• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Melatonin reverses benzodiazepine tolerance

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
I have had a long interest in reversing tolerance to drugs of abuse and medical drugs alike as shown by my many posts and threats I have started on similar topics. However I have recently come across something that really interested me, and article containing a case report where by a benzodiazepine dependent individualWho had tried to quit the drugs many times decided to take melatonin only expecting it to help negligibly with insomnia. However they were shocked to find their dependence and addiction to benzodiazepines eliminated even after melatonin supplementation was stopped. I am wary Of results that sounds so good, but if there is some truth behind it, or other people report similar results, then it may be an interesting avenue of research to pursue, especially in the case of benzodiazepines given life threatening nature of unmanaged withdrawal symptoms and the devastating consequences of addiction to them
Has anyone experienced something similar?
Are there any benzodiazepine tolerant or dependent users here and are they up for trying melatonin?
I think the dosage of melatonin was probably slightly higher than the therapeutic dose for insomnia .
Any contributions will be appreciated and I hope many people benefit from this information.

This is a very interesting topic and i allways urger people to take individual case reports serieusly and in cases like this to try such intervention themselves, this was extremely succesfull when i posted about DXM and memantine, that particular intervention wasnt hypothised by me, but well researched after reading a few case reports following reading rodent research which urged me to put all data togheter.

So again i would encourage people to try this intervention and report back, any links to those case reports?

This is a very interesting topic and i allways urger people to take individual case reports serieusly and in cases like this to try such intervention themselves, this was extremely succesfull when i posted about DXM and memantine, that particular intervention wasnt hypothised by me, but well researched after reading a few case reports following reading rodent research which urged me to put all data togheter.

So again i would encourage people to try this intervention and report back, any links to those case reports?

Sorry I can't post links because of my vision problem but you can just Google melatonin reverses benzodiazepine tolerance, and you should find something. I have heard that the tolerance reversing and anti addictive effects of melatonin comes from its activation or modulation of the peripheral benzodiazepine receptor. I wonder if it would have a similar effect on an alcoholic by reversing ethanol tolerance.

Thanks for posting those links, I hope it convinces benzodiazepine addicts to give this method A try. I wonder if this affects of melatonin was known but suppressed by the pharmaceutical industry.