• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids methadone doesnt always last 24hours

Hezman94

Bluelighter
Im on zero painkillers i dont touch heroin i have the odd bottle of oramorph nut im pn 90mg methadone ssomedays inwake up in pain and agitated and somedays i wake up and can go back to sleep as it still working. What gives

Would saving like ten to twenty mg at night help or is it best to take it all in one go

Yes. Or even split your doses half in morning half at night if you have take aways.

It is not a time release medication it just has a long half life/duration of action.

You may metabolize it faster than others. I have to split my sub dose every 12hrs. If I waited the full 24hrs I'd start feeling sick around the 18hr mark. By 24hrs I'd be pretty uncomfortable. Then you have other ppl that can easily go 36+ hrs w/o feeling much of anything

Bupe doesn't last 24hrs for me either after 5 years of being on it. Normally when my bupe kicks in my pupils get very pinned. And usually about 12 hours (some times sooner) later they start to go back to normal size.

Bupe doesn't last 24hrs for me either after 5 years of being on it. Normally when my bupe kicks in my pupils get very pinned. And usually about 12 hours (some times sooner) later they start to go back to normal size.
That's how it is for me. My normal 4mg i do 2mg when I wake up for work at 4:30am another 1mg around 1-2pm and the last 1mg before bed

Sometimes i can get away with just 3mg a day but most of the time it's 4mg. Whenever i use for a few days I go up to 6-8mg for a few days

Ive taken lansoprazole and cyclizine last two days and had an increased high from the cyclizine and i was able to wait twenty eight hours as i took the methadone at 5am on sundays as i dont get takehomes but they let me take the bottle with me from the chemist. Is annoyig as my day starts at like 4am so i think its from waking up and needing my.pain relief as i have came off oxycodone and dihydrocodeine aswell as heroin

The analgesic effects of methadone last a little less then eight hours. As others have stated split your dose. I would consider into three doses daily.

if you don’t currently take vitamin D supplement I would add this daily. If your male then I would have your testosterone checked asap and continue to do so at least two times a year while on testosterone. Chronic use of methadone can significantly negatively influence levels of vitamin D and testosterone. A quality daily multivitamin is also a great thing to consider.

Last edited:
That's how it is for me. My normal 4mg i do 2mg when I wake up for work at 4:30am another 1mg around 1-2pm and the last 1mg before bed

Sometimes i can get away with just 3mg a day but most of the time it's 4mg. Whenever i use for a few days I go up to 6-8mg for a few days
Have you been on it for a decent amount of time?

I think for most folks who have been on maintenance long enough will end up needing split dosing. I think the body learns to metabolize and eliminate these drugs faster and faster after taking them daily for years, so split dosing almost becomes a must. Or at least that's been my experience anyway.

Oddly though, some times my pupils will be huge when I go to bed at night and then I'll wake up the next morning feeling a little hazy and they'll be small again, Almost like bupe unattaches for some hours & then re-attaches to the receptor at another point, causing miosis again.

Im taking a afternoon dose now as it doesnt kick in for 3 hours or peak for 6.
took 65mg first thing and 25mg 6hoir later.
so hoping gives me extra 6hours.

Plus i havnt fell asleep today i nodded a bit i find sleeping makes it wesr off