possible to IV methadone, and very, very enjoyable at the least. One could also IV if one has the actual IV solution preparation which can be prescribed or administered at some clinics.

Methadone HCl in itself is not very good on the veins, AFAIK, so solutions should probably be at around 20 mg / 1 ml (or more dilute), for safer injection and less vein damage - can't remember the source that these guidelines came from, sorry. But a quick search on the net about 'IV methadone', and you may find it yourself. People interested need to do a little researching, to find viable information, better suited than the information in this post.

The above notion leaves those that need a whopping load of methadone, like 200 mg and so on, with a hell of a lot of liquid to inject, or a very concentrated solution, which are both undesirable. So as many have said, stear clear of methadone IV for HR reasons, but if you must, take a look around for ways to minimize the damage you are doing to yourself.

To round off, clean solutions of methadone at low doses and at low concentrations, are possible to administer IV with 'little harm', and there IS a rush, and the rush is GOOD.

Last edited:
@bwanajzj- Good info, thank you, that was exactly what I wanted to know =D

I also appreciate other peoples responses but I think a lot of you took what I was saying as me trying to get someone to bang their done... this isn't the case... I'm trying to help out my buddy who bangs everything he can find stop doing that... ;)

^Glad to be of assistance.

Bear in mind, I want to emphasize the harm reduction aspect, and not advocate IV'ing Methadone HCl solutions.

But if one must, then at least do so with proper equipment and knowledge of relevant harm reduction techniques.

Right.. my goal is to give my buddy good advice that will help him clean up.. not try to get him to abuse meds... =D

One good reason it's not a good idea to IV methadone: pissing becomes nearly impossible when one needs to and wants to (more so than all other many opiates I have tried). Sometimes it flows sporadically (but not like you'll wet you're pants, it'll just be a breeze when it comes down to it), but most of all it requires patience and a hell of a lot of pressure effort.

My point was this: If someone is on mmt or suboxone therapy purely to cheat the system, then they don't want to get clean, and since most (if not all) clinics/doctors (in the US at least) have a patient limit, don't keep someone else who wants to really get clean from getting a spot. It isn't fair.

I have read many of your posts and by no means was I referring to YOU. Sure, even I have abused my takehomes when I was on MMT. I am no longer on MMT. Please dont' take it personally and I am sorry if you mis-interpretted what I meant.

If you'd like to chat further don't hesitate to PM me.

I think it would be a problem if someone were to take up one of the "Free Suboxone Program" spots, as a doctor can only have 2 patients on the program.

However, in some areas, there's a very large proportion of Suboxone doctors to people who need one, so that if you were to use your insurance, or to pay the costs out of pocket, I don't think it would be hurting anyone to get on it.

I didn't have a hard time finding a doctor with open availability the day I needed treatment, and I don't have a surplus of Suboxone doctors, compared to other parts of the country.

^Yeah I don't disagree with you, you have a good point. Though I am sure it can vary based on the area you are in.

where I live, there are not many suboxone doctors, and even fewer methadone clinics. The clinics are private and have a strict patient limit. I have never been on suboxone maintenence but I am sure it isn't that hard to get it prescribed.

But when I was going to the methadone clinic, they had a looong waiting list to get in there, and all I was saying is that fundamentally it isn't all that fair to the people waiting, if some spots are being taken up by people who are just abusing the system.

I'm not accusing anyone on here of that, I was just speaking out loud.

It is very difficult to properly extract a solution from the tablets, and oral solution is asking for problems. I have been guilty of both, and eventually gave up. The methadone that is formulated for injection (these amps are difficult to obtain, and is only available in a hospital setting). This injectable is amazingly different from the extractions I had tried; the difference is enormous.

The time period (subjectively) to hit peak plasma felt extremely short in comparison to my extracts/syrup, and the power was overwhelming. It was admin to me after a long surgery, as my methadone clinic informed them that I was on 380mg of methadone, orally. The physician did not make any dose adjustment, and administered
the entire 380mg intravenously, in one dose (orally I was used to splitting the 380mg/day). The high was profound; I peaked in what felt like 20 minutes, and began to nod so profoundly that I actually a little concerned of overdose (I kept this to myself). Point is, the injectable is great, but injecting the syrup or some extract does not produce the same effect. In this sense, home extracted solutions hold no advantage to oral admin, and is harmful and yes, harsh on the injecting site. Its just not worth it. If your dose isn't holding you orally, demand more. There is no "legal limit", it is simply a matter of liability-money. If you keep a MMT patient constantly fiending, you have they by the balls, which is tragic and immoral. I got the dose I wanted because I was paying up to $2,000/month for their services.

^What was the concentration of that injection of 380mg? How much liquid had to be used?

I think it is important to note that people who IV methadone should not do so for higher bioavailability, as oral rates are close to optimal (up to 100%, but check the bio-availability info available elsewhere on the board). It is abusing prescribed methadone tablets, if one makes solutions from the tablets for injection, optimally by dissolving in bacteriostatic H2O meant for injection preperations, and subsequently micron filtering. And most methadone tablets I know of have so much chalk and talc in them, that it is a bitch to filter - speaking from personal experience here... I had marks from the plungers flat end for about an hour after micron filter some methadone tablets (had to use 3x 0.20 micron filters Ø=25mm for three 20 mg tablets, and it was still a bitch, the fillers clog the filters in no time).

However, I came across some 'Alternova Methadone HCl 20 mg' tablets marked 'M20' which contained very little binders, and the pills were about 1/10 the size of the usual 20 mg tablets available where I am. These 'M20's' produced the same rush and effects as the other tablets when I filtered and IV'ed them, but had the advantage that they were MUCH easier to micron filter. So I stocked a little up on those and had my fair share of fun filtering and IV administering methadone :D

With that said, I was abusing the methadone that I administered IV, although it was not prescribed (I obtained the various tablets elsewhere). I just deviated from my treatment with buprenorphine, and had a good a- musing/busing time for a couple of weeks.

And I agree with what was previously mentioned, that the IV ampules are near impossible to get. Nonetheless, there are solutions floating around here and there that are not sweetened or anything, which are basically a low-concentration oral solution of Methadone HCl in bacteriostatic H2O, meant for ingesting mixed with juice or something. But the concentrations in these solutions is very low (~1mg/ml), and would require evaporating the majority of the water, and essentially micron filtering to be extra safe, ridding the final solution of bacteria, for example. IV'ing a solution of the likes mentioned as is would require a A) very low to no tolerance, or B) injecting a whooping shitload of liquid if one has tolerance. Since Methadone HCl is caustic to the veins (citation needed - help anyone?), injecting concentrated solutions is also not too good a thing to do.

I have not had experience doing any of the above, only micron filtering semi-concentrated solutions from tablets and IV administering the resulting solution, but I have heard rumours that people either boil down the aforementioned solutions and IV administer it, or just inject as is, depending on tolerance levels, and how much harm they are willing to do to themselves. Some people have an impressive 'don't give a shit' attitude towards their body, once they get hooked on IV'ing opiates - I really don't understand why some people don't care about the harm that is being done, essentially failing to acknowledge it at all in certain cases. But then again, people come from different backgrounds, and everyone has their reasons for their eventual mental and physical decay.

Once again, oral solutions are generally not ever designed to be injected, and most times, with substances of this nature, the producers tend to make the medicine preparations with certain contents that are there to inhibit abuse, e.g. IV'ing a solution meant for oral administration. And this goes for pretty much all medicine, whether tablets, filled gel caps, oral or IV solution, etc., preparations are made with A) maximum profit through medicinal value and potential as a main factor, while bearing in mind B) harm-reduction and low abuse potential, of course depending on what type of medication is being produced. For example, producers of Suboxone thought the naloxone would prevent IV abuse, and thus be a way out of both opiate abuse and needle fixation for a near-doomed but help-hunting IV'ing junkie (that was an extreme example, so bear in mind that people go into buprenorphine/methadone ORT with much lesser abuse patterns, including myself)... but what do you know, an IV junkie always finds his/her way.

1<3 -bwanajzj

Last edited:
I've injected my cherry methadose in a large 10 mL syringe just changed the tip to one off a 1 cc syringe. Yes you do get a rush. I think the 10 mL syringe holds about 120 mgs of the meth. I've done all 120mgs and done 2-3 120 mg shots in a row. I've had no issues other than because the size of the syringe the vaccum is hard, you have to really hold the plunger back, and it seems my iv sites get used up quicker than when I was injecting herion in a 1 cc syringe and that I was doing 3-4 times a day for over 2 years.

I've injected my cherry methadose in a large 10 mL syringe just changed the tip to one off a 1 cc syringe. Yes you do get a rush. I think the 10 mL syringe holds about 120 mgs of the meth. I've done all 120mgs and done 2-3 120 mg shots in a row. I've had no issues other than because the size of the syringe the vaccum is hard, you have to really hold the plunger back, and it seems my iv sites get used up quicker than when I was injecting herion in a 1 cc syringe and that I was doing 3-4 times a day for over 2 years.

you INJECTED CHERRY methadone? omfg...take some anti biotics NOW!

10ml of sugar, flavoring, and so mucho ther shit is IN your VEINS NOW!

10ml for 120mg...jeus christ....you are so foolish bro...I don't even know how to stress it.

Seriously, why would you IV 10mL of anything, let alone methadone, there is no point to shooting methadone. You need to go back to supervised oral dosing, NOW. If you're shooting your methadone your at the wrong dose.

Just think of your best friend diving off a cliff of a man-made lake where boulders & tree stumps use to be before it was filled with water, would you let him dive in ? You're basically taking the same risk...

Seriously, do you know how much volume you're injecting?!? That is NOT ISOTONIC!

I got in a ...
NSFW:
disagreement with a friend the other day... we were discussing methadone and buprenophine as he (says) he is getting clean... I got clean several years ago and fully support this...

Anyhow... we started talking about methadone... I was an iv user and to get clean I found that injecting my methadone made it possible to use much smaller doses (which worked best for my situation)....

His opinion of that was that "shooting ur methadone is such a waste because you don't get the rush anyway and its shorter acting when ived"

I can respect him havinng a different opinion than me and obviously its different for everyone...

But the real fact of the matter is I'm free of addiction and have been for 4 years.... and he's been talking about it. For longer than that and every time I try to give any advice he tells me I'm wrong lol....

I guesss I don't have a specific question... just venting a bit lol....

How about

Has anyone had similar experiences and how did you deal with it... and what was the end result?...

I was really surpsised a mod would be posting something like this. 99 out of 100 people on methadone if that have ampules for injection, so I going to assume you get methadone pills, or worse you get a syrup at the clinic which you inject.

Mrflows doesn't really know what he is talking about.. methadone is not designed to produce ill effects when IVed. In fact you can get ampoules of injectable methadone like 20mg per 2ml etc.. It's teh same exact methadone thats in pills or syrup.. the drug doesn't change. THe ampoule soulition is safe to inject vs pills which contain particles that are not water soluble. I am assuming you do not micron filter, so if you are shooting the pills or worse the syru p (because of the massive volume), you are causing trauama which eventually might pop up on your one day.

I just imagine all the bags of dope i;ve shot and think damn even if a tiny bit of damage in some form was dont as a result itd add up to a mosterous amount lol. Luckily the dope over here is so clean you'd think it was hospital grade injectable diacytlemorphine its always 100% translucvent, the cotton comes out practically brand new. its like bam boom bang hard ass rush good legs throw a bit of copek in there and your at heavens gates.

I posted this a while back... long before becoming a mod... and even still im no suggesting anyone do anything.... this guy already does all this stuff he just seems confused about how they work...

I dont really talk to him much anymore because hes usually too smacked to talk to...

Also yes i did use wheel filters when i ived anything... and new syringes and sterile water etc...

I got in a disagreement with a friend the other day... we were discussing methadone and buprenophine as he (says) he is getting clean... I got clean several years ago and fully support this...

Anyhow... we started talking about methadone... I was an iv user and to get clean I found that injecting my methadone made it possible to use much smaller doses (which worked best for my situation)....

His opinion of that was that "shooting ur methadone is such a waste because you don't get the rush anyway and its shorter acting when ived"

I can respect him havinng a different opinion than me and obviously its different for everyone...

But the real fact of the matter is I'm free of addiction and have been for 4 years.... and he's been talking about it. For longer than that and every time I try to give any advice he tells me I'm wrong lol....

I guesss I don't have a specific question... just venting a bit lol....

How about

Has anyone had similar experiences and how did you deal with it... and what was the end result?...

So is fentanyl and dilaudid and all that... but they all have an iv dosage conversion... whichis sorta my point.... iv methadone is much more potent... which made me able to use it to quit by never running out and having to "sub in" an old standby....

And that's this guys prob... he bangs everything he gets and he thinks he can just taper his oxy scrip.... but he runs out of the month script in. A weeek... so he gets other stuff the rest of the month....

I told him to give methadone a shot.... cuz you learn fast that its a waste to bang a bunch instead of a lil

Methadone has an extraordinarily high volume of distribution, which causes IV methadone to be less efficient/effective than other IV full agonist opiates, such as heroin.

The BA for IV'd methadone is still going to be high, and some of it is still going to kick in quicker. However, I don't believe you're going to get a similar rush when compared to hydromorphone or heroin.

I changed your title so as to reflect that we are talking about IVing methadone. If anyone is to try this, I would strongly suggest them look into micron filtering, as common tablet/syrup preparations of it are not safe to inject on their own.

CH explained it. It's a waste.