• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Meth- being horribly mislead by the media

Jim_Morrison

Greenlighter
So I have done meth probably six or seven times now, all in the span of 2-3 months. I have noticed that every time I do it I get more and more sick of it the days after, but paradoxically, I also get more used to the sleep deprivation. I have never stayed up for more than 30-35 hours before; I have always managed to sleep.

I feel betrayed by the people who educated me about drugs when I was growing up (I'm 20). Everyone always told me to stay away, showing me horror stories of end-stage meth users with nasty faces and skinny bodies. What they didn't tell me is that every individual reacts differently. I have stayed up all night with my buddy and the next morning (after we talked for hours on end) stayed productive. He is an artist, so he was writing a verse while I was writing a paper for my university class. The next day it is indistinguishable whether or not we slept, not to mention if we smoked crank or not.

I'm not saying meth is all sunshine and rainbows. In fact, after the last time I used (3 days ago) I have felt more anxiety than usual. But every day it gets better, and of course I still think about it, but I am smart enough to wait a bit until my next use. The "not even once" slogan is complete bullshit and is oversimplified. I honestly believe I can use this drug, sparingly, to help me be more productive.

I'm not worried about the physical dependency aspect of the drug. I have abused many drugs in the past and have always been smart enough to not fall into the rabbit hole (including opiates). Drug addiction isn't just because of the drug- it is because of the underlying issues of the drug user. I am worried about the physical damage meth does to the white matter in the brain. It's a damn shame meth is neurotoxic , because if it wasn't, I'd be using that stuff like a morning cup of coffee.

Thoughts?

Sleep deprivation is cumulative for many. Some people fair better than others without sleep, especially if decent recovery/rebound sleep is allowed, but make no mistake: If you had one copy of you that used meth 5 times a month and during those 5 times skipped 2 night's sleep in a row, and had another copy of you that didn't use meth, and played things out for ~5-10-20 years, you would see some serious changes between the two versions of you.

The point is that for many people adverse effects of drugs, as well as addiction itself, creeps up on them. Sleep deprivation in particular most people can tolerate pretty well at first, but it doesn't stay that way forever. Comedowns tend to get worse and worse as time goes on as well.

CY

I'm not worried about the physical dependency aspect of the drug.

i think you should be at least wary of the addictive potential of meth. it can become very, very compulsive, as i know from first hand experience, and many can attest to.
i've also known it to change people - personality wise. and not for the better.

i don't mean to sound dismissive, but if you've used 6 or 7 times in 2 or 3 months - you're in what's known as the honeymoon period. lots of drugs start off seeming benign and wonderful - with no downsides - but most drugs seem to have deminishing returns if you keep using them.

i used to do meth, when i was the same age you are - and i think it suffers a bit from the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome. The Man tells us that all drugs are bad, will fuck up your health and your life and your mind - but because so many illicit drugs have been demonised and lied about, we tend to dismiss all anti-drug warnings.
but meth isn't like cannabis - it can, and does, have some pretty serious risks attached to it. i remember how much i wanted to stop using it, after a while....but another part of me really craved it. even using it once a week.

i must urge caution. it can really do a number on people, and i've lost friends because of it (some because they changed so much after getting into it - and some because they died to to circumstances that wouldn't have arisen if they had never gotten involved with it. i've used an awful lot of drugs in my time, but meth has a habit of making my life go to shit. everyone's different, but your current feelings about it are really common, and in my experience you don't really notice the darker side of it until you're in pretty deep.
and frankly, if you're not careful at this point, you're going to find out what meth addiction is like. it's not like heroin or alcohol or other substances - but it has these 'hooks' that just make you crave it. very compulsive.

Yeah, not much of a legitimate comparison taking someone who's used a half dozen times and saying "hey, I'm not anything like that guy that's been strung out for 20 years, so I'm all good!"

And as has already been brought up, just because you've not become dependent on a drug yet it doesn't mean you're immune or won't possibly if you keep indulging. Most everyone starts dabbling here and there, and before you realize here and there are getting closer and closer together, and while two hits used to be too much, oh wow, now two hits doesn't do anything but annoy you at best, make you irate at worst.

Mate, completely understand your point of view.
Why can't they really warn me of drugs, about how they really are?

I have used meth, mdma or ecstasy, many research chemicals etc for over 20 years.

Im not an addict, i dont look like those folk do in the scare campaigns...
But, but but, im not living to the potential i could.
Im not exploring life and growing to the best of my ability, because i spend some time researching drugs.

They do limit my capacity. That wasnt clear in the propaganda! Why didnt i know that this very slow incremental use, would somehow not be good for me???? WAIT... I WAS WARNED.

Honeymoon period is a great description, and yeah drugs are fun and feel good. You can take them only infrequently. For years and years and years.
But, with my challenges around use, desire and general fascination of drugs, i WISH FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I NEVER NEEDED TO START.

Im lucky btw, played the game and alive still...

Hopefully you can read into this and get my point, drugs dont make you a monster or incapable human, necessarily, but dont value add, AT BEST!!!!

Wiserthanearlier said:
Why can't they really warn me of drugs, about how they really are?

that's where bluelight comes in ;)

look, i use drugs, and have had some great times. i mean - obviously right? (to us)
but i've also had some nightmarish horrible things happen, it's affected some of the decisions and options available to me - and i've had a few close shaves with death and disaster.

and one of the harsh, heartbreaking realities of this forum is that members die far too often. it's why a healthy respect for - so it must be said that understanding the risks is important if you want to avoid drug related harms.
we don't want to sugarcoat anything - this is the real deal in my opinion. no agenda pro or anti drugs - just information and discussion.

i don't think it's about whether a drug is good or bad, harmful or harmless - because they can be both, depending on how they are used.
that's what harm reduction is all about!

it's not black and white - which is where prohibition propaganda gets it totally wrong.
almost everybody ignores or disbelieves the government line on many drugs of abuse, because they've bullshitted us and oppressed us for the last century.
locked us up and even killed us for seeking to alter our consciousness - which is somehow meant to be for our own good?

i think you be wary of having too rosy a picture of meth.
it feels amazing, especially at first. but there is no question that it can seriously mess you up. there are plenty of horror stories shared on bluelight; a lot of them from meth enthusiasts.

i think honest information is really important, rather than getting too caught up with bias from either side - drugs are good and bad, and just because risk is exaggerated doesn't mean that there isn't truth in some warnings.
just say know :)

Last edited:
I'm not saying meth is all sunshine and rainbows.

Welcome to meth. It'll get worse.

In a year or two, you'll probably find what you wrote above amusing, at least, if not naive.

If not, good for you.

But on the whole, this isn't something you should delude yourself into believing you can readily manage.

The big thing is, those guys that have been strung out for 20 years, started out exactly the same way you did.

Ya everybody in that honey moon stage says they won't be like those drug users. Quick to separate yourself but I don't think there's one person that said oh I'm gonna be exactly like those pictures i see of a hardcore user. And if you have used it less then the number of fingers in your hands, that's pre honey moon stage. Honey moon would mean your married. Your in the first few dates lust stage. Talk to a long term marriage partner of meth and see what is said. People say that it's not the drug but who is taking it. There is some truth in that but usually with meth if it has you saying that it has already got you but you don't know it yet. Mental illness can play a part if one has some type of illness. Its a sneaky one. Just be cautious because your right, there is complete bullshit info on it esp by the government but it also can be very destructive in somebodies life.

They don't call it meth mouth for nothin! Trust me, it's not a myth. I've seen some of the nastiest mouths you'll ever see from meth use. Hell, just look at the chemicals in the drug itself. It's UFB honestly. Don't delude yourself into thinking you're the one and only that won't turn out like that.

if you have used it less then the number of fingers in your hands, that's pre honey moon stage. Honey moon would mean your married. Your in the first few dates lust stage. Talk to a long term marriage partner of meth and see what is said.

qft

I don't even wanna go into that one, I've spent much too much time awake for my own good.

I think I managed a 5-7 day stint with a few 15 min naps once. It took months for brain function to (apparently) recover from that one.

Right after I quit, I slept literally 12 hours a day for probably a month, then back to insomnia and chronic fatigue.