• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

Ah, ok this is another issue.

Do you have plenty of employment history to leave off the one where you were fired for xanax? These are totally separate grocery chains, correct? A lot of times how far they will dig depends on your position too. Is this a management position? If not, you can be more relaxed. I doubt they are calling previous employers for bag boys and cashiers. If you're handling money or pharmacy work, then they could dig more.

I've known plenty of places that blow off weed stuff. Most people don't see it as a big deal even if they say they are drug free.

For the drug thing, did they arrest you or just give you a citation? If you weren't arrested, don't worry about it. Nobody cares about a speeding ticket.

An arrest will show up on a background check, but they hand you the background check paperwork to sign along with anything else to fill out, so you know if they are doing a background check. Unfortunately, I would not lie about it if you were arrested. I've seen it go both ways. Someone lied about this and the company fired them when the background check came in a few days later, and I've seen someone with jail history for drugs be honest about it and they hired him anyway.

The only place that I have been employed is the grocery store & I am currently trying to apply to a landscaping company. If I do not put the grocery store on my employment history I will have NOTHING on there. So while it was a shitty cashier/bagger job I feel like that looks better than not having any job at all on there. I guess either way there is a gap because I have not been working for half a year. Volunteering is a good idea, but I don't want to wait. I need a job and money now. If I leave the employment history completely blank they would HAVE to wonder what I have been doing with my life since I got out of school. What if I said that I have been doing freelance work and just didn't put anything for employment history? (This is true)

I wasn't arrested for the speeding ticket or the paraphernalia, just given a citation. I figured that if I was honest about that and acted remorseful they would still hire me. But if they knew I was doing xanax ON THE JOB I think that things would be different.

I am starting to think that it would be best if I just acted like I never even worked at the store, but still was honest about the charges. Would you agree? If so, any tips on coming up with a story for what I have been doing with my life during this huge gap of time?

The only other option is to put the grocery store down, and lie saying that I resigned or come up with a different story about why I got fired hoping that they do not call and check. This would still leave a gap in my employment history.

How old are you. Could you say you have been travelling, looking after a sick relative or tried going back to study and found it wasn't right for you?

How old are you. Could you say you have been travelling, looking after a sick relative or tried going back to study and found it wasn't right for you?

I am turning 20 soon. I worked at the grocery store during my last year of high school and some time after that. I have not been working for about 6 months after being fired. During this time I have done some freelancing work, which has not been making enough money to get by on. I am lucky in that I have a place to sleep. If I don't start making more money soon there will be some serious problems in my life.

I could tell them about the freelancing and say that I have been taking online courses but decided to take a different path in life and want a real job. Sound believable? There is a huge gap between my high school graduation and the current time if I do not say that I worked at the store.

I know a lot of people when I was in your age who hadn't went to any jobs before and they just said they had been on different courses for youngsters trying to find out what they are going to do in their live.

You are just turning twenty. Don't bother with your job history yet. I know plenty of people who had hired twenty something people to various jobs without them having a prior job history and they have turned out fine.

I am 32 and it would be shitty for me to try to apply for a job currently since after honorable resign from military due wounding I have only worked as a consultant on my own company for about a year and after that a year as a debt collector and then there is nothing for five years as I have just been using opiates and writing some freelance stuff and nursing my book projects.

Unpinning this but wanted to bump it so it doesn't disappear immediately.