• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Meth and mental health

Justadudeondrugs

Bluelighter
Hello...long time Opiate addict here but know nothing about meth and have a question...My best friend for many years moved away several years ago to have her kiddo and be close to her family..
She's an amazing mother ,friend etc etc but last year a lady moved in next door and got my friend into somking crystl and within 6 months she went downhill so fast ,. Her family took her kiddo and sent him to live with his dad ,. She lost all her long time customers ( she baby sits)
Lost her car was talking in gibberish when I was trying to be a long distance friend helping and this went on a while all the time her saying she's not on drugs but he's anxiety and depression is what was ruining her life .. this is super long so I'll cut it down. Let's say less then a year later on the phone she is in a super happy place but talking all this spiritual shit that is over the top imop. Said she was in the shower and watched her black soul peeling off of her going down the drain and it got cought on her toenail and she was cutting it off w scissors. Etc. This kind of stuff Evey time I'm in the phone with her ..she claims to be able to read people soon as she meets them and that she has been healing people's ailments with her touch .. anyway she still swears she has not been using drugs blah blah ( her cousin has witnessed her smoking meth)
But anyway,. My question is could meth cause people to have mental breakdowns or trigger a dormant mental issue or ????? I just want my old friend back :/

From my own experiences, yes. I live in a region where meth is part of the culture, part of the social networking of many people, I mean it's impossible for me to accurately describe how deeply imbedded into society meth is around here. And there are plenty of those who either had mental issues prior or now have mental issues that were brought out with lots of help by their meth use. See them walking down the street everyday. It's like no other place in the world. Completely saturated with very likely some of the best meth that can be found in this country.

Absolutely, 3 days lack of sleep without meth use can cause hallucinations and scrambled thoughts. There are those that do meth that stay up for upwards of 4-5 days straight, sometimes more. This behavior can definitely happen

I have seen it happen in people. It is close to impossible to convince them that they are delusional as well once a certain point is reached, which is very frustrating.

I hope that your friend gets the help that she needs.

Yes, prolonged usage, inhibits neuron pathways from functioning as they should. Users start acting impulsively, neurotic behaviour, flipping out, going from being happy and getting angry and losing their shit over nothing, very quickly. Their minds stops thinking things through rationally.
What brought it home for me me was seeing a healthy brain compared to a meth riddle one on MIR scans.
Whoa baby !

Stimulants will always be a trade for a trade. In fact, every drug works like that... some sort of 'equivalent exchange.' I would discount weed and nicotine from that though, lol.

Addiction is a beast for sure. Yet.... everyone knows that they will have to give up something when they try meth or heroin for the first time. Everyone. Even if deep down they approach it with narcissism--and that they'll be the "exception," they know that they will lose the game some point in time.

Stimulants are really best used as a non-daily drug. I would see the exception for low-dose adderall or something like that with people who truly do have focus issues their entire life. The diminishing returns from stimulants--meth especially--are just too potent to use day after day for years. I know that meth is captivating and people struggle with the substance just as much as heroin. At some point in time though, I'm sure your friend started to quickly notice that she was about to trade everything and still could not stop.

I'm just going to be straight with it. I've smoked meth off and on periodically in my life, snorting burns like hell, hot rails do too (heating one end of a glass tube, or metal, then snorting it, which will make it turn to vapor while snorting which gives you the effect of smoking and snorting, which if done right will produce vapor when you breathe out). I've never touched a needle in my life and I never will. But those are the ways I've done it, meth is water soluble, so it can be put in your drink, and it will immediately dissolve, I knew someone who put it in their coffee.

And so, prior to Covid, I had only ever gone on binges, two to three days in length, or so, and I was done for a long time. I guess I should state, I'm Bipolar I also, and my life has been extremely difficult for the past few years. I moved completely away from where I used to live, to try to start over, and then, literally a month after moving, comes Covid. So, for those who took it seriously, like me, we are supposed to stay inside and away from people. Yet, isolation is the exact wrong thing for most anyone with mental issues. So, in my isolation, my mind went back to all the bullshit of everything that has been going on, and, I found a source for meth.

I've always been extremely careful when using anything hard, and with meth, a little bit really can go a very long way. I don't use the butane lighters, which heat it up so quickly, as many people do, instead I use a candle, which heats it up much slower and allows me to much more accurately control how much I'm getting. And so, after smoking off and on during 2020, and then, as these personal issues just kept getting more and more intense (love, gd f'n love). So, the more intense my issues got, the more I used. Yes, tolerance is definitely part of it, the longer you use, the more you will use. I found a much better source, who gets much better shit, which is something very key, especially with meth, as the lower quality might be cut with no telling what, the purer, the better, and is much safer, for these reasons.

I'm high right now as I write this. And after a year and a half, or so, I've been going pretty damn hard on meth, before this, I had only ever used pot and alcohol on any kind of a regular basis, nothing else, ever, in any kind of prolonged way. Granted, I stayed drunk for about a decade, possibly a decade and a half, and I smoke weed with anything I do, as for me, weed balances me, with any substance I've ever done. Being that I fully understood how powerful meth is, I still smoke extremely lightly, and the only way I do it, is through smoking. I know how it affects me, and I know when I've had enough, or, as does sometimes happen, did a little too much. Which, when my ears start that buzzing, or whatever it is, I know I need to chill out, and I do. I haven't ever gone too far, the longest I've ever stayed up is around three days, usually only two though. I have a system, which I follow, and for me, it works.

And so, how does anything I've said relate to the topic? Honestly, straight out, it really doesn't, explaining things from the perspective of a meth user, was what I intended to do, yet I found myself focusing on my more than I wanted to. So with drugs, everyone reacts differently to everything. There is a certain drug for everyone, that is the absolute wrong thing for them to find. Meth is mine, yet I also understood this extremely well before I started using it again. Sitting in my apartment, I don't even get paranoid, I don't get so full of energy to where I have to just always be doing... something... like is what happens to most people. For me, meth helps me to focus my mind, and I've written a whole lot on it, because of this fact. I typically will sit in my recliner, and mess around on my computer. I sometimes watch TV Shows, I'll try to teach myself things like basic programming, which I am not good at in any way. And just sit, still, not fidgeting, not constantly up and doing shit, just chilling and screwing around on my computer.

Meth, will make me absent minded, in the sense that if I am past a certain point, I'll start doing something, like trying to figure out one specific thing, but I'll end up never even coming anywhere close to figure that one thing out, and go through 10, 20, 50, 100 different things, never figuring anything out, just Googling a lot of stuff with the intention of doing it. Yet, I have always been the exact opposite of hyperactive, and in so many ways, meth affects me in positive ways, such that are things that other people seem to be able to do normally, which I am not able to - at least, not that well. Adderall is the exact chemical composition as meth, except for one molecule, at least from my memory, I'm pretty sure that's true. Which Adderall is a weaker, legal, version of meth. The way meth affects me, is how I assume it is intended that Adderall is supposed to help those who it is prescribed to.

Yet, unlike me, I've done meth with quite a few different people, and not one person I have ever done it with is able to just sit in one spot, still, for any amount of time, much less the entire time. Paranoia is extremely common also, people literally peeping out of the blinds every 2 minutes. People, also, who don't understand how strong it is, will do more than they should, get tweaked out more than they should, and stay up longer than they should. I've never slept a full day, I've gotten close, 18 hours or so, maybe a little more, but I knew people who would sleep for 1-2 days, after their binge. I tell myself I could quite at any time, and I want to believe I can, I've pushed my sober days, being I stay sober longer than normal, to test myself, and I don't get to where I'm phening out or anything, but when I finally use again, it does ease my stress levels, so I know getting and staying clean will not be as easy as I want to believe.

Man, I truly have to apologize, I truly thought I would have much more useful things to say, than what I have ended up writing. I just never could stop talking about myself, and how it affects me. What you talked about her talking about, I've never come anywhere close to experiencing on meth, LSD or Shrooms, maybe, but not on meth. She definitely seems to be in a very bad and unhealthy place. Whether she truly is using or not, from what you said, I'd say very possibly something, maybe even meth, which can be cut or mixed with anything really, so something like that is also extremely possible. When I was in rehab, I learned that when you mix multiple substances, they combine to substantially increase the effects of both things. So, if that is going on, there is no telling what she might be using, or the effects it may have on her. And after my year and a half on this, I'm not much different than I was before I started. But I believe that is due to my intent of getting to a certain point, and not allowing myself to go past it. Many people can't have this kind of self restraint.

Anyways, I hope my rambling helps you. And I truly hope your friend gets help. Yet, on that note, another thing I learned in rehab, is that you can't force someone to stop, the only way it will ever truly be successful, is if it is a choice made by them. Yet that being said, forced detox, might be something that would work, as when she finally gets completely sober, and is able to clearly see and understand how much it affected her, could help push her to that conscious decision to quit, and stay clean. But, it may have the complete opposite effect also, I've known people that have gone to both extremes, one sobered up, and stayed sober, the other isn't with us. Which, is just another reason why I force myself to go easy, as I fully understand what is at stake. I apologize again, I truly did think I would have more useful things to say. I wish you and her the best of luck, as addiction, especially to meth, is nothing but bad.

EDIT:

I had no clue I wrote this much, I blame meth, I just hope something I said can help you and her. Also, yes, absolutely, meth can wreak extreme havoc on mental health, which I have noticed within myself those rare times I do go a little too far. Long term effects, are well documented also. I truly hope you are able to get the person back that you once knew.

EDIT:

Talking about how it has to be her decision, and how her mind has to be made up, it should also be said, that logic and reason are thrown straight out of the window when it comes to drugs. There is no way to rationalize things with her, or to her, people can talk until they are blue in the face, and get absolutely nowhere. She has to want sobriety, more than she wants to get high, which can be extremely difficult to find especially in the depths of addiction.

Last edited:
Hey @iTokeAlot very nice post. I really empathise within what you are going through and it’s solid advice from personal experience that should help people. I’ve been addicted to meth a couple of times and am now around 4 months clean with just one minor relapse. It takes me many false starts to break a binge. But it can be done and long term recovery is possible both physically and mentally.

BTW are you aware of this thread?

It might be good if you have lots to post while you are high but maybe not so good if you are trying to quit and avoid triggers but then again if you want to see some minds truly fucked up and sent insane by meth as a kind of incentive to quit that is where you will find them.

When you’ve got meth on one hand and mental health on the other, you’ve really gotta pick one or the other point blank period. There’s about a 0.0000001% of those two things synergizing

Hey @iTokeAlot very nice post. I really empathise within what you are going through and it’s solid advice from personal experience that should help people. I’ve been addicted to meth a couple of times and am now around 4 months clean with just one minor relapse. It takes me many false starts to break a binge. But it can be done and long term recovery is possible both physically and mentally.

BTW are you aware of this thread?

It might be good if you have lots to post while you are high but maybe not so good if you are trying to quit and avoid triggers but then again if you want to see some minds truly fucked up and sent insane by meth as a kind of incentive to quit that is where you will find them.
Thank you for the kind words, after writing all of that, I've not checked back until now, as I was worried about the reactions I may get, yet now that I am back on it again, I figured I would check. I hated how I kept focusing on myself, as I was truly trying to give some good advice, but I can only pull from my experiences, and I have fortunately never gone as far as many have. I'll check that link you gave at some point, when I feel I'm in a writing mode again.

Also, congrats on your sobriety, as I'm learning, this shit ain't no joke.

Yes, meth can and does cause this with chronic use. It's been shown to have clinically significant effects in terms of neurotoxicity and semi-permanent of the brain. It's a neurological risk as well as a psychiatric one.

Thanks for your post. I Tottally agree. Its related too somekind emotional psychological at least in my case, problems or diffucult moments who let me go deep in my meth abuse, but anyways this is allways subjective, but the hardcore use was in the worst moments in my life, im 30 y/o and using daily with some 1 to 3 months every year for the last 7 of them, but im taking other pharma drugs even to keep me functional, the depression and anxiety hits me hard, and some agressivity, especially all of them when im stoping the daily use. I do sleep daily and eat a little better, not so good like when im starting after few months of being clean, when i go to the point i need to stop for several weeks, is a lot of time lost in the addiction, i had forced rehab half of my months clean and i thank god every one of that time without drugs, but i know thats a pole very hard to be in, i cant imagine myself doing legal and illegal drugs daily, becouse i work better, maybe half psychological half long time habituation, polydrug daily user half of my life, surely meth is one of the more mental hardcore drug, the harder part is the addiction and how difficult is to even condsiderate an option stop it.
I dont know very good how to write in english, and have 36 hrs clean so it can be even difficult to me to write propperly without a little dose of that shit, but i know i will never "little dose", if i can be in the pipe all the day, i will be, and its what scares me about this addiction.
Try to get your mate to forced rehab if the years have already past and she's stunk, its one option, with mixed results, i have being very adverse and violent to my family becouse they even stopped my work two times, but i was caring a shit about my life and have recognized i will never be in that point of misery, but the more time you get hooked phisically and mentally, you always walk to that points in the life with the worst mental health i dont want to remember, but im walking to they anyway with my daily use, pharma have helped a lot to keep me functional, but i dont recommend pharma as an acute treatment, works more to use pharma and starting meth at the same time, i never use meth without benzos or even alcohol, its very discomfortable, and i keep my benzo doses low and dosing cona every 48 hrs, but im drinking so much some days or using pregabalin, i lately added mirtazapine and sertraline, very helpful in a wide meth atenuation effects, when i have like 1 year of daily use, add drugs not help with my meth abuse/quitting, and is when i need to stop for at least a month, its painful, but i guess i will take at least january clean, i got tons of work this last december and can take 30 days to live from my savings easily, just i hope to remember myself to do it, i will try to copmromise with someone soon, but honestly i dont want to quit, and i dont compromise with other ones, duh.
EDIT: i change a with with a without, and im lazy to change if is one more over the text, i have writed flowessly under meth effects, thats what sucks more and i know few months clear will help me a LOT hahaha.
EDIT: im watching you bumped a post of the past year lmao :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Very much so it is the cause of a mental breakdown. I’ve actually tried to kill myself a few times from it. It also depends on the person’s ROA, diet, if they sleep normally, how potent the meth is. It has a lot of different factors.

Some people go rather kind of quick to lose their shit. While others maybe it would take years, and then you have life users who just handle the drug a lot better. I know how hard it is to see your friend like tht, I’ve been on both sides. And yes it does make your heart hurt for them going through psychosis and poor mental state. Have you talked to her about anything yet? Maybe rehab is an option or just a detox and a break from familiar environments. The truth as you probably know is they have to want to change before the program can even scrape the surface. I’ll keep your friend in my and my family’s prayers and best blessings toward you and your friend Peace.

Hello...long time Opiate addict here but know nothing about meth and have a question...My best friend for many years moved away several years ago to have her kiddo and be close to her family..
She's an amazing mother ,friend etc etc but last year a lady moved in next door and got my friend into somking crystl and within 6 months she went downhill so fast ,. Her family took her kiddo and sent him to live with his dad ,. She lost all her long time customers ( she baby sits)
Lost her car was talking in gibberish when I was trying to be a long distance friend helping and this went on a while all the time her saying she's not on drugs but he's anxiety and depression is what was ruining her life .. this is super long so I'll cut it down. Let's say less then a year later on the phone she is in a super happy place but talking all this spiritual shit that is over the top imop. Said she was in the shower and watched her black soul peeling off of her going down the drain and it got cought on her toenail and she was cutting it off w scissors. Etc. This kind of stuff Evey time I'm in the phone with her ..she claims to be able to read people soon as she meets them and that she has been healing people's ailments with her touch .. anyway she still swears she has not been using drugs blah blah ( her cousin has witnessed her smoking meth)
But anyway,. My question is could meth cause people to have mental breakdowns or trigger a dormant mental issue or ????? I just want my old friend back :/
Absolutely it triggered a severe psychosis in me and ended up in the psyche ward 6 times. I believed all kinds of things and was dillusional. I had to go on meds and it was very helpful

Thank you. We are still working with her and although she won't yet go to treatment , she seems to be getting a little better mentally .. it now she's on this far out trippy shit how the stars and our Shakira bla bla bla. I don't really know what exactly she's talking about but it makes sense to her and she always sounds like she's happy now so that's progress. I wish I could afford to fly up for a week and try to help her but like most folks I'm check to small check