• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Meth and metabolism

Abject

Bluelighter
Can someone please link me to how (methyl)amphetamine affects metabolic pathways and nutrition related hormones?
How does it affect the krebbs cycle when eating or fasted? Fasting glucose and insulin levels?

Specifically Oxaloacetic acid

Nothing? I know it affects digestion speed/motility but I've got a feeling it affects cellular respiration/metabolism

I saw some studies' abstracts saying methamphetamine affects more than 1 gene's expression. Sounds fascinating. Didn't have access to the full articles at the time.

Can someone please link me to how (methyl)amphetamine affects metabolic pathways and nutrition related hormones?
How does it affect the krebbs cycle when eating or fasted? Fasting glucose and insulin levels?

Specifically Oxaloacetic acid

Meth is much stronger centrally than peripherically. This is because the addition of a methyl group to the amphetamine structure makes it far more lipophilic, which allows it to cross the blood-brain barrier and cellular membranes much more effectively than amphetamine (because the cellular membranes are omposed mainly of phsopholipids and free polyunsaturated fats). This is the same reason why heroin is a more effective euphoriant than morphine, as it's higher lipid-solubiltiy makes it more centrally bioavailable).

So I guess that meth is a strong sympathomimetic agent, but perhaps not as strong as amphetamine. You would expect the effects of meth on body metabolism to be comparable to that of other sympathomimetic amines. It releases adrenaline from the adrenal glands, which in turns stimulates the release of glucagon, which raises blood glucose levels and glycerol and free fatty acids. This in turn, stimulates the pancreas to release insulin to restore homoestasis. That is, it stimulates fat loss while dimishing appetite, but it will probably increase your hunger latter on.

Bodybuilders used back in the 1990's a combinaton of caffeine, ephedrine and aspirin for fat loss. This resulted in fat loss, but after many had strokes, they stopped using this. My own personal experience with sympathomimetic amines like phenylpropanolamine, amphetamine, diethylpropion, meth, etc, is that they decrease my appetite and increase my metabolism at first, but then make me much hungrier.

I think a much better solution for fat loss is to cut simple carbs and oils, which add nothing but calories, switch to complex carbs with lots of fiber like veggies, and do 1 hour of fast walking a day. Walking is actually better for fat loss than running becausde running burns mostly glycogen, while walking allows the body to mobiize a slower-burning energy source which is your fat deposits. When you run, the demand of energy is too great so the body needs a quick burning source of energy. The beta-oxidation of fats is slower.