• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Dose/Duration Question

desurion

Greenlighter
I recently switched from 16mg suboxone (8mg 2x daily) to methadone for maitenance. I'm still in w/ds while they get my dose right, I just started last monday at 30mg, im on 50mg atm tomorrow I go up to 60mg... what I'm wondering is if higher doses last longer for pain. I ruined literally all of my teeth from years of use and their all rotted and in serious, serious pain. I didnt think subs did anything for pain till I got off them. While it did nothing for the acute breakthrough pain for my teeth, it kept all the constant pain away which I didnt even know I had until now that im on the methadone. For the first few hours after I dose the pain is gone, but in the afternoon it starts coming back. They think ill need to be on at least 100mg which is what I thought too, just that they have to bring me up slowly. My question is that will higher doses last longer for pain relief and w/ds? The w/ds are TOO bad atm, still better than I was doing on suboxone which wasnt working anymore for me after a year, but not comfortable or perfect yet. My clinic doesnt do addiction and pain mgt, just addiction, and none of the pain mgt doctors anywhere near me are accepting new patients or will treat people with addiction issues, or they wont be able to do doses high enough for maitenance, and my clinic ONLY does 1 a day dosing and I wont have bottles for months if I wanted to split it half and half which I think would work better for me. Im just wondering if anybody has first hand experienced something like this and that having their dose increased or stabalized made their pain relief last longer... the pain im dealing with is an entire mouth of open wound rotting teeth and its excuciatlingly painful, like nothing ive ever felt.. worse than a root canal with no novacaine, its unbearable nobody can deal with it and I cant get pain meds... im taking acetominopin and ibuprofin together 1000mg/800mg every few hours like its candy and barely touches it. It keeps me awake, wakes me up halfway thru the night while I take more pills then forced to stay up till they kick in. Going thru about a bottle of liquid oragel a day.... cant keep dealing with this and I dont know what to do... its not as simple as getting the teeth fixed, they ALL need to come out at once which is major surgery which I cant do until im on a stable dose of methadone, so right now thats out of the question... what do I do? will a higher dose help me? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I might suggest is that your request a "peak and trough" blood test (they check your m-done levels at time of dosing, then again in 4-6hrs if I remember correctly.) If the results indicate that you metabolize your methadone dose unusually fast, which doesn't seem outlandish considering your symptoms are back after mere hours, maybe they'd be willing to find some sort of solution so that you can get your dose split up throughout the day.

It could also be because you haven't reached a therapeutic dose. In fact, now that I mention it, that seems most likely. If I were you, I'd consider any issues tor be temporary; you can worry about fixing them if they're still present after you've been on a stable dose for at least a few weeks.

My heart goes out to you - I know how difficult those first few weeks are, when you're still moderate-to-mild-ly dopesick, and you're just being shuffled in and out the door without being given a second glance.

I've been going to a clinic on a daily basis (for the most part... I do my best) and one thing I learned quick was that, if you want something to happen for you, you have to BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE. The staff (at my clinic, at least) seem desensitized to complaining, almost as if they assume it's fake or exaggerated - they certainly don't give anyone the bebefit of the doubt. Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself, LOUD, and repeat yourself if you must - to several people, if necessary.

Sorry I don't have answers to your specific questions, these are just some ideas that came to mind while reading your post. My advice to you would be, raise your concerns, be polite and reasonable but firm, and if at first you are dismissed, don't be afraid to insist.

I have also got same dental problems. I have tried dealing with them on my own using home remedies but now I strongly feel that getting proper treatment from our family Torrance dentist would be better. I am going to visit him pretty soon.