• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone and Oxycodone

Tezbass

Greenlighter
My Dr has had me on Oxycodone for years. He now added methadone in addition to help control my pain. I take 15mg Oxycodone every 4 hours and adding 5mg methadone 2 times a day. What can I expect? Will adding the methadone make me feel high?

Hi,

As you were already taking 90mg of oxycodone and have developed tolerance, taking 2x5mg methadone will probably not make you high. Just please dont up the doses of methadone by yourself because it could become dangerous (OD).

You can think of methadone as slow release opioid medication add on. It lasts longer (not 12 hours for analgesia, more in 6-8 hours range) and after 4-5 day's it accumulates in your blood. So there is a difference between strength or 10 mg acute (once weekly lets say) and 10mg methad
methadone every day. Be careful with methadone and please dont up the dose chasing the high - the oxy type high will not come but the respiratory depression will, faster than you realise if you push it.

This is just a guess but maybe your doctor is not comfortable with upping oxycodone dosage and that is the reason why he is introducing methadone. Were you thinking about crossing over from oxycodone to methadone completely? Do you have trouble with controlling use of oxycodone or does your doctor suspect it?

I ask because it is not usual combination. It is a rather risky one with all interactions and nuance risks that methadone is bringing. Not at this dose of methadone but I still can not see the full logic.

All in all, don't try to get high on methadone. It can be done but the high is much different than oxy high. 2x5 mg should not get you high although it might prevent you from going into withdrawal from oxy.

Respect methadone and take care. 🙂

I don’t have a problem controlling my Oxycodone just controlling my pain. When I started going to my current Dr my previous Dr had me on 30mg oxycodone when he passed away I started going to my current Dr who said 30mg was too much and cut me to 15mg. I have had a lot of trouble controlling my pain with 15mg.

I believe you and 50% reduction is a big one. It's a real pity what mess they made in USA in last 10-20 years. I am from Europe and can just guess though. To me it would make more sense to put you on some slow release opioid preparation with IR as needed. Without bringing methadone in the mix. I asked cause I can see this being a tactic from your doctor to transfer you to methadone. Maybe I am just paranoid but it seems that USA doctors are under pressure and a bit paranoid themselves.

I hope methadone helps you. It can be a good painkiller. I have used it and was good for pain. I just didn't like the side effects. But that is just me. You will have to see how it effects you. Just don't up the dose by yourself cause methadone can be really tricky opioid to "work with".

Yea, I totally agree with psycho_logic regarding the dose. Definitely don't fuck with the Methadone dose at all if you're looking to get the most out of your pain medication. 90mg of Oxycodone per day is a relatively high dose, especially in the current climate of limited prescribing. I think what the Methadone will do that will benefit you the most, is that it will smooth out the edges of your pain control.

Oxycodone, compared to Methadone, is a short-acting Opioid. It's only going to last 4-6 hours, with 4 hours of serious analgesia to be expected in most people. Taken orally, you'll experience onset of effects within a half hour given normal stomach content. Methadone is much different. It is a long-acting Opioid. To compare the two, Methadone is going to start working at about an hour when taken orally and is going to produce analgesia for at least 5-6 hours and for many 8 hours. Now this only applies to taking a single dose. Methadone will build up to what is called a "steady state", that is, a stable level, at about day 5 of a given dose change.

Once this steady state is reached, you will have Methadone working in a behind the scenes kind of role, providing pain relief around the clock at a relatively low level. Meanwhile, you will continue taking your Oxycodone as usual and this is going to provide you with the same level of pain relief as it is now, only with the added benefit of the Methadone cushion making you feel a little more stable inter-dose.

Does that make sense?

Yes that actually makes good sense. It is actually what I am looking for. I need good around the clock relief and it sounds like this is exactly what I need. I needed this without it making me feel high so I can do the things I need to do.

Thanks for all the responses. They have answered my questions. I like to research any medication and its reactions with the other meds the Dr has me taking.

My Dr has had me on Oxycodone for years. He now added methadone in addition to help control my pain. I take 15mg Oxycodone every 4 hours and adding 5mg methadone 2 times a day. What can I expect? Will adding the methadone make me feel high?
Methadone in high doses is awesome. He's on the way to ruin your life so enjoy what you got while you got it. Once they start methadone its downhill from there and truly no hope. What's your 3 month goal?