• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

*MERGED* Guide to narcotic withdrawal

Being someone who had a moderate addiction to opiates (high doses of oxycodone and hydrocodone primarily)...I feel I have enough experience to comment on this topic.

I have gone through w/d SEVERAL times, and each time I was far more prepared for it as I knew what to expect. This made it easier to cope with IMO. So you first timers try not to fret...IF you have to do it again, you will be better prepared for it.

For sleep, I would suggest a short acting benzo like xanax combined with a longer acting one, such as valium. IE: something to knock you out and something to keep you there for a bit. Sleep is hard to come by the first 5-6 days in w/d. For pain I would suggest ibuprophen, it seems to help with the skeletal aches and pains better than other OTC meds. For the shits, as everyone else says immodium A/D...its not a cure for the bowel issues..but it WILL help a lot. Another very important and absolutely critical item is food intake. FORCE yourself to eat ATLEAST 2 meals a day...and make them as well rounded as possible. I personally like eggs a lot, and eggs contain good protein and the yolks contain good fats...so I would suggest to anyone to scramble up eggs for yourself twice a day. The protein will help your body begin to rebuild, repair, and return to homeostasis. Do not forget carbs, try to eat fiberous carbs such as those found in whole grain foods as well as sugar to help boost your energy (and mood as we all love to eat sugar). Also, DRINK lots of fluids, preferrably WATER...you need to flush your system and help what nutrients you are taking in circulate and get to where they need to go. Of all the important items I've listed, food and water are by far the most important. They will help you regain your strength and get you out of w/d a LOT faster.

Try and make sure you have all things prepared and ready ahead of time, as you will of course have almost no energy to take care of it when in w/d. It makes things a lot easier if you are prepared.

Try and distract yourself with any means possible. Sex and/or masturbation if you can muster the energy to do so (I find I crave that release when w/d'ing). Music, I find soothing music to be best for me. I personally like classical music...but listen to what you like, there is no right answer here.

Hot baths (especially) and showers REALLY help with any aches and pains, I personally took about 4-5 baths a day when I was w/d'ing as they were soooo helpful.

Anyways...I know thats kinda jumbled together, but im late for work...so I am typing in a rush...

Best of luck to everyone in w/d...I know it really, really sucks ass. But you can do it!!

As a last note, I found that the primary w/d fell off for me after about 5-6 days...but I kept feeling better and better over the course of 3-4 weeks afterwards as I kept feeding and sleeping properly. I think I gained complete normalcy back after about 5 weeks or so. I also gained back a good 20lbs (I didnt eat much at all as dope took all my money, I looked like a starved etheopian when I first started w/d lol). You may be different.

^you forgot the Clonidine which takes care of the sweating, the high blood pressure, and many other symptoms...

I advise tapering as much as possible for 2 weeks and then going cold turkey to anyone who wants to quit. I would only take Ibuprofen + Klonopin during the day and Ambien or another preferred sleep aid at night.

Oh yea and immodium in the morning and at night for at least 4 days. (Well if you have a bad habit at least, you'll know your body)

I dont think taking a shitload is a good idea for you mentally or physically. All those pills eat at your stomach and can create other dependencies ya know?

Drink lots of gatorade and or water, try to excercise when not in pain. Walking or jogging is good :)

Vitamins help many, if thats your thing do it!