• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Methadone and weight gain

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I have a few important questions for those who are on (or have been) on methadone maintenance. I've done a lot of research online - many people have indeed said they gained weight (sometimes a LOT) after starting treatment. There doesn't seem to be any consensus though on whether or not it was directly due to the drug itself. Personally, after nearly 2 years on a high dose (220 mg) I've gained up to 35 pounds! That has certainly never happened to me before, even though I used to eat a lot more junk and fast food, go everywhere in my car, etc. I've gained and lost weight, but never like this. Any thoughts?

MORE IMPORTANTLY, I'd really appreciate if somebody can answer this question for me because I have yet to find out anything at all about it:

If you're on a certain dose of methadone for maintenance and you lose a significant amount of weight, will the effects of the drug likely increase or decrease?? It's a powerful drug, and common sense dictates that the same amount of drug will affect lighter persons more than heavier ones. That said, methadone is extremely lipid soluble and has an extraordinarily high volume of distribution. It tends to stay in fat for very long periods of time. That makes me wonder if losing fat might actually render that same dose LESS effective.

These are really important issues for me, so if anybody who knows (or think they may know) anything about them could answer them, I'd be very appreciative :) Thanks!

what is your question?

yes, it makes you gain weight. I never had a problem myself but I've read about it 39393939229292x's over the years. you have to also take into consideration that you may be living a differently lifestyle than you once were. when I was using dope I barely had money to eat, lived a junked out type lifestyle. once people get on methadone and "clean up" a bit, they start to have money, eat more, live a different type life and its not always a healthy life.

weight really doesnt play a part at that stage; tolerance is what plays the part when it comes to the actual effect. you may lose some weight but your body been taking 200+MG of methadone a day for the last 2 years, so that is what your body has been getting used to, regardless of weight. same goes for all drugs/addicts.

Ya that. Everyone I knew who went with done got a little chuncky, also everyone I knew LOVED their sweets at nighttime..by everybody I mean like two people. I've gained weight on Subs, though it causes me not to have an appetite(it's derived from theabaine I think, like oxy,hydro, which when I was taking pills I NEVER ate...had to buy pills, plus I didn't really have an appetite on Oxy/hydro or any other opiate, I wouldn't eat cuz I thought it killed the buzz). But anyway I don't know if my weight gain is due from being on Subs OR taking benzos/Gabapentin which seem to give me the munchies, so I'm gonna go with benzo's/gaba/phenibut have made me gain weight. If I ever go on done' I plan to exercise and eat healthy, cuz I don't wanna get fat...but over the last two years of Subs I've gained 20 pounds, maybe a little over. But Subs do take away my appetite, but I tend to eat outta boredom(chocolate!) and my fellow pill/methadone person I use to get stuff from who I give Subs to say they make them eat when they take them..Anyway...maybe it's just something about long-acting opiates, though I think I read something about Methadone affecting the thyroid, thus gaining weight, not sure though.

Dude, you realize everyone thinks you are dead right? Could you please do everyone a favor and go back to the thread where you said you took an insane amount of methadone then disappeared for a month making everyone think you had OD'd and died. LIKE NOW.

^^ Glad you're alive OP.

Everyone I know who takes methadone gained weight since starting. It seems like opiates make you crave sugar which contributes to the problem.

Tolerance may be affected slightly by weight gain/loss but it has more to do with how often you dose, which is usually once a day. Nobody that I know of has had problems because of this.

Methadone definitely changed my metabolism. Having been on it before, and each time gained about 25-30 lbs, and every time I got off it I lost that same weight. This is even though I actually tended to eat the same way on it or off it ( clean time not using so can't attribute it to that)

It definitely is due to the drug for me and not lifestyle changes.

But I can't help with whether or not the efficacy of the dose changes depending on weight. It may, but I would think it would have to be a significant amount of weigh not just 25-30 lbs. As you said it is fat soluble so it could have an effect.

Maybe some more scientifically minded BLers can help ? Have you tried the ADD forum or whatever's it's called now? (Neuroscience something)

Dude, you realize everyone thinks you are dead right? Could you please do everyone a favor and go back to the thread where you said you took an insane amount of methadone then disappeared for a month making everyone think you had OD'd and died. LIKE NOW.

lol

Methadone definitely changed my metabolism. Having been on it before, and each time gained about 25-30 lbs, and every time I got off it I lost that same weight. This is even though I actually tended to eat the same way on it or off it ( clean time not using so can't attribute it to that)

It definitely is due to the drug for me and not lifestyle changes.

But I can't help with whether or not the efficacy of the dose changes depending on weight. It may, but I would think it would have to be a significant amount of weigh not just 25-30 lbs. As you said it is fat soluble so it could have an effect.

Maybe some more scientifically minded BLers can help ? Have you tried the ADD forum or whatever's it's called now? (Neuroscience something)

I totally agree with you. I used Methadone for years, gained 20+ kilos. Never lost the total extra amount when I stopped as I became more like a food person thinking that food would have been my replacement 'drug'. I guess I lost 9 kilos (~20-22 pounds).
Have also started doing exercises and became more active at work.

But only in the first few months. Now, considering I'm not on my 30's anymore and it took for ever for me to start with exercises I guess I'm okay. I don't sweat as I used to, that is impressive. I'm very glad it stopped.

Indeed!!

...what?? Seriously?? I thought people would realize I rarely post. Sorry, I really do appreciate the concern though. I'll do that now.