Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Medical Records

qwerty123

Bluelighter
If I am under 18 yet need to visit a doctor to get a prescription, am I able to obtain a prescription without the consent of my parents? and if i do get the prescription, are my parents able to access my records?

^ If you are of a reasonable age (i.e. over 16, even over 14) then your privacy ought to still be respected. this doesn't apply if your doctor is a cunt and decides to personally get in touch with them (e.g. your doctor is a family friend), but that is unlikely and only in the rarest of circumstances would a doctor undertake such action without informing you or seeking your consent.

if you have your own medicare card (or any medicare card with your name on it, even if it's a family card) then take it with you and you are eligible to visit the doctor (if your doctor doesn't bulk bill and you don't want a partial rebate, then you don't even need to take your card).

once you are in the doctor's office, then he/she will give you the prescription if they are of the opinion that you need it after assessing your case - so if the doctor wants to give you the prescription, it is between you and the doctor only, and noone else needs to be contacted, and it is highly unlikely that anyone else will be consulted, because it is your confidential business with your doctor.

as for your records, a request by your parents to see your records probably wouldn't be honoured if it wasn't made with good cause (so long as you're over 15 or 16 or around there, i don't know of a well-defined cut-off, or even whether or not there is one, but you certainly don't need to be over 18 to enjoy the assurance of privacy in your dealings with general practitioners). i am not entirely certain, but to the best of my knowledge, records of individual patients are certainly not available on a per-request basis - there are privacy laws and professional ethical obligations that easily supersede parental alarm and concern in importance, depending on the circumstances of any given scenario.

if your really worried just go and see a MO in a big practice and tell him you dont your folks to know, he'll note that and if he does he'll put his job first instead oiof ratting on your folks,

Be upfront with ur doc and just ask him/her. Explain why ur there seeking help in the first place and if ur parents were to find out it would be more difficult for you. If the doc says he may speak to ur parents go to another doc, i gather u have a health care card so problem solved. hope that made sense I had a few : )

What is confidentiality?

Confidentiality is about your privacy, meaning that any information you write down or tell someone about will be kept between you and that person. It is common to confide in friends because you trust them. Keeping certain things confidential is kind of an 'unspoken rule' in a friendship.
What about confidentiality and health professionals?

For doctors, counsellors, youth workers, interpreters, teachers and any other health professionals, confidentiality is part of the law. In most situations, doctors and other health professionals must keep information given to them by patients or clients confidential. However, they are required to report information they receive if they have serious concerns about your or someone else's safety.

If you're unsure about what a health professional will have to report you might want to talk to them about what they do, and don't, have to pass on. You might also want to find out to whom they have to report the situation - it could be your family or carer, or the Department of Community Services. In very specific situations it could involve speaking in court or to the police.

If a health professional does have to report a situation they should talk to you about it first.

How important is confidentiality?

The answer is simple 'REALLY' important. Being worried about whether a health professional will keep your experience confidential is normal. Going to see someone might be a new experience and it may take time to understand and trust the person and the system. It is possible that you or someone you know might have had a negative experience with a doctor or health professional. This might affect your trust in them. If this has happened try to remember that not all health professionals are the same and you might need to find someone who is better suited to you.

Does age make a difference?

Yes and no...

Across Australia, turning 18 means you are legally an adult. All young people aged 18 and over have automatic rights to confidential care. In NSW and South Australia this applies to a young person 16 and over and in the Northern Territory this applies to young people 14 and over.

In other words, even if you live with your parents, you automatically have a legal right to go to a doctor on your own and receive confidential information and treatment no matter what. The doctor must not tell your parents anything without your permission. [Emphasis added]

The exception to this is for a person of any age (under or over 14, 16 or 18) who may be at risk of killing or seriously harming themselves or someone else. In this situation the health professional might need to break confidentiality in order to keep them safe.

For more information about the legal age to automatic rights to confidential health care in your state you can check out www.lawstuff.org.au

But confidentiality is still your right in almost all circumstances - Even if you are under the age for 'automatic rights' for confidential care (see first paragraph above) you can still go to a doctor confidentially. This means that you can talk about personal things including feelings, sexuality, sex, smoking, drugs and relationships in private.

If the doctor discovers during a conversation with you that there is a serious safety issue involved then they must ask themselves the following question:

Is your safety at risk because of someone else?

If you are under 16 and you let your doctor know that someone is harming you, or has harmed you in the past and it is affecting your health now, then the doctor by law must notify proper authorities in order to keep you safe. This applies in nearly every state and territory in Australia.

The 'proper authority' is a government department that is charged with caring for the welfare of children and young people. This will include things like physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, neglect and domestic violence.

This represents a situation where the doctor must break confidentiality - it is called "mandatory reporting" and the doctor is breaking the law if they don't report it. If you are 17 or 18 years old, the doctor can also choose to report the situation, but it is not mandatory (compulsory). This may be scary and it is really important that your doctor lets you know exactly what will happen and makes sure that you have plenty of adult support - from your doctor, from parents if appropriate or from other appropriate people.

What about being involved in criminal activity?

This depends on the seriousness of the crime. Doctors are not required to report illegal drug use to the police, although other health professionals may be. They are also not required to report underage sex to the police or to anyone else.

The questions the doctor must ask are identical to those above - is your safety at risk, is someone harming you, are you mature enough to make your own decisions about treatment. If you are involved in a serious crime (this can include drug dealing, committing sexual assault, committing physical assault, causing grievous bodily harm and so on) and you tell your doctor, they might be required to report this.

Other health professionals may have to report illegal drug use or underage sex, when you are speaking to a health professional it is a good idea to ask them what they are obligated to report.

What about being able to get medical treatment, such as a prescription for the contraceptive pill, without parents' or carers' permission?

Young people aged 18 and over are legally adults and have automatic rights to make decisions about their own health care or treatment, such as prescriptions for contraception. This process of making your own decision about receiving treatment is called 'giving consent'. Exceptions to this law for young people 18 and over would only be in the case of someone with an intellectual disability or a mental health problem that seriously affects their ability to think clearly and make decisions about their health.

Some states and territories in Australia have made special laws for young people under 18 to make their own treatment decisions (or 'give consent'). In New South Wales a young person can automatically give their own consent to treatment from the age of 16. In South Australia this law also applies for young people aged 16 or 17, as long as two doctors agree that the young person is mature enough. In the Northern Territory young people 14 and over can automatically give their own consent to treatment.

However, even if you are under the age where you can automatically give consent, you may still be able to give your own consent and receive treatment without parents' or carers' permission. The critical question that the doctor must ask themselves in this situation is:

Is the person they are seeing mature enough to be able to make important decisions about treatment on their own?

If you want or need a particular treatment, for example a prescription for contraception, or counselling for depression, then the doctor must decide whether you are mature enough to give your own consent for this treatment, meaning that you will get the treatment without the doctor getting permission from your parents or guardians.

In the great majority of cases the answer is YES. In many cases the doctor will talk with you about the appropriateness of involving your parents or guardians in some way even if it's just to let them know that you are going to see them about "some health concerns". If you refuse to let the doctor say anything to your parents or guardians, then the doctor must carry on keeping confidentiality, unless there is a concern about safety, as talked about before.

Obviously the younger you are, the more likely that a health professional will want to involve parents or carers in some way. If it involves an operation (including a termination of pregnancy), it is very likely that the doctor will insist on getting your parents or guardians to consent. Some doctors and hospitals will not give you treatment (for example a termination of pregnancy, or a minor operation) without your parents' or guardians' consent if you are under 14 - but it will depend on each and every situation.

Since this is not really a Drug Discussion issue, I would refer people to the thread I linked above for a discussion about whether a GP can tell anyone about your discussions with them regarding drugs and/or addiction.

BigTrancer :)

Thanks for the help guys, i think if i go to the doctor and just tell him not to tell my folks, then there shouldnt be any problems

cheers,