• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Meth+ wellbutrin/bupropion(antidepressant) interactions and blood pressure

DislikeSobriety

Bluelighter
Hi guys, 2 minor questions.. My friend's blood pressure is usually at most 140/90 and heart rate 110 after smoking meth but she's just started 150mg wellbutrin extended release taken once the in morning.

She took it for two mornings and on the 3rd morning she skipped a dose and smoked meth instead, her blood pressure shot up to 160/100 heart rate 128 is this sort of high blood pressure and high heart rate a cause for alarm? Like does she need to get the readings down quick? She tried milk, coconut water, taking a stroll, breathing exercises, taking a hot bath, soaking feet in warm water and pressing of pressure points. She's tried almost everything google suggested but to no avail. What should she do to reduce the blood pressure and heart rate?

Or is it just the side effects of the drugs that isn't harmful or dangerous if its only for a few days at a time, as it reduces to 120/80 and 90 heart rate after sleeping?

I understand one needs to seek immediate medical attention if BP above 180/120, is it still recommended when it's drug induced

Also shes supposed to feel effects like wakefulness, motivation, focused in 1-2 weeks with regular morning doses. But as she's skipping doses to play meth twice a week perhaps, does wellbutrin simply work when she's managed to ingest the equivalent of potency of 1-2 weeks with regular dose, so say perhaps only after 3 weeks or irregular dosing wellbutrim will have a impact. Do you recommend that she stops skipping dose and take wellbutrin regularly till it has reach high levels of the drug in her body?

Last edited:
her blood pressure shot up to 160/100 heart rate 128 is this sort of high blood pressure and high heart rate a cause for alarm?
Well, how was she? If OK, I'd say no as the cause is known, no? - I mean hard to say as I know neither you nor her and her preexisting conditions. But assuming she's other wise healthy I'd say: monitor and wait until meth stops working the natural way. Don't panic.

She tried milk, coconut water, taking a stroll, breathing exercises, taking a hot bath, soaking feet in warm water and pressing of pressure points. She's tried almost everything google suggested but to no avail.

Not surprising this outcome, imho. I guess only an intervention alpha-/beta-blockers and benzos could be successful in the event of an overdose.

What should she do to reduce the blood pressure and heart rate?

Not take meth while on bupro.

Hahaha apart from some heart discomfort/pressure/squeeze during the meth high she feels fine. she's late 20s, no known existing conditions though she had one possibly drug induced 1 month psychotic episode 1.5 years ago and is also on 350mg every 3 months paliperidone/invega sustenna to date. Insane how a mixture of drugs could have so much impact. Okay thanks gonna try get some beta blockers next time she visits a doctor.

Do. Not. Use. Meth. While. Taking. Welbutrin.

I made that mistake once and was just lucky I was home at the time, otherwise would've ended up in a psych unit.

Actually, I read a medial journal that stated taking Bupropion 150mg while user took Methamphetamine resulted in a reduction in bp/pulse rate and a reduction in hr.

google it and you will find the article.

taking Wellbutrin prior to Meth can have a beneficial effect on cardiovascular adverse effects.

I'm a male in my early 50's, weigh around 175lbs. and in decent health. I take 300mg. Wellbutrin XR daily. I have never noticed any positive or negative effects while doing meth simultaneously over the last decade or so of doing such. I just smoke fewer cigarettes. A positive.

Taking Bupropion and Methamphetamine together in any amounts is contraindicated as a ‘Severe’ level of risk. The principal risk seems to be one of seizure. A wide range of other drugs and supplements create additive risk if also consumed with this combination. The risk is dose dependent and lasts after the clinical effects of the meth are no longer felt.

The seizure risk potential is also a blown out of proportion b.s. liability disclaimer.

many other drugs carry a much greater risk of lowering the seizure threshold than Bupropion

I read that this elevated seizure liability about Bupropion was overstated at some FDA approval testing, but that this misconception was already listed and known... “the damage had been done referring to Bupropion lowering seizure threshold”

It nowhere as near a concern as people seem to think it is.

yes be careful, but not so bad

The seizure risk potential is also a blown out of proportion b.s. liability disclaimer.

many other drugs carry a much greater risk of lowering the seizure threshold than Bupropion

I read that this elevated seizure liability about Bupropion was overstated at some FDA approval testing, but that this misconception was already listed and known... “the damage had been done referring to Bupropion lowering seizure threshold”

It nowhere as near a concern as people seem to think it is.

yes be careful, but not so bad
No offence. And I personally have no idea of the truth of the matter. But it would be great to post a reference for a claim like that.

It's been two days since she started sleeping nightly and 4 dose since last dose. Her BP still fluctuates from 130-150 HR 100-115. Unless they could linger for days or weeks after last dose, maybe it's not bupropion and meth causing hypertension and tachycardia but is due to paliperidone and bupropion.

Oh well guess the benefits of bupropion is not meant for her, she's decided to stop bupropion and hopes readings return to normal. Thanks for sharing your own experiences. 😘

As for the seizures, for the record my psychiatrist did ask if I had seisures before, which is no, prior to prescription.

I read it in a medical journal...

I’ve been prescribed Bupropion for nearly 8 years off an on, so I’ve done extensive research on it, as with every other substance I’ve taken. My doctor stated that too before prescribing it to me, but later on through my research I read that in a medical journal as well.

It does lower the seizure threshold somewhat, but not as much as the fear mongering “hype” has led people to believe. Be cautious while taking it, especially if you’re prone to seizures, DDI with other meds, and are taking the higher dose range of 450mg daily

Researching for SWIM:
Is there any answer to what actually can happen as an adverse reaction to using Methamphetamine, while being prescribed Wellbutrin? I'm ready a lot of mixed feelings on the outcome being positive or negative for the person being at higher risk of having a seizure, hypertension or tachycardia afterwards.

I am curious of what the chances would be of delusions or hallucinations? I'm sure that sleep deprivation alone could be the cause however the symptoms seem to worsen with onloading of the Methamphetamine in my case I had observed.