• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methadone Detox Question

Sickneveragain

Greenlighter
After 9months of heroin use I've finally made up my mind to get clean and sober. Signed up at a methadone clinic today and went thru all the normal crap. They gave me a 40mg liquid dose to start. All was fine and dandy until about 8-8:30 this evening. Started to feel the rls and stomach cramping. Along with the sweats and body aches. I was under the impression I should have been good till the following am and my visit. But boy was I wrong. Was smoking 2+ grams a day for 5-6 months. Did they not give me enough meth to make it thru the night? Should I ask for a higher dosage or take home dose?

thoughts on MMT

Hang in there--I believe it takes 5 days for a person to start stabilizing on their dose because of the nature of methadone. Be VERY careful during the induction phase with Methadone due to its long half life. People that try and take more too soon end up with a real problem in a couple of days when it builds in your system. For the exact reason it is used in place of heroin is the exact reason one has to be patient-(long vs-short acting )

Hopefully you got thru the induction phase. As someone who was on MMT at 300mg for 12 years I feel the need to tell anyone who keeps going up on this drug to chase the high is setting themselves up for MISERY later on. While I once was a rabid methadone advocate I have now tempered my enthusiasm and in my opinion this drug is best used at the lowest dose that WORKS for you (I dont advocate substandard doses because what is the point?) and then just use it for the SHORTEST time to get you off your DOC and to stabilze you a bit and then say BY BY.

In my opinion methadone doesnt really enable one to make vast improvements in fixing your living problems. Many people find after years on MMT they still have not made the changes and improvements they need to to improve their life. The only difference now is that it just doesnt bother you. Helping one tolerate bad situations is not my idea of a real answer...

I finally REALIZED as I went thru my 12 year apathetic stupor is that being in warm opiate induced cocoon while pleasant as it may seem does NOT motivate one to make positive changes. Think about it. One only makes hard changes to rid themselves of the pain of their present condition. Being UNCOMFORTABLE motivates.

Whew--didnt mean to go off on a tangent. Just dont want anyone making same mistake i did.