• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Mega dose vit C for opiate withdrawal -- has anyone tried this?

Arahant

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

I'v been an opiate addict for the last 8 years, not the whole time.. its been over 8 years but I'v been clean about 1.5 years, maby abit more, out of that time... that last time I was clean was about 2.5-3 years ago and I was clean for 11 months and was loving life and rarely ever thought about using opiates, that really should have stayed that way but that little voice tells you that things are going well and maby you can use just every once in awhile... was a big mistake and I hate myself for letting it go this long, but now its time to face the music.

I'v had abit of a wakeup call lately and im ready to quit, I tried doing a cold turkey and almost lost my mind, now I'm tapering while researching my options, a few things came up that apparently have helped some people take away 80-100% of the WD's, not just for people with small habits or short lengths of abuse either, I'v seen people with 7 year + straight habits say one or the other method worked for them and gave them their life back. Both methods I'll mention do have the odd person saying it didn't work for them, so there does appear to be a variable of personal body chemistry, but the majority of people said it worked for them for both methods.

The first method I'm sure alot of you have heard about if you've spent any meaningful time researching opiate withdrawal, especially on this forum or others, which is taking high doses of loperamide, also known as immodium, I didn't make this thread about that as there is already a large amount of threads on the topic, but I'll touch briefly on it because of the potential it has same as the next method... normally people take 1-2 pills just for the shits during WD and it works well for that, its not suppose to cross the blood-brain barrier so you can't get high off it(although some people have gotten high on, but I believe it has to with what I said earlier about personal body chemistry)...

But what some people do is take like 10-20 pills, twice a day, and report that it removes 80-100% of the WD's, this works better if your drug of choice's dosage isn't extremely high, everything from low to moderately high seems to work quite well, there is plenty of threads out there if this is new to anyone and wants to research it. The problem is I'v already read abunch of people who used it for this reason(to get off opiates), but they somewhat foolishly took them to long, and soon found that when they tried to get off the loperamide, they had bad WD's from it, as they waited to long and just switched one opiate for another, I still think it works well for 90% of people, but honestly the WD's these people described scared me alot.. So I kept looking for other options, honestly not expecting to find anything.

Then I came across some people talking about taking high doses of vitamin C, it didn't really make sense that that could do anything, I have a pretty good idea of how addiction works, with opiate receptors and tolerance, and natural things like dopamine and endorphine production being shut down, not only are they shut down and have to get started back up after a long time being shut down, but your receptors have become desensitized(ie the opiate tolerance you experience) which causes your dopamine and endorphins to not work very well even when production starts back up... so the idea the vitamin C could somehow block WD's didnt make any sense, but I researched it and found quite a few threads and posts of people saying they tried it and it was basically a miracle for them, taking away 80-100% of WD symptoms, and again it wasn't just with people who had small habits or had only been using a couple months, one person said they quit a 7 year long methadone habit, jumping from 80mg a day cold turkey, taking high doses of vitamin C, and experienced almost no WD's at all, I believe they took the vitamin C for 3 weeks and tapered near the end.

There is more then just the anectdotal evidence of people posting their success with this on forums, there is atleast half a dozen scientific studies about this that have been done, on mice/rats and guniea pigs, aswell as heroin addicts, and all of them have found it to be effective to lower WD symptoms significantly, I won't post the links here as I said there is anothe thread, actually a number, on this forum aswell as some others, if you do a search for them, that have the links, aswell you can find the links independently on google.

By the way, recommended daily intake of vitamin c, for just nutritional reasons(or as i understand it, the minimum you need to prevent acute scurvy) is something like 45-60mg a day, the dosages we are talking about to prevent WD's are between 20-100 GRAMS a day, if you were to take this much of just plain old ascorbic acid you would have incredible bad cramps/diarrea, which is why people doing this take another form, either sodium or calcium ascorbate, which is more or less the same thing but not as acid for the body and you can tolerate much higher dosages. Another thing, which I believe is the reason that the few people who have tried it and it not work, is that vitamin C gets metabolized and flushed out of the body very quickly, you can't just take a dosage a couple times a day, or even 4 times a day... the protocals for this say to take a dosage every 1-2 hours, adding up to roughly around 40-60 grams over the course of 24 hours.

Anyways I didn't mean for this thread to be about me educating people about how all this works, I wanted to ask anybody reading this if they have tried this method and if it worked for them, if it did or didnt please tell me the method you used, how much you used and how often you used, saying that you took one dosage of 10grams and it didnt cure you doesn't help me really as thats not what is called for.

Also please refrain from calling this bullshit and saying it wouldn't/couldn't work if you havn't atleast tried it and know that for a fact it didn't work for you, if you have tried then by all means go ahead.

Its worth mentioning that even though the doses are so high, that buying sodium ascorbate in bulk isn't that expensive, i bought 750grams for about 70$ plus shipping only the other day, it will be here in a couple days and I am going to be trying this to see if it works, but I'm trying to get the most information possible in the meantime, alot of the threads I'v read are atleast 1-2 years old and I didnt want to necro them, so this is a more recent thread on the topic if anyone wants to discuss it.

To be honest, I have never tried using vit C for opiate WD... mainly because I don't see how it could help with the pain/hell I go thru when it comes to opiate W/D.
But imo, at MOST, I would think that it MAY help somewhat with some of the other effects of opiate cessation, but not the pure pain.
Also, you never mentioned what opiate(s) you use and at what doses and for how long etc... and theres really no way to fully answer your question(even from someone with experience with using vitC) until you explain all of that.

Well I did mention for how long, but I'v been taking quite abit of poppy seed tea for the last 2.5-3 years, i'v been mostly stabile at a certain dosage for most of the time, i recently binged on heroin for 3 weeks, I started out with about 20mg and it took more like 30-40mg to get a decent buzz... by the time the 3 weeks were over I was doing about 120-130mg of good H, every 8 hours... when I tried to go back to the poppy tea, i had very bad withdrawals, sometimes the withdrawals would actually get worse after drinking abunch of tea, which scared the crap out of me... so after 5 days I finally was able to get some oxy and stabilize myself on it. I'm currently taking 60-80mg a day, slow release.

Anyways I disagree that there was no way to answer my question as I was only asking if someone has tried the mega doses of vit c for opiate withdrawals, which is seperate from whatever I'm doing, I'm just hoping that some more people who have actually tried it would come forward... seems like in all the threads of I'v read about the topic there is 2 different kinds of people, one person whose tried it and say it worked for them... and then other people who havnt ever tried it and say it wouldnt work, don't waste your money, just go through hell instead...

In anycase I will be trying it in a few days, i have ordered what i need it will arrive in a couple days and I will be doing a journal on how it works for me, so I guess we will just see, would just be nice to hear from people who have actually tried it, at high doses.... I always find it funny when someone says "yeah i tried it, i didnt work for me... i took 2 grams and I felt the same" when the protocals call for you taking 40-100grams a day, if you were taking 100mg of morphine a day and then tried to stave off WD"s with only 5mg of morphine, it wouldn't help you much.

I 'm a new bluelighter and would like some tips/advice on what vitamins, foods, OTC meds help ease the pain of heroin withdrawal. I've been using daily for a little better than a month now and would like to give my body a break for a bit. I take medication for HBP that includes clonidine so I know that will at least help a little. I have not been taking the clonidine while using the H. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie, if you've only been using a month, one easy way to get off is with kratom.. you just take it at a certain dosage to just cover WD symptoms, then lower your dosage everyday as quickly as possible, when your only taking 3-4grams a day of kratom you can jump off with minimal problems, honestly every week you wait to get off the WD's will be worse, if your only a month using get off as soon as possible.

I did not know Kratom could be used for that purpose. I was wondering about the pos anxiety, when you stop, deal with WD, but craves for dope again.
That does not happen when you use Methadone. And for that amount of time, it would be minimal.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I wasn't familiar with Kratom so I'm looking into that this morning. I had already thought about the Methadone route and there are several options for getting dosed that aren't too far to travel to from my home. I also already take Clonidine for my high blood pressure and have heard that it would help ease me through some of the withdrawal symptoms.

I just recently tried vitamin c,not to quit opiates just to take a break. I have a habit of .4 to .7grams of good ecp iv'd, though the last week or so i've gotten it down to .25-.5 daily friday about 4pm i did my last dose started taking some chewable 1000mg (1gram) vitamin c tablets mine are 500mg sodium ascorbate the other 500mg is asorbic acid and rose hops mixed not sure how much of each.I know from experience more than 12 1000mg pure asorbic acid pills free my bowels up.but with these chewables i can take more.Anyway i started about 7 pm eating 3 of them to start then one every hour after that.I went to bed about midnight woke up about 3am feeling a little achy and chewed 3 pills with a protien shake and went back to sleep i slept till about 9am again feeling a little rough when i woke i took 2 pills and drank a shake.about 9:45 i started to feel better.i took 1 an hour till about noon then went to 1 every hour and a half.I did everything i normally do during the day saturday and the worst i felt was slightly achy at different times throughout the day. Normally 12 hrs after last dose and im feeling pretty rough and by 18hrs. I'm in the bathroom with it coming out of both ends.i continued the vitamin c until i went to bed saturday night about 11pm.I woke up again about 4 am feeling rough,this time i took 3 pills and drank a shake and went back to sleep until about 9am sunday.and took the vitimin c until about noon then i went and scored some.I come home and did 1 and felt nothing almost like the vitamin c blocked it.i waited and did another about 4 hrs.later and everything was lovely with it.im sure some people are gonna call BS or say it was placebo i dont care all i know is it seemed to work for me.

No one knows nothing, I'm going to take 30+ grams of C a day and tell you how it will work, so far so good, but the final verdict is still out, gonna start WD tomorrow and mega dosing with C, it takes 3 days to start to take effect, meanwhile I will take 4 dilly 4's a day to ease the symptoms, all at once of course because it doesn't count if you only take it once during the worst days.

Hello I am new here, I have just started WDing and went to VitaminShoppe and purchased Super Bio C Buffered (as Ascorbic Acid, Rose Hips, Acerola Cherry 1000MG (1 Gram), Bioflavanoid 500mg, Rutin 100mg, and Citris Pectin 30mg in the pills) 125 count. This is buffered release, meaning half of it will release right away, and the rest will absorb up to 12 hours after intake says the bottle. I also stocked up on a bottle of Copper because I hear super-dosing C can deplete your Copper and Iron and leave your heart weak. Okay so let's begin. I have started off taking 3 at a time, i am currently at 12 during hour 4, and I feel major relief from the chills, and the malaise. My stomach is going crazy, but stuff is actually passing through my system! I still feel minor aches and pains, and joint discomfort but it is truly helping me through this stage of WD. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes tomorrow when I up my dose to 4G an hour. Best wishes.

*note* my body is still pretty hot, and wearing a sweater inside causes sweats, best to wear a long sleeve shirt, and some pants for sleep to prevent the heat from spreading all over and causing night sweats. (I rarely sleep under my blanket) to allow cool air to pass over me.

Last edited:
*WARNING*Vitamin C in high doses causes kidney damage!

When my father was young he came across some flavored vitamin C vitamins that he mistook for candies. He ate so many that the ambulance came to pump his stomach as his kidneys were compromised. Even today he has kidney stones from a variety of factors but please be warned of this.

I wouldn't dose more than 1,000mg (1g) vitamin C/day.

There is a chart you can easily find on the internet which lists the vitamins & minerals which in high doses can be dangerous, there are only a few that you need to watch out for so its good to know as most vitamins are water soluble and can be excreted easier than others.

Yes tried it...up to 20g-30g per day.....along with every other purported miracle WD cure..(magnesium & zinc...valerian root tea...could go on all day).

Made absolutely no difference whatsoever.. .other than to make the diahorria even worse.

I know some people get incredibly defensive when people don't accept the miraculous claims for vitamin c as a virtual panacea but IMHO it's utter bullshit...I've yet to see one convincing study human study regarding ORAL vitamin c's efficacy for some of the maladies it's meant to fix...specifically, one that is peer reviewed and accepted as valid by the scientific and medical community at large...

If OP feel it worked, then good for him...but personally? A long, long, long way from being convinced

? What are you talking about? That and water with a really HIGH PH, and 83% of symptoms gone

FACT! Oh, and a side of Valium